Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Vekoma Invertigo question

Vekoma Invertigo question

LoneStar LoneStar Profile

Posted:
2/27/12 at
10:15:46 PM

I just saw on RCDB that there are now only 3 Vekoma inverted boomerangs (smaller version) operating. Why has this ride not been more popular? Are they just a maintenance nightmare?

I LOVED Face Off at KI. Even though Vekoma cookie cutter coasters usually aren't that great, it was awesome and intense. I am surprised, with such a small footprint, we don't see more.

Which also makes me wish we had more giant invertigos around, too.

- Pat-O

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/28/12 9:21:06 AM
I like Invertigo too. I think the issue is capacity for those rides more than anything.

Jen

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by drachen drachen Profile at 2/28/12 9:21:45 AM
LoneStar said:

I just saw on RCDB that there are now only 3 Vekoma inverted boomerangs (smaller version) operating. Why has this ride not been more popular? Are they just a maintenance nightmare?

Ummm... yes and no. I suppose they can be a nightmare if not properly maintained. They suffered from breakdowns in their early years. But it seems to me that the current two in the U.S. operate just fine. Obviously, SFA got tired of theirs.

But, if they were that bad, you wouldn't see a park like Dorney taking on a re-located one.

Why are they not popular? I think it's simply because many parks already have a sit-down Vekoma Boomerang. Those parks are not going to spend the money to built an almost identical ride, or even replace their current boomerang with an inverted version.

LoneStar said:
I LOVED Face Off at KI. Even though Vekoma cookie cutter coasters usually aren't that great, it was awesome and intense. I am surprised, with such a small footprint, we don't see more.

I'm with you. I rode SFA's a few times, and I was impressed with it. Fast and smooth, and riding facing your friends is pretty cool. I wish they still had it.

But I'm glad Dorney is getting one now. I only wish it wasn't at the expense of Laser, so to speak.

LoneStar said:

Absolutely, as it seems that those kinks have been worked out too. Again, it's not a ride that any park with a current boomerang is going to build. (with the exception of SFNE, which is odd to me.)

They were expensive too, and have a low capacity. But other than that they are very well-engineered rides, and a lot of fun.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by MABrider MABrider Profile at 2/28/12 12:44:32 PM
drachen said:
LoneStar said:

Absolutely, as it seems that those kinks have been worked out too. Again, it's not a ride that any park with a current boomerang is going to build. (with the exception of SFNE, which is odd to me.)

They were expensive too, and have a low capacity. But other than that they are very well-engineered rides, and a lot of fun.

The SFNE version will have new trains with straight across seating. That should help with some of the capacity issues, since people used to get confused and/or bump into one another with the original seating configuration. Other than that, I just hope the thing will be reliable.

Mike B.
Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by alpengeistno3 at 2/28/12 6:33:46 PM
drachen said:

But, if they were that bad, you wouldn't see a park like Dorney taking on a re-located one.

Seeing how Silverwood took on SFGAM's Deja Vu and SFNE is taking on MM's, I don't think maintenance history has anything to do with the decision to relocate a ride.

Paul

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 2/28/12 7:09:09 PM
More than likely it's because so many parks have the standard boomerang that it would be pointless to install an Invertigo (though SFNE is proving us wrong with that this year).

While I like Vekoma boomerangs I, too, enjoy the Invertigo a bit more than the standard design. If Vekoma has fixed the issues with their GIB design I would love to see more of these as SFGAm's Deja Vu was awesome.

G-Dog

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/28/12 7:25:24 PM
Geauga_Dog said:

More than likely it's because so many parks have the standard boomerang that it would be pointless to install an Invertigo

... and most larger parks already have an invert of some sort, also making an invertigo pointless in those parks.

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 2/28/12 10:30:51 PM
But it wouldn't be pointless. Invertigos are unique - a combo of shuttle and inverted coasters. Many coasters have similar rides.

SFGAm has Vertical Velocity right next to Batman.

SFMM has 2 7 inversion coasters.

SFoT has 2 shuttles.

Tons of parks have multiple woodies.

CP and CW have mega and giga coasters.

La Ronde has a B&M invert and a SLC.

KD had 3 launched coasters.

I don't think the GP notices or cares how similar rides are. And since this is what parks market to, I don't think they're overly concerned about having similar coasters in their park.

