Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle

X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle

Tomes

Posted:
1/30/12 at
6:01:30 PM

Ok, this thread is a little premature... But I couldn't resist it.

As both parks start to open in ~2 months, I would love to have people who rode both of them compare and contrast them. Which one was better in your opinion?

X-Flight:
More inversions (5 vs. 4)
2 0-g rolls
Through Key-hole element in the middle of an in-line twist

Wild Eagle:
Taller and Faster (210ft vs ?; 61mph vs. 55mph)
Longer - 3127' vs. 3000'
Awesome setting

Only time will tell. Hopefully I will experience both this roller coaster season! I cannot wait.

P.S. Before commenting, please specify whether you have ridden both, only one (and which), or none, to know whether you're making a prediction or an experienc-based opinion.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/30/12 6:31:44 PM

I've ridden none obviously :).

My spectulative prediction is that X-Flight will have the hella more unique and interesting layout (Dive loop, keyhole twist) than Wild Eagle, but Wild Eagle will be in a far beautiful setting (natural terrain, and lots a trees). than X Flight.

There's a lot of early spectulating talk concerning these two Wing Riders on the 2012 thread, although it's never too early to make this actual 'US Wing Rider experience' thread. :)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/30/12 6:48:28 PM

Be interesting to see if Marty McFly responds. Or Emmett Brown. Do they even LIKE rollie coasties? :)

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/30/12 7:02:01 PM

^^^LMAO!

I think that I should make a Verbolten vs Manta(SWSD) thread. JK Tomes. :)

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Tomes at 1/30/12 7:29:28 PM

Ha ha.. You COULD :-) But I think the poll there will be quite unanimous... I suppose you could give it a try ;-)

I agree with you that X-Flight has more interesting elements, but the sheer speed of Wild Eagle might make a little difference. Plus if WE goes up 210' and only drops 135', that leaves another 75' it has to descend throughout the course, which makes it sound like it will keep a good pace, whereas X-Flight will be 55mph right after the 1st drop, and then only slow down from there at the end of each element...

Also WE has a vertical loop which could be neat to experience on a "wing rider" style coaster.

Of course, on the contrary - X-Flight's Dive loop first drop sounds pretty interesting, and it will be a totally different experience depending on which side of the train you sit..

On a side note, it will be interesting to compare the ride experience on these two rides to the experience on X2 (of course the rotating seats make a huge difference and the elements are nothing alike), the experience on SkyRush's outer seats, and to the experience on Griffon/Sheikra's 4 ourtermost seats (2 on either side) because it's essentially the same type of configuration - no track above or below you.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by drachen drachen Profile at 1/30/12 10:02:31 PM

I think X-Flight looks a heck of a lot more fun than Wild Eagle. I think X-Flight could be the "hit" of the summer, even above Skyrush and Leviathan.

The layout just looks amazing, and is very unique. I plan to be there Memorial Day weekend if it's open.

Dollywood is on my radar too. I want to get down there again because I loved the park. But Wild Eagle is a good reason too.

In the world of "enthusiast bias", Dollywood ranks way higher than any Six Flags park. So, you see and hear so much more about Wild Eagle. But those that will get to ride both, I think, will prefer X-Flight.

The biggest difference-maker will be X-Flight's (no less than) 3 narrow fly-throughs. I didn't see any on Wild Eagle.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/31/12 9:22:42 AM

^^^I totally agree. IMO the problem with Wild Eagle and it's layout is that you can 'fill in the blank B&M type' and basically acheive the same, or even better results; IMO an invert would be better with Wild Eagle's current layout. IMO Wild Eagle should have been WAY more unique esp with that awesome terrain.

I think that the issue is that D-wood basically said "we got a Beemer with none miles around, and people are just gonna fall in love no matter what" and they are right, but that mentality would not have worked in the larger SFGAm where it's mandatory for them to make an unique coaster amongst the other Beemers in the park.

