Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum

Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum

Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile

Posted:
2/22/12 at
9:55:41 PM

February 22, 2012

I'd like to invite you all to preview the new Ultimate Rollercoaster discussion forums.

While the layout and appearance of the forums hasn't significantly changed, the entire backend has. There are a few new features to be found, but this major upgrade is the stepping stone towards additional features and functionality that will be added in the very near future.

To preview the new forum use this URL:

www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks

I will retire this decade old version and launch the new discussion forums this coming Friday.

If you encounter any problems or have any feedback, please reply to this message or send me an email using the feedback form.

-Eric

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 2/23/12 1:46:02 PM
Eric, Will the old content still be searchable? I very much enjoy just looking up old trip reports, Sometimes if only to remember the year I took a certain trip. LOL

Chuck

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/23/12 3:02:08 PM
There is no change to the content. Did you look at the new forum and try the search?

What you see there is what you will have on Friday along with any new messages that are posted between now and then.

* This post was modified at 2/23/12 3:05:21 PM *

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 2/23/12 3:12:53 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

There is no change to the content. Did you look at the new forum and try the search?

What you see there is what you will have on Friday along with any new messages that are posted between now and then.

Ok Eric, Thanks! :)

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 2/24/12 1:19:24 AM
Any chance you can move the ad that appears in the middle of every first post in a thread to another spot?

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/24/12 11:25:50 AM
Joe, It can't be easily moved, unless you want it in a worse spot, but can you tell me why it should be moved or removed? In the past couple of months I've removed all intrusive advertising (pop-ups, pop-unders), so this little 468x60 banner is not much.
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/24/12 11:27:24 AM
February 24, 2012

The preview has ended and all forums have been converted.

-Eric

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/24/12 12:52:31 PM
Yep, small potatoes (mmmm...potatoes!) Hasn't bothered me.

Eric, question. Used to be the option asked if I wanted to be notified when someone replied to MY post. Now it says "...when someone replies to THIS THREAD." Does that mean that I'd be notified of ANY new post on the thread, or only a direct reply to MY post?

Mike

*EDIT*..I thought I hit the quote button. The "potatoes" comment is intended as my two cents on the ad issue.

* This post was modified at 2/24/12 12:55:56 PM *

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/24/12 1:28:59 PM
Mike, you will be notified if anyone replies to the thread, not specifically to you.
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 2/24/12 3:18:51 PM
Eric, I think the new search feature is much simpler to use. Easier on the eyes, too!
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/25/12 4:16:04 PM
The URC look is great. My only pet peeve is that all of the posts below the original post has that (IMO) pretty pointless thread topic reminder before the URCers screenname, everyone already knows what thread this is. Like this exact post would say.... "Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Overbanked" IMO it looks more clean by just placing the URCer screenname, date & time without the reminder. I get that someone can make an extremely rare mini subject change within the thread, but those are FAR and FEW between. The old URC use to have a feature to get out of that setup style. Oh well, I'll get used to it.

* This post was modified at 2/25/12 4:32:22 PM *

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/25/12 4:29:45 PM
The previous version of the forums had the subject line displayed above every post (twice for original message). It appears for two reasons:

1. Sometimes users change the subject line when replying.

2. I can't do away with it if I keep the expanded (threaded style) format since the user links to each individual message (original and replies) using the subject line links.

The way it is presented in the collapsed (bulletin board style) format is what is different. See this screenshot of the old version.

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/25/12 4:35:09 PM
Judy, I'm glad you noticed search is easier to use and I want to point out that all of the previous ways to search are contained in one form.

You can search using keywords in any combination of any, all or phrases. You can even add a username to further limit the search.

You can still search for posts by a specific user, by inserting their username and leaving the other keyword fields empty.

You can also just look at posts for a specific time period by leaving the keyword and author fields empty, but completing the posted in the past or posted between information.

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/25/12 4:39:21 PM
^^^Eric, you just had caught me before one of my usual multiple post editings (LOL); I was just talking about the rare subject change that you have mentioned. Do ANYONE use the expanded style format on URC? ;)
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/25/12 4:49:18 PM
Yes, some still use it.
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/25/12 5:19:16 PM
Overbanked said:
Do ANYONE use the expanded style format on URC? ;)

Yes, we "do". Why on earth would anyone use anything else?

