Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion

Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
2/22/12 at
3:24:08 PM

The family fun center 'Fun Spot Action Park' in Florida is planning big things in 2013; The expansion still hafta get the city's approval on Feb 27, 2012, but it's expected to pass. They are planning to add two coasters; A junior GCI woodie, and a Vekoma SFC (Suspended Family Coaster) a model that's a lil' bit larger than the 'Flying Ace Aerial Chases' FKA Rugrats. They are also planning for a 250 ft arch-style Skycoaster. There are some rumors about a phase-two of the expansion that will include a waterpark, and a Windseeker. I have alotta questions concerning this 'IMO questionable' expansion.

1. I've ridden a very scary 300ft tall Kissimmee Skycoaster right there on the grounds, far as I know it's still there; Why in the hell do they need a smaller 250ft Skycoaster for?

2. Parkrumors.com has some pics of the proposed new woodie; It looks good, but I can't help but think that year around woodies in Florida are a pain in the butt to maintain, ask BGT. Fun Spot's owner said that the new woodie will be the 'only one in Central Florida'; I guess that he isn't familiar with BGT, and Legoland Florida.

3. IMO the Vekoma SFC seems like over-saturation with one already in Central FL (Flight School at Legoland FL) not to mention the others scattered throughout the Southeast.

4. If the Windseeker rumor is true, I don't get that choice of flat esp. with the nearby Star Flyer at Magical Midway.

Just my two; I'm very perplexed with almost all of these choices of rides, it will be interesting to see how everything plays out. Here's a video below talking about the expansion, along with other Fun Spot related links.

www.myorlando.com/dpp/money/013112-fun-spot-orlando-attraction-expanding

www.rcdb.com/10346.htm

http://parkrumors.com/fun-spot-expansion/

www.funspot.tutengraphics.com

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/22/12 5:47:19 PM
... woodies in Florida are a pain in the butt to maintain, ask BGT.
Fun Spot's owner said that the new woodie will be the 'only one in Central Florida'; I guess that he isn't familiar with BGT, and Legoland Florida.

Orlandoans don't consider Tampa or Lakeland to be "central Florida",
but I hear ya about rear round woodies.

* This post was modified at 2/22/12 5:50:08 PM *

Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by drachen drachen Profile at 2/22/12 6:40:35 PM
Overbanked said:

2. Parkrumors.com has some pics of the proposed new woodie; It looks good, but I can't help but think that year around woodies in Florida are a pain in the butt to maintain, ask BGT.

I loved Gravity Group's smaller Wooden Warrior. And I saw that GCI has that new cookie cutter smaller coaster. Now this ride is happening.

I like that there seems to be a little push for smaller wooden roller coasters right now. They are smaller designs but have full-sized trains. I think there is a real market for that type of ride.

Many parks that already have two or three wooden coasters can get a totally different ride experience with one of these smaller rides. They are easy on cost and maintenance, but big on fun. Added benefit is that adults and children can all ride it comfortably.

All told, this type of ride bodes well for the future of the wooden roller coaster.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/22/12 6:43:37 PM

Good point Rob. I guess that mostly everyone outside of Orlando (even me in Jacksonville LOL) consider Central Florida to generally be a giant circle that's roughly eveything between Ocala and Tampa/St Pete. I even hear nationally televised Bucs games that refer to Tampa as 'Central Florida'. This state has a crisis with directions, esp with the University of South Florida being in Tampa. LOL

Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/22/12 7:40:57 PM

[ rear round woodies.

I'm sorry. This typo REALLY made me smile. Thanks, Rob. You're good people.

Mike

Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/22/12 7:47:44 PM
> I loved Gravity Group's smaller Wooden Warrior.
> And I saw that GCI has that new cookie cutter smaller
> coaster. Now this ride is happening. I like that there
> seems to be a little push for smaller wooden roller
> coasters right now. They are smaller designs but have
> full-sized trains. I think there is a real market for that
> type of ride. Many parks that already have two or three
> wooden coasters can get a totally different ride experience
> with one of these smaller rides. They are easy on cost and
> maintenance, but big on fun. Added benefit is that adults
> and children can all ride it comfortably. All told, this
> type of ride bodes well for the future of the wooden roller
> coaster.

IMO out of all of the Fun Spot expansion moves, the lil' GCI woodie is the best one, although I'll be lying if I said that I'm totally in love with it, esp leaving coasters like Starliner, and Dania Beach Hurricane out to dry. Starliner(a similar coaster height-wise) probably would've been a cheaper option than building a brand spanking new woodie.
I'm completely flabbergasted(I love that word LOL) with all of those other decisions. The very specialized Vekoma SFC's are usually in parks with alotta coasters, and I still don't understand the whole 'new 250ft Skycoaster' thing; Even if Fun Spot doesn't own that 300ft Kissimmee Skycoaster, it makes ZERO sense to add another Skycoaster nearby. Can you imagine if Fun Spot could've got Starliner, and added an Eurofighter similiar to what Galveston Historic Pier is doing?
I always thought of Fun Spot as a psuedo-extreme place that beats to a different drum; An enclave in the middle of 'Kiddymania' with Walt Disney World and all. Well, I guess that's not the case anymore with the very safe new additions but yet, we at FS loves ourselves some TALL Skycoasters!!! That 'surely' makes alotta sense.

* This post was modified at 2/25/12 5:11:54 PM *

Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/22/12 9:58:55 PM
Overbanked said:

Why in the hell do they need a smaller 250ft Skycoaster for?