X-Flight on the other hand has an unique layout that heavily emphasizes on what makes a Wing Rider unique; Keyhole twist, Dive Loop first drop, and TWO zero-G rolls for the cherry on the top.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by RobLec RobLec Profile at 1/31/12 10:15:26 AM

Pardon my ignorance please, but wasn't X-flight the name
of a flying coaster from around ten or twelve years ago?

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by drachen drachen Profile at 1/31/12 12:02:04 PM

> Pardon my ignorance please, but wasn't X-flight the name
> of a flying coaster from around ten or twelve years ago?

X-Flight was the Six Flags name of the Vekoma flyer at Geauga Lake, which now resides in your neck of the woods...

So, in a way, I'm sure you've already ridden X-Flight. I wonder how many left-over souvenirs will end up over at Great America.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by RobLec RobLec Profile at 1/31/12 12:24:25 PM

> So, in a way, I'm sure you've already ridden X-Flight.

Yeah, and I HATED it!

Thx for the answer :)

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by drachen drachen Profile at 1/31/12 3:03:41 PM

> So, in a way, I'm sure you've already ridden X-Flight.

> Yeah, and I HATED it!

> Thx for the answer :)

While I think the new X-Flight will be much better than the old one, I have to say that I like the Vekoma flyer. They are a lot of fun, and much more comfortable than B&M's version.

I rode the original X-Flight at what was then Six Flags Worlds of Adventure in 2002. So, at least I know that whenever I finally make it to King's Island, that it's one less coaster that I have to ride.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 1/31/12 6:17:19 PM

X Flight is my most anticipated coaster this year and am really looking forward to riding it this summer. I'm thrilled that the wing coaster has finally landed in the U.S.

Wild Eagle does have a stunning location and, not to knock Dollywood, but that's all it has going for it. You could throw on some floorless or Kumba-style sit down trains on Wild Eagle and it would be just like any other B&M looper. As has been previously posted Dollywood should have went the inverted route for this one. Could you imagine something like the new Parc Asterix invert in Wild Eagle's space?

G-Dog

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by coastinj coastinj Profile at 2/1/12 1:54:32 AM

Well I do feel this post is a little premature as for the rides themselves, less than 2 months away. But Tomes I like your thoughts between the two rides. I've never been on this type of ride or to SFGAM, but I will say I just think Dollywood is such an amazing experience and way different than the SF experience so I think their ride will appeal to more ppl, and is a massive ride so I hope it does well for them. It definitely has the better location (how could you not love the Smokey Mtns as a backdrop), but I don't like the typical B&M layout pattern, but who knows, that zero g could take the spot of being my favorite element.

I will say I think SFGAM's layout is way more unique (similar to Swarm), and I can't wait to experience the keyhole inline twist, but if the test video online of the Swarm is indication, I really hope it's pacing/speed looks better as I don't know how I'd like that awkward hang time on the initial dive loop, only because I didn't like that similar hang time in the B&M flyers. Maybe it's the seat position of their trains, its the only downside of their coasters for me, but that seat issue extends to most of their inversion based rides for me, unless the train had a big boy seat.

As for the flyer comment period I'm in agreement with whomever said they preferred Vekomas, I've yet to ride Tatsu, Air, or Manta, but I've been on the Superman ones and I am not a fan at all. This was one area where I think the pacing of the coaster and comfort of the trains was a major win for Vekomas and I'm sad they've not made more unique layouts and ran with it. (same goes for the motorbike coaster)

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by gad198 gad198 Profile at 2/1/12 11:05:47 AM

I'm with most people here that say that X-Flight will offer the better ride experience overall. On the other hand, I'll disagree with some here that said that Dollywood's coaster should have been an invert. There are three reasons why I feel this is so:

(1) Marketing buzz. It sounds more interesting to say "America's First Wing Coaster" than it does to say "first inverted coaster in the Smokies." There's nothing particularly unique about building an invert now, and as much as I love most B&M inverts my curiosity factor towards the wingrider experience is much higher than it is for any new invert.

