Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > How can we find out who bought it?

How can we find out who bought it?

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
2/7/12 at
8:58:28 PM

Look what Mike G e-mailed me:
http://www.intermarkridegroup.com/roller-coasters/premier-dual-lim-coaster-rc1290

Is there anyway to find out where it's going? I must ride it again! My very first launch coaster. It's true, you never forget your first! :~)

Jen

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 2/8/12 3:38:55 PM

I thought it was bought for the scrap?

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/8/12 5:14:21 PM

NOOOOO!!! First Free Fall and now The Chiller? :~(
How can the price of a roller coaster be less then what it would get for scrap? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Jen

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by alpengeistno3 at 2/8/12 11:15:50 PM

> NOOOOO!!! First Free Fall and now The Chiller? :~(
> How can the price of a roller coaster be less then what it
> would get for scrap? That just doesn't make any sense to
> me.

> Jen

Would you like to have your electric meter hooked up to it so you can pay the bill to fire it up? Didn't think so ;)

Paul

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/9/12 7:15:09 AM

> Would you like to have your electric meter hooked up to it
> so you can pay the bill to fire it up? Didn't think so ;)

> Paul

Hell yeah - if I was on it! My thinking was is if it was up for sale in working condition then the price to purchase it could not possibly be lower than the amount you would get for scrap, so who would do that? That is what doesn't make sense to me. It clearly says "sold" so it wasn't taken down and then sold for scrap by SFGAdv or the listing would've just disappeared. That's my rationale anyway. Or perhaps wishful thinking.....

Jen

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 2/9/12 6:12:29 PM

The killer thing about the debacle that was the ending of the Chiller at Great Adventure was that Premier Rides offered the fix the issue at no charge to the park.

I was at a friend's cookout in 2006 and who was there? None other than Peter Schnabel! We spoke for quite a bit of time about the company and their projects.

He had a bunch of concept artwork for the yet to be announced Pepsi Ferris Wheel that they were suppose to build as part of the Xanadu/Meadowland project in Jersey. He gave me a packet of the specs and the concert art and a Premier Rides broucher.

Nice fella he is.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/9/12 8:26:29 PM

> The killer thing about the debacle that was the ending of
> the Chiller at Great Adventure was that Premier Rides
> offered the fix the issue at no charge to the park.

Now that pisses me off. If they only took the Chiller down for the DK, or as Mike G calls it, POS in a box, then I have a HUGE problem with that. I thought it was going to cost them too much money to repair it. Bastards.

> I was at a friend's cookout in 2006 and who was there? None
> other than Peter Schnabel! We spoke for quite a bit of time
> about the company and their projects.

> He had a bunch of concept artwork for the yet to be
> announced Pepsi Ferris Wheel that they were suppose to
> build as part of the Xanadu/Meadowland project in Jersey.
> He gave me a packet of the specs and the concert art and a
> Premier Rides broucher.

Whatever happened with that? Are they still planning on building it? I haven't heard anything about Xanadu in a long time but I've only been back here since May.

Jen

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/9/12 8:49:18 PM

>
> Now that pisses me off. If they only took the Chiller down
> for the DK, or as Mike G calls it, POS in a box,

It's "POC in the Box" pronounced "pock." Like "Jack-in-the-box."
Say it aloud a few times..it rolls off the tongue nicely.

The "C" is simply a tamer version of your "S."

> Whatever happened with that? Are they still planning on
> building it? I haven't heard anything about Xanadu in a
> long time but I've only been back here since May.

I haven't read anything about it lately. I may be wrong, but I don't think it's called Xanadu any longer. I think a new firm had taken over construction, hoping it would be ready for the Super Bowl in 2014.

Mike

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by alpengeistno3 at 2/10/12 12:02:47 AM

Jen,
I think it was a combination of factors. The power consumption, the maintenance issues, and that your "boyfriend" totally made the cool thing about the ride (the launch) obsolete. Once they removed the rolls, Chiller became "Kingda Ka-lite."

Paul

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/10/12 1:46:13 AM

While those are very good points, having a similar type ride hasn't stopped places like KD from having 3 launching coasters. Sure using shuttle trains reduces capacity, but it would keep riders off other coasters.
=
Lol, "POC", perhaps replace the c with x as DK is a pox for the park. A "disease" that should've been avoided. ;)

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/10/12 8:31:44 AM

> It's "POC in the Box" pronounced
> "pock." Like "Jack-in-the-box."

.... or maybe "Doc-in-a-box"

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by alpengeistno3 at 2/10/12 4:29:17 PM

> While those are very good points, having a similar type
> ride hasn't stopped places like KD from having 3 launching
> coasters. Sure using shuttle trains reduces capacity, but
> it would keep riders off other coasters.

Ha, true, Phil, but Gradv CLEARLY had other plans for the spot and considering Chiller's other issues, it was "convenient" to just get rid of it rather than work with Premier to have it repaired.

Considering the history of the ride (opening a year late, getting new restraints because of the roughness complaints, the noise, getting rid of the rolls), I don't blame Gradv for saying "thanks, but no thanks" to Premier's offer.

Paul

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 2/10/12 8:29:19 PM

> While those are very good points, having a similar type
> ride hasn't stopped places like KD from having 3 launching
> coasters. Sure using shuttle trains reduces capacity, but
> it would keep riders off other coasters.

> Ha, true, Phil, but Gradv CLEARLY had other plans for the
> spot and considering Chiller's other issues, it was
> "convenient" to just get rid of it rather than
> work with Premier to have it repaired.

