Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers..

Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers..

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
4/16/12 at
9:11:32 PM

...these are a few of my favorite things...well, the first two anyway...my first meetings with Judy P. not-withstanding.

It's only a brief mention in this interview, but Stephen King is writing a novel called Joyland, about an amusement park serial killer. They're saying it may mark his return to "real" horror..whatever that means.

I've been a King fan for a looooong time, but not so much in recent years. This intrigues me.

http://firewireblog.com/2012/04/08/stephen-king-writing-new-novel-called-joyland/

Mike

Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/16/12 9:48:53 PM
I used to LOVE Stephen King but as he got older he can't end a story. The last book I read by him was IT and when I got to the part that it was a spider from outer space I threw the book across the room and never read another one of his novels again. I still don't know how that story ended, LOL!

Jen

Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/17/12 5:42:00 AM
GoYanks34 said:

The last book I read by him was IT and when I got to the part that it was a spider from outer space I threw the book across the room

Jen

You must be stronger than I thought.

Mike

Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/17/12 8:22:03 PM
I, too, was disappointed when discovering what IT actually was, but I still trust SK and he has continued to write page turners.

Kind of funny that some of his most popular works were made into awful movies and some really good movies were made from some of his works that no one really knew about, except his "Dear Reader(s)" like me.

"Shawshank," anyone?
How about "Stand by Me?"
Those were good movies.

BTW, the link accompanying this topic was a good read

Mike B.
Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/17/12 8:38:18 PM
MABrider said:

I, too, was disappointed when discovering what IT actually was, but I still trust SK and he has continued to write page turners.

Kind of funny that some of his most popular works were made into awful movies and some really good movies were made from some of his works that no one really knew about, except his "Dear Reader(s)" like me.

"Shawshank," anyone?
How about "Stand by Me?"
Those were good movies.

Yeah, there's been times when I told folks that Shawshank Redemption was based on a King story and got a nice "Yeah, right!" for my trouble.

Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/17/12 8:38:34 PM
MABrider said:

I think the book I read before that one was the Dark Half, which was an excellent story with a ridiculous ending as well so IT just pushed me over the edge.

"Shawshank," anyone?
How about "Stand by Me?"
Those were good movies.

Very true. His short stories are very good. I think when he writes shorter books (Misery, for example, was a masterpiece and I believe was the only book that made me jump while reading it) they are good but when they're long he gets to a point where he "just ends it now" and ruins the story. Needful Things was another great book with a stupid ending. I hope his new amusement park serial killer book is less than 1000 pages. Then I may give it a try ;~)

Jen

Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by snedelton snedelton Profile at 8/29/12 1:59:26 PM
Didn't read that one yet but noticed something about some of his books. All are great fun reads for sure, but, although the first third of most of his books is very enjoyable, the rest gets real weird. And the ending is sometimes so unusual, as if he got tired of the theme. Still great!

Steven
www.snedelton.com

PS check out my Coma Sins if you care...

Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/21/12 3:24:13 PM
The book will be out in June. Here's the cover art and a blurb:

http://www.amazon.com/Joyland-Stephen-King/dp/1781162646/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356121059&sr=1-3&keywords=stephen+king

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by Stredain Stredain Profile at 12/21/12 8:39:19 PM
As a person with a pretty odd imagination, I have wandered around BGE with the thought the entire park could be one hell of a paintball course or *roll your eyes here* the location of a hidden treasure.
Pretty nutty huh? But ontopic, the concept of a serial killer playing TAG in an amusement park would give BGE's HowloScream a whole new layer of fright..... and gawd, it would definitely be ghoulish!
Stredain
Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by MABrider MABrider Profile at 12/22/12 8:46:42 AM
beastmaster said:

http://www.amazon.com/Joyland-Stephen-King/dp/1781162646/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356121059&sr=1-3&keywords=stephen+king

I see it's part of this series (below), which SK contributed to in the past. So it's likely to be a novella.

Mike B.

Hard Case Crime

Mike B.
Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/22/12 9:53:22 AM
MABrider said:

beastmaster said:

I see it's part of this series (below), which SK contributed to in the past. So it's likely to be a novella.

Mike B.

Yeah, it's only a hundred-something pages. I'm currently reading (well, not right this second) 11/22/63, which is quite a bit longer...enjoying the heck out of it!

Mike

* This post was modified at 12/22/12 11:24:32 PM *

Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by MABrider MABrider Profile at 12/22/12 4:29:03 PM
beastmaster said:
I'm currently reading (well, not right this second) 11/22/13, which is quite a bit longer...enjoying the heck out of it!

Mike

As did I.
It makes you furious while filling you with you with wonder as to what might have been (good or bad), is joyful and sad all at the same time, and it brings tears to your eyes.

Mike B.

Mike B.
Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/22/12 11:23:54 PM
Speaking of time-traveling...

Fixed the name of the book in my other post. "11/22/13" just doesn't make it.

Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/23/12 9:17:25 AM
beastmaster said:

"11/22/13" just doesn't make it.

Wasn't that he day Kennedy was shot?

Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/23/12 9:28:30 AM
RobLec said:

beastmaster said:

"11/22/13" just doesn't make it.

Yep...the book's about a fellow who travels back in time with the goal of preventing the assassination. I just screwed up the "year" part of the slash line and turned it into next year.

Mike

Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/23/12 12:02:32 PM
beastmaster said:

RobLec said:

I just screwed up the "year" part of the slash line and turned it into next year.

Which would be the 50th anniversary, so that makes sense.

Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/4/13 6:51:03 PM
MABrider said:

beastmaster said:

Mike B.

I ordered the book from Amazon, along with the "new" John Fogerty CD of (mostly) Creedence covers with modern artists. They shipped today.

Mike

Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by Stredain Stredain Profile at 6/6/13 8:46:18 AM
Jen, you didnt miss much of IT. I stopped reading it too when the spider idea came out. I have read the Regulators and the Green Mile but thats about it.
Stredain
Re: Stephen King, Amusement Parks, and Serial Killers.. by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/6/13 4:12:37 PM
Stredain said:

Jen, you didnt miss much of IT. I stopped reading it too when the spider idea came out. I have read the Regulators and the Green Mile but thats about it.
Stredain

I read most of his earlier novels such as Pet Cemetery, Needful Things, Dark Half, Misery (by far his best book), etc but after It I stopped. I was done with him. Needful Things had a ridiculous ending too. It seems if the book is too long it has a stupid ending. Even if the rest of the novel is great he completely ruins it.

Jen