(2) The setting. I would have strongly disliked an invert here primarily for this reason. Unless you're riding in the front row of an invert, there's a pretty good chance that you're not going to be able to see anything in front of you and above you (or out to the side unless you're riding on the ends). That obstructed view would have totally spoiled the experience of riding above the trees and seeing the views the ride will offer. I don't think that will be an issue with a wingrider, although that remains to be seen.

(3) The park demographic. Dollywood knows their target audience pretty well and that often includes families of all types coming to the park together. You'll notice that all of Dollywood's existing big coasters (and Barnstormer) have a 48" minimum height requirement. Notice that Wild Eagle will be a 50" height requirement instead of the usual 54" requirement (on a sidenote, are there any B&M coasters outside of Apollo's Chariot that sport less than a 54" minimum height requirement?). I would think that a lot more people will be able to ride at 50" than 54". The fact that they worked with B&M to lower the height requirement really shows me that Dollywood has a handle on their demographic and wanted to bring the experience to more people. Very cool.

Regarding the flying coasters, Tatsu and Manta shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the other flyers. I've ridden all of the stateside Vekoma and B&M flyers, and Tatsu and Manta are several orders of magnitude better than the others. IMO, the only place that the Vekoma flyer has the advantage over the B&M flyer is when you're on the lift hill and brake run because you're not in the flying position. Being stuck face-down on the Superman brake run for 30 minutes three years ago was perhaps the longest half hour I've ever spent in an amusement park.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Tomes at 2/1/12 11:57:08 AM

I agree that Dollywood made a right decision by making it a wing rider and not an invert. That concept has nothing special about it - especially with only 4 inversions. It would immediately go down towards the bottom of the anticipated rides for 2012 if it was a 4-inversion 61mph inverter... But being a Wing Rider, and the first to open in the states, it will immediately go toward the top of that list. Also, all the other reasons you guys mentioned about the obstructed views, etc. - I agree 100%.

It seems like every single person here is rooting for X-Flight over Wild Eagle.. But I still think some minds might change after riding both. 55mph is just not all that impressive sounding - Iron Wolf (The ride it's replacing) had a max speed of 55mph.. It wasn't that fast or extremely fun, and I'm a fan of standups! That's my only concern.. Montu and medusa go 61mph and they're AMAZING rides. To me, it's remarkable how the speed of the ride can make or break the experience. Kind of like the anticipation for Cheetah Run and then the disappointment...

As far as not liking the hang time, I personally like it, but you can always ride toward the back - there will be significantly less hang time in the back of the train on this ride than in the front.

One last note - I agree that Manta and Tatsu are not even remotely close to the supermans - the supermans are kind of boring; Manta and Tatsu are fun! I've yet to ride a Vekoma Flyer but I want to! Before they all disappear!!!!

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by MABrider MABrider Profile at 2/1/12 12:49:32 PM

> Being stuck face-down on the Superman brake run
> for 30 minutes three years ago was perhaps the longest half
> hour I've ever spent in an amusement park.

That must have been truly awful.
I have luckily avoided any such delays like that on the B&Ms.

I have always been puzzled and annoyed why they didn't design the system to drop the trains back down once in the brake run.
I mean c'mon, it's B&M!

I am sure there are myriad reasons, but still...

Mike B.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by drachen drachen Profile at 2/1/12 1:23:12 PM

Great post. If I could just piggy-back a little...

> I'll
> disagree with some here that said that Dollywood's coaster
> should have been an invert. There are three reasons why I
> feel this is so:

> (1) Marketing buzz. It sounds more interesting to say
> "America's First Wing Coaster" than it does to
> say "first inverted coaster in the Smokies."
> There's nothing particularly unique about building an
> invert now, and as much as I love most B&M inverts my
> curiosity factor towards the wingrider experience is much
> higher than it is for any new invert.

I agree. I love inverted coasters, but they are no longer the flashy new thing. And let's face it, most large parks have one. I really feel like the wing riders will be the inverts. I can see every major park getting one.

> (2) The setting. I would have strongly disliked an invert
> here primarily for this reason. Unless you're riding in the
> front row of an invert, there's a pretty good chance that
> you're not going to be able to see anything in front of you
> and above you (or out to the side unless you're riding on
> the ends). That obstructed view would have totally spoiled
> the experience of riding above the trees and seeing the
> views the ride will offer. I don't think that will be an
> issue with a wingrider, although that remains to be seen.

