Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags America opening day 3/31/12 TR short

Six Flags America opening day 3/31/12 TR short

PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile

Posted:
4/3/12 at
2:34:09 PM

Due to me being a complete moron and forgetting that Kings Dominion didnt open until the following week the fiance and I decided to head out to Six Flags American to see how things were going. I havent been to Six Flags since, well before it was actually Six Flags. We did go out one year and ride Superman with the Coaster Zombies for an early morning TV shoot but that was my only time being in Six Flags. We got $20 opening day tickets to the park so that made the trip a little more enjoyable...though the $15 for parking did sting a little. I wont go into full detail but give my opinion of this park.

First of all the park was pretty much empty, or at least that is how I perceived it. Single train operation on every ride but that is usually to be expected from opening day, though we didnt see a second train on anything. But being I have never really been to the park I am not sure of how the operation usually runs. It was in the mid 60s for the majority of the day with the sun going in and out of the clouds. It did get colder as the day went on and the winds did pick up.

First stop was Wild One. For a ride that is as old as this is and being moved around and reworked to fit newer rides it still delivered a great punch. We rode in the back seat and had a blast as it did catch me off guard a few times. We waited 2 cycles to ride.

We headed over towards the Gotham City area of the park and to ride Jokers Jinx. Having rode the same ride a million times at PKD it wasnt anything new. I did like the out door setting as you could see just how close you do come to the supports and no mid course break makes for a great ending. The fiance seemed to like the indoor one better so we were split. Though still a fun ride.

Superman was calling next. I have ridden this ride in the past, as stated before, though its been a while. Then it was one of the best coasters I had ridden. At first the finace wanted to compare it to Intimidator which I found totally unfair. We rode in the back as the line was getting longer. Over all I had a good time, though the restraints are a little to be desired. Not a huge fan of the shin guards. The last few air time hills really make those things a killer. We did ride again later in the day in the front seat and did find the ride way better then the back. I didnt get any air time while in the back seat but at on in the front.

I have yet to ride a flyer so I did try Batwing. Not a fan. I did find the ride very intense but the restraints were tough. How do the B&M restraints measure up as far as the amount of pressure on your chest? Just wondering as we are going to Florida in May so Manta is on the list. The laying down on your back wasnt much of an issue and thankfully the sun was behind the clouds or the lift would have been terrible. The final helix was pretty good and taken with a lot of force. Over all this ride was ok, though not sure I would rush back to get on again.

We stopped by to check out the progress of Apocalypse. They had most of the track completed. Looks to be only a few pieces left to be put into place and they have to still build the station. Looks really good with the color of paint they are using.

We made our way back towards the front of the park and rode ROAR. I did enjoy this ride but would be so much better with Flyers on it.

Last was Mind Eraser. I wish we hadnt ridden this ride as it was down right horrible. I know the SLC's are known for this but I thought maybe, just maybe it would be different. The fiance hated me after that ride...lol

Over all the park looked very nice and was clean. Wasnt crowded which I can see being a real issue as the park seemed very small to me. Every employee we ran into during the day was nice enough and helpful. I do, however, have two complaints that did make for a long day. One is the amount of talking, or yelling, the ride ops were doing. It was way over the top to the point where are times you couldnt understand what was being said. And two the amount of line jumping. It was out of control. At times going on right in front of ride ops who would turn a blind eye. At one point on Superman they had the gate open by the back seat and people were walking right into the line and going to any seat they wanted instead of waiting. It was going on on almsot eveyr ride we waited for. Whats funny is there are signs everywhere talking about not doing it...lol

Over all it was a fun day to get the season started. I would go back but only if I got discounted tickets again...never full price.

Thanks for reading.

Lee

Re: Six Flags America opening day 3/31/12 TR short by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 4/3/12 10:08:55 PM
Thanks for the TR, Lee.

I've never been to SF America, but most TRs I have read hold about the same amount of enthusiasm as yours.

PkD4Life said:

First stop was Wild One. For a ride that is as old as this is and being moved around and reworked to fit newer rides it still delivered a great punch. We rode in the back seat and had a blast as it did catch me off guard a few times. We waited 2 cycles to ride.