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/25/12 5:48:41 PM
My bad, I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. :) Call me biased towards the collapsed style format. I guess that I gotta get all 'PC' and say that the expanded style 'has it's place' on URC with some URCers (like RobLec) that uses it, and that it's needed for the personal messages. :)
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/25/12 7:40:21 PM
Overbanked said:

... say that the expanded style 'has it's place' on URC ...

Good recovery! With the expanded format, I can see in an instant which threads are most active, who has responded to what, and whether the subject has taken a turn. Plus I can see which posts contain photos and skip them if I wish. The alternative appears to be an all-or-nothing format with just a list of titles and the number of replies. My time is valuable and I want to see what's happening without having to download everything that everyone has posted.

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by drachen drachen Profile at 2/25/12 8:02:27 PM
RobLec said:

Overbanked said:

Good recovery! With the expanded format, I can see in an instant which threads are most active, who has responded to what, and whether the subject has taken a turn. Plus I can see which posts contain photos and skip them if I wish. The alternative appears to be an all-or-nothing format with just a list of titles and the number of replies. My time is valuable and I want to see what's happening without having to download everything that everyone has posted.

I occasionally like to switch back to the Expanded thread, simply for old time's sake. It brings back memories of the good old days when that was the only format.

In fact, it took me a while to switch over to the Collapsed Thread format. But once I did, there was no real going back.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 2/25/12 9:08:42 PM
RobLec said:

Overbanked said:

I use the Expanded and thread date option. Works best for me.

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/25/12 11:43:19 PM
My question is when we reply to a long post and like to place our comments throughout it is there a way to differentiate the old post from ours and can we get it out of the "italic box"? That would be confusing to read.

Otherwise I like what I've seen so far!

Jen

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/26/12 2:20:17 AM
GoYanks34 said:

My question is when we reply to a long post and like to place our comments throughout it is there a way to differentiate the old post from ours and can we get it out of the "italic box"? That would be confusing to read.

That's a great question.

When you click on the Reply +Quote link it places the previous message between some BBCode like this:

[quote]Previous message content here[/quote]

It also indicates who wrote the content by adding [poster]Username said:[/poster] just after the opening [quote].

You can break apart the quoted material like I did in this message by typing [/quote], then typing your response and then resuming the quoted material by typing another [quote] when the quoted content begins again. You can also add additional [poster] codes if you want to credit more than one user or repeat it.

GoYanks34 said:

I'm glad you like it so far.

* This post was modified at 2/26/12 2:32:33 AM *

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/26/12 10:02:15 AM
That's a great question.

When you click on the Reply +Quote link it places the previous message between some BBCode like this:

It also indicates who wrote the content by adding [poster]Username said:[/poster] just after the opening [quote].

You can break apart the quoted material like I did in this message by typing [/quote], then typing your response and then resuming the quoted material by typing another [quote] when the quoted content begins again. You can also add additional [poster] codes if you want to credit more than one user or repeat it.

Awesome!

Jen

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by alpengeistno3 at 2/26/12 10:59:56 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

GoYanks34 said:

That's a great question.

GoYanks34 said:

I'm glad you like it so far.

alpengeistno3 said:

I have no freakin' idea what you just said!!
(but I'm trying it now to see if it works :)

Paul

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/26/12 11:11:08 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

I have no freakin' idea what you just said!!
(but I'm trying it now to see if it works :)

Paul

All you have to do is put (bracket then a backslash then type "quote" then another bracket) after the poster's comment where you want to write a response. When you are finished just add (bracket, type "quote" then bracket) at the start the original poster's next line to get it back into the quote box.

Make sense?

Jen

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/26/12 11:15:35 AM
GoYanks34 said:

Make sense?

So I assume it turned out to be easier than you expected.

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/26/12 11:22:57 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

GoYanks34 said:

Make sense?

So I assume it turned out to be easier than you expected.

Yep!

Jen

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by alpengeistno3 at 2/26/12 6:06:04 PM
No, but I'll keep this stickied in case I ever need it.

To paraphase Star Trek, "Dammit, Jen!! I'm a band director, not a computer programmer!!

Paul

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/26/12 6:34:34 PM
To paraphase Star Trek, "Dammit, Jen!! I'm a band director, not a computer programmer!!

Paul

LOL!

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/26/12 7:42:06 PM
beastmaster said:

Paul

LOL!

