Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Coaster Judgment Day

Coaster Judgment Day

alpengeistno3

Posted:
1/5/12 at
8:08:45 PM

My banter with Mike in the other thread got me thinking of a fun topic.

Imagine, your home park is closing and all the rides are getting scrapped (maybe this isn't so fun after all, but bear with me.) Which coasters have earned the right to enter the "pearly gates" and which have committed such sins to deserve to meet "eternal damnation" in you-know-where?

I'll do KD since I haven't paid to set foot in SFA for 2 years now.

I-305- after a really evil 1st year of being the most violent coaster on earth, to being neutered to near nothingness, has repented of its ways to be a very solid ride and hands down the best in the Commonwealth.
Verdict- Heaven

Dominator- despite not having a zero-G roll and being a used coaster, is the star attraction of the new direction of the CF-led Kings Dominion. It certainly has earned redemption from it's lingering at Geagua Lake.
Verdict- Heaven

Volcano- it is short, monotonous with the 3 barrel rolls and little else to it's layout and the anti-climatic "drop into the brakes" leaves you wishing for more, but Volcano's 2nd launch out the top of the mountain with feet dangling is a good enough to earn it's spot.
Verdict- Heaven

Anaconda- I'm a Toomer fan, but all the poor women and innocent children who whelp in pain coming out of the horrible ill-conceived butterfly turn (doesn't even deserve to be called a loop as you are never inverted during it). I love Conda on a busy day as there is rarely a line, but I'm sorry my friend, I can't save you from your sins.
Verdict- Hell

Flight of Fear- what a redemption story. From being a cold blooded killer when the OTSR's were used (what else could you call a ride the beats people up in the dark? You couldn't even see it coming!) to one of the most intense indoor attractions (when the block brake used to run completely open) to a still solid winner nowadays, FOF deserves to enter heaven.

Avalanche- what it lacks in capacity (thanks to KD squandering all but 2 of its 4 trains for parts), it makes up for in just fun. Avalanche is far from the best ride in the park, but you can't help giggling as you reenter the station.
Verdict- heaven

I'll come back to this later to deal with the rest of the park. (There is definitely some "hell" to pay over there!!) Feel free to add your own or try to argue your own case.

Paul

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 1/5/12 9:46:25 PM

Backlot Stunt Coaster -aka: Italian Job
Fun little ride with nice moments of fun, good theming = overall hard not to love it.
Heaven.

Hurler
Rough ride, terrible screeching sounds at the corners. Not even MF trains can save it.
Burn the timber and send it to Hell.

Rebel Yell
Wood coasters are not my favs, but being a simple out and back coaster with nice air time... I guess it's alright. I think if it ran cars that had 2 rows rather than 3 rows, it would be a little bit better.
Heaven, barely.

Richocet
Fun mouse coaster, slightly different layout compared to the others, so some plus for that.
Purgatory, not quite heaven, not quite hell.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 1/5/12 10:12:09 PM

Six Flags Great Adventure

I'll take some and not all and be nice ;)

Nitro - you have given me well over 600 rides of pure enjoyment. Your line moves nice and smoothly even though your stairs are cluttered with morons that don't know how to stay to their left and let me get in the coveted back row. Nitro has the length, scenery, speed, and smoothness of a coaster bound for the pearly gates. Verdict - Heaven or some place higher.

Bizarro...er olden days Medusa - Once a neon green coaster that I enjoyed walking to you have now been corporatized (like my word?) into a giant one color piece of scrap metal. It's so sad to say that this coaster used to be my 3rd favorite in the park and a ride I would gladly wait 45 minutes for. Now I just hope the sound is broken. Verdict - Hell

Superman Ultimate Flight - It's a smooth ride, speed is meh, and the idea is cool. But, there are like 3 of these things scattered about and you are old news. 2003 is well....so 2003. Not only that but the que to get to this yawn fest is too long.
Verdict - Hell

El Toro - You lovely beast! no pun intended! The speed, the smoothness, the intensity. Not many wood coasters can match or even come close to what The Bull offers.
Verdict - Heaven

- mugen828

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/6/12 8:42:17 AM

Well, Dark Kni...

Nah, that's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I'd reserve a spot in Purgatory for most of GAdv's coasters not covered by Mugen above. That is, they'd probably make it into Heaven, but there'd be a waiting period.

Mike

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by alpengeistno3 at 1/6/12 8:56:11 PM

Thanks for helping me finish up KD, Phil. I agree with most of your assessments except Ricochet. It boasts a tall drop for the beginning of the ride, but beyond the initial switchbacks, it just pewters out. I don't feel right condemning kiddie rides (noticed I skipped Scooby Doo in the front end of the park), but since Ricochet has that initial drop, I don't think they were thinking "kiddie ride" when they put it in.
Burn, you pitiful Mouse!!

Grizzly- great first drop with a turn that on most coasters would seem as boring as a block brake. I feel like on Griz, it really builds the anticipation before "all hell breaks loose"!
Verdict- heaven

Shockwave- slow loading due to awkward restraints, slowest lift next to some Schwartzkopf creations (but doesn't have the excuse of using a common "dog chain"), a short basic layout that make an old arrow corkscrew seem more exciting. After you get over the headshot you take on the standup bunny hills and 3-5 minute wait on the block brake, make this ride burn!
Verdict- hell

Hypersonic XLC- Oh yeah, I went there. Normally, I find a way to enjoy something about every coaster. I can't find anything redeeming about XLC as it was such a chore to get a ride. Even on the slowest days, the ride would regularly have a 30 minute or more wait. And actually getting your ride was a game of Russian Roulette with the amount of constant downtime. Sure it had a strong launch, but the 30 ft launch track before heading skyward did not allow you any time to experience any of it. It is gone, may it burn in hell forever!!

