Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > San Fran trip is out San Diego is in!

San Fran trip is out San Diego is in!

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
3/22/12 at
10:14:40 PM

So, all of my work on San Francisco was for nothing. I am able to go to the AVMA San Diego convention now (another Dr. at the practice was going but now isn't) and I'm very happy about the switch. About $1,000 cheaper for the trip. Going from 8/2 - 8/9. OK, now to the questions:

I will have more time to play there since I plan on arriving a full day early and staying a full day late. I am definitely going to Sea World since the last time I was there they didn't even have any rides, they will have a new coaster and I have to meet my friends I've been watching: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/frozen-planet/penguin-cam/ (warning - this is addictive)

Now, what to do with my other day. I am thinking about going up to Knotts since the last time I was there Ghostrider was being built and it's only about 1 hr 45 min away (1 hr 20 min my driving time LOL).

Is there anything else I should see/do while there? I am not going to the zoo - been there several times. I'll be out at 5 pm most days but if there is something I shouldn't miss in the area I can always skip out early one day.

I want to do SFMM SO bad but there is no way I can do the 6 hour round trip in one day and don't have any other time to really spare. Once again, I will be so close but yet so far from the one park I really want to go to! :~(

Jen
Re: San Fran trip is out San Diego is in! by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/22/12 10:34:57 PM
Belmont Park is in San Diego. All it has is the Giant Dipper, which isn't all that great, but is worth a credit. The oceanside park itself is pretty fun and doesn't require much time.

Don't go down to Tijuana.

- Pat-O

Re: San Fran trip is out San Diego is in! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/22/12 11:42:49 PM
LoneStar said:

Belmont Park is in San Diego. All it has is the Giant Dipper, which isn't all that great, but is worth a credit. The oceanside park itself is pretty fun and doesn't require much time.

Don't go down to Tijuana.

- Pat-O

The last time I was in San Diego was in 1991 and we did the Tijuana trip and had a blast but getting shot by drug lords isn't exactly my idea of a good time, LOL! Boy have the times changed.

Jen
Re: San Fran trip is out San Diego is in! by rocketmover at 3/23/12 10:34:53 AM
Ditto on the Giant Coaster at Belmont (mission beach) - it is fairly close to Sea World and well-worth a quick stop - there is a small museum there of what it was like when it was a whole park and also a small collection of "boardwalk" style shops and eating establishments across the street - last time I was there (10 years ago) one of them had the largest slice of pizza I've ever seen!!
Re: San Fran trip is out San Diego is in! by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/23/12 8:35:28 PM
Giant Dipper may very well be better than the neutered GhostRider.
Re: San Fran trip is out San Diego is in! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/24/12 12:22:59 PM
Question: Looking at the Sea World web site is Journey to Atlantis the same basic ride as Pompeii At BGE? Looks extremely similar from the pictures.
Jen
Re: San Fran trip is out San Diego is in! by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 3/24/12 1:45:35 PM
Journey to Atlantis is a very rare Mack water coaster. It use large 8 seaters cars that also float on water. It got the large lift hill and a surprise lift inside the large tower in the middle. They are great rides and hard to find.
Re: San Fran trip is out San Diego is in! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/24/12 9:00:23 PM
Do anyone know why did SFDK get rid of the spinning coaster Pandemonium(FKA Tony Hawk)?
Re: San Fran trip is out San Diego is in! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 3/24/12 9:49:11 PM
Hey Jen I've never been to that part of the country, but I have done the research and fantasized about it. Belmont Park is must in the evening after a meeting. My advice is make SF Magic Mountain a priority. I understand the distance, but even if you must stay an extra day, that park is probably worth it. I know if I was that close to SFMM I would have visit that park. When are you going to get a similar opportunity?
Re: San Fran trip is out San Diego is in! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/24/12 11:47:17 PM
frontrow said:

Hey Jen I've never been to that part of the country, but I have done the research and fantasized about it. Belmont Park is must in the evening after a meeting. My advice is make SF Magic Mountain a priority. I understand the distance, but even if you must stay an extra day, that park is probably worth it. I know if I was that close to SFMM I would have visit that park. When are you going to get a similar opportunity?

I've been to LA twice and both times SFMM was either closed d/t weather (the year El Nina hit bad in 1995 I think - rained almost everyday we were there) or it was the off season and only open on weekends and didn't fit in our schedule. I don't see how I could possible swing it. Can't do that trip in one day and can't afford to stay any longer, plus I have to work that Sat. so getting back on a Fri night (coming home Thurs now) on PST to EST will kill me (and possibly a few patients!) on Sat. I know I'll go out to LA again at some point so I will make it there someday. I'm actually thankful that Knotts isn't so far away. I loved that park the last time I was there and there are quite a few launches in that park :~).

I will def. do the boardwalk one night - might even do it the first night I'm there since if I get the flight I want my plane lands at 2 pm (can't book it until next paycheck). Looks like they have a few good flats too! Anyone know if it's worth it to get the wristband (~$27) or better to pay per ride? Saw the coaster was $6, vertical plunge (drop tower) $3 and the Blaster (claw pendulum) was $5 - just unsure if I'll want to ride more than once (although I do get crazy addicted to drop towers so that may answer my question). And what the hell is that Octotron ride? Does it go completely upside down (HATE hanging upside down) Anyone ever ridden it? If that's worth it then I'll probably get the band since it's $5.

Jen