Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > First Scream Machine, Now Bizarro?

First Scream Machine, Now Bizarro?

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
1/16/12 at
9:31:53 AM

This is just an early-stage rumor at this point, but I'm surprised none the less. This according to Screamscape:

"2013 - New Coaster - Rumor - (1/16/12) I’m not sure how true this rumor is just yet, but a couple of e-mails were sent in over the weekend suggesting that Six Flags Great Adventure may be planning on removing BIZARRO (formerly Medusa) and putting it into the Ride Rotation program in exchange for a new B&M coaster, thought to possibly be a new X-Flight style Wing Coaster design. If this comes to pass, look for 2012 to possibly be the last season for Bizarro."

I'm a bit surprised to read this. Medusa/Bizarro is only 13 years old, and is still one of the better steel loopers out there.

It's also a ride that I really associate with Great Adventure, and one of the "Big 5" for me at the park (one of the 5 coasters that I'll gladly wait in line for - Bizarro, El Toro, Batman, Nitro, and now Green Lantern).

I fully expect to see Cedar Point and Great Adventure to add a B&M Wing Rider in 2013. I just don't picture Great Adventure as a landlocked park that needs to remove a coaster to build a new one.

If this rumor is true, it will be the second time in 2 years that they did so. But this time, they wouldn't be removing an aging, maintenance burden like GASM became. They'd be removing a very good, solid ride that is still relatively young.

Though I'm sure Bizarro would end up at another Six Flags park (Six Flags America again?), I will be very surprised and disappointed to see it leave Great Adventure.

Medusa in its earlier, non-super-villain days.

Screamscape - Great Adventure

Re: First Scream Machine, Now Bizarro? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 1/16/12 1:14:23 PM

That would be a shock to see Medusa/Bizarro leave however GAdv seems to have slim pickings as to what they could consider putting in the ride rotation program. I'm sure many would want Dark Knight gone but that's not going to happpen.

Plus within the park Bizarro is somewhat off the beaten path being way back in Frontier Adventures. Could they remove it to not only add a new ride but maybe expand that entire section?

My vote goes to SFStL who needs a big multi-looper like Bizarro. Their only sit down looper is a Vekoma and they haven't had a new large coaster in a long while.

G-Dog (who has Medusa/Bizarro as his favorite floorless)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: First Scream Machine, Now Bizarro? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 1/16/12 1:30:21 PM

From the two posts above where two things mentiond caught my eye...

1. Mayhaps a removal of Bizarro would be due to the fact that there really isn't ever a long wait. At least for me, and I admit I don't go there in "full summer." Parks sometimes do what seems like nutty things to us in order to change the flow of people on pathways, to balance out the place in general.
That's my take on it, industry expert I am not!

2. I would hate to see Bizarro go, it's one of my favorite coasters of all time.* My enjoyment is only enhanced because I usually don't have to wait!

* but they ruined the last row with its rebranding

Mike B.

Re: First Scream Machine, Now Bizarro? by alpengeistno3 at 1/16/12 4:24:16 PM

Well, no way it could be "coming to America", lol. The footprint is way to large, even if they were to remove a ride.

Another neglected park (someone brought up St Louis which sounds like a perfect fit to me, too) would be more likely.

It seems that the "new" Six Flags cap ex plan is that for a park to get a new ride, they have to give up one. SFGram seems have done that for their wing rider. MM gave up Deja Vu for Green Lantern (or possibly for a future larger installation.)

I don't know how much dismantling a perfectly functional coaster to ship to another park saves over just getting one new. Cedar Fair seems to be getting into the same trend. I love Bizarro as a favorite floorless, too, but wouldn't mind seeing a new B&M in its spot. It will kind of hurt Gradv's portfolio as B&M's "unofficial" showcase to no longer have a floorless.

Paul

Re: First Scream Machine, Now Bizarro? by drachen drachen Profile at 1/16/12 6:37:28 PM

> 1. Mayhaps a removal of Bizarro would be due to the fact
> that there really isn't ever a long wait. At least for me,
> and I admit I don't go there in "full summer."

