Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > San Francisco parks

San Francisco parks

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
3/17/12 at
5:21:43 AM

I'm going to a veterinary conference in San Francisco at the end of June and I was looking at the parks in the area. I won't have much time to spare so is a fast trip to SFDK worth it? Are most of those coasters clones? Is Medusa the same as at SFGAdv? Is Roar the same as SFA? Is V2 a Wicked Twister? If I can get there it will probably be late afternoon/early evening and it will be hard to really find the time so I was just wondering if it's worth it. I am intrigued by their new Superman but it looks pretty short - like a full circuit Chiller and that surely wouldn't be worth the stress of trying to get there for one ride.

The Cedar Fair park (Great America) doesn't look very enticing and that's much further away from where I'll be so that one really isn't an option.

If there are any other parks/coasters in the area worth checking out please let me know.

Jen
Re: San Francisco parks by drachen drachen Profile at 3/17/12 11:42:05 AM
GoYanks34 said:

I'm going to a veterinary conference in San Francisco at the end of June and I was looking at the parks in the area. I won't have much time to spare so is a fast trip to SFDK worth it? Are most of those coasters clones? Is Medusa the same as at SFGAdv? Is Roar the same as SFA? Is V2 a Wicked Twister?

I went to SFDK back in 2003, and I thought is was a pretty cool park. You may get more out of it as a Vet, as they have animals all over the back of the park - very cool. It's half amusement park, half zoo.

To answer your questions about the roller coasters, Medusa West beats Medusa East. It has a better layout, I think. Plus there are no speakers on the trains.

ROAR West and ROAR East are essentially the same, the main, and best difference is the Millennium Flyer trains that ROAR West has. I remember loving ROAR West, having already ridden its eastern brother.

V2 is very unique, and I'll find a picture. They originally built it at almost 200 feet, but zoning restrictions caused them to reduce the height to 150 ft. They shortened the back spike. But instead of shortening the front, they redesigned it to rise at a 45 degree angle. It's pretty neat, and very different.

GoYanks34 said:

The Cedar Fair park (Great America) doesn't look very enticing and that's much further away from where I'll be so that one really isn't an option.

If there are any other parks/coasters in the area worth checking out please let me know.

Great America I can't comment on. I wanted to go when I was in the area, but time did not allow. It's main draw for me would be Flight Deck, formerly Top Gun - the second B&M Invert ever to open, and still a pretty good one from what I've heard. If they get that GCI next year, it will be more of a reason for me to go.

The real draw for me to the Bay area, from a park standpoint, would be the Santa Cruz boardwalk and the old Giant Dipper. I missed out on that place on the same trip, and it still bothers me that I didn't make it across the bay.

Have fun, but definitely check out Marine World. Their new coaster looks pretty cool too. It's also one of a kind.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: San Francisco parks by sparky sparky Profile at 3/18/12 9:47:55 AM
Thoughts below...

>I won't have much time to spare so is a fast >trip to SFDK worth it?

SFDK is probably the best rounded SF property, with the park essentially serving as a theme park, sea life park, and zoo. With that said, if you only have time to visit one area park, I would instead venture down to Santa Cruz for the amazing Beach Boardwalk.

>Is Medusa the same as at SFGAdv?

Same genre (B&M Floorless), but totally custom layout. With that said, most coasters in this genre have the same "feel", so despite a custom course, it really isn't that notable.

>Is Roar the same as SFA?

With the exception of a slightly modified station placement, yes. The biggest notable difference between the two Roars is the presence of Millennium Flyer trains on the SFDK version (while SFA's Roar is the last GCII coaster to still run PTC trains).

>Is V2 a Wicked Twister?

SFDK's V2 is actually quite different from the rest of the bunch. After a year operating as an identical ride to SFGAm's version, the locals took action on the park as the ride went above the local 150 ft height limit. So after just one year, SFDK's V2 saw some major modifications with forward spike now positioned at about a 45 degree angle, so the twist is now an inversion. The rear spike remains much the same, just chopped to fall within the height limit and without the hold brake. The end result is that the ride has distinction from the others, but I don't think the distinction is necessarily a positive.


>The Cedar Fair park (Great America) doesn't look >very enticing and that's much further away from >where I'll be so that one really isn't an option.

Like I said above, Santa Cruz is the shining star in the Bay Area park market.

* This post was modified at 3/18/12 9:49:49 AM *

Re: San Francisco parks by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/18/12 10:13:52 PM
sparky said:

Thoughts below...


>I won't have much time to spare so is a fast >trip to SFDK worth it?

SFDK is probably the best rounded SF property, with the park essentially serving as a theme park, sea life park, and zoo. With that said, if you only have time to visit one area park, I would instead venture down to Santa Cruz for the amazing Beach Boardwalk.

>Is Medusa the same as at SFGAdv?

Same genre (B&M Floorless), but totally custom layout. With that said, most coasters in this genre have the same "feel", so despite a custom course, it really isn't that notable.

>Is Roar the same as SFA?

With the exception of a slightly modified station placement, yes. The biggest notable difference between the two Roars is the presence of Millennium Flyer trains on the SFDK version (while SFA's Roar is the last GCII coaster to still run PTC trains).

>Is V2 a Wicked Twister?

SFDK's V2 is actually quite different from the rest of the bunch. After a year operating as an identical ride to SFGAm's version, the locals took action on the park as the ride went above the local 150 ft height limit. So after just one year, SFDK's V2 saw some major modifications with forward spike now positioned at about a 45 degree angle, so the twist is now an inversion. The rear spike remains much the same, just chopped to fall within the height limit and without the hold brake. The end result is that the ride has distinction from the others, but I don't think the distinction is necessarily a positive.


>The Cedar Fair park (Great America) doesn't look >very enticing and that's much further away from >where I'll be so that one really isn't an option.

Like I said above, Santa Cruz is the shining star in the Bay Area park market.

I got so excited when I looked at that Boardwalk map until I saw it's 1 1/2 hours away. That will be very difficult. I may be able to do it the last day I'm there but that would be a Sunday and the crowds/traffic would probably be crazy in the beginning of July. It's hard b/c I'll be in lectures from 8 am - 5 pm every day except Sun (get out at noon). I can skip out early one day if I need to but I'd have to look at the schedule.

The thing that sucks is I won't have a whole day to sight see anywhere so I need to stay as close as possible to get as much done. I figured I could do the night Alcatraz tour, take a ride to the Golden Gate Bridge and go to Fisherman's Warf after the conference gets out at night since it will still be light out for a while but an amusement park will be much more difficult. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it. And I do have a season pass for SF. But that Boardwalk looks SO incredible. UGH!!!

Jen
Re: San Francisco parks by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/19/12 9:01:43 PM
Well, there's plenty of awesome stuff to do in SF. But, yes, SCBB is a gem of a park.

- Pat-O