Right. The wing riders will offer unobstructed view to every one on the train. Sure the front will give you a completely open ride experience, but even in the back you'll be able to see everything. Not the case with an inverted coaster.

> (3) The park demographic. Dollywood knows their target
> audience pretty well and that often includes families of
> all types coming to the park together. You'll notice that
> all of Dollywood's existing big coasters (and Barnstormer)
> have a 48" minimum height requirement. Notice that
> Wild Eagle will be a 50" height requirement instead of
> the usual 54" requirement (on a sidenote, are there
> any B&M coasters outside of Apollo's Chariot that sport
> less than a 54" minimum height requirement?). I would
> think that a lot more people will be able to ride at
> 50" than 54". The fact that they worked with B&M
> to lower the height requirement really shows me that
> Dollywood has a handle on their demographic and wanted to
> bring the experience to more people. Very cool.

Very good point, which probably resulted in the "tamer" layout.

> Regarding the flying coasters, Tatsu and Manta shouldn't
> even be mentioned in the same sentence as the other flyers.
> I've ridden all of the stateside Vekoma and B&M flyers, and
> Tatsu and Manta are several orders of magnitude better than
> the others. IMO, the only place that the Vekoma flyer has
> the advantage over the B&M flyer is when you're on the lift
> hill and brake run because you're not in the flying
> position. Being stuck face-down on the Superman brake run
> for 30 minutes three years ago was perhaps the longest half
> hour I've ever spent in an amusement park.

Regrettably, both of my visits to Magic Mountain were before Tatsu was built. And I have yet to get to Sea World. But from riding two of the three Supermen, I've never been impressed. They are sharp looking rides and are fun to watch. But the ride experience is just not worth the rush of blood that comes to your head as you wait to be unloaded.

Given the choice between a flyer and a wing rider, I think most parks will choose the latter.

Conversely, the inverted coaster is a dying breed, and the wing rider may prove to be the nail in the coffin. When I think of major parks that don't have an inverted ride or (SLC), I can only come up with Kings Island. I'll be interested to see if they pick a wing rider or inverted coaster for their next one.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by drachen drachen Profile at 2/1/12 1:24:58 PM

> I have always been puzzled and annoyed why they didn't
> design the system to drop the trains back down once in the
> brake run.
> I mean c'mon, it's B&M!

> I am sure there are myriad reasons, but still...

That alone would make them worth riding every once in a while.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by drachen drachen Profile at 2/1/12 1:34:40 PM

> It seems like every single person here is rooting for
> X-Flight over Wild Eagle.. But I still think some minds
> might change after riding both.

I don't know if anyone is "rooting" for X-Flight. It's just that the ride's layout looks so much more interesting the Wild Eagle's.

> 55mph is just not all that
> impressive sounding - Iron Wolf (The ride it's replacing)
> had a max speed of 55mph.. It wasn't that fast or extremely
> fun, and I'm a fan of standups! That's my only concern..
> Montu and medusa go 61mph and they're AMAZING rides. To me,
> it's remarkable how the speed of the ride can make or break
> the experience. Kind of like the anticipation for Cheetah
> Run and then the disappointment...

Eagle will be fun - no doubt. And it is faster, like you said. But what will make X-Flight is those fly-throughs - one of which is through the line's queue. How cool is that? The keyhole fly-through is followed immediately by an inverted support fly-through. That will be quite intense.

I also like how it will dive off of the first drop. There's nothing like that anywhere.

> One last note - I agree that Manta and Tatsu are not even
> remotely close to the supermans - the supermans are kind of
> boring; Manta and Tatsu are fun! I've yet to ride a Vekoma
> Flyer but I want to! Before they all disappear!!!!

They're not going anywhere any time soon. Only three were ever built and all of them still exist. For me, they are worth a spin every once in a while.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/1/12 2:23:27 PM

> They're not going anywhere any time soon. Only three were
> ever built and all of them still exist. For me, they are
> worth a spin every once in a while.