I will agree that it's off the beaten path a bit, but I wouldn't say that the short waits are from a lack of people wanting to ride it. The ride is a people eater with three 30 passenger trains on a medium-length circuit, which, like you, is one of the many reasons I love the ride.

> * but they ruined the last row with its rebranding

So true (and loud).

Re: First Scream Machine, Now Bizarro? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/16/12 7:02:55 PM

I don't like anything about this, hopefully Bizarro won't be going anywhere. Whatta dumb decision that would be to remove a quality Beemer like Bizarro. What's up with that dumb "Ride exchange program?" Hey, I got better idea, it's called a road trip, or roundtrip plane ticket! No wonder why so many parks don't have any identity; Most SF parks are lacking identity as it is! Like I said, I don't like anything about this, from SF's 'Ride exchange program' to the Bizarro removal rumor; Hopefully some sense will get through the heads of SF's brass, and Bizarro will be staying put at SFGAvd.

Re: First Scream Machine, Now Bizarro? by drachen drachen Profile at 1/16/12 7:06:28 PM

> Well, no way it could be "coming to America",
> lol. The footprint is way to large, even if they were to
> remove a ride.

Looking at Google Earth, don't you think SFA has more than enough room? When I think of SFA, I think of wide open, undeveloped spaces. There looks to be room behind ROAR, Superman, and Batwing, or even up towards the train station. I understand utilities would need to be run to wherever the coaster ended up, but that would all be part of a park expansion anyway.

> Another neglected park (someone brought up St Louis which
> sounds like a perfect fit to me, too) would be more likely.

That's a good fit too, but they have less undeveloped land, don't you think?

> MM
> gave up Deja Vu for Green Lantern (or possibly for a future
> larger installation.)

Hey, maybe Magic Mountain will get Bizarro...

> I don't know how much dismantling a perfectly functional
> coaster to ship to another park saves over just getting one
> new. Cedar Fair seems to be getting into the same trend.

It saves a ton of money. $0 in design costs. Cost of steel/materials is either $0 or pennies on the dollar, depending on the arrangement between parks or how the parent company accounts for things. Sometimes deconstruction is paid for. You're on the hook for shipping and reconstruction, two things you have to pay for on a new ride anyway.

Truth is, I'd rather see a ride relocated than completely removed.

> I
> love Bizarro as a favorite floorless, too, but wouldn't
> mind seeing a new B&M in its spot. It will kind of hurt
> Gradv's portfolio as B&M's "unofficial" showcase
> to no longer have a floorless.

I know there was thread dedicated to this last year. I think it's pretty cool that Great Adventure has so many B&M coasters. I'd love to visit one park and experience everything the best coaster design company in the world has to offer.

I hope they keep Bizarro, add their wing rider next year, and add a dive machine after that.

Re: First Scream Machine, Now Bizarro? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 1/16/12 7:47:23 PM

> Looking at Google Earth, don't you think SFA has more than
> enough room?

Don't count on it. They are getting Apocolypse and I don't forsee back to back coasters there.

> That's a good fit too, but they have less undeveloped land,
> don't you think?

They can always remove Ninja to make room or use the area just beyond Tidal Wave (I think it's the park's graveyard).

> Hey, maybe Magic Mountain will get Bizarro...

Actually instead of possibly removing Bizarro at GAdv Magic Mountain should have offered Scream for a ride rotation candidate over Deja Vu.

Re: First Scream Machine, Now Bizarro? by alpengeistno3 at 1/16/12 8:04:28 PM

> Well, no way it could be "coming to America",
> lol. The footprint is way to large, even if they were to
> remove a ride.

> Looking at Google Earth, don't you think SFA has more than
> enough room? When I think of SFA, I think of wide open,
> undeveloped spaces. There looks to be room behind ROAR,
> Superman, and Batwing, or even up towards the train
> station. I understand utilities would need to be run to
> wherever the coaster ended up, but that would all be part
> of a park expansion anyway.

Lots of room back there, yes, but there are three problems.

1. That area is part of the barrier between the residential neighborhoods and the park. I seriously doubt the park will be allowed to touch anything beyond its current footprint.

