Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry?

What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry?

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
4/3/12 at
7:01:07 PM

Think on if you had to start an entire small to moderate sized amusement park from scratch, but the catch is that ALL of the flatrides, and coasters has to be from only one company; Which company would you chose to start an amusement park from scratch? For example, Coney Island's Luna Park/ Scream Zone AKA 'Zamperla Land' chosen the ride manufacturer Zamperla for all of the rides/coasters there. So think about it; Obviously highly specialized companies like B&M, would be out by default, due to zero family appeal. Remember, try to take every thing into consideration like family appeal, quality of coasters etc.

I'm not totally sure about what company would be the most well rounded, some like Chance Morgan, and Zamperla, aren't exactly worldbeaters when it comes to coaster creations, but are commendable concerning flatrides. I'm kinda on the fence with this one between Intamin, and Gerstlauer. What do ya think?

* This post was modified at 4/3/12 7:10:36 PM *

Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/3/12 7:17:28 PM
Great thread idea! It seems Intamin will build or has built just about anything... inverts, hypers, drop towers. They even built the KI and KD Eiffel towers. I don't know if they ever built spin'n'spews, but I'm sure it would not be beyond their abilities. Whether or not anyone would ride them is an entirely different question.
Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/3/12 7:27:21 PM
^^^Haha, I like that term 'spin-n-spews'. Yeah, Intamin has some flatrides, they are no Chance by no means, but they have a couple of them.

www.intaminworldwide.com/amusement/ToundRides/tabid/111/language/de-DE/Default.aspx

Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by JetMech JetMech Profile at 4/3/12 8:57:07 PM
Intamin or Chance Morgan sounds like the easy answer although I'm not sure Intamin manufacture's or design all the hub & spoke rides, rather act as middle men.

If I was starting from scratch I would definitely not use a single company for everything since some companies are better for certain attractions.

BTW, I'm disapointed with Luna Park NYC. Basically a bunch of flat rides plopped together, very unimaginative.

Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/3/12 9:14:38 PM
JetMech said:

Intamin or Chance Morgan sounds like the easy answer although I'm not sure Intamin manufacture's or design all the hub & spoke rides, rather act as middle men.

If I was starting from scratch I would definitely not use a single company for everything since some companies are better for certain attractions.

BTW, I'm disapointed with Luna Park NYC. Basically a bunch of flat rides plopped together, very unimaginative.

To me Chance Morgan coasters are pretty 'eh' IMO Gerstlauer & Intamin is light years ahead of them when it comes to coasters.

I totally agree with you about starting a park with only one company would not give the best overall results, this thread is just hypothetical on finding the most well rounded amusement company.

I can't disagree with you concerning Luna, it's seems very 'anywhere USA'. The old Coney Island was dazzling, and innovative; It inspired places like Disneyland.

On a side note, Wild Adventures is basically 'Vekoma Land' with a few exceptions; Of course that can equate to 'Painful Steelie Coaster Land'.

* This post was modified at 4/3/12 9:21:53 PM *

Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 4/3/12 10:12:25 PM
Yeah, I really gotta vote Intamin here. They do build the widest array of rides and are not scared to push the limit and break records.

I looked at their website and didn't realize how many of their non-coaster rides I have been on.

- Pat-O

Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 4/4/12 12:32:31 AM
I'd say Intamin too. If they were to build an all-Intamin park though, they'd better work on their reliability. Otherwise the entire park could be closed at any given time. lol :P
Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 4/4/12 5:54:25 PM
That's a tough question though I will be in the minority and say Mack. Europa Park is basically all Mack rides except for a few large coasters.

They dont' have a large collection of flats but they do have the classic flats we love (Musik Express, Feria Swing/Swing Bob. Sea Storm, Tea Cups). They also have log flumes, water coasters, and the splash battle. They also have a decent collection of coasters with their megacoaster (Blue Fire at Europa), the spinning coaster (Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's), powered coaster (Thunder Run at Canada's Wonderland), the unique bobsled (Avalanche at Kings Dominion), and family/kiddie coasters, and the ever popular Wild Mouse.

G-Dog

* This post was modified at 4/4/12 5:56:05 PM *

Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 4/4/12 5:59:10 PM
Rats, you beat me to the board while I was double checking RCDB. Every coaster at Europa Park except the one B&M and the one GCI are Mack rides. I've been there (2002) and Europa was definitely a top tier park.

* This post was modified at 4/4/12 6:00:33 PM *

Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by JetMech JetMech Profile at 4/4/12 6:59:53 PM
Geauga_Dog said:

That's a tough question though I will be in the minority and say Mack. Europa Park is basically all Mack rides except for a few large coasters.