FireHawk/X-Flight and Batwing. Is the other one Stealth/Borg/NightHawk? That's the only one I haven't been on. I happen to prefer Vekomas (for flyers, anyway :)

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/2/12 12:50:39 AM

Remember, I didn't say that Dollywood should've got an invert, but that Wild Eagle's layout is more suitable for an invert given it's ultra-normalcy; In other words, D-wood might as well have builted an invert if they aren't going the innovative route, wholely, and not half-assed, and usually D-wood DON'T half-ass ANYTHING when it comes to being innovative, I hold them to a high standard. So Wild Eagle will have better views than an invert in most of it's seats, except the front row, big whoopty-do! This coaster should've been innovative enough to blow away out of town coaster enthusiasts, and I'm afraid that it wont; Although I'm predicting that most of the GP will love it, and vastly overshadow any critics. That spectacular view is a big plus, but it can only do so much; You can put Wacky Worm on top of a mountain, but it's still just a kiddy coaster; No, I'm not calling Wild Eagle the Wacky Worm coaster, it's just a loosely used analogy.

BTW, My 'bright idea' on what would've made Wild Eagle more innovative?

IMO on the run back too the station, Wild Eagle should remove that corkscrew, and air hill(too commonplace) and add a double barrel roll inside of a keyholed-rustic shack (you've guessed it)'dark tunnel' for the finale. Now that's how you blow someone away.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 2/2/12 1:22:59 AM

new image I found on tumblr of Wild Eagle. awesome pic!

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by KHTOExtreme at 2/2/12 7:06:01 PM

Why do we always bash or trash talk any coaster before it is actually open to the public and people have ridden it in the first place.

For a analogy on the above; When someone starts to talk politics with me I ask them if they voted, if they say yes we can continue the subject if they say no then end of conversation.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/3/12 12:31:32 AM

^^^I was clear to phrase my opinion on the second post as a 'spectulative prediction' FAR from an actual experience. Can anyone have a lil' fun with spectulative opinion about coasters, or we all supposed to be ultra-boring, zombie-like figures with that obligatory conservative 'wait until the coaster opens and ride it' approach? Of course being a zombie and all, you can't take anyone's ride experience opinions into consideration at all without first riding it yourself. No wonder why during the park off-season it's so dead on this site. I don't know about yall, but a coaster POV vid tells me ALOT about a coaster, not everything but alot. I don't expect any magical pixie dust just because I'm seated in a sidecar position on the side of the track esp with that 'standard-style' layout. Even though I haven't ridden Wild Eagle, I've ridden some B&M loopers that 'just take you thru the motions'; Amazingly from the looks of it, the shorter, and slower Wing Rider on flat land doesn't seem to 'just take you thru the motions'. I know that I perturb people with my spectulating outspoken opinions on coasters, but I can help see what my eyes is telling me, and I hope that I'm wrong and Wild Eagle blow every hard core enthusiast away.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by drachen drachen Profile at 2/3/12 10:58:32 AM

> Why do we always bash or trash talk any coaster before it
> is actually open to the public and people have ridden it in
> the first place.

This is simply a thread to discuss the differences between the layouts of the two new wing riders opening this year.

I don't read any "bashing". Most of us simply think that X-Flight's layout looks much better than Wild Eagle's. That's not to say that Wild Eagle will be a bad ride.

At this point in the game, if I have to pick one of the two to ride this year, I'm picking X-Flight because it looks better.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Tomes at 2/3/12 2:21:06 PM

But hopefully this thread stays active when the 2 do open, at which point people can give their experience after having ridden either of the ride, and maybe towards mid-summer we'll get some comparisons from people who have ridden both! I plan to be one of those people :-)

I think it's good to speculate - it gets you even more excited in anticipation for the ride. But like I said before, I doubt Wild Eagle will be less than "pretty awesome". But once, again, just speculations.