2. The current pathways do not leave any way to loop the area into the parks flow. If they put a ride back behind Roar, they would have to either remove the rapids ride or build a bridge over it or put a whole lot of tunnels under Roar/Apocalypse (not sure how that will fit in, but there was only a small path back there.

3. Bizarro has a HUGE triangle shaped footprint from the immelmann to the cobra roll to the interlocking corks. No way that would fit between Mind Eraser and Superman, even if SFA got the approval. A more compact design like NE's Dark Knight would be a far better fit.
> Another neglected park (someone brought up St Louis which
> sounds like a perfect fit to me, too) would be more likely.

> That's a good fit too, but they have less undeveloped land,
> don't you think?

I've never been, so I don't know, but it would fit their line-up.

> MM
> gave up Deja Vu for Green Lantern (or possibly for a future
> larger installation.)

Now that would be ironic. Maybe they could build it next to Scream ala Animal Kingdom's Primeval Whirl, lol!!

> I don't know how much dismantling a perfectly functional
> coaster to ship to another park saves over just getting one
> new. Cedar Fair seems to be getting into the same trend.

> It saves a ton of money. $0 in design costs. Cost of
> steel/materials is either $0 or pennies on the dollar,
> depending on the arrangement between parks or how the
> parent company accounts for things. Sometimes
> deconstruction is paid for. You're on the hook for shipping
> and reconstruction, two things you have to pay for on a new
> ride anyway.

How do you figure getting a crew to deconstruct a ride that was erected as a "permanent" attraction could be covered? You essentially have to reverse everything that you did to erect it in the first place, with the added difficulty of taking it apart in a way that will not damage it so you can erect it again. Not a problem on the German Fair circuit as those rides were designed for easy assembly/disassembly, but a permanent-site attraction that hasn't been disassembled in 13 years has got to be a little stiff, requiring more man-hours, ie, more $$$.

Shipping could also be an issue, depending how far you have to send it. A cross country trip for 30-50 trucks of roller coaster can't be a cheap undertaking, new or used. Plus, the "giving" has to re-purpose the land for something. I guess the cost is added to the cost of the new attraction, which would not require cutting trees, but removing footers for a large ride like Bizarro is probably just as labor intensive as cutting down some trees in a similar sized site.

I hope they keep Bizarro, add their wing rider next year,
> and add a dive machine after that.

Best case scenario, but if a large coaster in a wide open area had to go, I'd rather it be Bizarro than say Nitro or El Toro, or building a micro version in order to squeeze into an existing site. Maybe they could scrap the whole Gotham city area (who needs a Batman, let alone 2 of them nowadays!)

Paul

*I forgot. If moving Bizarro to another park is the only way to have the god-awful sound system removed and the back row restored, I am willing to make the sacrifice for the good of the entire coaster community :)

Re: First Scream Machine, Now Bizarro? by drachen drachen Profile at 1/16/12 10:15:23 PM

> Lots of room back there, yes, but there are three problems.

I'm not as familiar with the politics and zoning in Largo as you may be. It just seems to me that the park has a lot of room for expansion and development. Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing this coaster stay close to home, if indeed it is leaving Great Adventure.

> Now that would be ironic. Maybe they could build it next to
> Scream ala Animal Kingdom's Primeval Whirl, lol!!

That's exactly what I had in mind. Old Six Flags may have considered it... New Six Flags seems to have their whits more about them.

> How do you figure getting a crew to deconstruct a ride that
> was erected as a "permanent" attraction could be
> covered? You essentially have to reverse everything that
> you did to erect it in the first place, with the added
> difficulty of taking it apart in a way that will not damage
> it so you can erect it again.

Sometimes, when a park is looking to sell a coaster, they agree to pay for the deconstruction. That way all the new park needs to do is "pick it up". I would imagine in this case, that the new Six Flags park would not have to pay for the deconstruction of this ride.

> Shipping could also be an issue, depending how far you have
> to send it. A cross country trip for 30-50 trucks of roller
> coaster can't be a cheap undertaking, new or used.

Definitely not cheap. But again, the park pays for the shipping of a new coaster too.

> Plus,
> the "giving" has to re-purpo