Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment

Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
2/1/12 at
7:14:26 PM

There are really only three coasters that have beaten me up to the point that it was uncomfortable.

3) SFNE Cyclone - Back Seat
2) Lake Compounce Wild Cat - Back Seat
1) Coney Island Cyclone - any seat, especially the back.

I rode it for the first time last summer, and it is the one coaster that left me sore. My neck hurt for about a week after my back seat ride. The bottom of each drop just hit so hard.

Well, according to Amusement Today, the beloved Cyclone will get some much needed TLC over the next 4-5 years, beginning this year, and I think that it's wonderful.

Better yet, GCII is doing the work. They do exceptional work, as we all know. Their new coasters are great, but they do really good work with rebuilds and modifications. I'm looking forward to riding the results.

I find it interested that they will be addressing the trains. I hope they decide to keep the existing trains mostly in tact. They give that ride so much more character.

Here is the article:

CAI selects Great Coasters International, Inc. to revamp Coney Island Cyclone

"Central Amusement International (CAI) – the subsidiary of Italian ride manufacturer Zamperla overseeing the revitalization of the Coney Island amusement scene – has now set its sights on the mighty Cyclone wooden roller coaster.

CAI officials acknowledged that the Cyclone is in need of repairs. They did their research and settled on one company they felt has the competence and passion to invigorate the ailing ride, Pennsylvania-based Great Coasters International, Inc.

Amusement Today spoke with Valerio Ferrari, president of CAI, about the work taking place on the grand old ride and why GCII was selected for the project. “We are very excited for the improvements that have been and will be made to The Cyclone. This ride is rich in history, and being able to preserve it for future generations to enjoy is something that CAI is very proud to be part of,” said Ferrari. “CAI chose GCII to renovate the Cyclone mainly for two reasons. First and most importantly, they are an industry leader with a proven track record on renovating existing coasters while maintaining each coasters’ ‘identity’. Second, they demonstrated a very strong desire to put their thumbprint on such a prestigious and iconic ride.

“GCII surveyed the Cyclone’s track and proposed that by making small adjustments to its profile, we will be able to create a more enjoyable riding experience for our guests. Since this is both financial and labor intensive, CAI concluded that breaking the project into phases will allow us to keep the Cyclone open during our operating season and stay within budget constraints,” continued Ferrari. “The Cyclone’s track replacement is expected to be completed within four to five years. As part of the final phase, we are looking into either refurbishing or replacing the Cyclone’s trains. Plans are not final, however, our vision is to keep the trains similar to the original design. When we are finished, the track and other ride systems will be state-of-the-art and will also meet current ride standards.”

If all goes as planned and the weather cooperates, CAI officials feel the Cyclone will be ready to open on Palm Sunday, April 1, 2012."

Photo by Jim McDonnel

Cyclone can be seen here currently without a first drop.

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/2/12 12:27:31 AM

This is just fantastic news. I've always felt that that coaster would be better if the cars were shorter and handle the turns better and were not so heavy. I know the purists would prefer to leave it as is, but this revamp was a long time coming and should be better for the structure's longevity.
I'd be in favor of them using their trains than to try and rebuild the current ones.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 2/2/12 12:26:30 PM

This is the only part that concerns me a bit:

"GCII surveyed the Cyclone’s track and proposed that by making small adjustments to its profile, we will be able to create a more enjoyable riding experience for our guests."

I'm curious as to what kind of "small adjustments to its profile" they mean. Generally GCI is very good, and I'm not to concerned. I doubt they are going to do anything that would really make changes other than make it a more enjoyable ride,but if it's anything noticeable in the pattern/ layout of the ride- steepness of the drop, or anything like that you know people are going to be yelling.

Should be interesting to see how it all turns out- and if the trains are able to be refurbished or if they have to be replaced.

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by MABrider MABrider Profile at 2/2/12 12:40:49 PM

drachen,

SFNE Cyclone's rear seat experience is much improved since the trackwork * that has been done. I used to avoid all of the back half of the train, but as of 2011 it is (more than) tolerable, even all the way back.

* portions replaced with Rocky Mountain Construction Topper Track

Mike B.

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by drachen drachen Profile at 2/2/12 1:45:49 PM

> drachen,

> SFNE Cyclone's rear seat experience is much improved since
> the trackwork * that has been done. I used to avoid all of
> the back half of the train, but as of 2011 it is (more
> than) tolerable, even all the way back.

> * portions replaced with Rocky Mountain Construction Topper
> Track

My first ride was in 2011, in the back seat. I didn't find the whole ride too rough. Pretty much, it was bottom of the first drop. It felt like we free fell and landed at the bottom. The subsequent two drops were similar, but not as severe.