But to add even more toward the X-Flight experience, ScreamScape just mentioned this morning even more elements like water jets and fog machines.... Sounds like X-Flight will indeed be more, well, interesting at least. I can't wait :-)

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/3/12 10:20:11 PM

> But hopefully this thread stays active when the 2 do open

Believe me, it will. This is the perfect thread for someone who has ridden both of the Wing Riders.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by frontrow frontrow Profile at 2/4/12 10:13:37 PM

In 2001 my wife and I went to Knoebels to ride The Phoenix, which was ranked in the top 5 of wooden coasters worldwide. When we first latest eyes on the coaster, I thought it looked mediocre at best. Then we rode it. It was an amazing experience. The Phoenix delivered in a way that I didn't think was possible. At that point in time it was the best wooden coaster I've ever ridden.

B&M built 3 similar hypercoasters in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Diamondback was good, Intimadator was really good, and Behemoth was fantastic. Even though the layouts were similar, the ride experiences are totally different.

When you ask someone what is their favorite B&M invert or their favorite B&M floorless, you going to get several different answers for a wide variety of reasons. My kids are always inquisitive about coasters that I have ridden that they have yet to ride. I give a description, but I always tell them "we'll have to go and ride so you can make a proper assessment. We all have different opinions and preferences. You won't know how much a coaster is going to impress you or disappoint you until you ride it.

I'm calling the 2012 season the year of the big 5; Wild Eagle, X Flight, Leviathan, Verbolten, and Skyrush. You can watch all the virtual videos, or study their layouts, or read what enthusiasts are expecting. The bottom line is it's all a mystery until we get out there and experience these coasters ourselves. I can guaranty their will be differences in opinion. The important thing is that we get out there and ride these coasters, so we can have an opinion. Hopefully we can share the experiences with the people closest to us. It gives us something to talk about and creates great memories.

My point is that it isn't relevant which is better. What is important that we get out there and ride these coasters. Then we all can talk about it and enjoy our passion with one another.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/6/12 2:38:40 AM

> In 2001 my wife and I went to Knoebels to ride The Phoenix,
> which was ranked in the top 5 of wooden coasters worldwide.
> When we first latest eyes on the coaster, I thought it
> looked mediocre at best. Then we rode it. It was an amazing
> experience. The Phoenix delivered in a way that I didn't
> think was possible. At that point in time it was the best
> wooden coaster I've ever ridden.

Wooden coasters are so tempermental and unpredictable to spectulate on; I wouldn't touch spectulating a wooden coaster with a ten foot pole. I learned my lesson from Swamp Fox in SC which looked mediocre but was a very good ride with some good air.

> B&M built 3 similar hypercoasters in 2008, 2009, and 2010.
> Diamondback was good, Intimadator was really good, and
> Behemoth was fantastic. Even though the layouts were
> similar, the ride experiences are totally different.

Hypers are very hard to spectulate too; All you see is a series of airhills; some may deliver either ejector, floater, mediocre, or no air at all; You really never know until you ride it. Although, I must say, only from the lack of airhills, I'd be shocked if Leviathan has any very considerable air (hopefully it's okay for me to say that without getting lambasted).

> When you ask someone what is their favorite B&M invert or
> their favorite B&M floorless, you going to get several
> different answers for a wide variety of reasons. My kids
> are always inquisitive about coasters that I have ridden
> that they have yet to ride. I give a description, but I
> always tell them "we'll have to go and ride so you can
> make a proper assessment. We all have different opinions
> and preferences. You won't know how much a coaster is going
> to impress you or disappoint you until you ride it.

Would it be okay if I said 'I told you so' after riding Wild Eagle? :)

> I'm calling the 2012 season the year of the big 5; Wild
> Eagle, X Flight, Leviathan, Verbolten, and Skyrush. You can
> watch all the virtual videos, or study their layouts, or
> read what enthusiasts are expecting. The bottom line is
> it's all a mystery until we get out there and experience
> these coasters ourselves. I can guaranty their will be
> differences in opinion. The important thing is that we get
> out there and ride these coasters, so we can have an
> opinion. Hopefully we can share the experiences with the
> people closest to us. It gives us something to talk about
> and creates great memories.

