Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity

Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
2/15/12 at
2:16:25 AM

Six Flags Magic Mountain will open the freefall drop ride 'Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom' this year. It will seat only sixteen (eight on both sides of the 'Superman: Escape to Krypton' coaster tower) That's it 16 for an enormous park like SFMM?!! To put this into perspective, Drop Tower (like at KD, and KI) seats 40 at one time, so two runs on LL still wouldn't equal the capacity of one run on Drop Tower; Not to mention, LL's world breaking height certainly doesn't help things capacity-wise. LL seems like the ultimate capacity nightmare. I'm quite sure that it will be a helluva ride, although I hafta ask myself, do I gotta camp overnight outside SFMM just to ride it?

Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 2/15/12 6:11:40 PM

SFMM is really limited in the possible capacity of LL. They are using 2 sides of Superman's structure, so they really don't have much more to work with. I think they've maxed out the capacity simply for structural restraints.

My question is: how is 85mph the max speed? Seems like it would get a lot faster. Who here is a physicist that can calculate the acceleration of gravity (9.82m/s2 or something like that)? If Goliath can reach 85 mph on an inclined drop of 255 feet, surely LL can go faster at 400 feet. I realize they have to control the speed of the drop a little, but will it be a true free-fall experience?

Pat-O

Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/15/12 11:57:15 PM

> My question is: how is 85mph the max speed? Seems like it
> would get a lot faster. Who here is a physicist that can
> calculate the acceleration of gravity (9.82m/s2 or
> something like that)? If Goliath can reach 85 mph on an
> inclined drop of 255 feet, surely LL can go faster at 400
> feet. I realize they have to control the speed of the drop
> a little, but will it be a true free-fall experience?

> Pat-O

I'm definitely not the brainiest person in the world to figure out that intimidating math quotation(LOL) but I see what you're saying, it seems like LL should be faster; I saw on one press release talkin' about LL at terminal velocity speeds; Last time I checked terminal was 120MPH not 85MPH, brakes are definitely slowing down this 'freefall' experience.

I know that people are not gonna like what I say, but IMO SFMM should upcharge that bad boy(nothing overly pricy though). More money for the park, and reasonable que times, sounds like a win-win to me; If not expect some RIDICULOUSLY long que times.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 2/16/12 1:54:59 PM

You're right - super long lines. If I make it back to SFMM soon I'll just head there first thing. Then, hopefully, the other line rides will be shorter!

-Pat-O

Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity by alpengeistno3 at 2/16/12 8:18:16 PM

> I know that people are not gonna like what I say, but IMO
> SFMM should upcharge that bad boy(nothing overly pricy
> though). More money for the park, and reasonable que times,
> sounds like a win-win to me; If not expect some
> RIDICULOUSLY long que times.
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

They have upcharge for all rides now...it's called Flash Pass (they will probably add an additional charge for Lex Luthor just like SFOG did for Daredevil Dive.)

Best of both worlds for the park; having a new attraction that is open to everyone and having lines long enough to drive people to the flash pass building 1st thing in the morning.

Paul

Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity by Tomes at 2/26/12 10:37:20 PM
SFMM already upcharge for a flash pass for X2. They started that before SFOG.. Im afraid that all parks r going to follow the trend. Will they now have 2 "extra cost for flash pass"attractions?
Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity by alpengeistno3 at 2/27/12 10:04:41 PM
Tomes said:

SFMM already upcharge for a flash pass for X2. They started that before SFOG.. Im afraid that all parks r going to follow the trend. Will they now have 2 "extra cost for flash pass"attractions?

I sort of assumed that SFMM had discontinued that by now with X2. It has been, what, 12 years since they put that ride in. Is it still drawing the same 3 hr lines that it used to draw?

They will probably either bump X2 down to regular flash pass in favor of Luthor or maybe create a new "super" flash pass that will include both.

Either way, I am sure capacity did not figure into their plans to go through with this and they will find a way to use the long lines to their financial advantage without a direct upcharge.

Paul

Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity by drachen drachen Profile at 2/28/12 9:29:01 AM
I agree that Lex Luthor's capacity will be low - too low for Magic Mountain. But, as someone mentioned, they're doing the best they can considering the ride's set up.

Even worse, and perhaps this should be a different thread, would the rumored drop ride on the back side of Kingda Ka at Great Adventure (also rumored to be themed to Lex). Two issues I have with it...

1) It's capacity would be worse, as there really could only be one carriage, right?

2) Lex Luthor in the Golden Kingdom. What?

Speaking of which, I was just on Great Adventure's site. Kingda Ka is listed (on February 28th) as being "Temporarily Closed for Maintenance". That's too bad, since I was thinking about going today...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity by MABrider MABrider Profile at 2/28/12 12:40:07 PM
drachen said:

I was just on Great Adventure's site. Kingda Ka is listed (on February 28th) as being "Temporarily Closed for Maintenance". That's too bad, since I was thinking about going today...

LOL
Was KK shut down on the last day of 2011 ops?
If so, they haven't bothered to update the web site.
Which is LOL-able.
Mike B.
Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/28/12 4:17:14 PM
MABrider said:

[Was KK shut down on the last day of 2011 ops?

Sure was.

Hey Jen, it's in a box! How 'bout that?!

* This post was modified at 2/28/12 4:17:58 PM *

Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity by alpengeistno3 at 2/28/12 6:25:12 PM
drachen said:

2) Lex Luthor in the Golden Kingdom. What?

Gradv already has Bizarro in the Wild West and Superman on the Boardwalk. What's so unusual about Lex in the Golden Kingdom (in that park) :)

drachen said:

Speaking of which, I was just on Great Adventure's site. Kingda Ka is listed (on February 28th) as being "Temporarily Closed for Maintenance". That's too bad, since I was thinking about going today...

They are just getting ready for opening day 2012, lol!

Paul

Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom's Capacity by arby at 7/7/12 12:28:56 PM
LoneStar said:

SFMM is really limited in the possible capacity of LL. They are using 2 sides of Superman's structure, so they really don't have much more to work with. I think they've maxed out the capacity simply for structural restraints.

My question is: how is 85mph the max speed? Seems like it would get a lot faster. Who here is a physicist that can calculate the acceleration of gravity (9.82m/s2 or something like that)? If Goliath can reach 85 mph on an inclined drop of 255 feet, surely LL can go faster at 400 feet. I realize they have to control the speed of the drop a little, but will it be a true free-fall experience?

Pat-O

Hope you don't mind the intrusion - I found your forum after seeing a news clip for LL, and looking for more information about the ride. I didn't find any details on the velocity profile, so I did some calculations of my own.

The reason for the lower terminal velocity is that this ride hast to stop at the bottom, vs a coaster that just keeps going up the next hill.

Rough calculations, using these numbers from Wikipedia: 120 meter drop, 127 km/h top speed.

Ignoring air resistance and assuming no braking or friction during the first part of the ride, and constant braking during deceleration, I get:
Free fall for 3.9 seconds, 76 meters, to 127 km/h.
Braking at 1.6 G (total felt 2.6 G) for 2.4 seconds.