> Considering the history of the ride (opening a year late,
> getting new restraints because of the roughness complaints,
> the noise, getting rid of the rolls), I don't blame Gradv
> for saying "thanks, but no thanks" to Premier's
> offer.

> Paul

That was pretty much the gist I got talking to Peter. With all the problems that the park had experienced with the ride, the park just wanted to end the nightmare that was their relationship with Premier Rides. I'd be absolutely shocked if the park ever purchases a product, including parts for defunct rides and coaster companies again, after parting ways with Premier Rides.

Prior to Superman's Ultimate Flight going into SFDK this year, the last Premier installation at any SF park was in 1999. In '99, SFA received Joker's Jinx and SFFT received Poltergeist.

Coincidence? While I have no insider information, I don't think so. Chiller had so many issues that I think SF had severed the relationship with Premier for a long time.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/10/12 9:02:47 PM

Good points Paul. I guess that does trump whatever fixes the company could've done for the rides. But what I don't understand is Mr Freeze seems ok, what made B&R so terrible? Oh well...

Cuz maybe SFGAdv could've either moved a Joker's Jinx/FoF coaster and put that there inside that building and then there wouldn't have been a problem of a real ride replacing a problematic pair. CP made them work, I can't see how one pair of coasters sours a relation b/w the builder and the park. If Premier really wanted to save face, maybe they could've given a discount on an existing ride type as a replacement?

But I will concede if there was more to it than that,as I am only speaking as a 'customer'.

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 2/10/12 9:22:11 PM

> Good points Paul. I guess that does trump whatever fixes
> the company could've done for the rides. But what I don't
> understand is Mr Freeze seems ok, what made B&R so
> terrible? Oh well...

> Cuz maybe SFGAdv could've either moved a Joker's Jinx/FoF
> coaster and put that there inside that building and then
> there wouldn't have been a problem of a real ride replacing
> a problematic pair. CP made them work, I can't see how one
> pair of coasters sours a relation b/w the builder and the
> park. If Premier really wanted to save face, maybe they
> could've given a discount on an existing ride type as a
> replacement?

> But I will concede if there was more to it than that,as I
> am only speaking as a 'customer'.
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

I don't understand the point that you are trying to make.

A Mad Cobra, the model name for the Joker's Jinx's, Flight of Fear's, Poltergeists of the world would not fit inside a Dark Knight or even the simulator ride that Great Adventure already has.

Cedar Point doesn't have a Premier launching coaster.

Both of Cedar Point's launching coasters were manufactured by Intamin.

What is the point you are trying to make?

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by alpengeistno3 at 2/11/12 6:58:01 PM

> Good points Paul. I guess that does trump whatever fixes
> the company could've done for the rides. But what I don't
> understand is Mr Freeze seems ok, what made B&R so
> terrible? Oh well...

I've never ridden a Freeze, but the rolls were the main issue with Chiller. If the return spike failed to fire the train up to the top, the train would get stuck in the rolls instead of saddling at the bottom. Also, removing the OTSR's caused the train weight to change substantially (I guess that was more an issue with Chiller's 45* spikes than on Freeze's vertical spike.

> Cuz maybe SFGAdv could've either moved a Joker's Jinx/FoF
> coaster and put that there inside that building and then
> there wouldn't have been a problem of a real ride replacing
> a problematic pair. CP made them work, I can't see how one
> pair of coasters sours a relation b/w the builder and the
> park. If Premier really wanted to save face, maybe they
> could've given a discount on an existing ride type as a
> replacement?

Don't let the seeming compact size of the Mad Cobra clones fool you. At 75 ft tall, they are really large rides for indoor coasters (Skull Mountain is only 40 ft, DK around 50 ft). It's not fitting in Chiller's footprint, especially if they decide to enclose it.

You think one ride can't sour the relationship with a park? See Drachen Fire, Busch Gardens/Arrow, X, Magic Mountain/Arrow, Hypersonic, KD/S&S. The story is still being written on Intamin's relationship with Cedar Fair, but I doubt it was coincidence that Leviathan is now a B&M.

Paul

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/12/12 12:09:43 AM

> I don't understand the point that you are trying to make.

> A Mad Cobra, the model name for the Joker's Jinx's, Flight
> of Fear's, Poltergeists of the world would not fit inside a
> Dark Knight or even the simulator ride that Great Adventure
> already has.

> Cedar Point doesn't have a Premier launching coaster.

> Both of Cedar Point's launching coasters were manufactured
> by Intamin.

> What is the point you are trying to make?

> Joe
> Great_Ump

>
Cedar Fair* KD and KI, sorry got the name confused. And yes the building would've been too small, and would've had to be bigger. I'm saying there are Premier coasters that are running today. So yes B&R was a failure, but why would it stop SFGAdv from not buying a coaster from that company? *

*Nm, after reading Paul's post I guess I can understand how a park will stay away from certain manufacturers.

Re: How can we find out who bought it? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 2/12/12 6:08:30 PM

> > Cedar Fair* KD and KI, sorry got the name confused.
> And yes the building would've been too small, and would've
> had to be bigger. I'm saying there are Premier coasters
> that are running today. So yes B&R was a failure, but why
> would it stop SFGAdv from not buying a coaster from that
> company? *

> *Nm, after reading Paul's post I guess I can understand how
> a park will stay away from certain manufacturers.
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Thanks for clarifying.

Would you do business with a company who's multi-million dollar product failed you the first time you purchased the product from them?

No, of course you wouldn't.

Joe
Great_Ump