Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR - IRTRA - Mundo Petapa, Guatemala City

TR - IRTRA - Mundo Petapa, Guatemala City

LoneStar LoneStar Profile

Posted:
2/11/12 at
5:28:09 PM

First off, this park should be named “Zamperla Park.” Nearly every ride in the place was a Zamperla!

Today I spent about 5 hours at Mundo Petapa in Guatemala City. The park is fairly small and very family friendly. It has a small collection of rides a large swimming pool, and a nice little zoo. Most rides cater to small children, and there is a great dinosaur-themed playground. The zoo features many Central American birds, jaguars, pumas, and monkeys. And there are peacocks everywhere!

The park is quite charming - bright paint and very clean. Very friendly staff and children running around everywhere. I had a ton of fun today and would recommend it for a weekend outing. Let me start off with this – this park proves a ride doesn’t have to be the biggest or fastest to be super intense and fun. Many of the rides were quaint but packed a tremendous punch in their small packages.

And you can’t beat the price – entrance and ride bracelet just about $20. Ice creams about $1. For lunch I had a medium pizza and a Pepsi for about $9.

The rides I got on:

Moto Bala – Zamperla moto coaster
This was my first moto coaster experience. The seats aren’t all that bad, but after 4 rides in a row I started to get a little sore in my chest. No offense, but I can see this being really uncomfortable for ladies.

The launch is surprisingly intense. The track accelerates to 40 mph in about 25 yards. The ride uses a cable system similar to a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop. The fast launch becomes even more intense as you rise into a swooping upward right hand turn. After the launch and reaching to top of the structure, the coaster just works its way through several figure-8s with very steep curves before hitting the breaks.

Moto Bala was fun, especially the launch. It is sort of tame the rest of the way. I was way surprised how much better the coaster runs with a full load. The first time I rode I was by myself and the train was sluggish. Full loaded it seems to run much faster – probably because it generates more momentum in the launch.

Rascacielos – power tower drop
This power tower-style was one of the most intense I have ever been on – just as intense as any S&S turbo shot. The “car” rockets up to the top of the structure with blazing speed and gives MEGA air time at the top. You fly out of your seat! After a few bounces you are pulled to the top (120 feet maybe?) for literally 30 second before you drop. The view from the top is spectacular. One can see the 3 major volcanoes of southern Guatemala – Agua, Fuego, and Pacaya – spread out before you. It was quite windy, and I could feel the tower sway in the strong wind. After enjoying the view for quite some time, and drop to the bottom isn’t quite as great as it could be, but still fun.

I can’t emphasize enough how intense this ride is! I’ve never flown out of my seat like that! To make it better, the first time I rode was the first run of the day, and I hadn’t seen the tower testing. I thought I was going to be lifted to the top slowly for one big drop. What a surprise I had when, without any warning, we got blasted to the top and full force! Holy crap that was an awesome experience!

Frisbee – Zamperla Midi Discovery
Remember how I said intensity can come in small packages? This is a miniature version of MaxAir and Delirium – and it is just as fun if not funner! The pendulum is only about 20 feet, but because it is so small you get swung around really fast! The seats become almost totally inverted at the peak of the swings. Plus, there is a nearby tree that gives your feet some great perspective. There’s just something about being in such a compact little ride that makes it super intense! I loved it!

Mini roaring rapids – I don’t remember the name of this one, but it was a really fun mini roaring rapids ride. The boats spun with great speed down a spiraling chute of water into a good splash. We then traces around a small river for a while before returning to the station. I had never seen one of these, but I liked it.

Zamperla Kangabounce – have any of yall been on one of these! They are great fun and give you some great air. Really fun with small kids too!

Zamperla Kite Flyer
Comanche – Zamperla Disk-O
Raton Loroco – Zamperla wild mouse
Dragon – Zamperla dragon
See what I mean about all the Zamperla rides?!?!

I had a really great time to day. I also saw a very entertaining show with magicians, dancing, and clowns. I got to get up on stage and assist with one of the magic tricks. It put a great touch on the day. If you are ever in Guatemala City I highly recommend spending about a half day at Mundo Petapa. The crowds were VERY light! No waiting!

For a few pictures, look at my facebook page - Patton Sides Cutco Sales Professional

- Pat-O

Re: TR - IRTRA - Mundo Petapa, Guatemala City by drachen drachen Profile at 2/11/12 6:53:33 PM

Very much enjoyed reading your TR. When I was down there around 1999/2000, Mundo Petapa was just a little park with some gardens and colorful structures. I never went in, but I was told that there were no rides. It's change a lot over the past 10 years.

I've heard great things about the Kangaroo bounce ride. Morey's Piers is getting one this year, and it's on my to-do list.

I like the Zamperla Motor-coasters. They are fun and have a great launch. It's such a unique way to ride, and I thought the trains were very comfortable.

Are you still down there? Will you be making it to Xetulul? The park didn't even exist when I left Guatemala in 2001. Hope you make/made it there. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

One day I'll take the Mrs. down there for a week and do the parks.

I loved your FB pictures too. Seeing those volcanos brings back a lot of memories.

Re: TR - IRTRA - Mundo Petapa, Guatemala City by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/11/12 9:51:38 PM

Sounds like a nice little park. It does have my favorite flats: Drop Towers and Frisbees. Glad you had a good time. I don't know if I'll ever be in that part of the world but if I ever am I'll remember to check it out. Have a safe trip home!

Jen

And what is a kangaroo bounce ride? I have a vision of a bouncy castle or something like it in my head LOL!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: TR - IRTRA - Mundo Petapa, Guatemala City by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 2/11/12 10:33:35 PM

I'm going to Xetulul in March.

What were you doing in Guatemala?

- Pat-O

Re: TR - IRTRA - Mundo Petapa, Guatemala City by drachen drachen Profile at 2/11/12 10:43:50 PM

> And what is a kangaroo bounce ride? I have a vision of a
> bouncy castle or something like it in my head LOL!

This...

It looks and sounds like a blast. The cars simply bounce around in a circle.

Re: TR - IRTRA - Mundo Petapa, Guatemala City by drachen drachen Profile at 2/11/12 10:46:33 PM

> I'm going to Xetulul in March.

Have fun. The park looks incredible, especially the water park.

Re: TR - IRTRA - Mundo Petapa, Guatemala City by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/11/12 10:53:38 PM

Based on the picture and video of the Kangabounce, it appears that the Wave Blaster (I think that was the name) at Canobie lake is the same with a different theme. I made a point of riding it twice last summer, something I rarely do with flats. What a fun ride, with more bounces and jiggles than three episodes of Charlie's Angels(the 70's one, not that quickly-cancelled abomination from the current season.)

Mike, who passed a little kiddie Dragon coaster today and sorely wished it was open...

Re: TR - IRTRA - Mundo Petapa, Guatemala City by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/12/12 12:18:26 PM

> Mike, who passed a little kiddie Dragon coaster today and
> sorely wished it was open...

Shocker! :-P

Jen

Re: TR - IRTRA - Mundo Petapa, Guatemala City by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/12/12 1:50:46 PM

> Zamperla Kite Flyer
> Comanche – Zamperla Disk-O
> Raton Loroco – Zamperla wild mouse
> Dragon – Zamperla dragon
> See what I mean about all the Zamperla rides?!?!

So basically it's Luna Park(Central America) :)

Re: TR - IRTRA - Mundo Petapa, Guatemala City by drachen drachen Profile at 2/12/12 11:43:09 PM

> So basically it's Luna Park(Central America) :)

So true...

Zamperla makes good rides, though. That's why they sell so many.