Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Wooden Coaster Percentage

Wooden Coaster Percentage

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
2/21/12 at
4:57:06 PM

I was reading through another board recently, and I've noticed that a lot of them have forum signatures that list the number of coasters they've ridden; wood, steel, and total. They wear it like a badge of honor.

I started to notice a trend. Their wood and steel numbers were out of whack. One guy's list reads "94 Wood, 358 Steel, 4 liquid, 456 Total". Another's reads "85 Wood, 277 Steel, 362 Total". That is so different than mine.

The simple explanation is that guys like these two are of the "Credit Whore" variety, that simply want to inflate their number because it looks cool (why else do they flaunt it?). "The more coasters I've ridden, the more it looks like I know what I'm talking about..."

Their steel lists probably consist of over a hundred steel kiddie coasters and FEC coasters, which I don't/won't ride.

Back in 2002, I started a thread on "Coaster to Park Ratio" (link below). I was reading through that too, and did a little math to get a number that perhaps is a bit more indicative of what kind of fan I am.

According to RCDB.com, there are 2797 operating roller coasters in the world, 172 of which are wooden roller coasters. That makes for 6.1% of all the world's operating roller coasters being wooden, a ratio of 16.26 to 1.

In North America, there are 748 operating roller coasters, 122 of which are wooden, or 16.3%, a ratio of 6.13 to 1.

Now, throwing away the variables (defunct and SBNO coasters), where does everyone come in?

71 of my 250 roller coasters have been wooden, for 28.4%. That would be a ratio of 2.52.

This number says a few things about me. When I travel, I seek out parks with wooden roller coasters. In fact, if a park does not have a wooden coaster, I'm not really interested in going, with the exception being Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

Additionally, that number means that I've passed up on some steel coasters in my travels. I don't ride steel kiddie rides, steel family rides, and I've passed on some boomerangs and SLC's along the way too.

I'm interested in riding as many roller coasters I can... I'm just not interested in inflating my count.

I'm curious to see what other wooden coaster percentages/ratios are out there.

Coaster to Park Ratio - URC

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 2/21/12 5:14:38 PM

I've ridden 80 of the 122 USA Woodies, Only credits I care to count. Oh, One of the was looping. LOL

Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by drachen drachen Profile at 2/21/12 6:07:30 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

I've ridden 80 of the 122 USA Woodies, Only credits I care to count. Oh, One of the was looping. LOL

You and I are in similar boats, Chuck. While I love a good steel coaster, my preference is wooden.

I'll never ride every steel coaster, I realize that. My goal is to ride every single wooden coaster in North America. I'm over half way there, but there's a lot of traveling to do. I think it's a very realistic goal.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 2/21/12 6:50:40 PM

>The simple explanation is that guys like these
> two are of the "Credit Whore" variety, that
> simply want to inflate their number because it looks cool
> (why else do they flaunt it?).

First off, I admit that I am one of these Credit Whores. I will get on every coaser in a park just to say I've ridden them all, and I keep track. However, I just counted and realized that in my adult life that I can remember I've only been on about a dozen kiddie coasters, so I don't really seek them out just to pad numbers. But I do ride everything and I like keeping stats...I'm a numbers guy and its fun to hit milestones.

Now Drachen, were these guys putting these numbers on their signatures or did you just notice them on their profiles? Putting coaster counts in a signature is pretty phony (thank-you Holden).

But anyways, despite my credit whoredom, I have ridden 178 coasters, 42 of which are wood. That is 23.6%, a steel-wood ratio of 3.23. Am I really half way to riding all the woodies in America?!?

So despite being a credit whore (who has enjoyed my fair share of kiddie rides), I still like my ratio. My philosophy is, if there's a coaster near - get on it!

- Pat-O

Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/21/12 7:30:11 PM

>> Putting coaster counts in a signature is pretty phony
> (thank-you Holden).

One number I'm really interested in is how many on URC..and we've got a lot of well-read folks here.."caught" that reference.