- Pat-O

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by alpengeistno3 at 2/29/12 1:15:18 AM
RobLec said:

... and most larger parks already have an invert of some sort, also making an invertigo pointless in those parks.

I think that is a coaster enthusiast's response as to why a park won't add a ride. There are tons of examples Pat-O laid out of parks adding multiple version of the same type of ride, including Dorney having 3 inverted style rides; two of them will be right beside each other. GP and thus park execs simply don't think as narrowly as we do.

The real fact is that a park will only add a ride they think they can market as "special" so they can get the buzz to increase the gate. Beyond being the 1st in an area, there isn't much buzz behind a 30 year old design that has been duplicated some 30-40 times with a different rider orientation as its only distinguishing characteristic.

Unfortunate, because they are better rides than the standard boomerang.

Paul

* This post was modified at 2/29/12 2:55:55 AM *

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/29/12 1:30:10 AM
Here's my take, almost every specific coaster type has it's run; The Vekoma Invertigos was in the late nineties (97, 98, and 99). Then came 2001 with the more impressive Giant Inverted Boomerangs, which kinda phased out (demand-wise) the Invertigos. I agree what Drachen said about it being pointless for a park to have both a sitdown boomerang, and an inverted boomerang. That's why no park has ever had such a weird 'head scratching' combination; Basically if you have one, you don't need the other.

IMO another reason Invertigos aren't popular is that they are kinda in that 'gray area' between a small park, and large one; It seems like they are too big for a really small park, and they are too small for a large park with it's lengthy que time that big parks like to avoid much as possible; A big park will sacrifice for a low capacity coaster if it's highly innovative (like SFMM's Green Lantern).

IMO the Invertigos ride experience is alright, basically a credit ride for me. Not something that I'll wait an extremely long time for esp with more impressive coasters around. The one at KI was pretty comfortable for me with virtually no head banging. It's very contrasting concerning the comfort level of the Deja Vus/Invertigos compared to the notorious SLC's, and even to some extent the SFC's.

* This post was modified at 2/29/12 5:04:44 AM *

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/29/12 2:32:24 AM
LoneStar said:

SFoT has 2 shuttles.

Most of these combos are very commonplace and completely understandable; Two 7 inversion coasters??? Remember, I live in the state of FL LOL. The SFOT shuttles, and SFGAm's Batman and Vertical Velocity are four COMPLETELY different coasters. Maggie and Millie are different styles of hyper (Arrow Hyper, and Intamin Giga).

IMO the only head scratchers that you've mentioned are in Canada; Maybe it's something up there in the wind, so yup, I'm blaming Canada for the weirdness. LOL

I know that many out there disagree, but IMO a park with two (non-racing non-dueling) B&M mega coasters, and another with a B&M invert & a SLC makes absolutely no sense. Yes, SFNE within the forceful Canadian Arctic winds is weird too with the Goliath Invert and that SLC.

* This post was modified at 2/29/12 2:46:01 AM *

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 2/29/12 5:45:29 PM
IMO another reason Invertigos aren't popular is that they are kinda in that 'gray area' between a small park, and large one; It seems like they are too big for a really small park, and they are too small for a large park with it's lengthy que time that big parks like to avoid much as possible; A big park will sacrifice for a low capacity coaster if it's highly innovative (like SFMM's Green Lantern).

But then how do you explain so many standard boomerangs at large parks?

SFoT
SFNE
WOF
CW
KNOTTS
Carowinds
Hershey

And then plenty of small parks have them

Dixie Land, Great Escape, the list goes on.

Boomerangs have a small footprint, reasonable price tag, and are "unique" to the GP. That's why they're so popular.

- Pat-O

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 2/29/12 5:48:26 PM
I know that many out there disagree, but IMO a park with two (non-racing non-dueling) B&M mega coasters, and another with a B&M invert & a SLC makes absolutely no sense. Yes, SFNE within the forceful Canadian Arctic winds is weird too with the Goliath Invert and that SLC.

I have to agree with LaRonde. An SLC and a B&M? Surely most visitors will figure out really quickly which one is better.

- Pat-O

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by alpengeistno3 at 2/29/12 8:23:10 PM
LoneStar said:

I have to agree with LaRonde. An SLC and a B&M? Surely most visitors will figure out really quickly which one is better.

