Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Most inversions in one day

Most inversions in one day

LoneStar LoneStar Profile

Posted:
3/12/12 at
9:56:58 AM

Saturday at Xetulul (TR coming soon!) I rode Avalancha 23 times total. This calculates to my spinning upside down 184 times in a single day.

Although I've never kept track, I'm sure that is a personal record of mine. So I was thinking, what is the most inversions you've gone through in a single day?

My total doesn't include the flats I rode, so I'm sure I cleared 200 total flips for the day. But just counting coasters, what's your daily inversion record?

- Pat-O

Re: Most inversions in one day by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 3/12/12 7:50:27 PM
Ya got me beat by a LOT! My high is 52 inversions in one day. 10 rides on an SLC, and 1 ride on a corkscrew.
Re: Most inversions in one day by drachen drachen Profile at 3/12/12 8:44:06 PM
LoneStar said:

Saturday at Xetulul (TR coming soon!) I rode Avalancha 23 times total. This calculates to my spinning upside down 184 times in a single day.

But just counting coasters, what's your daily inversion record?

Wow. That is incredible, and probably more than I would put myself through.

While I keep track of a lot of things, the number of times I've been upside down in a particular day is not one of them.

I can say that I've been turned upside-down on a roller coaster over 1700 times in my life.

Looking back, it would have to be one of my trips to Great Adventure or Magic Mountain.

I may have cracked 50 at Great Adventure at one point, back when they had Scream Machine, Medusa, Viper, Chiller, and Batman all running.

At Magic Mountain, I'm thinking between X, Viper, Deja Vu, Revolution, Scream!, Batman and Riddler, I might have broken 40.

Still, nothing near 184. 23 times on an 8-inversion coaster? Didn't you get bored?

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Most inversions in one day by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 3/12/12 8:44:10 PM
gvlaker27 said:

10 rides on an SLC

And you lived to tell about it? LOL

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Most inversions in one day by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/12/12 8:53:38 PM
The park was very slow on Saturday, and the ride ops wiated a long time between train dispatches to let the train fill up, so I got a good 4-5 minutes rest between each ride.

I rode 6 times in the morning, then 8 more rides in the afternoon, and 7 more before leaving.

As you'll read in my TR, there wasn't a ton of stuff to do at the park, and I wanted to get my money's worth of my time. Plus, I hadn't marathoned a coaster in a long time, so I figured why not see how many rides I could get in.

It's a pretty fun coaster, and those heart line rolls NEVER get old. The headbanging and soreness got too much for me to handle after 23 rides though.

- Pat-O

Re: Most inversions in one day by frontrow frontrow Profile at 3/12/12 9:05:42 PM
We went to Cedar Point in October of 2000 for the weekend. Saturday the park had a small crowd and we were able to ride everything multiple times. On Sunday temps went below freezing and the park was empty. We focused on their big 3 that day. We rode Magnum 10 times. We rode Millennium Force 15 times. If you remember the first year of MF you weren't allowed to wait for a specific seat, it was the luck of the draw. We got front seat 3 times that day. The coaster we rode the most was Raptor, taking 25 circuits. So 25 x 6 is 150. We could have rode Mantis, but we rode 5 times the day before. It was the only time I've been to CP were they let us stay on Raptor and Magnum. So 150 is my number.
Re: Most inversions in one day by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/12/12 9:34:16 PM
Great_Ump said:

gvlaker27 said:

10 rides on an SLC

Joe
Great_Ump

LMAO! Why would anyone want to subject themselves to that?!

Jen
Re: Most inversions in one day by alpengeistno3 at 3/13/12 1:32:34 AM
I may have it. One day, I rode Drachen Fire 72 times in one day. So, help my math, I think that's 72 x 5 = 360. It was a busy day at the park, so Drachen Fire was the only ride with a walk-on line. With 3 trains running, I also got numerous rerides. I did take one ride on Loch Ness and BBW at the end of the day (took the final 2 hours that the park was open) so the final total was 362.

I also went to Gradv on a slow opening day in 2006 and rode Scream Machine 36 times, Medusa 2 times, Batman TR 2 times, Supes 1 time, and Chiller: Robin 2 times. (I have it written down, so I'm not that crazy to remember that all these years later :) So, I think that is...need the calculator here... 252 + 14 + 10 + 3 + 6 = 285.
Drachen Fire still wins.

I'd try to calculate the day I rode Anaconda 52 times or Flight of Fear 30 times (with the OTSR's, ouch!!), but I don't think either of those will beat the above two.

Needless to say, loopers don't phase me (however, I was feeling pretty punch drunk after the FoF and Scream Machine marathons and Drachen Fire bruised my shoulders really badly from bracing in the OTSR's during the rough spots.)