> My point is that it isn't relevant which is better. What is
> important that we get out there and ride these coasters.
> Then we all can talk about it and enjoy our passion with
> one another.

....and anyone who spectulates on a coaster before it's opening will be subjected to imprisonment. I agree with you about the whole 'which one is better' comparisons; If X-Flight didn't exist, I would still be critical of Wild Eagle's layout.
I'm NOT hijacking this thread by no means, look at the title, X-Flight vs Wild Eagle, which one you think is better, and I explained my opinion. I really didn't wanna spectulate about Wild Eagle any further than I already did on the other thread, and I know how sensitive some of yall can get on URC, and I know how outspoken, and annoying I can be sometimes, but the thread was made, and I couldn't hold in my opinions, sorry. I'll be the first one to tell yall I'm a dummy if it blows everyone away.

IMO everyone just talking (sometimes not agreeing with each's opinions) is a good thing; I dunno about yall, but I rather have a lively and cordial URC, opposed to a zombie-like 'wait until the breaking news' CPR needed 'two posts a day' URC.

Wild Eagle's positive IMO: It looks like it should have good momentum with the tall drop; I'll be surprised if the zero-G roll doesn't deliver air; See, I CAN be positive!(hopefully it's okay to spectulate positively) :)

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by frontrow frontrow Profile at 2/6/12 4:45:55 PM

Here is my priority list for coasters of 2012
1) Leviathan
2) Skyrush
3) X Flight
4) Wild Eagle
5) Verbolten
The important thing is that I get to ride all 5. I'm sure after riding those 5, that order will probably not be the same. Some will be better than I'm expecting and some may disappoint. There's nothing wrong with making predictions. That's how I make that priority list.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Tomes at 2/6/12 4:57:10 PM

I would say Leviathan will stay above Sky Rush after you ride both, but that's a WHOLE other thread ;-)

(No, really, someone should make that into a thread. But let's keep this thread about X-Flight and Wild Eagle... lol)

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Tomes at 5/4/12 3:07:09 PM
So.. Since Six Flags Great America opens tomorrow, and Dollywood is already open, I wanted to resurface this thread and see what people think after riding both.
I originally planned on hitting up both this summer, but I think I may only ride X-flight this summer.
Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/4/12 11:43:35 PM
Does X-Flight actually open tomorrow? I don't believe so.
--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Tomes at 5/5/12 1:23:26 PM
Oh you know what?
You're right! But it does open exclusively to season pass holders on the 18th... So I'll have to try to revive this thread again around that time :-)
Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Calopolus at 5/13/12 10:00:45 PM
Rode X Flight today. Was super smooth. Sat in the farthest rear - right seat. Was open to season pass holders today, I also saw a sign when buying the flash pass that if you buy the ultimite flash pass, you can only ride X flight once for the day.

P.S. - Some poor peeps were stuck on the lift hill of American Eagle for about 2 hours..... They had little frowny faces from what I could see.
And the gift shop by the exit (the one with the Marriott's model of the park circa 1978) Still has some random Iron Wolf stuff. I bought a magnet, fyi.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Calopolus at 5/13/12 10:04:51 PM
Rode X Flight today. Was super smooth. Sat in the farthest rear - right seat. Was open to season pass holders today, I also saw a sign when buying the flash pass that if you buy the ultimite flash pass, you can only ride X flight once for the day.

P.S. - Some poor peeps were stuck on the lift hill of American Eagle for about 2 hours..... They had little frowny faces from what I could see.
And the gift shop by the exit (the one with the Marriott's model of the park circa 1978) Still has some random Iron Wolf stuff. I bought a magnet, fyi.

I am linking a pic, if you notice there isnt much added background as of yet. That brown muck in the background is just that. Bare dirt. Still has that new coaster smell.