- Pat-O

I agree...only because the B&M was there first. If SFA was to get a Batman style Beemer and still keep Mind Eraser, it would be considered a huge upgrade.

Paul

* This post was modified at 2/29/12 8:23:52 PM *

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by alpengeistno3 at 2/29/12 8:37:42 PM
LoneStar said:

But then how do you explain so many standard boomerangs at large parks?

SFoT
SFNE
WOF
CW
KNOTTS
Carowinds
Hershey

And then plenty of small parks have them

Dixie Land, Great Escape, the list goes on.

Boomerangs have a small footprint, reasonable price tag, and are "unique" to the GP. That's why they're so popular.

- Pat-O

You forgot that a several of those parks (Knotts, Hershey, SFNE, WOF, and arguably Carowinds and CW
were not large parks when they 1st got their Boomerangs. I'm not intimately familiar with the others, but Hershey only had 3 other coasters when Sidewinder was put in and it had the most inversions of any coaster in the park, at the time (heck, if you count the backwards part as 3 more inversions, it still does!) Hershey, at the time, was not going to get an Arrow 6 or 7 looper, so it was the perfect coaster for them at the time.

Also, the backwards aspect was a very important marketing selling point in the late 80's. Besides the Kings racers, there was no other coaster model that provided that experience. And to do it while barnstorming through inversions was even more unique.

Paul

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 3/1/12 8:44:37 AM
LoneStar said:

But it wouldn't be pointless. Invertigos are unique - a combo of shuttle and inverted coasters. Many coasters have similar rides.

SFoT has 2 shuttles.

I don't think the GP notices or cares how similar rides are. And since this is what parks market to, I don't think they're overly concerned about having similar coasters in their park.

- Pat-O

Dorney will have three inverted coasters starting this year with the installation of Stinger. They also have Talon and Possessed.

SFA's Two Face was scrapped after riders were stranded on the ride and subsequently sprayed in the face with some type of mechanical fluid.

DC's Fox local news station was over SFA with a helicopter during the fiasco which created a lot of bad press for the ride and the park.

After the ride was deconstructed, it sat in the park's staging area for about a year and a half. Sources such as Screamscape and RCDB published that the ride was sold to a park in Brazil and this never came to fruition. The coaster was scrapped prior to the 2009 season.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/1/12 9:46:16 AM
Great_Ump said:

DC's Fox local news station was over SFA with a helicopter during the fiasco which created a lot of bad press for the ride and the park.

Joe
Great_Ump

I can't say that I'm shocked that a coaster named 'Two Face' pulled a slick and deceptive 'two-faced' move like that. I'm sorry about that cheesy comment. ;)

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by drachen drachen Profile at 3/1/12 10:02:59 AM
Overbanked (fixed it) said:

Yes, SFNE within the forceful Canadian Arctic winds is weird too with the Goliath Invert and that SLC.

They have the odd Vekoma trifecta of a GIB, SLC, and boomerang right now. That certainly has never happened before, and I'm not sure how long it will last.

Canada's Wonderland's B&M situation does not bother me one bit. Yes, both rides are B&M, both are sans inversions. Both rides are out and back designs. But the similarities really stop there.

Behemoth is a hilly, air-filled out and back. Leviathan looks to be a speed demon, with over-banked turns and occasional pops of air.

Behemoth is their Magnum. Leviathan is their Millennium Force.

The funny thing is that I remember people having similar complaints when MF was announced. "Why would Cedar Point pay $25 million for a ride just like Magnum?" Well, we soon realized that MF was no Magnum. I'm sure the same will happen this spring when Leviathan opens.

Two huge B&M's in one park? We should all be so lucky.

* This post was modified at 3/1/12 12:02:53 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/1/12 10:53:28 AM
^^^Actually I said that 'Canadian Arctic winds' comment Drachen LOL. I guess that all of us are working out the lil' preliminary kinks with the new URC. :)
Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by rcpainters rcpainters Profile at 3/1/12 3:59:34 PM
I happen to love this coaster. The Invertigo at Kings Island is getting a fresh paint job at this very moment by Baynum Painting. Check out the link:

Painting KI's Invertigo

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/2/12 12:34:58 AM
Oh no!! More Teal!! Are they becoming Six Flags?

- Pat-O

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by leeregi at 3/2/12 7:12:34 AM
Don't forget that the old SFWOA had 3 Vekomas: A flyer, a boomerang, and a SLC.
Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/2/12 8:59:05 AM
LoneStar said:

Oh no!! More Teal!! Are they becoming Six Flags?

