Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Timberliners

Timberliners

NotSo NotSo Profile

Posted:
2/4/12 at
7:52:31 AM

I remember a lot of hype over these a few years ago, esp for Voyage, but have these trains ever ran on a coaster yet?

Re: Timberliners by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/4/12 8:05:54 AM

> I remember a lot of hype over these a few years ago, esp
> for Voyage, but have these trains ever ran on a coaster
> yet?

Yep. Wooden Warrior at Quassy in CT, opened last Spring with a Timberliner train. Very comfy, smooth, and ..even for me, plenty of space between my gut and the bar, allowing for airtime up the wazoo on a 35-foot-high coaster. Best new coaster experience last year for this rider.

Mike

Re: Timberliners by NotSo NotSo Profile at 2/4/12 8:44:45 AM

So, could these trains help on the roughest coasters, like Voyage, or Mean Streak... ?

Re: Timberliners by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/4/12 9:12:38 AM

> So, could these trains help on the roughest coasters, like
> Voyage, or Mean Streak... ?

Who knows? Those rides are obviously much more intense, and will produce much more wear and tear on the trains, than WW's relatively mild (but helluva lotta fun) layout does. Don't know what the status is of Voyage's Timberliner plans, but they are doing some track work.

Re: Timberliners by drachen drachen Profile at 2/4/12 9:22:25 AM

I also rode Wooden Warrior last year, and I was impressed with the trains. They are very roomy. I like its restraint better than the Millennium Flyers, but I think the Flyers are overall a better train.

Voyage already has a Timberliner train or two on site. One thing I noticed was that as I rode Warrior, and I'm not really tall (6'), is that my shin kept hitting the front trim piece. It wasn't really painful, but I felt it. The only thing I could think of was of how uncomfortable that might be on a more forceful coaster like Voyage.

Otherwise, they track very well, and are very comfortable to sit in. But I don't know what they could do for Voyage or Mean Streak that the Millennium Flyers couldn't.

It would be hard to say until a larger coaster has as set. One thing they would certainly help with is the maintenance/longevity of the coaster. Those single bench trains are much easier on the track and structure.

Re: Timberliners by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/4/12 10:49:25 AM

I think I'll let you guys (and the GP) be the guinea pigs for Voyage. IMO HW should try TL's on Raven and/or Legend for a year or two before putting them on the biggest, baddest coaster in the world and expecting everybody to feel safe.

Re: Timberliners by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 2/4/12 12:50:18 PM

> I also rode Wooden Warrior last year, and I was impressed
> with the trains. They are very roomy. I like its restraint
> better than the Millennium Flyers, but I think the Flyers
> are overall a better train.

> Voyage already has a Timberliner train or two on site. One
> thing I noticed was that as I rode Warrior, and I'm not
> really tall (6'), is that my shin kept hitting the front
> trim piece. It wasn't really painful, but I felt it. The
> only thing I could think of was of how uncomfortable that
> might be on a more forceful coaster like Voyage.

> Otherwise, they track very well, and are very comfortable
> to sit in. But I don't know what they could do for Voyage
> or Mean Streak that the Millennium Flyers couldn't.

> It would be hard to say until a larger coaster has as set.
> One thing they would certainly help with is the
> maintenance/longevity of the coaster. Those single bench
> trains are much easier on the track and structure.

There is no Timberliner on sight at HW as of now, The train they used last year for testing is no longer in use as many stronger parts and even more support in the seating area was needed.

If and when HW receives Timberliners, They will be new. Being a test subject, My brother noted how the nose piece hit his shin and mentioned it to TGG but I guess they forgot.

Having sat in two different Prototypes, One at the shop and the one HW had, I can tell you, Roomy is not the word. My Brother and i are both big guys and we were not hitting shoulders, In a PTC or MF train we are hanging out the sides when sitting together.

I certainly do hope that HW chooses to go with the Timberliner, The park is currently doing a major rehab of Voyage changing ledger position's, New track on first and second drops and even a complete rebuild of a section of the spaghetti bowl. Im positive the full articulation and lack of yaw stresses the Timberliners would reduce vs the PTC would help this coasters longevity between work immensely. To View a video of the HW work, Go to Youtubes holiday world channel.

Re: Timberliners by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 2/4/12 12:53:25 PM

> I think I'll let you guys (and the GP) be the guinea pigs
> for Voyage. IMO HW should try TL's on Raven and/or Legend
> for a year or two before putting them on the biggest,
> baddest coaster in the world and expecting everybody to
> feel safe.

Mike G of Gravity Group said, Nobody would ride until he was 100% sure, Thats why a lot of parts and stuff were made stronger after the testing, They operated for a complete season on two coasters with no incidents. I feel safe.

"My wife and kids will ride them too, You think I'd let them if it wasn't? Mike Graham.

Re: Timberliners by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/4/12 1:28:04 PM

> Mike G of Gravity Group said, Nobody would ride until he
> was 100% sure, Thats why a lot of parts and stuff were made
> stronger after the testing, They operated for a complete
> season on two coasters with no incidents. I feel safe.
> "My wife and kids will ride them too, You think I'd
> let them if it wasn't? Mike Graham.

I'm sure they're very well designed and well made. Nothing against TGG or HW for that matter. The twin towers stood for decades until someone crashed a plane into them. The designer had anticipated a possible airplane collision, but had assumed that any plane that might hit by accident would have dumped all their fuel beforehand.

In other words, they're only designed to withstand anticipated stresses. Lord only knows what might be thrown against them in the real world. Hopefully I have another decade of coaster riding ahead of me. I've become much more choosy in my sixties just what I'm willing to ride. Life becomes more and more precious the more years you have behind you.

While it would be great to experience the TL's firsthand, I feel I've already experienced Voyage at it's greatest (as far as we know now) and so I can afford to wait while the Grahams and Nungesters prove that the TL's can withstand just about anything out of the ordinary. There's a BIG difference between the forces on the Wooden Warrior and the Voyage.

Per your other post, there was some discussion of Voyage's retracking at the CACE dinner the other night. I hope it all helps tremendously.

Re: Timberliners by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/4/12 3:02:13 PM

> I think I'll let you guys (and the GP) be the guinea pigs
> for Voyage. IMO HW should try TL's on Raven and/or Legend
> for a year or two before putting them on the biggest,
> baddest coaster in the world and expecting everybody to
> feel safe.

> Mike G of Gravity Group said, Nobody would ride until he
> was 100% sure,

No, I didn't :)

Mike G.

Re: Timberliners by NotSo NotSo Profile at 2/5/12 12:02:13 PM

* This Post Has Been Modified *