Mike

Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/21/12 7:35:01 PM

And to respond to the post: What I refer to as my "unofficial" count is 295, and 75 are wood. So my wood pct. is slightly north of 25%.

Mike

Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by drachen drachen Profile at 2/21/12 8:54:05 PM
LoneStar said:

Now Drachen, were these guys putting these numbers on their signatures or did you just notice them on their profiles? Putting coaster counts in a signature is pretty phony (thank-you Holden).

So despite being a credit whore (who has enjoyed my fair share of kiddie rides), I still like my ratio. My philosophy is, if there's a coaster near - get on it!

These counts were part of a signature.

Hey, like I've said before, if you find riding kiddie coasters enjoyable, have at it, and there's nothing wrong with that. I get nothing out of them, unless my little girls are sitting next to me.

But, if someone rides them just to inflate their "expertise" number, then that's a little lame.

And no, you're not quite half way there on the U.S. wooden coaster front... sorry. 42/122 is only 50% when grading with a curve... But riding them all is a very attainable goal.

* This post was modified at 2/24/12 9:35:33 AM *

drachen
Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/21/12 9:55:20 PM
beastmaster said:

>> thank-you Holden).
One number I'm really interested in is how many on URC..and we've got a lot of well-read folks here.."caught" that reference.

Way over my head, Mike.

Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 2/21/12 10:27:11 PM

beastmaster said:

thank-you Holden).
> One number I'm really interested in is how many on URC..and
> we've got a lot of well-read folks here.."caught"
> that reference.
>
Way over my head, Mike.

But Rob, I thought you were a big fan of Playland in "Rye", NY?

- Pat-O

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/21/12 10:44:19 PM
That's one book I never actually read.

To be honest, one of many I never read.

Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 2/22/12 7:38:05 AM

I highly recommend it. It's fun, easy read, not long, around 300 pages I think. I wrote a big paper about it my junior year of high school.

- Pat-O

Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/22/12 7:47:49 AM

Putting coaster counts in a signature is pretty phony
> (thank-you Holden).

> that reference.

> Mike

Lol, well played. It took the "Rye" comment for me to get the reference. I haven't read that book in years.

As for my list of coasters I rode, I haven't kept count, but I do agree about not including kiddie coasters in the list or riding them now to inflate the number. I am fairly happy with the coasters that I have been on like Nitro, I-305, etc. Quality over quantity.

My wooden coaster count will be fairly low as I've only been to the east coast parks.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 2/22/12 9:12:49 AM

>

beastmaster said:

> thank-you Holden).
> that reference.
>
Way over my head, Mike.

> But Rob, I thought you were a big fan of Playland in
> "Rye", NY?

> - Pat-O
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

I loved Playland *Rye*

Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by MABrider MABrider Profile at 2/22/12 1:10:20 PM
drachen said:

When I travel, I seek out parks with wooden roller coasters. In fact, if a park does not have a wooden coaster, I'm not really interested in going, with the exception being Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

Maybe add "and Tampa"...?

I know it has a wooden coaster, but...

:-)

Mike B.
Re: Wooden Coaster Percentage by drachen drachen Profile at 2/22/12 2:27:03 PM
MABrider said:

drachen said:

When I travel, I seek out parks with wooden roller coasters. In fact, if a park does not have a wooden coaster, I'm not really interested in going, with the exception being Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

Maybe add "and Tampa"...?

I know it has a wooden coaster, but...

:-)

I thought of that. Truth is, when I went to Busch Tampa in 2005, Gwazi was down. When I make it down there again, Gwazi will be the primary reason, despite how it's running now.

I realize that out of the 6 major coasters there, Gwazi may be the "least good". And I realize that most people returning to BGT probably aren't even bothering with Gwazi.

But, having ridden all of their steel coasters, with the exception of Cheetah Hunt, (and I loved Montu, Sheikra, and especially Kumba) I really want to give the Gwazis a spin.

drachen

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.