Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point 2012

Cedar Point 2012

rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile

Posted:
3/5/12 at
12:35:14 AM

So I'm going to Cedar Point this summer for my first time. I'm going to be staying at the Hotel Breakers so I can get cheaper tickets and get in earlier. But when I get in earlier what coasters would be better to hit first because of lines. I am planing on riding everything there so I am going 2 days. But the problem is I'm going over 4th of July so it will be really busy. I know Maverick is usually the longest line but what else would be to go on at the becoming of the day.

Brandon

Re: Cedar Point 2012 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 3/5/12 2:11:56 AM
How are you getting in early?

I haven't been to Cedar Point yet, hopefully this upcoming season, but for me, I would be riding Millenium Force first and then Maverick.

If you haven't been on Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster I would say go on TTD. It's a short ride but if it's your first time you will have a blast on it!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Cedar Point 2012 by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/5/12 2:20:35 AM
For early entry people seem to either run to Millennium Force or Maverick. I would go to one or the other and then attempt to do the opposite one.

After that if the park has not yet opened I would ride Top Thrill Dragster.

The basic strategy for Cedar Point is to start your day at the back of the park (Mean Streak) and work your way to the front of the park (Raptor and Blue Streak). Most visitors do the opposite, so while you may wait an hour to ride Raptor at 11:00 am, you'll likely only wait 15 minutes at 3:00 pm.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Cedar Point 2012 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 3/5/12 2:36:14 AM
mugen828 said:

How are you getting in early?

I'm getting in early because if you buy your tickets from the hotel your staying at, if its on Cedar Points property you get discounted tickets and get in to the park 1 hour early.

I haven't been to Cedar Point yet, hopefully this upcoming season, but for me, I would be riding Millenium Force first and then Maverick.

If you haven't been on Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster I would say go on TTD. It's a short ride but if it's your first time you will have a blast on it!

Cedar Point will actually my first theme park outside of Six Flags St. Louis and a few other parks I went to as a kid. But I plan on going on TTD but the person who posted that's a good idea I will try that. And I knew Maverick would be a first choice because everyone I've talked to said that's the Longest line they've ever waited in.

Re: Cedar Point 2012 by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/5/12 2:49:04 AM
Please fix your message by editing it. Don't type your reply between the [ quote ] [ /quote ] tags. Your reply needs to come after.
Re: Cedar Point 2012 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 3/5/12 2:53:25 AM
Oh sorry. I haven't been in here in awhile and just.don't remember that much.
Re: Cedar Point 2012 by squirrels at 3/6/12 2:09:32 PM
IMO...in order of "must-ride"...

* Millenium Force (unique experience)

* Maverick (unique experience)

* Top Thrill Dragster (especially if you've never done Kingda Ka or any other Intamin tophats)

* Raptor (like any other B&M Invert, but the best of them IMO)

* Magnum XL-200...could be higher if you're a big "air-time" fan

* Mantis (unless you've ridden Chang/Green Lantern at 6F GAdv...if so, it's not as 'must-ride')

The rest, I can take or leave. Iron Dragon is a good ride for the less-intense coaster-fans of your group. The wooden coasters are kind of painful. Wicked Twister is a thrill-ride that is usually good to catch just because it typically has a short line. I have been twice and have never ridden Corkscrew, Gemini, or Disaster Transport, and I don't feel like I'm missing much.

July 4th is definitely going to be busy. Expect lines 2+ hours for the big-three on the list above:

* Maverick
* Millenium Force
* Top Thrill Dragster

My own recommendation is to take MAXIMUM advantage of your early-entrance and, as long as they're open, hit these coasters FIRST. Usually these rides are part of early admission. I recommend hitting Maverick and doubling back for MF before general admission.

As general admission starts opening, you can start thinking about some of the other coasters. Raptor/Mantis/Magnum will have long lines at peak hours, but not as bad as the Intamin coasters. Iron Dragon, WT, and the woodies usually aren't a bad wait.

Keep the HEAT in mind as well. Maverick's queuing line has a very stuffy inner-building and is exposed to the sun outside. Doesn't make for a very rider-friendly wait. MF's queuing line is largely covered, with drink machines along the way, except for the last stretch to the station. TTD is maybe half-covered, again with drink machines, but the covers are most effective at high-noon. Other times, the sun comes in underneath them.