- Pat-O

I don't like the new color scheme either. The old one was much more unique.

Jen

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by squirrels at 3/6/12 2:47:00 PM
Honest answer to the question?

The regular boomerang is cheaper.

If you're buying a Vekoma Boomerang-style coaster, you're looking for something to take up some real-estate and provide "bang for the buck"...the cheap way to advertise a "brand new coaster" without breaking the bank. Kind of like the Shuttle Loop on RollerCoaster Tycoon...just something to bring in money for what you REALLY want to build.

Why spend the extra money on inverted seating?

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/6/12 3:58:06 PM
There's a lot of truth to that. Afterall, how many members of the GP know that dozens of identical boomerangs and SLCs exist? Or any other repeat model for that matter?

Heck, San Antonio has 2 B&M Batman coaster 20 miles from each other!

- Pat-O

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 3/6/12 4:34:28 PM
LoneStar said:

Afterall, how many members of the GP know that dozens of identical boomerangs and SLCs exist? Or any other repeat model for that matter?

- Pat-O

lol I bet there are even a bunch of people that don't even know there is more than one Six Flags.

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/6/12 10:01:24 PM

lol I bet there are even a bunch of people that don't even know there is more than one Six Flags.

WHAT??!! Great Adventure isn't the ONLY Six Flags park?! 8~)

Jen

Jen
Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 3/9/12 4:56:06 AM
GoYanks34 said:

WHAT??!! Great Adventure isn't the ONLY Six Flags park?! 8~)

Jen

There are actually two SF parks, one in the east and one in the west. All the other "SF" parks suffer while SFMM and SFGAdv get something brand spanking new every year.

But that's an topic for another thread, another time.

And figures that a comment like Jen's would come from a Yankee fan.

=P

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/9/12 7:24:03 AM

Love it! Go Rangers!

- Pat-O

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/9/12 1:24:18 PM
Great_Ump said:

=P

Joe
Great_Ump

Just when I thought we were getting along so well... 8-P

FWIW after they tore down my stadium a part of my heart and love for that team died that day. I'm no where near the die hard fan I was since all they care about is selling $2500 box seats that no ordinary fan can afford. But that's an entirely different topic....

Jen
Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/9/12 2:33:57 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Great_Ump said:

=P

Joe
Great_Ump

FWIW after they tore down my stadium a part of my heart and love for that team died that day. I'm no where near the die hard fan I was since all they care about is selling $2500 box seats that no ordinary fan can afford. But that's an entirely different topic....

Well, there IS an off-topic forum. kind of a deserted area though..you know, kinda like Citi Field late last season.

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 7/23/12 4:21:55 PM
Guys I thought you might like to know this. There soon will be four Vekoma Invertigo's running again, maybe even five actually. I e-mailed Vekoma regarding Two-Face: The Flip Side, Six Flags America's former Invertigo coaster. They told me Two-Face is being sent to a theme park in Italy, they said they can't tell me which theme park it is yet because they are waiting for the park themselves to be ready to announce it. It was not sold to Brazil like everyone thought. There will possibly soon be a fifth one operating at Six Flags St. Louis in Missouri. Guests at SFstL were surveyed for a possible new ride in 2013. The choices were either Zac- Spin,an Invertigo,and I forgot the last one. My guess is that the Invertigo will win. the guest will be more appealed to a roller coaster. It is great to hear that Two-Face wasn't scrapped though.
Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Tomes at 7/23/12 7:44:58 PM
I was just checking out this thread because I was interested in the topic of inverted boomerangs.. BUT then I discovered that La Ronde has a batman clone AND a Vekoma SLC.. REALLY?!?!?!!

All the other combinations - I understand. CW's 2 rides are just as different as Magnum and MF (even though they're both from B&M. Try them both and see if you think they're the same or even similar)

DeJa Vu and an SLC are NOT the same at all, Deja vu is taller, vertical lifts, backwards portion.. etc.

Batman and V2 are as different as can be as far as ride experiences go..

But Batman and SLC in the same park??!?!?! lol that's one funny fact that as a roller coaster enthusiest I have yet to realize. Don't people get them confused? Don't people think they're the same thing?