X Flight

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by d-lo775 d-lo775 Profile at 5/28/12 11:30:50 PM
Just got back from SFGAm tonight and have now been on both coasters. I enjoyed both very much and could easily see both fitting into my top 30 or so coasters (out of about 200). Of our group of 3 today that have been on both coasters, it was unanimous that we all preferred Wild Eagle over X-Flight. For me X-Flight just seemed much slower (more than 5 mph slower) and not as exciting as the wing coaster on the mountain surrounded by trees. The transitions on W.E. also just seemed to flow together better in my opinion. I did think the keyhole element on X.F. was very cool and wish that Dollywood and/or B&M had added a similar element somewhere in its layout. I definitely think the back row is the place to sit for the best ride on both coasters. Bottom line is I don't think there will be to many disappointed people who ride either or both coasters.

If I have one complaint about the wing coasters it's the restraints. That is more of a personal issue, however, as I'm currently about 275 lbs. with a lot of that being in my upper half. I find that they can be pretty restrictive, somewhat painful at times and if you get stuck on the brake run (like we did today) it can become a little difficult to breath. Once again I doubt this will be a problem for most enthusiasts. But hey, I'm just happy I wasn't regulated to a row 4 or 5 ride in a "big boy" seat like I currently am on B&M floorless and inverts.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/30/12 7:39:42 AM
d-lo775 said:

Just got back from SFGAm tonight and have now been on both coasters. I enjoyed both very much and could easily see both fitting into my top 30 or so coasters (out of about 200). Of our group of 3 today that have been on both coasters, it was unanimous that we all preferred Wild Eagle over X-Flight. For me X-Flight just seemed much slower (more than 5 mph slower) and not as exciting as the wing coaster on the mountain surrounded by trees. The transitions on W.E. also just seemed to flow together better in my opinion. I did think the keyhole element on X.F. was very cool and wish that Dollywood and/or B&M had added a similar element somewhere in its layout. I definitely think the back row is the place to sit for the best ride on both coasters. Bottom line is I don't think there will be to many disappointed people who ride either or both coasters.

If I have one complaint about the wing coasters it's the restraints. That is more of a personal issue, however, as I'm currently about 275 lbs. with a lot of that being in my upper half. I find that they can be pretty restrictive, somewhat painful at times and if you get stuck on the brake run (like we did today) it can become a little difficult to breath. Once again I doubt this will be a problem for most enthusiasts. But hey, I'm just happy I wasn't regulated to a row 4 or 5 ride in a "big boy" seat like I currently am on B&M floorless and inverts.

Thanks for the info. I'm a big guy also, probably the same size as you. I'm planning a midwest trip in early June, which has Six Flags Great American on our list of parks. I was hoping I would fit on X Flight. I had no clue to what the restraints would be or if they installed a big boy seat. After reading your TR I'm pretty confident I'll fit.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Tomes at 6/6/12 11:03:26 PM
Thanks for the info, guys!

I'm 100% not surprised that 3 out of 3 in your group liked Wild Eagle more. If you look up in the thread I predicted it, despite many people's disagreement. 55mph is not very impressive. Of course I'm not implying that the ride isn't fun - it looks extremely fun. But WE's extra speed, extra height and overall pace looks more exciting despite its lack of key-hole elements.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by CarolH at 6/8/12 9:22:41 PM
I have ridden both and while they are both wingriders, they are very different rides. As my husband stated, "It's kind of like comparing Raptor (Wild Eagle) to Batman (X-Flight.)

Wild Eagle's elements are much more spread out & the view is awesome. On X-Flight you are always doing something, being flipped up-side down, going sideways through the keyhole, etc. in a tighter space. Each coaster serves their parks well & they are both great rides!

Which one do I like best? Honestly, I can't really decide.

Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by hendersonbv at 7/8/12 6:22:42 PM
how does the restraints work on wild eagle? I am a big guy but have rode the carolina cobra with the same type of restrasints is wild eagle the same way?? can a big guy ride?
Re: X-Flight Vs. Wild Eagle by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/14/13 11:48:36 PM
I still have yet to ride either of these Wing Rider coasters, but I thought that it was interesting reading Coaster Critics take on them.

www.thecoastercritic.com/2012/11/x-flight-vs-wild-eagle-roller-coaster-showdown.html