Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Mountain coasters..

Mountain coasters..

JetMech JetMech Profile

Posted:
4/10/12 at
11:01:22 PM

Not sure if anyone knows, Mountain Creek in NJ will have a mountain coaster opening this summer.

I've seen some video's and they look cool but the closest mountain coaster is in Greek Peak in Cortland, NY, over 4 hours away. I've never skied there since I'm not crazy about there trails to drive that far.

Anyway, Mountain Creek also have zip lines so maybe it's worth a trip..

Edit: Another opening at Camelback, in the Pocono Mountains, PA this summer as well..

* This post was modified at 4/11/12 12:47:34 PM *

Re: Mountain coasters.. by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/11/12 5:29:09 AM
Hm. Didn't know that. I haven't been to Mountain Creek since it BECAME Mountain Creek. May check it out.

*EDIT*..just checked the site..no information yet, aside from a blurb. If it's anything like mountain coasters I've seen on videos, I'll likely make a trip up there to try it and maybe hit the waterpark.

Mike

* This post was modified at 4/11/12 12:05:51 PM *

Re: Mountain coasters.. by JetMech JetMech Profile at 4/11/12 12:54:35 PM
I know it's vague, with one page mentioning spring and another page opening in the summer so I rather just wait till the summer to try it.

Funny thing, Mountain Creek's site was still linked to the previous operator, Palace until a few days ago. I think the photo's there using now are from old Action Park days. BTW the original owner of Action Park owns all the land again...

Re: Mountain coasters.. by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 4/11/12 8:56:25 PM
Mountain Creek waterpark is amazing!!! Not your typical cookie cutter waterpark.
Re: Mountain coasters.. by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/11/12 10:51:36 PM
JetMech said:

BTW the original owner of Action Park owns all the land again...

I think I just heard an ambulance speed by when I read this line, LOL!

Jen

Jen
Re: Mountain coasters.. by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/12/12 11:51:15 AM
This is awesomeeee news!! I went on one at Smuggler's notch in Vermont. I am definitely going to try and get out to the one at Mountain Creek! Haven't been there yet and it looks like a blast!
- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Mountain coasters.. by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/12/12 1:03:01 PM
Why aren't alpine coasters included in RCDB? *Opening Pandora's Box, are they 'true' coasters or not?* LOL
Re: Mountain coasters.. by Coaster316 at 4/13/12 8:42:48 AM
These really look interesting to me. I never realized there were some close to where I am or to where I visit regularly. Definitely going to see if I can try one this year.

Overbanked...lol at you opening Pandora's Box. For the record, I'd consider them slides and in that sense as much of a coaster as the old burlap sack dry slides were. :)

- Jeff

Re: Mountain coasters.. by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/13/12 9:26:19 AM
Coaster316 said:

These really look interesting to me. I never realized there were some close to where I am or to where I visit regularly. Definitely going to see if I can try one this year.

Overbanked...lol at you opening Pandora's Box. For the record, I'd consider them slides and in that sense as much of a coaster as the old burlap sack dry slides were. :)

- Jeff

I wouldn't consider it a roller coaster since the speed/brake is controlled by the rider.

But what do I know? I just wanna ride it.

Mike

Re: Mountain coasters.. by JetMech JetMech Profile at 4/13/12 6:43:21 PM
Overbanked said:

Why aren't alpine coasters included in RCDB? *Opening Pandora's Box, are they 'true' coasters or not?* LOL

I think they are, they have wheels and coast so thats a roller coaster. Come to think of it alpine slides can also be considered as well. The sleds have wheels and coast through a trough. Weren't some of the early "coasters" basically a sled going down a hill...

* This post was modified at 4/13/12 6:45:57 PM *

Re: Mountain coasters.. by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/13/12 7:59:41 PM
I don't think they are but then again I don't consider the "bobsled" rides roller coasters either. I don't see how going down a natural hill is a roller coaster. If that's the case then sleigh riding could be considered coasting too, LOL!

Jen