Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Events Affecting Early-Season Crowds at KD

Events Affecting Early-Season Crowds at KD

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
1/8/12 at
2:28:33 PM

I'm in the very early stages of determining whether I'll hit KD in April to meet my friend Debby and son Zach for his birthday. The weekend before and after his actual birthday, there are cheerleading/dance competitions/events. I've run into those at other parks, notably SFA where the event did affect the wait times. Does anyone know what kind of turnout they get for these types of gatherings at KD, and how much they affect wait times?

Deb's also looking into when Zach has Spring Break, but I doubt I'd make it the week after Easter..already took off the Thursday and Friday before Easter..Opening Day at GAdv, followed by recuperation, then back there on Easter.

Incidentally, I found out something interesting. The last several years, whatever crowd there was on Easter was partially due to the Chol Hamoed Jewish Community Group, even though, until last year, the park was only otherwise open to Season Passholders. Last year, Hamoed's numbers were very small. The interesting thing is that this year, Chol Hamoed Family Fun Days start the day AFTER Easter, the 9th. I figure there'll be even fewer..if any..members of that group there on Easter.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Events Affecting Early-Season Crowds at KD by alpengeistno3 at 1/8/12 9:19:09 PM

> I'm in the very early stages of determining whether I'll
> hit KD in April to meet my friend Debby and son Zach for
> his birthday. The weekend before and after his actual
> birthday, there are cheerleading/dance competitions/events.
> I've run into those at other parks, notably SFA where the
> event did affect the wait times. Does anyone know what kind
> of turnout they get for these types of gatherings at KD,
> and how much they affect wait times?

The cheer and dance crowds are small (anywhere from 8-20 girls per group.) Nothing to even cause a dent in attendance, so you have nothing to worry about. Now, the Music in the Parks events held from late April- early June where you have bands and choirs packing 50-300 musicians plus chaperones, that is some thing to be concerned about (and to try to avoid.)

> Deb's also looking into when Zach has Spring Break, but I
> doubt I'd make it the week after Easter..already took off
> the Thursday and Friday before Easter..Opening Day at GAdv,
> followed by recuperation, then back there on Easter.

Spring Break is rarely bad, even on the weekends unless the weather is EXCEPTIONALLY nice. Most Virginians just aren't in amusement park going mode that early (no waterpark).

Paul

Re: Events Affecting Early-Season Crowds at KD by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 1/8/12 9:43:35 PM

I agree with everything Paul said.

He nailed it.

I love KD in April because the crowds are usually light on the weekends.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Events Affecting Early-Season Crowds at KD by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/9/12 10:17:38 AM

Thanks to both of you gentlemen.

Mike

Re: Events Affecting Early-Season Crowds at KD by frontrow frontrow Profile at 1/9/12 5:00:52 PM

My senior year in high school (1994), we actually competed in a marching band competition at Kings Dominion. It was a weekend in early May. The lines were manageable. 20 minutes for Shockwave, Anaconda, and The Grizzly. The longest line was for The Hurler, but it was the new coaster. You shouldn't have a problem.

Re: Events Affecting Early-Season Crowds at KD by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/11/12 4:32:21 PM

Now planning this sojourn for weekend of April 21-22. Requested vacation days on Friday 20th and Monday 23rd. Likely Saturday at KD, SFA on the way home Sunday. I considered driving down after leaving GAdv Easter Sunday, but I've pretty much scrapped that idea..

Mike

Re: Events Affecting Early-Season Crowds at KD by alpengeistno3 at 1/11/12 7:10:18 PM

> Now planning this sojourn for weekend of April 21-22.
> Requested vacation days on Friday 20th and Monday 23rd.
> Likely Saturday at KD, SFA on the way home Sunday. I
> considered driving down after leaving GAdv Easter Sunday,
> but I've pretty much scrapped that idea..

> Mike

Cool. Are looking for company this time or is this another family tour? I can be down to Doswell in 1 hr. 20 mins.

Paul