Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Koch Family Considering Taking Over Kentucky Kingdom?

Koch Family Considering Taking Over Kentucky Kingdom?

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
1/17/12 at
11:08:48 AM

For what it's worth, here's an article.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120116/NEWS01/301160090

Re: Koch Family Considering Taking Over Kentucky Kingdom? by drachen drachen Profile at 1/17/12 12:03:51 PM

Makes sense to me.

I was in Louisville in October, and drove past the quiet park a number of times. Such a shame to see it sitting there. I'd love to learn that the Koch's reached an agreement to re-open the park.

I can't help but think that the city/state would be willing to foot part of the bill to get the place operational. If only the fair board felt the same way. I get the impression that the board would rather see the place be bull-dozed.

Re: Koch Family Considering Taking Over Kentucky Kingdom? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 1/17/12 3:00:39 PM

> If only the fair board felt the same way. I get the impression
> that the board would rather see the place be bull-dozed.

I get the same commonly held impression.

Re: Koch Family Considering Taking Over Kentucky Kingdom? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/17/12 3:55:49 PM

> If only the fair board felt the same way. I get the
> impression
> that the board would rather see the place be bull-dozed.

> I get the same commonly held impression.

I'm sorry, I don't do impressions.

But that's the sense I get, just from what I've read about the on-going saga of KK.

Incidentally, isn't it strange that two amusement park touchstones with the initials "KK" have encountered such trials and tribulations? Does anyone know how Kozmo's Kurves is holding up in Elysburg?

Mike

Re: Koch Family Considering Taking Over Kentucky Kingdom? by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 1/17/12 7:12:02 PM

> Incidentally, isn't it strange that two amusement park
> touchstones with the initials "KK" have
> encountered such trials and tribulations?

Kingda Ka? (Sorry, Jen, couldn't resist!)

Re: Koch Family Considering Taking Over Kentucky Kingdom? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/7/12 7:43:36 PM

Update: The potential project has a name:

http://www.bluegrassboardwalk.com/

Re: Koch Family Considering Taking Over Kentucky Kingdom? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 2/7/12 10:43:58 PM

As much as I would love to see the Koch's operate the park, I am not sure how successful the park can be. First off, no one should expect simply a different version of HW. HW's naturaly setting, history, and carefully selected rides make it a magical place. KK has many things about it that aren't magical.

KK has never been a tremendously successful park. I know that the Koch's are smart and know what they are doing, to me it just seems like a big risk.

- Pat-O

Re: Koch Family Considering Taking Over Kentucky Kingdom? by drachen drachen Profile at 2/8/12 11:17:23 AM

> As much as I would love to see the Koch's operate the park,
> I am not sure how successful the park can be. First off, no
> one should expect simply a different version of HW. HW's
> naturaly setting, history, and carefully selected rides
> make it a magical place. KK has many things about it that
> aren't magical.

> KK has never been a tremendously successful park. I know
> that the Koch's are smart and know what they are doing, to
> me it just seems like a big risk.

I think it's a great idea, and I hope it happens. I've never been inside Kentucky Kingdom, but from the looks and sounds of things in Louisville, the city wants/needs the place to re-open.

If this works out, the Koch's don't have much risk involved. Holiday World's monetary value has never been higher, and opening another park would not hurt their numbers.

Plus, it sounds as if they have other investors involved. And keeping government funding out is a win for the city, and likely means the Kochs have their financial ducks in a line.

Sure, they draw a large Louiville crowd, but if you tie the two parks together via two-park tickets and season passes, then you gain much more than you lose.

Ultimately, the Koch's have proven to know what they are doing in creating and maintaining a park that guests will visit. I'll trust them here too.

Oh, and I love the name/theme.

Re: Koch Family Considering Taking Over Kentucky Kingdom? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/8/12 12:45:26 PM

> Oh, and I love the name/theme.

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention in my post..I do too, along with the logo.

Mike

Re: Koch Family Considering Taking Over Kentucky Kingdom? by drachen drachen Profile at 2/16/12 3:12:46 PM

Good news out of Louisville...

Looks like this whole thing is likely to happen, expecting to be open for 2013.

Entire Article:

Kentucky State Fair Board president Harold Workman told a Kentucky Senate committee that he expects Kentucky Kingdom to open in May 2013.

WFPL-FM reports that Workman said he is "very confident" that negotiations with the owners of Holiday World to operate the amusement park will be successful.

The Koch family, which owns Holiday World, has formed a company called Bluegrass Boardwalk to negotiate with the fair board, according to the report.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Business First - Kentucky Kingdom