What did you do? Why isn't Paul's post in a box? You computer illiterate people are going to kill me! UGH! :-P

Jen

Re: Eric by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 3/3/12 9:54:23 PM
The Expanded options by thread date or by active topic isn't working. For some reason this thread is stuck on top, no matter what option I choose.
Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Eric by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/3/12 11:21:27 PM
No, it is working fine. This topic has been designated by myself as "pinned" or "sticky", so it remains at the top of the forums index.

There is a different icon that appears to the left of the subject to indicate this when there are no new messages.

* This post was modified at 3/3/12 11:23:23 PM *

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 3/4/12 6:25:50 PM
How do I edit a signature for myself?

I have looked high and low but can't find the option for it! I see drachen has one so I know the option is somewhere!

- mugen828

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/4/12 6:32:36 PM
mugen828 said:

I have looked high and low but can't find the option for it! I see drachen has one so I know the option is somewhere!

- mugen828

I was looking for the same thing. Not anywhere in my profile that I can find.

Jen

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/4/12 6:40:22 PM
GoYanks34 said:

mugen828 said:

- mugen828

I was looking for the same thing. Not anywhere in my profile that I can find.

Jen

From the main board, click on "prefs" (next to options) I'm about to see if it works.

*EDIT* Looks like it did.

Mike

* This post was modified at 3/4/12 6:45:03 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/4/12 6:56:59 PM
From the main board, click on "prefs" (next to options) I'm about to see if it works.

Mike

OMG! Did Mike just give US computer advice?! I think this may be one of the signs of the apocalypse! 8-)

Jen
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/4/12 7:28:56 PM

OMG! Did Mike just give US computer advice?! I think this may be one of the signs of the apocalypse! 8-)

Nah, that's a "new" coaster at SFAm. Besides, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/4/12 11:13:17 PM
Sorry, I haven't given details on all of the new features since more are being unveiled or worked on.

At this time "Signature" is part of the user preference feature and is accessed from the Message index page. The button says "Prefs".

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 3/5/12 11:46:57 AM
thanks guys! got it!
- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/5/12 11:54:49 AM
Your signature can only be three lines, so part of your signature is presently hidden.
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/5/12 12:28:03 PM
beastmaster:

Mike

I object!
Mike ain't the only Mike in here.
Mike thinks Mike should perform further editing on his sig.
;-)

Mike B.
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/5/12 12:46:10 PM
MABrider said:

I object!
Mike ain't the only Mike in here.
Mike thinks Mike should perform further editing on his sig.
;-)

Once I determine my new sig..and I'm running through a bunch of movie and rock lyric quotes...I shall be henceforth known as Mike G.

Mike (for now)

*EDIT* I have no idea why my reply to Mike B showed up in the format of a signature. I currently have no signature set.

* This post was modified at 3/5/12 12:48:45 PM *

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/5/12 12:58:02 PM
What do you mean it showed up in the format of a signature. I don't see that. Signatures are at the end of posts.
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/5/12 1:11:58 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

What do you mean it showed up in the format of a signature. I don't see that. Signatures are at the end of posts.

I mean the actual text. The print is smaller and a different font than I normally see on here. Your reply above looks similar. Now this looks okay as I preview.

Actually, I guess not.

Mike

* This post was modified at 3/5/12 1:13:22 PM *

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/5/12 1:29:58 PM
It's because when you deleted part of the quoted text out, you deleted the [/poster] tag after MABrider said: You can edit the post to fix that and replace that missing tag.

You have to be careful when deleting quoted material. Also, there is no point in using the Reply + Quote if your reply is next or not addressing a specific point the previous user made.

-Eric

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 3/6/12 11:13:57 PM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

Paul

LOL!

What did you do? Why isn't Paul's post in a box? You computer illiterate people are going to kill me! UGH! :-P

Jen

I haven't been around much, but I'm used to this kind of quoting format. I'll just use this post as a test to make sure I got it right.

edit: yup. I like this much better than the old style of quoting.
I've yet to use the search feature, so I can't say much about that yet.

* This post was modified at 3/6/12 11:15:22 PM *

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/10/12 8:23:41 PM
I've noticed that URC's thread font has changed from an easy to read, nice-sized simple font to the sorta slanty small, eye squenching one that you see on this post. I'm not gonna even lie and say that I'm a fan of this particular new change. No offense, but I'll be very surprised if anyone likes the new font over the old one, just keepin' it real.