I did love the ride, and I certainly appreciate its historic significance. There's a reason that it's been copied several times over the years. I was just unprepared for that first drop.

I didn't realize that it had received topper track. Obviously, CAI felt that Rocky Mountain's topper track wasn't the solution for the whole ride's needs, or else they would have continued with it.

I'm glad GCII is involved. I don't think anyone will dislike the ride when they're done with it, even if it doesn't have that old rickety feel to it anymore.

Regarding the trains... Wooden coasters need new trains every once in a while - just one of those facts of life. My hope is that the train receives new chassis and that they keep the carriages in tact.

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 2/3/12 2:18:38 PM

> drachen,

> SFNE Cyclone's rear seat experience is much improved since
> the trackwork * that has been done. I used to avoid all of
> the back half of the train, but as of 2011 it is (more
> than) tolerable, even all the way back.

> * portions replaced with Rocky Mountain Construction Topper
> Track

> Mike B.

Then rebuild it to original
! :)

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/4/12 8:21:45 PM

That's great news! Haven't ridden it in a very long time (I think the last time I rode it was 1989 or 1990) so I'll have to make a trip after it's finished to sample the work.

Jen

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/6/12 6:30:27 PM

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Blasphemy! GCII are blasphemers!!!! I'm a fuddy duddy that's accustomed to the washboardy unleveled, and rickety rough track! They will FOREVER ruin the unnerving experience that makes the Cyclone unique!

Just Kidding!!! With GCII's track record, they should do a great job in creating an enjoyable experience, in smoothing out the Cyclone. Although for whatever reason, I never thought that Cyclone was all that rough like alotta people complained about. That being said, I never rode in the back seats (I heard that it's the roughest back there).

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by drachen drachen Profile at 2/6/12 7:08:00 PM

> NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Blasphemy! GCII are blasphemers!!!! I'm a
> fuddy duddy that's accustomed to the washboardy unleveled,
> and rickety rough track! They will FOREVER ruin the
> unnerving experience that makes the Cyclone unique!

I know you say that in jest, but the funny thing is that there are a lot of enthusiasts out there that have that same opinion. I understand where they're coming from, but wooden coasters need to be maintained, and Cyclone has not been maintained properly.

> Just Kidding!!! With GCII's track record, they should do a
> great job in creating an enjoyable experience, in smoothing
> out the Cyclone. Although for whatever reason, I never
> thought that Cyclone was all that rough like alotta people
> complained about. That being said, I never rode in the back
> seats (I heard that it's the roughest back there).

As I've said, my first ride ever was last year in the very last seat. It kicked my butt. It was absolutely un-rideable, and I don't think I'm a wuss. The front was much more tolerable.

This is great news, both for current riders, and future riders. Cyclone should be around for a very long time.

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by looper77 at 2/7/12 12:10:27 AM

> There are really only three coasters that have beaten me up
> to the point that it was uncomfortable.

> 3) SFNE Cyclone - Back Seat
> 2) Lake Compounce Wild Cat - Back Seat
> 1) Coney Island Cyclone - any seat, especially the back.

THESE coasters are the definition of ROUGH! LOL

When I hear people complain about the Hersheypark Wildcat being rough, I laugh, because these coasters that you mentioned have not given me a bruise, but cracked my back!

SFNE Cyclone - I rode this as a teenager when it first opened and loved it then. It was an amazing ride. I rode it again for the first time in 25 years in 2008 and I almost cried. The ride is not even a shell of it's former self. I am at a loss for words as to what happened to this once great coaster that I used to dream about. The first drop is a joke.

Lake Compounce Wildcat - I rode this for the first time in 2008 and there were a few drops in which it felt like I had my back whacked by a baseball bat! This ride was PAINFUL. I wanted to like it so much, but it was unrideable after one ride. I'm not a masochist, so after one ride, I returned to Boulder Dash!

Coney Island Cyclone - I rode this several times as a kid and never understood the mystique. Blasphemy, I know. But I just found it painful, and worse, just not fun. And people thought SFMM's Psyclone was rough. The Coney Cyclone was ho-hum as the cars lumbered around the track, and it seems nothing has changed...until now with the news of the retracking.

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by drachen drachen Profile at 2/7/12 12:31:53 PM

> 3) SFNE Cyclone - Back Seat
> 2) Lake Compounce Wild Cat - Back Seat
> 1) Coney Island Cyclone - any seat, especially the back.

