Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 2012 IX Indoor Amusement Park

2012 IX Indoor Amusement Park

ray_p ray_p Profile

Posted:
4/8/12 at
9:32:15 AM

Visited the 23rd annual IX Indoor Amusement Park (Cleveland, OH) yesterday and it seems it keeps getting smaller each year. I put together a video of most of the major rides in attendance this year. The KMG Freak Out was down and I did not get the Majestic Scooters, but everything else is present and accounted for. On a side note, I rode the IX Center's Chance Giant Wheel as a single rider. Somehow I survived... ;)

Enjoy the video.

Re: 2012 IX Indoor Amusement Park by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/8/12 3:40:04 PM
Great stuff Ray! It's kinda funny that they call it an 'amusement park' when it's more of the lines of a fair, it being temporary and all; Although it's definitely many times better than most typical fairs. Alot of interesting, and unique flats that I never rode caught my eye, particularly Rock-O-Plane, G-Force, and Tip-Top. Vertigo is unbelievably high, it looks like the riders were about to slam into the trusses, thrill factor! Hurricane looks like the same flat as 'Saturn 6' at 12th Street Amusements in Coney.

Sadly many fairs around the country currently are a shell of what they used to be, in terms of attendance, rides, etc, it seems like a dying industry. Maybe it's a combo of the 08' recession, and a lil' jadedness. My local fair (Greater Jacksonville Agricultural Fair) was a decent fair, now it's awful. They continuously take out all of the most thrilling flats. They used to have my favorite flats esp. Extasy(Wiener Prater) then they took it out; Then recently they took out Space Loop(Top Spin) and the Zipper when they switched to another operator! I'm like really! I don't see any need to ever go back, because it's so boring. Sorry about the rambling. Thanks for the vid.

* This post was modified at 4/8/12 3:48:33 PM *

Re: 2012 IX Indoor Amusement Park by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 4/10/12 12:34:46 PM
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the video it was very well done. I specifically liked you information graphic poping in and out. Give us the technical details Camera used and video edit software used?

I saw from your credit you received a comp ticket but, how much was admission and was it a POP or each ride?

Regards,
Your Canadian Facebook Friend
Kevin Reid

Re: 2012 IX Indoor Amusement Park by ray_p ray_p Profile at 4/10/12 4:02:21 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Kevin- for filming I have a Nikon Coolpix S9100 point and shoot camera. I film in 720p. The video looks WAY better on my TV than it does on YouTube! It’s not the best camera in the world for stills (especially when you blow them up… the edges get very soft), but for video it’s not a bad little camera. The 18X zoom doesn’t hurt either. As for editing, I used Adobe Premiere Pro. Unfortunately, I’m not that great at using all of the features for it. I have a video tutorial, but haven’t had the time to watch all of the lessons yet. I really enjoy making the title tags for my videos. I started that last year with my Darien Lake video and have been doing it ever since. And finally, Admission this year was $24.95. That includes most rides and the “Cirque Shaghai” and “Big Cat Encounter” shows (neither of which I saw). Attractions that are not included in admission are several trailer-mounted fun houses ($1 upcharge), a Wisdom AstroLiner ($1 upcharge), and a 3-D Mystery Manor walk through for kids which is $3. Parking is $8, so it can be a pretty costly day at the carnival for a family!

And overbanked- I agree wholeheartedly about the state of the carnival business. The midways that we get here in Northern Ohio are pretty weak as most companies don’t seem to splurge on new spectacular rides. While I’m not in the amusement industry, I do have to speculate that gas prices could have something to do with the lack of large, multi-trailer rides at many carnivals. It just costs too much to transport some of the big rides anymore. Then again, I could be completely wrong! As for the rides you mentioned, Rock O Plane was a midway staple for years. Bates has kept theirs in surprisingly good condition. I believe it was just refurbished a few years back. The G-Force is a strange contraption. I have never ridden it, but it doesn’t really look that great. Wow, you rock back and forth in a wing-rider style seating arrangement. The people seem to enjoy it though (some going so far as to call it a roller coaster. Hmmm….). And the Tip Top was Hrubetz’s modern take on the old Bubble Bounce. I believe Hrubetz stopped making those in the 70’s, so it too is a “classic”. And finally, in regards to the Hurricane/Saturn 6, I think the Saturn 6 features cars that end up perpendicular to the ground when they swing out. On Hurricane, you remain parallel with the ground. It’s one of the few rides I have ever gotten sick on back when I rode it in the mid 90’s!

Thanks again for checking out the video. :)

Re: 2012 IX Indoor Amusement Park by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/10/12 6:27:22 PM
ray_p said:

The G-Force is a strange contraption. I have never ridden it, but it doesn’t really look that great. Wow, you rock back and forth in a wing-rider style seating arrangement. The people seem to enjoy it though (some going so far as to call it a roller coaster. Hmmm….).)

Opening Pandora's Box....LOL, I was thinking the same thing with the coaster-like qualities. It looks like a mini half-pipe/wing rider-esque thingy. I agree that it doesn't look all that thrilling.

* This post was modified at 4/10/12 6:28:52 PM *