Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Easter At GAdv

Easter At GAdv

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
4/9/12 at
8:36:51 PM

Just a few notes to follow up my TR from Opening Day Thursday.

My buddy Mike picked me up and, after a stop at Roy Rogers for breakfast, we arrived at the park around 9:30. The new bank of metal detectors had one guard, but nothing was being checked. Gates opened at 10 as always, and we made our way to the little gaming area left of the carousel, where I encountered a surprise. No rope drop. The path was open. I don't know if this was a one-day thing. We waited at Superman:Ultimate Flight, and got on the first ride of the day when it opened at 10:30, which is when the rope would normally drop. Ran well, I wish it was about 30 seconds longer, and I still prefer Vekoma flyer layouts.

Headed for Ka next, and waited about 10 minutes for back row. Not as good as the other day, back is rougher and it was a different train. Ka was running as consistently as I've ever seen. I saw no breakdowns in the 5 hours we were there.

We had seen Green Lantern test a couple trains, but it was not open when we got off Ka, so we hit Bizarro and Toro for two rides each. Bizarro only ran two trains. Toro was flying, and the crew was doing a much better job than last week. I got my bar down far enough on my own. Rolling Thunder was just okay.

For the second visit in a row, the Runaway Train broke down when I was next to board, So Mike grabbed a meal in Best Of The West and gave me a chance to rest before heading to the other end.

I planned to buy a 2012 souvenir cup at the 100+ flavor Coke Shop, but it was closed. I bought the cup at Nathan's later, but I hope that stand won't be closed regularly..that's where I expect to use the cup regularly.

Got one ride each on Nitro (two trains,) Batman (2 trains,) Skull Mountain and Blackbeard. After eating at the car, we came back in to check green Lantern. It was up, but the line had gotten long, so we skipped and left about 3:30. It was Mike's decision, but I wasn't gonna put up a fight...I've had a pretty full dance card the last coupla weeks, and I was pretty wiped.

As was the case last Easter, the crowd picked up in the early afternoon. Overall, things were better than Thursday in terms of lines, operations, and general smoothness.

Got a couple compliments on my brand-spanking-new Walking Dead T-shirt!

Incidentally, several coupons that have been standard in the coupon book are MIA this year.

That pretty much covers it..can't think of anything else right this second.

Mike

* This post was modified at 4/9/12 9:17:20 PM *

Re: Easter At GAdv by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/9/12 8:48:12 PM
beastmaster said:

My buddy Mike picked me up and, after a stop at Roy Rogers for breakfast, we arrived at the park around 9:30. The new bank of metal detectors had one guard, but nothing was being checked. Gates opened at 10 as always, and we made our way to the little gaming area left of the carousel, where I encountered a surprise. No rope drop. The path was open. I don't know if this was a one-day thing. We waited at Superman:Ultimate Flight, and got on the first ride of the day when it opened at 10:30, which is when the rope would normally drop. Ran well, I wish it was about 30 seconds longer, and I still prefer Vekoma flyer layouts.

Headed for Ka next, and waited about 10 minutes for back row. Not as good as the other day, back is rougher and it was a different train. Ka was running as consistently as I've ever seen. I saw no breakdowns in the 5 hours we were there.

We had seen Green Lantern test a couple trains, but it was not open when we got off Ka, so we hit Bizarro and Toro for two rides each. Bizarro only ran two trains. Toro was flying, and the crew was doing a much better job than last week. I got my bar down far enough on my own. Rolling Thunder was just okay.

For the second visit in a row, the Runaway Train broke down when I was next to board, So Mike grabbed a meal in Best Of The West and gave me a chance to rest before heading to the other end.

I planned to buy a 2012 souvenir cup at the 100+ flavor Coke Shop, but it was closed. I bought the cup at Nathan's later, but I hope that stand won't be closed regularly..that's where I expect to use the cup regularly.

Got one ride each on Nitro (two trains,) Batman (2 trains,) Skull Mountain and Blackbeard. After eating at the car, we came back in to check green Lantern. It was up, but the line had gotten long, so we skipped and left about 3:30. It was Mike's decision, but I wasn't gonna put up a fight...I've had a pretty full dance card the last coupla weeks, and I was pretty wiped.

As was the case last Easter, the crowd picked up in the early afternoon. Overall, things were better than Thursday in terms of lines, operations, and general smoothness.

Incidentally, several coupons that have been standard in the coupon book are MIA this year.

That pretty much covers it..can't think of anything else right this second.

Mike

Last year when I went on a solo visit I was at that soda place what seemed like 10 times or so!! It only needs two employees so I don't see why it's not open sometimes. I only got to go there once. It's a really REALLY good treat though.

Great Adventure is notorious for having barely any stands manned imo. With the discussion I had with the manager I mentioned before, he was stated memorial weekend was the biggest time in the industry during the year. I feel like October is but I guess I'm not a manager at a theme park either....Anyways, my point is that maybe when "summer" starts the stands will be open in full swing.

I really love visits in late April because of the beautiful weather, but the park might be at '"full swing" come end of May with all of the stands and such.

Nice TR! Wish I could have went, family snuck in some dinner plans on me two days prior, but alas, I got my season pass so I will be visiting plenty!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Easter At GAdv by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/10/12 10:25:33 PM
beastmaster said:

Oh No! Maybe Paul is right and it's me! He must have found out about Griffon! :~)

Jen
Re: Easter At GAdv by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/16/12 2:07:11 AM
Great TR Mike. I actually was able to get out of going to Easter dinner. We thought about going to Great Adventure, but it was to last minute. We went steelhead fishing instead. Eventually we will visit Great Adventure on Easter. It sounds like a day that the park is usually pretty empty.
Re: Easter At GAdv by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/16/12 5:39:52 AM
frontrow said:

Great TR Mike. I actually was able to get out of going to Easter dinner. We thought about going to Great Adventure, but it was to last minute. We went steelhead fishing instead. Eventually we will visit Great Adventure on Easter. It sounds like a day that the park is usually pretty empty.

At least in the early part of the day, Ken.