> THESE coasters are the definition of ROUGH! LOL

> When I hear people complain about the Hersheypark Wildcat
> being rough, I laugh, because these coasters that you
> mentioned have not given me a bruise, but cracked my back!

I agree. Some wooden coasters may have the 'side-to-side' vibration, but it's the vertical slamming that, to me, makes a ride rough. Wildcat is smooth compared to these three.

> SFNE Cyclone - I rode this as a teenager when it first
> opened and loved it then. It was an amazing ride. I rode it
> again for the first time in 25 years in 2008 and I almost
> cried. The ride is not even a shell of it's former self. I
> am at a loss for words as to what happened to this once
> great coaster that I used to dream about. The first drop is
> a joke.

I thought the front of Cyclone was a lot of fun. In the back, after the first drop, I found myself bracing myself like I've never done on a coaster before. It wasn't fun.

Now, it did receive some extensive work in the past off season. I'm not sure how it ran in 2011.

> Lake Compounce Wildcat - I rode this for the first time in
> 2008 and there were a few drops in which it felt like I had
> my back whacked by a baseball bat! This ride was PAINFUL.

That's a pretty accurate assessment. At least it's on the park's radar. From what I'm told, fixing the ride is on their to-do list.

> Coney Island Cyclone - I rode this several times as a kid
> and never understood the mystique. Blasphemy, I know. But I
> just found it painful, and worse, just not fun. And people
> thought SFMM's Psyclone was rough. The Coney Cyclone was
> ho-hum as the cars lumbered around the track, and it seems
> nothing has changed...until now with the news of the
> retracking.

I love the design, and I didn't think Psyclone was horrible. I loved Viper at SFGAm. The Cyclone has a great layout and I loved the trains. It just needs some work.

I'm glad that, even though there are only two new wooden coasters being built this year (none in the U.S.), GCII and Gravity Group get these occasional re-furb contracts.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by frontrow frontrow Profile at 2/7/12 5:54:35 PM

> Lake Compounce Wildcat - I rode this for the first time in
> 2008 and there were a few drops in which it felt like I had
> my back whacked by a baseball bat! This ride was PAINFUL.

> That's a pretty accurate assessment. At least it's on the
> park's radar. From what I'm told, fixing the ride is on
> their to-do list.

We were at Lake Compounce last season for the first time. There was new unpainted wood on Wildcat. Because of their luck of the draw seating we sat in the middle. The coaster wasn't rough at all, but it wasn't smooth either. My 3 kids and I enjoyed our ride. We wanted to ride it again, but the line as long as Boulderdash's all day. We decided to ride Boulderdash numerous times. Being that this was our first visit to Lake Compounce, I can't say how much Wildcat has improved. We rode Knoebels Twister the day before, and Wildcat was on that level of roughness.

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/7/12 7:45:19 PM

> We rode Knoebels Twister the day before, and
> Wildcat was on that level of roughness.

I've never found Twister terribly rough. There's much worse out there.

Mike

Re: Coney Island Cyclone to Begin GCII Treatment by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/10/12 1:54:33 AM

@ drachen, Yup. I know what you mean about that back row. They can put all the cushions in the train for just the back row, but when you land back on it, it will feel like landing on a stack of bricks. Never on any coaster have I ever grabbed tightly on the handle bar than that back row. I'm never taking a ride there again unless they replace the trains. I don't care about the purists. The CI cyclone needs new trains and preferably cars with 2 rows each. Cars with rows of 3 should be for strait out and backs only like rebel yell, imo.

Re: No Go On New Trains: by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/2/12 10:14:15 AM
Ain't happening:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/cyclone_cars_will_be_clickety_back_ylzyjGJ78a9bjdivhLJ0sN

Re: No Go On New Trains: by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 3/2/12 11:40:45 AM
Good. The trains are not what needs to be corrected.
Re: No Go On New Trains: by drachen drachen Profile at 3/2/12 4:18:35 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Good. The trains are not what needs to be corrected.

Agreed. They could use a refurbishment, but I'm glad to see that they won't be replaced. They give the ride so much character, it would be a shame to lose them.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: No Go On New Trains: by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 3/6/12 11:04:36 PM
I still disagree on this. Those cars are too long for a ride that has that many turns. If anything they should split the car in half so it's like a PTC car with 2 rows per car. Distribute the weight over more axles and it should reduce the pounding on the tracks and should hopefully make the ride smoother.

They don't have to make trains so radically different than the current ones, as they could make cars that feels and looks the same as the current ones. The only thing they should do differently is splitting a single car into 2. So rather than a 3 car train with 4 rows, it can be 6 cars with 2 rows.