Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters

2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
4/13/12 at
10:00:16 AM

Last year I made a list of 2011's 10 year-old roller coasters. 2001 was a great year, and a lot of new rides were built. 2002 wasn't as big of a year as 2001, but there were some notable roller coasters, as well as a number of small ones, which I won't list.

Avalancha - Xetulul, Guatemala
Batman - The Dark Knight - Six Flags New England
Big Bad John - Magic Springs (relocated)
Flying Coaster - Elitch Gardens (now at Coney Island)
Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountian - Indiana Beach
New Mexico Rattler - Cliff's Amusement Park
Roller Soaker - Hersheypark
Superman - Ultimate Flight - Six Flags Over Georgia
Vampire - La Ronde
Wicked Twister - Cedar Point
X - Six Flags Magic Mountain
Xcelerator - Knott's Berry Farm

Looking over the list, the only park I have plans to get to this year is Hersheypark, but even then, I don't know if I'll ride Roller Soaker.

I've ridden seven of these guys, as well as some of the little ones (Ricochet for example).

I still think 2002 was a significant year. X was a major game changer, and was the predecessor of the new wing riders we're seeing now.

Xcelerator was also a first, which set the stage for Storm Runner, Dragster, and Kingda Ka, as well as others over seas.

Superman opened just after Air at Alton Towers, and they were the first two B&M Flyers.

Lost Coaster should be recognized as a very unique and fun ride. I'm not sure why another similar ride has yet to be built.

Which of these rides will you make it to this year?

* This post was modified at 4/20/12 11:41:32 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/13/12 11:10:45 AM
I've only been on three from your printed list. It's nice to see a mention of a Dark Knight that's at least semi-enjoyable. In all my visits to HersheyPark, I've never been on the Roller Soaker. I did ride Slippery When Wet at HRP, which was similar, if not exactly the same.

I expect to hit Hershey this summer, but don't know if I'll get on Roller Soaker...I'm more interested in a certain other coaster there....

Mike

* This post was modified at 4/13/12 11:14:08 AM *

Re: 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters by Coaster316 at 4/13/12 11:17:38 AM
beastmaster said:

In all my visits to HersheyPark, I've never been on the Roller Soaker.

Mike

I'm in the same boat here. The ride just never appealed to me. Even been there with people who have ridden it while I just sat on the side.

Also..I fully expected to open this link and be like, "That ride opened 10 years ago? Seems like yesterday." Instead I was, "That was only 10 years ago? Seems like forever." I wonder what that says about me?

- Jeff

Re: 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 4/13/12 11:29:10 AM
beastmaster said:

I've only been on three from your printed list. It's nice to see a mention of a Dark Knight that's at least semi-enjoyable. In all my visits to HersheyPark, I've never been on the Roller Soaker. I did ride Slippery When Wet at HRP, which was similar, if not exactly the same.

I expect to hit Hershey this summer, but don't know if I'll get on Roller Soaker...I'm more interested in a certain other coaster there....

Mike

I share the same opinion of rides like Roller Soaker as you and Jeff. It's actually a fun ride, but you have to want to get wet, which I typically don't.

It's worth a spin though, especially if the line is short.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Re: 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 4/13/12 11:30:30 AM
Coaster316 said:

Also..I fully expected to open this link and be like, "That ride opened 10 years ago? Seems like yesterday." Instead I was, "That was only 10 years ago? Seems like forever." I wonder what that says about me?

- Jeff

That's funny. I thought the same thing for a few of them (like X and Xcelerator). For rides like Wicked Twister and Superman, it doesn't really feel like 10 years has gone by.

drachen
Re: 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 4/13/12 11:32:56 AM
Sorry about three posts in a row, but I wanted to add one more thing...

The sometimes beloved Drachen Fire would have celebrated 20 years on April 4th of this year.

Sadly though, 2012 marks ten years since it was dismantled. I think I'm going to go find that Drachen Fire tribute thread and re-post it...

drachen
Re: 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/13/12 12:03:31 PM
I like getting wet on rides. It's just a ride that never held much appeal to me, and I never made the effort to go on. Always figured I'd get on it eventually. But that's not always the best way to think...you never know when it'll bite the dust. I went on Slippery When Wet for three reasons:

1. There wasn't a lot of rides to go on.
2. There was no one there
3. It was HOT!

Mike

Re: 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters by Coaster316 at 4/13/12 12:32:17 PM
drachen said:

Sadly though, 2012 marks ten years since it was dismantled. I think I'm going to go find that Drachen Fire tribute thread and re-post it...

Now THAT doesn't feel like 10 years ago. :(

Jeff

Re: 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/13/12 3:32:24 PM
drachen said:

Lost Coaster should be recognized as a very unique and fun ride. I'm not sure why another similar ride has yet to be built.

Probably due to low capacity and possibly high maintenance.

Re: 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 4/13/12 3:49:23 PM
RobLec said:

drachen said:

Probably due to low capacity and possibly high maintenance.

But don't you think a newer, more spacious version would address the capacity issue? I would hope so.

I won't go there on maintenance, as Indiana Beach has one of the worst collections of poorly maintained coasters I've come across.

I was there for 5 days. Cornball had two whole coaster cars down for the week. Hurricane had one. A whole week with only one train available, and you can't fix it?

drachen
Re: 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/16/12 1:40:21 AM
I have ridden 5 of the coasters listed above. X Flight at SF Worlds of Adventure( Geauga Lake) opened in 2002 also.
Re: 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 4/20/12 11:42:38 PM
frontrow said:

I have ridden 5 of the coasters listed above. X Flight at SF Worlds of Adventure( Geauga Lake) opened in 2002 also.

I thought you were right when I first read this, but then I looked it up. RCDB has X-Flight listed as having opened in 2001. Looking back on it, I think that is correct.

drachen
Re: 2012's 10 Year-Old Coasters by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/21/12 12:30:32 AM
drachen said:

frontrow said:

I thought you were right when I first read this, but then I looked it up. RCDB has X-Flight listed as having opened in 2001. Looking back on it, I think that is correct.

That is correct. X Flight did open in 2001 according to several sources. I thought it open in 2002; I was wrong.