They dont' have a large collection of flats but they do have the classic flats we love (Musik Express, Feria Swing/Swing Bob. Sea Storm, Tea Cups). They also have log flumes, water coasters, and the splash battle. They also have a decent collection of coasters with their megacoaster (Blue Fire at Europa), the spinning coaster (Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's), powered coaster (Thunder Run at Canada's Wonderland), the unique bobsled (Avalanche at Kings Dominion), and family/kiddie coasters, and the ever popular Wild Mouse.

G-Dog

Totally forgot about Mack, so I would agree since they do build water attractions.

Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/5/12 1:37:57 AM
Yeah, G-Dog brought up a very notable contender, because Mack has such a wide variety of attractions. My only concern with Mack is their lack of variety with it's flatrides; They are mostly one dimensional carousel-esque classic spinneroonys. IMO Gerstlauer is considerably more diverse selection with it's flats; With everything from the Sky Roller, and Sky Fly(like the new 'TMNT: Shell Shock' at Nick Universe) to the Suspended Polyp; It's not short with family flats either with Bavarian Express(Tumble Bugs style flat), The Waltz(Drunken Barrels type flat), Dancing Pavilion (a lop-sided seated carousel), and the giant ferris wheel; Plus, I'm a sucker for unique attractions. :)

If I had to make a 'Mack over Gerstlauer' argument it would be the water flume rides. IMO coaster-wise those two companies are pretty much dead even with both Gerstlauer, and Mack having a wide variety of coasters from family to thrilling.

I'll go with Gerstlauer (for most well-rounded) with a slight edge over Intamin and Mack.

* This post was modified at 4/5/12 11:00:34 PM *

Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 4/5/12 10:29:21 AM
I almost went with Gerstlauer because of all their unique flats, but to me they lack in a wide variety of coasters. With only a couple exceptions, all their coasters are one-car-per-train, with very little traditional coasters. Granted, they make high quality single car coasters, but I would like more variety, like they have with their flats.
Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/5/12 3:00:46 PM
JetMech said:

With basically 2 blocks to work with and another park in between, there's not much they can do other than to have a bunch of flat rides there. It's one group of flat rides replacing another with Astroland closed. When/if they incorporate Deno's amusement park into the current 2 parks and get more land, they could hopefully build something big like a steel coaster to cross those parks as showed years ago in some art concept.

* This post was modified at 4/5/12 3:04:07 PM *

Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by JetMech JetMech Profile at 4/5/12 3:32:01 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

JetMech said:

With basically 2 blocks to work with and another park in between, there's not much they can do other than to have a bunch of flat rides there. It's one group of flat rides replacing another with Astroland closed. When/if they incorporate Deno's amusement park into the current 2 parks and get more land, they could hopefully build something big like a steel coaster to cross those parks as showed years ago in some art concept.

I understand they are limited in space but I think there could have been some sort of themeing to replicate the old luna park. To be honest I've been indifferent to the whole CI renewal project.

Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 4/5/12 10:48:38 PM
My first thought when some were picking Intamin was because of their wide selection of coasters over everything else. While they also have quite a few water rides and flumes they do not exactly offer traditional spin-n-spews except for the Flying Dutchman swings, Drunken Barrels, and the Star Shape (Huss Condor looking ride).

If you would have asked me this question about 20-25 years ago I would have easily gone with Huss despite the fact they don't offer coasters and water rides in their inventory. They had a catalog that was unparalleled at the time, offering anywhere up to 40 classic flats that have since been dwindled to a little over a handful. They are at least responsible for getting Darien Lake started in the early 80's hence the large variety of Huss rides still operating there today.

G-Dog

Re: What's the Most Well-Rounded Company in the Industry? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/6/12 1:23:03 AM
JetMech said:

I understand they are limited in space but I think there could have been some sort of themeing to replicate the old luna park. To be honest I've been indifferent to the whole CI renewal project.

Well, some rides like the 'tickler' was supposed to 'emulate' the old tickler ride. But I do agree that it's more a showcase for the owner of the park to show off their rides. However, for a quick ride from a bus or subway in the area, it's not too horrible. Obviously I'm still going to prefer going to Six Flags or such places for a real day at an amusement park.

To me Luna park is there because Astroland is gone and the company {thor Equities} that tried to buy up all the land there for the real estate 'scam' [to put up hotels/condos/malls] sold the land back to the city. The city then in turn allowed Zamperla to move in and build something to fill the void. I think this is still a 'temporary' thing. It depends on the future and other land deals, so some rides might go so bigger rides could be put there. I would hope there is something big at Coney. Cyclone is great, but it would be nice to have another alternative that matches it.

* This post was modified at 4/6/12 1:27:50 AM *