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/23/12 7:52:31 PM
Tomes said:

I was just checking out this thread because I was interested in the topic of inverted boomerangs.. BUT then I discovered that La Ronde has a batman clone AND a Vekoma SLC.. REALLY?!?!?!!

All the other combinations - I understand. CW's 2 rides are just as different as Magnum and MF (even though they're both from B&M. Try them both and see if you think they're the same or even similar)

DeJa Vu and an SLC are NOT the same at all, Deja vu is taller, vertical lifts, backwards portion.. etc.

Batman and V2 are as different as can be as far as ride experiences go..

But Batman and SLC in the same park??!?!?! lol that's one funny fact that as a roller coaster enthusiest I have yet to realize. Don't people get them confused? Don't people think they're the same thing?

Absolutely not. I like Batman TR and SLCs make me cry and take pain medication.

Jen

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/23/12 11:59:47 PM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

There will possibly soon be a fifth one operating at Six Flags St. Louis in Missouri.

I think you may be mistaken about the Six Flags St. Louis one.

The rumor is the park will receive the Boomerang from Six Flags Over Texas. I don't think Six Flags has another Invertigo to spare at the moment and I know for a fact they won't be buying one. They gave away the one from Six Flags America and there is no logic to buying another one when you had one sitting in storage for years.

I don't think anyone in the industry of sane mind would buy one of those coasters new at this point.

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/24/12 12:58:26 AM
*note: damn, how did I miss out on this conversation?
GoYanks34 said:

Lol, there's not a lot of love for us Yankees fans by anyone outside of NY :)

Don't worry, you are not alone in the feeling of your heart getting ripped out when the stadium was torn down. I still wished it could've been kept as a park-museum rather than to replace the original park land space the new stadium occupies.

beastmaster said:

Well, there IS an off-topic forum. kind of a deserted area though..you know, kinda like Citi Field late last season.

lol! Well played.

* This post was modified at 7/24/12 1:10:40 AM *

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/24/12 1:07:40 AM
Great_Ump said:

There are actually two SF parks, one in the east and one in the west. All the other "SF" parks suffer while SFMM and SFGAdv get something brand spanking new every year.

But that's an topic for another thread, another time.

=P

Joe
Great_Ump

Well that's not totally true. GAdv got DKrap (I still think they would've been better off retheming B:TR into DK, but not going to rehash that point), a re-theming of Medusa into Bizzaro, and a relocated Chang re-themed into GL (at the cost of losing GASM). So not really any major 'new' coasters since KK.
And I just hope the rumors of a wingrider replacing Bizzaro is not true. I would rather sacrifice B:TR and have the wingrider placed on that area of the park.

On the SFMM and SFGAdv point, that is seemingly true though. It does seem like they are the only ones that gets the main attention and new stuff. I wonder if SFGA getting that wing rider is a start of investing in the middle of the country? Much as I'd love to see the big parks get the big stuff, I do agree that the 'lesser parks' shouldn't be given the short end of the stick. The parks should get the tlc they deserve or SF should just put them up for sale and let someone else invest and expand the parks.

* This post was modified at 7/24/12 1:12:27 AM *

Re: Vekoma Invertigo question by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 7/24/12 10:14:11 PM
Great_Ump said:

LoneStar said:

SFoT has 2 shuttles.

- Pat-O

Dorney will have three inverted coasters starting this year with the installation of Stinger. They also have Talon and Possessed.

SFA's Two Face was scrapped after riders were stranded on the ride and subsequently sprayed in the face with some type of mechanical fluid.

After the ride was deconstructed, it sat in the park's staging area for about a year and a half. Sources such as Screamscape and RCDB published that the ride was sold to a park in Brazil and this never came to fruition. The coaster was scrapped prior to the 2009 season.

Joe
Great_Ump

You have a few wrong facts here. two-face was not scrapped. I e-mailed Vekoma in regards of Two-Face, the responded that Two-face is on it's way to a theme park in Italy. They told me they can't tell me the name of the park until they are ready to announce it. The other fact you got wrong was, even though Two-face's incident happened in 2007, the ride was still standing during the 2008 season,although it was not operating. In early 2009, Two-Face was dismantled during the off-season, and sat in the parks staging area for only about 4 months, it was already off park property when the 2009 season had started. It was seen in Brazil, although some rumored it was only there for some special rehab before the ride was being shipped to it's new park in Italy.