Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > FL coasters: my take on three

FL coasters: my take on three

MABrider MABrider Profile

Posted:
2/15/12 at
7:31:10 PM

I spent last week in Orlando and in that time I traveled twice to BGT, with
Universal/IoA, Sea World and WDW also providing entertainment.

Thought I would share my feelings about three coasters in total from that trip.

-----------------------------------------------------
Two coasters at BGT: Gwazi and Cheetah Hunt.

Gwazi Tiger is running; Lion side is being worked on.
I had forgotten about the MF trains which was a pleasant surprise.
Alas, Tiger train did not roll smooth over the course, not at all.
No potholes (better not be!) or bone crushing jolts of any kind, the damn thing just vibrates all the way around. Not washboarding, but more than annoying.
Such a shame.
Lots of speed, I will give it that. Which makes it all the more disappointing.

Cheetah Hunt. To me, a winner. Pure fun.
I know some (spoiled) enthusiasts would like a few more MPH to increase moments of airtime and some lateral effects, and I'd go along with that.
But I loved the ride as it is.
Got many rides during my two days there. Never ceased to please me.
Came to the conclusion that last car, front row, provided the better pops of air cresting the hills after the 2nd and 3rd launches. That seat also had me out of my seat on the two nice downhill drops as well as during the heartline roll inversion.
And the visuals coursing through the park and into that water portion of Rhino Rally are just great. I really loved being in back watching and feeling the train snake through that section of short banked turns (left-right-left-right).

The designers did a great job of mimicking a Cheetah chasing prey from what I recall watching TV footage of same over the years.

Maybe as I age I don't "need" all coasters to be top thrills.
CH isn't a top thrill experience, but it provided more than I was expecting.
It makes me want to ride it again and again and again, for the fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------
One at Universal: Ripe Ride Rocket

I did this same trip two years ago (same week in Feb) and RRR was down Mon thru Thurs; finally got lucky as it was open first thing on Friday, but only had the morning to ride it.
Two rides were had then, and the first was in the rain. My take then was a bit disappointing, it was not a top thrill, yet seemed fun, but I needed more rides to really get into it.

This year, many rides were had over two separate days.
I have a new appreciation for the ride.
Yes, not a top thrill, but much better than I expected. It's just fun.
I believe I like it better than Mummy now.

Mike B.

Re: FL coasters: my take on three by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/15/12 10:58:30 PM

Thanks for an interesting read. Shame about Gwazi, especially Tiger. I've always liked Gwazi even with the old trains, and even when everyone else seemed to dis the ride. I think this is why they typically don't build woodies in the south. Year round operation plus the constant humidity makes for a maintenance nightmare.

We haven't ridden CH yet, but will be on the suncoast for a few weeks again this summer... already bought BGT season passes, so will finally have a chance to experience it firsthand. Thanks for the last car tip. We'll try to remember that one.

We've only ridden RRR twice - once two years ago and once last year. Didn't care for it personally.

Re: FL coasters: my take on three by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/16/12 12:37:29 AM

MCBR's (B&M style) were first used mainly to slow down trains enough to go through smaller inversions, hills etc, and to a lesser extent to seamlessly space trains; Now damn-near every company (outside of B&M) seems to just use them primarily to space trains; H:RRR, and Cheetah Hunt are perfect examples of this. There has to be a better way to space these trains apart than using these element-killing MCBR's that dramatically slow down what would be action; How bout slowing them down just a tad, and not at 4MPH. H:RRR has four snail crawling MCBR's and Cheetah Hunt IMO was flawless until that stupid MCBR that killed any potential of those S-curves having any lateral airtime; Then after they already kill'd the damn momentum, they launch again over a forceless airhill with a lazy meandering run to the station!!! Really? What's the purpose? Maybe I'm just old school, I always though the rollercoasters where all about coasting momentum, not stop & go driving. Leave the stop & go's for the dark rides. Sorry for the rant.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: FL coasters: my take on three by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/16/12 7:45:21 AM

> Maybe I'm just old school, I always though the
> rollercoasters where all about coasting momentum, not stop
> & go driving. Leave the stop & go's for the dark
> rides. Sorry for the rant.

You said it perfectly. That's exactly the way I feel about RRR. I was trying to think of a way of saying that but ended up just deleting my remark about "too much gimmickry and not enough coasting" and instead just left it at "didn't care for it".

Re: FL coasters: my take on three by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/16/12 5:44:41 PM

Yup RRR was just forgettable. The ride had too many mcb and it was 'stop and go', not very pleasant at all. I would only go if the line wait is 30min or less. It doesn't deserve any more time than that. That plus it tends to have some issue every now and then where they have to stop the ride and cycle the trains which delays the ride further.

Cheetah Hunt, so long as there's no huge expectations of it being as intense as Montu, sheikra, etc, it is a fun ride. I liked it and was pleasantly surprised by it. But 40min is the max I would wait for the ride. That's why it is best to take 2-3 rides early in the morning and then move to the other coasters as later in the day it will be more crowded.

Gwazi, I love the new trains, it makes the ride much better. Tiger is still rougher, but at least it's still way more tolerable now than the previous years. I still don't understand why at least one visit one side or even both will be down. It would be nice if both were working and 'dueling'.

Re: FL coasters: my take on three by MABrider MABrider Profile at 2/17/12 12:44:13 PM

I don't recall RRR having any "stop and go" moments last week.
I think I would have remembered. YMMV

One thing that stood out to me last week on RRR was leaving my seat every time the train rolled to the right when passing by the station...every time.

I should have mentioned previously, that in every park I visited last week...every one...I had multiple walk-on opportunities on every coaster...every one!

Mike B.

Re: FL coasters: my take on three by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/17/12 10:54:44 PM

Well the breaks don't exactly slow the train to a dead stop, but you do feel it and to me that's a thumbs down. Well at least that's how it was in the summer, dunno about the winter months. They should've just had longer trains and fewer breaks.

Re: FL coasters: my take on three by NotSo NotSo Profile at 2/18/12 3:03:39 AM

Rip Ride Rocket is a great fit for that park. We really liked it.

Re: FL coasters: my take on three by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/21/12 1:26:08 AM

IMO one of the few saving graces for H:RRR (others being the first drop & non-inverting loop before the brake-run fest) is the on board music (ironically the thing that alotta people complain about) There's no way to sugarcoat it, nothing is exciting about brake runs, and H:RRR has four of them.