Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Swarm article

Swarm article

LoneStar LoneStar Profile

Posted:
3/1/12 at
3:49:10 PM

Interesting article about Swarm

- Pat-O

Swarm

Re: Swarm article by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/1/12 4:03:07 PM
i saw this story more than a month ago . The over-riding opinion seem to be that it was a stunt, the likes of which Thorpe has been known for in the past.

Wouldn't stop me from riding the darn thing ;)

Mike

Re: Swarm article by alpengeistno3 at 3/1/12 6:47:50 PM
Has anyone ever seen a water dummy with arms? Most of the ones here in Va are just chest shaped jugs, but I remember one park (Gradv, maybe) that had some with legs. Never seen one with arms before.

Publicity stunt?!?! Certainly a park chain who advertised a ride as "the scariest ever" with a supposed mandated age restriction and limit of 1 ride per day would NEVER try to pull something like that ;)

Paul

Re: Swarm article by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/1/12 7:00:23 PM
I would think the water dummy requirements would vary by ride and the design of the restraint system. You wouldn't want to test legless water dummies on certain Intamin hypercoasters.
Re: Swarm article by alpengeistno3 at 3/2/12 3:24:30 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

You wouldn't want to test legless water dummies on certain Intamin hypercoasters.

I didn't really want to go there, but a certain park's ride ops could have benefited from such a demonstration last season.

Paul

Re: Swarm article by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/2/12 9:57:47 AM
Here's the POV

www.youtube.com/watch?v=88YSvVo1Zeg&feature=player_embedded

Re: Swarm article by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/2/12 12:43:51 PM
beastmaster said:

i saw this story more than a month ago . The over-riding opinion seem to be that it was a stunt, the likes of which Thorpe has been known for in the past.

Wouldn't stop me from riding the darn thing ;)

Mike

I second that. This was a publicity stunt that they pulled off nicely. If arms were really ripped off of the dummies due to a design flaw, actual people would not have been allowed to test ride it.

Count me in for a ride as well!

Jen