Paul

* This post was modified at 3/13/12 1:33:06 AM *

Re: Most inversions in one day by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/13/12 8:26:54 AM
Uh, wow and stuff. How did you handle DrachenFire 72 times?

And Anaconda? Loopers don't phase me, but I don't think I could handle that much headbanging. Did you feel like you had been through a heavy weight bout?

-Pat-O

Re: Most inversions in one day by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/13/12 9:29:08 AM
Sorry...I may be obsessive about coasters, and keep track of the ones I've been on. But I don't keep track of the number of times I've been on a particular ride (except on a single visit basis,) much less the number of inversions on a particular day. I'd imagine my number wouldn't be particularly high, as wood and hypers don't loop (SOB not-withstanding) and I've rarely done full-fledged marathons on coasters that invert. I've done as many as 20 rides in a day on Afterburn and Talon, but that's probably where I reached whatever number I could claim.

Mike G.

Re: Most inversions in one day by drachen drachen Profile at 3/13/12 9:36:43 AM
LoneStar said:

And Anaconda? Loopers don't phase me, but I don't think I could handle that much headbanging. Did you feel like you had been through a heavy weight bout?

I could never do those kind of numbers in a single day. That is incredible.

Between Anaconda and Flight of Fear, that was 328 inversions. I love Anaconda, and if it weren't for that odd-ball figure 8 thing, it would be one of Arrow's smoothest designs out there. It's still very fun over (and through) the water. I could ride it over and over again... but 52 times? Wow...

To be honest, talking about all of these old Arrow coasters makes me kinda' sad...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Re: Most inversions in one day by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/13/12 10:08:17 AM
To be honest, talking about all of these old Arrow coasters makes me kinda' sad...

I agree, Drachen. I am so sad I will never be able to ride Drachenfire, Steel Phantom or Orient Express. I remember when I was in my high school years dreaming of these coaster when they were among the top in the world. A few years later, after college when I had the ability to travel around the country, they were gone.

I wasn't really big on riding GASM or Shockwave, considering my negative experience on Viper SFMM, but they still would have been cool.

And now we've lost BBW, Eagle Fortress, and Hyabusa!!

I wonder how Ron felt seeing his masterpieces torn down and replaced...by a spinning coaster of all things!?!?

Many Arrow and Vekoma coasters experimented with different train styles with different restraints, but even these couldn't save the rides. Too bad. It seems with modern tech someone could design a car to make many Arrow's less painful.

At least we still have Vortex!!!

- Pat-O

Re: Most inversions in one day by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 3/13/12 11:13:08 AM
GoYanks34 said:

Great_Ump said:

gvlaker27 said:

10 rides on an SLC

Joe
Great_Ump

LMAO! Why would anyone want to subject themselves to that?!

Keep in mind that was the first time I'd ever had access to repeat rides on a coaster. It happened to be Thunderhawk at Mich. Adv, which had some work done before it came from Geauga. I regret nothing! Lol

Re: Most inversions in one day by drachen drachen Profile at 3/13/12 11:40:50 AM
LoneStar said:

I wasn't really big on riding GASM or Shockwave, considering my negative experience on Viper SFMM, but they still would have been cool.

And now we've lost BBW, Eagle Fortress, and Hyabusa!!

Eagle Fortress and Hyabusa might have well have never existed in my book. I don't know when I would have ever gotten to Japan or Korea.

But you bring up a good point about suspended coasters fading away. I have yet to meet one that I didn't like.

LoneStar said:

Many Arrow and Vekoma coasters experimented with different train styles with different restraints, but even these couldn't save the rides. Too bad. It seems with modern tech someone could design a car to make many Arrow's less painful.

At least we still have Vortex!!!

As sad as it is, it is understandable to me that these rides get replaced. Nothing lasts forever, and when the cost to maintain/replace parts and track becomes to high and too regular, it's time to go.

I have yet to get to Kings Island, for some odd reason. When I do, Beast is at the top of my list. But rides #2 and 2a on my priority list are Vortex and Flight Deck. It really does break my heart when we lose an Arrow ride that I have yet to ride.

And I LOVED Viper at Magic Mountain. Loved Scream Machine too.

drachen
Re: Most inversions in one day by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/13/12 12:30:10 PM
I recommend riding Vortex toward the back. The airtime on the first drop is fantastic. The batwing is incredible, also.

In the front, the train does not transition well between elements and you get some jostling and headbanging.

- Pat-O

Re: Most inversions in one day by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 3/13/12 1:11:52 PM
Caught Kentucky Kingdom on a day they had two trains on Chang and couldn't fill a train, We hopped from seat to seat a few times but I bet we rode 25 times. Add in two or three T-2 rides and I bet was well over 200.

Got lucky on our sunday night visit to SFGAM as well and rode Shockwave 9 rides straight in the last hour. The coaster was removed two years later.