Skycoasters make money regardless of size, so they're a desirable attraction. It doesn't take a lot of flyers to reach capacity on a Skycoaster.

Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/24/12 11:12:51 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Skycoasters make money regardless of size, so they're a desirable attraction. It doesn't take a lot of flyers to reach capacity on a Skycoaster.

True, but in the grand scheme of things with the GP, there are only a relatively few people that want to get on a very specialized very high thrill, pricy upcharge attraction. When I was there to ride the Kissimmee Skycoaster the park was pretty crowded, and the reservated wait time was decent. Given the choice, most people obviously would rather ride the taller Skycoaster, not saying that the 250ft one will be empty, but I'll be shocked if it outdraws the 300ft one. To borrow from the other thread, in speaking of a 'Weird Park' Fun Spot will be the only place that I know with two skycoasters, IMO it's overkill; Not even enormous parks like SFGAvd have ever witnessed that.

Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by coastinj coastinj Profile at 2/24/12 11:39:49 AM
Fun Spot will not have 2 sky coasters. The location with the Kissimmee 300ft model is at Old Town on hwy 192, and yes there's Fun Sot USA at that location. But there is not much room to grow there. The location getting this package is on I Drive near Festival Bay. So the star flyer doesn't make too much sense when Magical Midway is down the road but then again it does. MM last time I was there was run down and the staff lack luster, their best attribute was the star flyer, and even that wasn't to great (staff). So if Fun Spot builds their own, plus the woodie that'll be a nail in MM coffin.
Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/24/12 11:45:58 AM
Fun Spot owns and operates the 300-foot Skycoaster in Kissimmee, not Old Town, so Fun Spot will own two Skycoasters in Orlando if they build the second.

I hope this 250-foot setup is the one from MGM Grand Adventures in Las Vegas. That one was by far the best Skycoaster I have ever ridden. Even better than the 300-footer.

* This post was modified at 2/24/12 11:47:37 AM *

Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/24/12 11:55:02 AM
Overbanked said:

True, but in the grand scheme of things with the GP, there are only a relatively few people that want to get on a very specialized very high thrill, pricy upcharge attraction. When I was there to ride the Kissimmee Skycoaster the park was pretty crowded, and the reservated wait time was decent. Given the choice, most people obviously would rather ride the taller Skycoaster, not saying that the 250ft one will be empty, but I'll be shocked if it outdraws the 300ft one.

Most Orlando visitors are not that educated on Skycoasters statistics. They will also be located at opposite ends of the town as well.

Most Skycoaster riders make an impulsive, on-the-spot decision to ride them. For most it's not planned in advance. In fact, that's not opinion, it's proven fact. If and when a Skycoaster site is slow they will often fly the operators to draw attention to the attraction. When someone sees someone else fly they say "Wow, I want to do that." and people lineup to fly. It attracts attention.

Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/24/12 12:23:01 PM
coastinj said:

Fun Spot will not have 2 sky coasters. The location with the Kissimmee 300ft model is at Old Town on hwy 192, and yes there's Fun Sot USA at that location.

Technically neither Fun Spot OR Old Town owns the Kissimmee Skycoaster, it's an indendepent vendor. Although they are different parks, Fun Spot & Old Town basically seem like one park with no barriers. On Fun Spot's website, they even did a their commercial right in front of the Skycoaster. I kinda think of FunSpot/Old Town as Coney Island which consists of Cyclone at what was known as Astroland, Denos, 12th Street Amusements, Luna Park, and the new Scream Zone; They are all an adjoining park cluster. Here's the links to Fun Spot's and Old Town's 'thrill attractions' (if you wanna call them that) below.

http://myoldtownusa.com/ride/

www.funspot.tutengraphics.com/tblib.php?lib=Attractions/ThrillRides

* This post was modified at 2/25/12 5:18:14 PM *

Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/24/12 1:09:12 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

I hope this 250-foot setup is the one from MGM Grand Adventures in Las Vegas. That one was by far the best Skycoaster I have ever ridden. Even better than the 300-footer.

What was it that you liked about the MGM Skycoaster over the one in Kissimmee?

Is this the record the most longest unanswered moderator-related question ever? A couple of more days, it would be one whole year LOL.

* This post was modified at 2/13/13 5:45:53 PM *

Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by robomont at 2/11/13 5:00:47 AM
the skycoaster being built in orlando250ft.
this one was the one in las vegas.its c.urrently being beefed up for hurricanes by having most of the cross braces doubled.

my brother and friends are doing the work.they specialize in building and maintaining the most difficult towers in america.when all else fails,go to TMS.i helped them build the west palm landmark tower.the only f5 rated tower in the world.

Re: Fun Spot Action Park (Orlando) expansion by Coaster316 at 2/13/13 8:35:54 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Most Skycoaster riders make an impulsive, on-the-spot decision to ride them. For most it's not planned in advance. In fact, that's not opinion, it's proven fact. If and when a Skycoaster site is slow they will often fly the operators to draw attention to the attraction. When someone sees someone else fly they say "Wow, I want to do that." and people lineup to fly. It attracts attention.

My father and I did the Kissimmee Skycoaster about 13 years ago. It was early in the day and Old Town was pretty much empty. When we finished, the operators of Skycoaster asked if we'd mind doing it again because people had gathered to watch. We agreed to with no hesitation. Glad to help them. :)

- Jeff