Keep an eye out for breakdowns. Lines will often clear for long outages. Maverick is notorious for fickle reliability and Millenium has been hit-and-miss too for me. This CAN end up clearing the lines, though, so this may be a chance to snipe a short wait on one of the big-three.

If you're staying nearby, take advantage of the fact that you have the whole day and night in the park. There may be a lull in the late afternoon between the "morning crowd" and the "night crowd", as well as possibly less people at the end of the night. Those may be good times to get in a second run on one of the "big three" coasters.

Breakers is nice, but for what you get, it's a little overpriced. Sandcastle is a better deal and maybe another 1/2 mile walk from the Breakers. (It sits literally right next to Magnum XL200) It may be to your advantage, too...there is an entrance back by Magnum XL-200 that will let you get closer to Maverick or TTD if you decide you want to hit that first. All of the entrances are probably equidistant from Millenium Force.

My 0.02.

Plenty of parks have a great assortment of coasters, but it's hard to find a place with so many "world-class" rides. Enjoy.

* This post was modified at 3/6/12 2:12:41 PM *

Re: Cedar Point 2012 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 3/6/12 2:38:22 PM
Thank youi was planing on hitting maverick first but wasn't sure about the rest. I planed on riding everything I could for the two days I am there. The only thing I will have to worry about though is my mom rides nothing so she will probably sit at the hotel while 2 of my sisters probably won't go on TTD, MF, or Mantis. And me and my dad and my brother will ride anything. So my sisters wouldn't want to wait for us and get to do any of the good rides. But with the woodies I'm used to painful ones The Boss at Six Flags St. Louis is really rough and painful bit its so much fun. We might skip out on Rapter just because its so similiar to Batman The Ride here. But the big 3 are a must along with Mantis since we've never been on a standup and Magnum because I've never been on a coaster over 200 ft besides Mr. Freeze. And are the thrill rides worth it if we have time or should ar just stick to the coasters?

Brandon

Re: Cedar Point 2012 by squirrels at 3/7/12 10:23:41 AM
rollercoastersfreak said:

Thank youi was planing on hitting maverick first but wasn't sure about the rest. I planed on riding everything I could for the two days I am there. The only thing I will have to worry about though is my mom rides nothing so she will probably sit at the hotel while 2 of my sisters probably won't go on TTD, MF, or Mantis. And me and my dad and my brother will ride anything. So my sisters wouldn't want to wait for us and get to do any of the good rides. But with the woodies I'm used to painful ones The Boss at Six Flags St. Louis is really rough and painful bit its so much fun. We might skip out on Rapter just because its so similiar to Batman The Ride here. But the big 3 are a must along with Mantis since we've never been on a standup and Magnum because I've never been on a coaster over 200 ft besides Mr. Freeze. And are the thrill rides worth it if we have time or should ar just stick to the coasters?

Brandon

I have never been on any of the thrill rides. MaxAir looks like fun, but there "claw-style" rides at a bunch of theme parks. Windseeker is more of an open-air observation tower than anything.

But you're going on a Federal holiday during vacation season...you're going to have a hard time finding time between coasters for thrill rides. If I'm wrong and you have time, go for it. :)

If you've never ridden a stand-up, a word of advice: STAND UP. The "bicycle seat" is there just to keep you secured, not to hold your weight. If your hind-end is resting on the seat in the loops, your "sensitive bits" will get crushed. Take the weight on your legs and push with your knees/calves in the loops.

Have fun!

PS: How old are you and your sisters?

* This post was modified at 3/7/12 10:24:40 AM *

Re: Cedar Point 2012 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 3/7/12 11:45:50 AM
I'll be 21 when we go, my brother will be 18, and my sisters will 14 and 16.
Re: Cedar Point 2012 by Pepboy56 at 3/12/12 1:06:57 AM
I've been there many times as am a platinum pass holder and was originally from the area. Use the back entrance and head straight to the Maverick. If you move fast enough to beat the crowd when the rope drops you can try for two rides on Maverick. (trust me you WILL want to ride it again).

Then high tail it to the MForce. After that you need to make a choice. Either head to Top Fuel Dragster, or to the Raptor. By the time you get off of whichever you decide upon, the general public will be thundering up the midway. Affectionally called the "Running of the Bulls" by the employees. And if you ever get to watch it, you will agree with that title.

Plan ahead and don't waste time between rides. Fast walk or run between rides to make maximum use of that extra hour you have before the crowds hit and you might just be able to get one more ride in before normal opening time. Or at worst be in the line for it where you can watch everyone running up the midway.