Re: Most inversions in one day by KHTOExtreme at 3/13/12 3:37:19 PM
Well if we could include the amount of spins. As in the ride usually called, Rock O Plane, that caged Ferris wheel thing that you can spin around. So in around a nice 6 minute ride cycle we got a free ride do to use spinning so much and the crowd that has surround the ride, and this is a estimate with my count while we were going around for good and the crowds estimate was around 550-600 spins around.

I wished I owned a video camera at that time. Also I remember hearing a guy in yelling I done counting at 200 and I want what you guys are smoking, which was nothing this began the bi-yearly fun of this thing. But it was so hard to get off the ride cause I felt like I was still spinning for about 10 minutes after the ride but never once have I bowed to the porcelain god.

Re: Most inversions in one day by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/13/12 4:25:29 PM
9 rides on Shockwave...how did that treat you?

- Pat-O

Re: Most inversions in one day by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 3/13/12 6:06:06 PM
(Digging out notebook) Let's see, Feb 1, 2000, at Busch Tampa, 20 on Kumba and 23 on Montu. So that's 43x7=301 inversions that day.

Roz

Re: Most inversions in one day by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 3/13/12 6:16:35 PM
(Digging out another volume) Holy Smoke! SFGAD on Sunday Nov.2, 1997: 17 rides on GASM and 52 rides on BTR! (Calculator) 7x17 + 5x52 = 379 inversions!

I claim the prize!

Roz

* This post was modified at 3/13/12 6:24:33 PM *

Re: Most inversions in one day by alpengeistno3 at 3/13/12 7:59:37 PM
LoneStar said:

-Pat-O

I'm fairly tall (5'10 1/2), so my head is well above the top of the shoulder harness. I all I do is flex my shoulders at the rough spots (which I found out after my 1st ride) and keep my head off the headrest (despite what any ride spiel will tell you.) I mentioned my shoulder were bruised and raw from absorbing the blow from the turn after the cobra roll and the flat ramp so many times, but my head was fine.

Anaconda is not bad as long as you are prepared for the bottom of the butterfly. The turn into the block brake is sharp, but I find lifting up my legs and leaning into the turn takes away any banging.

Flight of Fear and Scream Machine were another story. I discovered that I could not ride FOF in a wheel seat (even numbered row) without coming off feeling like I went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Riding Car 5-1, the banging was actually manageable. Scream Machine, I don't get to Gradv that often, so occasionally I got caught by the snap between the 2nd and 3rd loops from not paying attention. The only reason I rode it that many times is once I got to 15, the ride ops were egging me on. I love arrow loopers, but Nitro and Medusa also did not have lines by that point, so I called it quits at 36 (around 6:00 when I think the park closed at 8:00.) If not for that, I could have made 40 or 50 if I took a walk to clear my head.

Paul

Re: Most inversions in one day by alpengeistno3 at 3/13/12 8:03:15 PM
drachen said:

Between Anaconda and Flight of Fear, that was 328 inversions. I love Anaconda, and if it weren't for that odd-ball figure 8 thing, it would be one of Arrow's smoothest designs out there. It's still very fun over (and through) the water. I could ride it over and over again... but 52 times? Wow...

Anaconda and FOF were not on the same day. My shoulders are tough, but not THAT tough!!

Paul

Re: Most inversions in one day by alpengeistno3 at 3/13/12 8:09:41 PM
BigShotRoz said:

(Digging out another volume) Holy Smoke! SFGAD on Sunday Nov.2, 1997: 17 rides on GASM and 52 rides on BTR! (Calculator) 7x17 + 5x52 = 379 inversions!

I claim the prize!

Roz

You barely got me, Roz. But was only because Busch took the 6th inversion out of Drachen Fire. If it was still there, I'd have 432 + 2 from Loch Ness for 434. I'm pretty sure it was the 5 inversion version of Drachen Fire that I did that marathon on. I'll need to pull out the old floppy disc to see what year it was, just in case I want to try to get my bragging rights back :)

Paul

Re: Most inversions in one day by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 3/13/12 8:12:59 PM
LoneStar said:

9 rides on Shockwave...how did that treat you?

- Pat-O

Loved it! and the ride was apparently very popular, When we went back Monday it had long lines all day.

Re: Most inversions in one day by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/13/12 8:19:34 PM

I'm fairly tall (5'10 1/2), so my head is well above the top of the shoulder harness. I all I do is flex my shoulders at the rough spots (which I found out after my 1st ride) and keep my head off the headrest (despite what any ride spiel will tell you.) I mentioned my shoulder were bruised and raw from absorbing the blow from the turn after the cobra roll and the flat ramp so many times, but my head was fine.

I have noticed that if I can keep my head above the restraints on some of those rides, the banging isnt' too bad.

Yall have some awesome inversion stories!

- Pat-O