* This post was modified at 3/10/12 8:35:27 PM *

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/10/12 9:42:47 PM
Overbanked said:

I've noticed that URC's thread font has changed from an easy to read, nice-sized simple font to the sorta slanty small, eye squenching one that you see on this post. I'm not gonna even lie and say that I'm a fan of this particular new change. No offense, but I'll be very surprised if anyone likes the new font over the old one, just keepin' it real.

Yeah, that's what I mentioned above. Eric indicated it had to do with my removing part of a quote, but I've seen it on other threads besides this one, and other posts besides mine. I've also made and seen posts where the font was as it always was. I don't like or dislike it..my eyes are bad anyway!

Mike

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 3/10/12 9:50:25 PM
I've noticed no change in font. The only font change I can see is what appears in quoted material.

This looks different:

Blah. Blah. Blah

But this does not:

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Perhaps there is a glitch for some people, and maybe it has something to do with which forum version is being used... Idk.

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/11/12 12:21:21 AM
There has been no change to the typeface, size or style for regular posts. The only change is for quoted material, the stuff that appears within the box with the gray background. That typeface is the same size, but italic. Is that what you're talking about?

If not, then please mention what browser type and version you're using and the operating system, so I can investigate.

Mike, on the one post you left the closing poster tag out and that made the typeface smaller. The line telling what poster posted it in the quoted material is smaller.

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/11/12 12:45:45 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

The only change is for quoted material, the stuff that appears within the box with the gray background. That typeface is the same size, but italic. Is that what you're talking about?

Starting on sometime in earlier this month (I'm not sure what date maybe about two days ago) Every URC comment on my screen is italicized in a smaller font, all comments and quotes; Before then, just the quotes within the gray boxes were italicized (normal size).

Eric_Gieszl said:

If not, then please mention what browser type and version you're using and the operating system, so I can investigate.

I must admit, my operating system and browser is pretty old; Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Vista. It's pretty weird though, I saw the initial new URC changes and everything was straight, then a coupla days ago, all of the thread material got italicized, and the words looks atleast one font size smaller. Maybe it has something to do with the old programs I'm running I dunno.

* This post was modified at 3/11/12 12:57:44 PM *

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/11/12 1:37:23 PM
Have you tried viewing on Firefox? I'd try that and see if it's correct. Then you'll know if it's your browser or not.
Jen
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/12/12 12:28:57 AM
Is all the thread material messed up in every topic or just this one? If just this one, does it happen after a specific post or with the first post?
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/12/12 6:35:09 AM
On this thread, I'm seeing that everything from MABrider's post on up is normal, and everything else below it (latter posts) are in small italic. Similar older active threads have that same split style with the older posts being normal, and the latest ones being in small italic. I'll try to update my computer much as I can, I just glad that this is probably just an update glitch of some sort, and not how it's supposed to be.
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/12/12 7:53:38 AM
Overbanked said:

On this thread, I'm seeing that everything from MABrider's post on up is normal, and everything else below it (latter posts) are in small italic. Similar older active threads have that same split style with the older posts being normal, and the latest ones being in small italic. I'll try to update my computer much as I can, I just glad that this is probably just an update glitch of some sort, and not how it's supposed to be.

What he wrote!
This thread is appearing exactly the same as Overbanked wrote, for me now on this PC (Windows XP); the post of mine he referenced is date stamped 3/5 at 9:28:03 AM, and that post and all above look normal; everything since is small italic, not just quoted replies.

However, I note that hitting "Preview Message" button on THIS reply returns things looking normal.
Will hitting "Post Message" post it for all to see looking normal?
Stay tuned...hitting "Post Message" now...

Mike B.
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/12/12 7:54:08 AM
GoYanks34 said:

Have you tried viewing on Firefox? I'd try that and see if it's correct. Then you'll know if it's your browser or not.

Thanks Jen. I viewed it through Firefox, and it looks normal; I tried to set Firefox as my default, but I'm having problems (I throughly went through Help & Support, but couldn't make the browser connection, so I'll just go ahead on and reprogram everything. Thanks yall, sorry about all of the confusion.

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/12/12 8:03:26 AM
^
Wow.
"Post Message" did not post normally.
All is still lower case, italics.

Again, the "Preview Message" had looked A-OK.
And looks good on this one, too!
But "Post Message" returns as noted above.

I wouldn't think the browser used makes a difference (never did in the past).
This PC is IE 8; at home I use Google Chrome on my Macbook and iMac, but I can't say how this particular issue appears on my them.
But I will know in about ten hours...

