Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do?

Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do?

Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile

Posted:
3/5/12 at
1:10:18 PM

You're the operator of a wooden roller coaster. There is a 30-minute line for your ride and two trains on the circuit.

The five-car, two bench PTC train pulls into the station, you unlock the restraints and all lap bars open, except for one in the very last row. You try to unlock again to no avail. You tell the rider to push down, pull up and he can't release it. You try it yourself. Finally, you don't have a screwdriver or any device to manually release the restraint.

A couple of minutes have gone by while you try and now your fellow operator tries to open it. The rider isn't injured, uncomfortable or upset. He is just unable to get out. It's just one of those regular events that seems to happen over and over with PTC lapbars.

What would you do?

Re: Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do? by drachen drachen Profile at 3/5/12 3:04:52 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

You're the operator of a wooden roller coaster. There is a 30-minute line for your ride and two trains on the circuit.

The five-car, two bench PTC train pulls into the station, you unlock the restraints and all lap bars open, except for one in the very last row. You try to unlock again to no avail. You tell the rider to push down, pull up and he can't release it. You try it yourself. Finally, you don't have a screwdriver or any device to manually release the restraint.

A couple of minutes have gone by while you try and now your fellow operator tries to open it. The rider isn't injured, uncomfortable or upset. He is just unable to get out. It's just one of those regular events that seems to happen over and over with PTC lapbars.

What would you do?

I call MacGyver.

I'd like to think that I would just I'd apologize to the next people in that seat's queue, and I'd let the stuck rider ride over and over again until some one comes up to get them out. That way I'm not holding up operations.

In all seriousness though, as it is a restraint malfunction, I'd wait until maintenance came to let the guy out and make sure it's operating properly. You don't mess with restraints.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/5/12 3:54:27 PM
Ditto that. I'd call maintenance and continue to try to uock the bar as we are waiting for them to arrive.

If the bar became unstuck before maintenance arrived, I'd still wait for them before putting any passengers on the train. I'm sure they'd want to let the train cycle through with no passengers to check for safety.

Yes, it will make peopel wait longer, but you can't cut any corners with safety.

- Pat-O

Re: Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/5/12 8:32:24 PM
That actually happened to me when I went to Quassy to get my first rides on Wooden Warrior in Sept (last day of weekday ops).

It wasn't a very busy day there, but there were people waiting in the station as I was "forced" to stay seated and reride four times in a row. The ops made the executive decision to keep me on, after making sure this old and gray guy was OK with it.

Only "problem" was when it happened I was in the middle of the train, having been working my way through all the rows (in no particular order).
Still, I dealt with it admirably, if I do say so myself.
:-)

I mean, who wouldn't like their own private ERT?

Mike B.
Re: Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/5/12 8:38:37 PM
MABrider said:

I was "forced" to stay seated and reride four times in a row.

Poor baby. :)

Re: Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do? by alpengeistno3 at 3/6/12 1:15:08 AM
I had the same happen to me on KD's Grizzly MANY years ago. (I'm thinking mid 90's before FOF was put in.) It was a dead day and I had already ridden 10 or so times in a row when someone finally wanted my row. I went to push down on the bar and I was so stapled in so it wouldn't pop back up. They tried to use the key thingie, but it would not pop up without the bar being able to go down 1st. I said I was okay with going again, so they sent me around 3 more times until maintenance showed up. I can't remember how they eventually got me out, but it was cool being "stuck" on a ride. (like getting an "overshoot" on Loch Ness back when it was manually parked and the op was not paying attention to stop it in the proper unload position. Those were the days :)

Nowadays, with liability (if someone claims injury from not being able to get off a ride, could be some huge liability that park lawyers would not want to risk, even from a "willing" rider), I am pretty sure a chain park would cease operations until the person could be freed.

Paul

Re: Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 3/6/12 1:37:35 AM
I had this happen to me on Nitro. It was supposed to be the last ride of the day for me and a friend (the last train to go out would be the ppl taking our train) and my restraint was already too tight for my liking.

Knowing you have to pull down and pull up, as the train was getting unlocked our row was stuck and I made it even worse by doing so!!! Normally I would try and signal to the ride op to check to see if our row was unlocked by doing the two hands, thumbs out, and clash the inner sides of my hands together but...I wanted to ride again!

Since no one was in our row we got to go again (they were moving fast and didn't wanna hold the last ride of the day up) even though I was uncomfortable as all hell!

So we got an extra ride in before the day was over :)

Not the same situation but just wanted to share.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do? by sparky sparky Profile at 3/7/12 10:27:27 AM
I wouldn't waste my time riding Rattler in the first place and instead wait until 2013 when it will be worth something.
Re: Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/7/12 12:12:49 PM
sparky said:

I wouldn't waste my time riding Rattler in the first place and instead wait until 2013 when it will be worth something.

Why Mark, what's about to happen with Rattler?
Is it going the way of Texas Giant?

I've still never been to TX; won't get there this year.
But maybe I will soon have two reasons to really get there.

Mike B.
Re: Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/7/12 6:43:53 PM
Who said I was talking about Rattler?
Re: Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/7/12 8:57:42 PM
MABrider said:

sparky said:

Why Mark, what's about to happen with Rattler?
Is it going the way of Texas Giant?

I've still never been to TX; won't get there this year.
But maybe I will soon have two reasons to really get there.

Rattler as it is right now is definitely not a reason to come to Texas.

- Pat-O

Re: Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do? by sparky sparky Profile at 3/8/12 9:53:18 AM
Because it is one of the only wooden coasters that runs 5 2 bench car PTC trains. Cyclops and Zeus at Mount Olympus are the only others I can think of off the top of my head.

That, and you kind of live about an hour from SFFT.

Re: Roller Coaster Operator - What would you do? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 3/9/12 9:36:18 PM
If you ride coasters as often as most of us do, something like this is bound to happen. Last year alone we got stuck on Talon and Boulderdash. Every time I've been stuck on a coaster, which is probably over 15 times, the employees seemed to very friendly, well trained, and had a calm demeanor. Every situation is different and calls for different measures. The park anticipated these type of problems and are well prepared when a problem does arise. If I was ride op, I would handle the situation just like how the ride ops handled my situations like I stated above. Word of advice if you do get stuck on a coaster, tell the ride ops that this was an inconvenience, a portion of your day has now been wasted, and you want an exit pass. They will give in 9 out of 10 times.