Enjoy your trip and if there is any way possible to a change the date to something other than July 4th........do so!!! You'll be glad you did.

Re: Cedar Point 2012 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 3/12/12 2:18:16 AM
My mom wants to go a different week because it will be too busy and expensive. I would rather go a different week because warped tour is July 5 in St. Louis.
Re: Cedar Point 2012 by squirrels at 3/12/12 8:55:22 AM
http://thepointol.com/cedarpoint/2011-crowd-expectations/

Slowest time for all theme-parks is in May. School is still in session and cooler temps may discourage guests. Pre-Memorial-Day.

After Memorial Day, when the vacation season starts, Cedar is going to be mobbed. Even during the weekdays, CP is crowded because Sandusky is a beach-front resort, which means week-long vacationers.

If you can swing it...you MAY want to consider Late September/Early October. Here's why:

In fall, Cedar Point has their "Halloweekends", where the park is filled with haunted houses and crazies dressed up like monsters. It's an interesting (very "trippy") experience. The haunted areas are fun for everyone in the family (read: your coaster-shy sisters).

Now the downside is that Saturday and Sunday are often just as crowded as summertime crowds. Long waits for the major rides, even WORSE than the 4th. Early ride admission will give you some slack, but by the time the main crowd moves in, you're going to have some serious wait times.

So why am I recommending it? Because even though Sat and Sun are MOBBED, the park is also open Friday night. And don't tell anyone, but it is generally DEAD on Friday nights on Halloweekends. (high school football games trump amusement parks in rural Ohio)

And when I say DEAD, I mean coaster lines are 15-20 minutes for the GOOD coasters. (MF, Maverick, TTD) My friends actually did 5 back-to-back rides on TTD in the closing half-hour of the park. During most days, that's virtually unheard-of.

Now on Halloweekend Friday nights, they generally staff lightly, so they only have certain attractions open. But they're the ones you want to ride. (MF, Maverick, TTD, Raptor, Magnum, Wicked Twister, Blue Streak, Iron Dragon are generally open)

So if I'm recommending a date, I'd say get there on a "Halloweekend", maybe in September. Get there early Friday, be at the park for early admission Friday evening (usually like 5PM...general is at 6), and get as much coaster time in as possible. Doubles on MF, Maverick, TTD, Magnum, and Raptor. You'll still have a little daylight. Try to ride the "big three" at least once in daylight and once at night. Once they get the Halloween fog machines going, Millenium Force especially is a treat. :) You'll also get the full effect of the haunted midways, since there are a lot fewer people in the crowd and the "creatures" seem to just materialize out of nowhere.

Saturday, use your early admission for a couple more rides, then spend the rest of the day picking up rides on stuff that wasn't open (Mantis, for example), or just enjoying the park. Again, once it turns dark, the Halloween attractions open, and lots of people just spend the entire Saturday night walking the haunted houses with the crowds.

* This post was modified at 3/12/12 8:56:08 AM *

Re: Cedar Point 2012 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 3/12/12 5:37:28 PM
My parents won't want to go in October/September because my sisters will be in school. But in June during the week what is usually the slowest week?
Re: Cedar Point 2012 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 4/25/12 3:09:32 AM
So I am going June 7-9. I just booked the hotel tonight.
Re: Cedar Point 2012 by Sofaking at 4/25/12 4:01:21 PM
Going on a trip there myself. June 10 and 11. Don't break any of the rides.. Have a good time.
Re: Cedar Point 2012 by CoasterSparty at 4/27/12 1:18:01 PM
Since you are going to be there for two days, I might suggest going straight to Maverick and riding it twice. Then hustle over to Force. You should be able to at least get in line before the crowd gets in. Ride it twice.

After that, the lines are going to start getting long no matter where you go. Even with a crowd (and in early June it should be too bad), you should be able to hit every coaster at least once by the end of the day.

Then, for Day 2, figure out what your favorite coaster is and plan to spend the first hour there. One time, we were lucky enough to ride Force FIVE TIMES before the crowd showed up. (BTW, I wouldn't do that again, I am too old for that. But it sounds like you are a young guy ...)

If the lines start getting too long in the middle of the day, take a break by getting on a ride or two. One of the great things about Cedar Point (in addition to the awesome coasters) is that there are other types of rides to break up your day. Magnum XL and Gemini are two decent older coasters that don't receive the attention of the newer ones and therefore often have very short lines.