I've heard nothing but great things about this classis. I'm glad it has been maintained well. It's amazing how such a simple design can make for such a great coaster.

We headed over towards the Gotham City area of the park and to ride Jokers Jinx. Having rode the same ride a million times at PKD it wasnt anything new. I did like the out door setting as you could see just how close you do come to the supports and no mid course break makes for a great ending. The fiance seemed to like the indoor one better so we were split. Though still a fun ride.

I much prefer the outdoor versions. The visuals are amazing, and I just don't really for the second half of the ride after trim breaks. JJ and Poltergeist are awesome!

Superman was calling next. I have ridden this ride in the past, as stated before, though its been a while. Then it was one of the best coasters I had ridden. At first the finace wanted to compare it to Intimidator which I found totally unfair. We rode in the back as the line was getting longer. Over all I had a good time, though the restraints are a little to be desired. Not a huge fan of the shin guards. The last few air time hills really make those things a killer. We did ride again later in the day in the front seat and did find the ride way better then the back. I didnt get any air time while in the back seat but at on in the front.

I've always been so curious about this ride and the DL counterpart. The layout seems so odd - those extra big helices, the hills that pop out of nowhere, those long sections of straight track. I'm curious to get on it.

I have yet to ride a flyer so I did try Batwing. Not a fan. I did find the ride very intense but the restraints were tough. How do the B&M restraints measure up as far as the amount of pressure on your chest? Just wondering as we are going to Florida in May so Manta is on the list. The laying down on your back wasnt much of an issue and thankfully the sun was behind the clouds or the lift would have been terrible. The final helix was pretty good and taken with a lot of force. Over all this ride was ok, though not sure I would rush back to get on again.

OK, first off I LOVED Nighthawk at KI. Love everything about it and had no problems with the restraints. Very under-rated in my opinion.

As far aas comparing the Vekoma to the B&M flyers, I don't feel much different in comfort of the restraints. Neither really bothers me. I think the Vekoma layout is better with more inversions and very disorienting fly-to-lies. No, the pretezel loops are AMAZING, but other than that the B&M flyers leave much to be desired.

Last was Mind Eraser. I wish we hadnt ridden this ride as it was down right horrible. I know the SLC's are known for this but I thought maybe, just maybe it would be different. The fiance hated me after that ride...lol

Yeah, I do that on occasion, too, and I never know why.

Sorry to hear the line cutting was so bad. That can ruin a day.

Thanks for the TR. Come see us down in Texas some time.

- Pat-o

Re: Six Flags America opening day 3/31/12 TR short by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/4/12 6:02:03 AM
LoneStar said:

OK, first off I LOVED Nighthawk at KI. Love everything about it and had no problems with the restraints. Very under-rated in my opinion.

As far aas comparing the Vekoma to the B&M flyers, I don't feel much different in comfort of the restraints. Neither really bothers me. I think the Vekoma layout is better with more inversions and very disorienting fly-to-lies. No, the pretezel loops are AMAZING, but other than that the B&M flyers leave much to be desired.

- Pat-o

You mean FIRE Hawk :) NIGHTHawk is at Carowinds, and I haven't been on that. Two visits..once too hot to stand in line, the other it was down for an extended period, not just the day. I agree with you, Pat-O. It took me a while to get over my psychological issues with flyer. Six rides on S:UF got me on the right track (pun semi-intended) but I much prefer the Vekoma layouts. It's a more thrilling, to say nothing of longer, ride.

Mike

Re: Six Flags America opening day 3/31/12 TR short by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 4/4/12 11:07:25 AM
Yes, definitely Firehawk...I've never been on Nighthawk, but I think the Firehawk layout has to be better - it has an added helix, plus the corkscrews/zero-g rolls look like better elements, and you have more time in the flying position.

- Pat-O

Re: Six Flags America opening day 3/31/12 TR short by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 4/5/12 4:13:55 AM
PkD4Life said:

First of all the park was pretty much empty,

And two the amount of line jumping. It was out of control. At times going on right in front of ride ops who would turn a blind eye.

Line jumping at a pretty much empty park?

That's odd.

;)

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Six Flags America opening day 3/31/12 TR short by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 4/5/12 9:52:58 AM
Trust me Joe, I was thinking the exact same thing but it was going on...lol

Lee