Mike B.
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/12/12 8:04:37 AM
Overbanked said:

GoYanks34 said:

Thanks Jen. I viewed it through Firefox, and it looks normal; I tried to set Firefox as my default, but I'm having problems (I throughly went through Help & Support, but couldn't make the browser connection, so I'll just go ahead on and reprogram everything. Thanks yall, sorry about all of the confusion.

I don't think it is "you" per se.
See my two prior posts.

Edit: Maybe it is just this one thread?

* This post was modified at 3/12/12 8:05:14 AM *

Mike B.
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/12/12 9:55:16 AM
Is it fixed now?
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/12/12 10:08:27 AM
Just like the old days...

Everything looks good, Eric. I'm at work, and I'm pretty confident it'll the same on my home PC later.

Mike

* This post was modified at 3/12/12 10:23:35 AM *

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/12/12 5:29:49 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Is it fixed now?

Yeah I'm straight now Eric, thanks. Sorry about the misunderstanding; Turns out that Comcast (my internet service) recently went to a new sercurity system (Constant Gaurd) that I didn't know about; By me not updating to it, that's what more than likely caused the problems.

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/12/12 6:31:06 PM
Overbanked said:

Eric_Gieszl said:

Is it fixed now?

Yeah I'm straight now Eric, thanks. Sorry about the misunderstanding; Turns out that Comcast (my internet service) recently went to a new sercurity system (Constant Gaurd) that I didn't know about; By me not updating to it, that's what more than likely caused the problems.

Maybe Comcast was to blame for other problems, but this italicized business was probably something different.

Something that Eric was able to find and fix.

At least it is fixed for me now at home on my Macs.
I never tried at work after my early morning posts above, but others have responded re Windows PCs being good, so I figure mine at work will also be OK. Will find out in the AM.

Mike B.
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/12/12 7:19:40 PM
The problem has nothing to do with Comcast, any Internet provider or browser. The problem is exactly what I said before. In reply #219992 the poster deleted the very important #91;/poster] tag in their quoted text. If you do that it will screw up all replies after that in certain browsers. That closing poster tag tells the browser to stop displaying the text after that in the small italic style. If you omit it then everything there after will small italics. Firefox will fix the error, Internet Explorer will not.

-Eric

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/12/12 9:27:27 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

The problem has nothing to do with Comcast, any Internet provider or browser. The problem is exactly what I said before. In reply #219992 the poster deleted the very important #91;/poster] tag in their quoted text. If you do that it will screw up all replies after that in certain browsers. That closing poster tag tells the browser to stop displaying the text after that in the small italic style. If you omit it then everything there after will small italics. Firefox will fix the error, Internet Explorer will not.

-Eric

I may have screwed up that post on this thread, but I..like others mentioned..saw that small, slanted typeface on other topic threads..it wasn't just this one. But mea culpa..mea maxima culpa.

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/13/12 12:07:34 AM
Mike, Don't take that the wrong way. It's no big deal. However, if you have seen it on other threads then please let me know which ones so I can investigate. I really want to fix any issues if they exist. It won't be the first, nor last time that someone will delete the tags. My point isn't to single you out, but just to explain to others how it happened.

-Eric

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/13/12 6:49:39 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Mike, Don't take that the wrong way. It's no big deal. However, if you have seen it on other threads then please let me know which ones so I can investigate. I really want to fix any issues if they exist. It won't be the first, nor last time that someone will delete the tags. My point isn't to single you out, but just to explain to others how it happened.

-Eric

As Chris and Mike B mentioned above, the smaller typw was showing up elsewhere, too. It looks fine now, here and elsewhere, so Thanks, Eric.

Mike G

Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/6/13 11:35:50 PM
I noticed recently that the URC members screennames aren't highlighted, and underlined like they normally are (used to access member info). It's kinda weird, because in the older posts the screennames are highlighted.
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/8/13 3:44:51 PM
Overbanked said:

I noticed recently that the URC members screennames aren't highlighted, and underlined like they normally are (used to access member info). It's kinda weird, because in the older posts the screennames are highlighted.

That's correct. The usernames used to be hyperlinked to their profile page. They still will be linked in the future, but only if the user has an active profile page.

Most of those links ended with a 404 error - page not found.

Half of this change has been implemented, but I still have some further work to do so it works correctly. It's on my to-do list for the following week.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Invite To Preview New Discussion Forum by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/9/13 12:35:41 AM
^^^Thanks Eric.