Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close

KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close

RobLec RobLec Profile

Posted:
3/9/12 at
12:05:23 PM

The Beach was in operation for 27 years and follows Surf Cincinnati down the drain so to speak. They blame the economy, low attendance and "local competition".

Beach Waterpark to close

Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/9/12 2:37:34 PM
RobLec said:

The Beach was in operation for 27 years and follows Surf Cincinnati down the drain so to speak. They blame the economy, low attendance and "local competition".

I always thought the Beach was affiliated with KI. No?

Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/9/12 3:10:53 PM
beastmaster said:

RobLec said:

Nope... they're the competition, and their proximity is probably the reason why KI built a waterpark in the first place somewhere back around 1990. I'm really not sure exactly when, but I know they've never had anything to do with each other.

Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by frontrow frontrow Profile at 3/9/12 3:53:04 PM
My first visit to Kings Island was in 1999. When I saw The Beach water park I thought who would pay to go to a water park when there is an amusement park with a water park across the street. This is not surprising at all. I'm surprised The Beach survived as long as it did.
Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 3/10/12 8:08:48 AM
Are you kidding me???? This is sad news!!! I was just there last year for the first time and was amazed.It was the best waterpark I have been to next to Mountain Creek in Jersey.All the slides were different and not cookie cutter like all the waterparks now.One of the slides gave the most amazing airtime of any waterslide I was ever on.I took video to prove it.Well atleast I got to go there before they closed.So sad.....Dion
Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/10/12 9:57:23 AM
chitlins73 said:

Are you kidding me???? This is sad news!!! I was just there last year for the first time and was amazed.It was the best waterpark I have been to next to Mountain Creek in Jersey.All the slides were different and not cookie cutter like all the waterparks now.One of the slides gave the most amazing airtime of any waterslide I was ever on.I took video to prove it.Well atleast I got to go there before they closed.So sad.....Dion

Air time on a water slide? Nice..doesn't happen often. Although, when I was in my 20's (you know, 50 years ago ;)) I sprained my shoulder on the Surf Hill at what was then Action Park (now Mountain Creek.) I hit about three feet altitude and came down on my left shoulder. Good times...

Mike, still trying to think of a signature...

Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/10/12 10:47:37 AM
beastmaster said:
came down on my left shoulder. Good times...

Now that was worth a chuckle :)

Unfortunately I never actually got to visit the Beach. Came close once though. We had some friends that always bought family passes... they had a large family (okay, I live in a catholic town) and Beach family passes cost the same whether you had four or fourteen in your family. We always did KI.

One would expect a stand alone WP to go a step above an add-on to a rides park. But once KI put in the flowrider, all of my free time was spoken for ;)

Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/10/12 11:49:28 AM
RobLec said
One would expect a stand alone WP to go a step above an add-on to a rides park. But once KI put in the flowrider, all of my free time was spoken for ;)

From what I've read and seen, people really seem to love those. I've never tried one.

Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/10/12 5:08:03 PM
beastmaster said:

RobLec said:

Nope... they're the competition, and their proximity is probably the reason why KI built a waterpark in the first place somewhere back around 1990. I'm really not sure exactly when, but I know they've never had anything to do with each other.

Me too! I thought it was KI's water park. You learn something new everyday.... Where is KI's water park? I don't remember seeing one in the park when I was there but I could be wrong.

Jen
Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/10/12 7:59:43 PM
GoYanks34 said:
Where is KI's water park? I don't remember seeing one in the park when I was there but I could be wrong.

Check out the right side of the park map. To get to the WP you can 1) enter directly from the parking lot, or 2) take the train from Rivertown, near the Beast, or 3) walk thru Planet Snoopy and past the picnic grounds. It's actually a pretty nice waterpark. Plus they have the only flowrider in the midwest.

Flowriders (http://www.waveloch.com/), as Mike observed have become quite popular... they are even putting them on cruise ships now. Of course, if the ship can't stay afloat, the cruise becomes somewhat of a thrill ride all by itself.

Kings Island Park Map

Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/10/12 8:08:17 PM
RobLec said:

Check out the right side of the park map. To get to the WP you can 1) enter directly from the parking lot, or 2) take the train from Rivertown, near the Beast, or 3) walk thru Planet Snoopy and past the picnic grounds. It's actually a pretty nice waterpark. Plus they have the only flowrider in the midwest.

I never would have seen it there. I was never in that area or took the train ride. Can you see it from any of the rides? I would think maybe from that magnificent drop tower they have (God, I LOVED that thing!) but it is on the other side of the park. Had a few storms pass through the day I was there so I'm sure the waterpark was probably empty to begin with. I can't believe I never knew it was there and thought the one across the street was theirs.

Jen

Jen
Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 3/11/12 9:47:39 AM
I should be sitting here kicking myself repeatedly over this news. For years I've wanted to go to The Beach to check it out as from my views as you exit I-71 at Kings Mills Rd. you get a good view of the water park and it looked awesome. But I'm more of a ride person than a water park person and I'd spend my time more at Kings Island.

G-Dog

Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/11/12 2:11:04 PM
chitlins73 said:

Are you kidding me???? This is sad news!!! I was just there last year for the first time and was amazed... Well at least I got to go there before they closed. So sad.....Dion

Seeing G-Dog's reply below reminded me... my first and only trip to Geauga Lake was the last summer just before they closed.

Re: KI waterpark expansion fallout: Beach Waterpark to close by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 3/11/12 5:25:15 PM
RobLec said:

chitlins73 said:

Are you kidding me???? This is sad news!!! I was just there last year for the first time and was amazed... Well at least I got to go there before they closed. So sad.....Dion

Seeing G-Dog's reply below reminded me... my first and only trip to Geauga Lake was the last summer just before they closed.

Yeah...I am happy that I made the trip to Hard Rock Park the only year they were open.