Paul

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/6/12 10:15:51 PM

> Six Flags Great Adventure

> I'll take some and not all and be nice ;)

A SFGAdv list without mentioning KDK??? With Ka's imposing height, it literally goes to heaven, so I guess that was without say. :)

Even though Hades has good reviews, it has to go to hell doesn't it? :)

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by frontrow frontrow Profile at 1/6/12 10:49:25 PM

Home Park: Kennywood
Little Dipper (my first coaster): This junior woodie is already up stairs, waiting for me and Judy P to ride it again.
Racer and Jackrabbit: These 2 have coaster immortality. If they were to perish, they would become saints or guardian angles of classic coasters.
Thunderbolt: The Pipen had to die in order for it to be born. It has lived a good life and has always honored the sacrifice The Pipen made for it's existence. Heaven for sure.
Exterminator: Promised a unique coaster ride, but deceived us. It turned out to be a spinning mouse in the dark. Hell for the deception.
Sky Rocket: Just an innocent baby. To young to be accountable for it's faults. Heaven for now, but must continue it's twisted, inverted path.
Phantoms Revenge: Forced out the man of the house (Steel Phantom). Not only did it take the house, but it it tried to run the house the same way, at least half way. Just because it was younger and better looking, it thought it could make everyone fall in love with it and forget about the man it replaced. Dammed to Hell for sure.

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by alpengeistno3 at 1/7/12 1:20:18 AM

Mugen, I agree with all of yours except Bizarro. Despite its trip to the "dark side", as long as the wait for the back row is not longer than the other queues, it is still a great ride. I'll give it purgatory until we see if the awful audio will continue to malfunction (usually doesn't work in the back anyway).

Kingda Ka- one trick pony, but it is one heck of a trick. As long as it is still a walk-on in the evening and stays somewhat reliable, it can enter the pearly gates.

Skull Mountain- I bet it was as cruel a joke as Dark Knight back in 1996 when it opened, but may enter heaven only because it has a unique layout with some decent laterals in the back.

Runaway Train- probably one of the best mine trains Arrow put out back in the 70's. It is a joke now, but I can't condemn it for that. Plus, they replaced the awful single position metal lap bars that required me to put my kneecaps on the floorboard to get it locked. Verdict- heaven, barely.

Rolling Thunder- oh, where to start. Potholes at the bottom of the big drops, jackhammering on the small drops, screeching around the turns (and we won't even talk about that last turn before station. A mix of all 3!!) Send that sucker to BURN!!

Viper- not only did you get beat up along the course, but it even gave you a parting shot before reentering the station. Mean, evil ride that deserved to be put down and may it continue to burn in hell!

GASM- Probably in the same category as Anaconda, but at least GASM had enough intense moments to justify taking the beating. You may be scrap now, but hopefully you and Drachen Fire are both in a special corner heaven for the "real" thrill seekers to enjoy.

Chiller- way too short, but once the lapbars were put in, the trip backwards through the barrel rolls were worth the trouble. If you can find your removed rolls, you may enter. Otherwise, you must be condemned to hell as Batman never worked and Robin was nothing but a boomerang without the vertical loop.

Green Lantern didn't have enough of a resume at Gradv for me to judge it (I only got 1 "real" ride in the back row due to my traveling companions' insisting to ride in the front.) At KK, it was meh, good, but nothing great. Purgatory, for now.

Paul

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 1/7/12 5:22:17 AM

Hey ill do Six Flags St. Louis.

So first since its at the front if the park will be Batman The Ride. Now yes its fun and I love going on it but it got old after awhile and the majority of Six Flags parks have it in their park even if its a different name. So sorry Batman your going to hell.

Now comes for what used to be Evil Knievel but then they changed the name to American Thunder. Now when this firat opened I was very dissapointed with it because it didn't have the drops that others had in the park but it seemed like the more I rode it the more I enjoyed it. And the line is never very long. The longest I've ever waited is about 20 minutes and that is the busiest day of the year nonetheless so American Thunder shall go to heaven.

Now Ninja. Now this is one of my favorite coasters in the park. One day I rode it like 15 times without getting off. There's that little of a line for it. Even on the busiest days you sometimes don't have to get off. But everyone in my family and most people who ride it complain about how jerky it is. Now I love the jerkiness but most people don't so Ninja is going to hell.

Now these next few aren't coasters but I'm gonna list them anyways.

So next comes Excaliber. If you don't know what it is then its pretty much a giant wheel that spins you at about 45 miles per hour while flipping you upside down. Now I enjoy it but Six Flags did not place it very well. It's placed right next to a turkey leg shop. The spinning mixed with the turkey legs makes me extremley nausaus, sorry if I spelled it wrong. So Excaliber can goto hell.

Next I will do the new swings that were put in this year. I will start by saying the first time you ride it its fun if there is no wait. But the majority of the time there's like an hour wait and it'll go through once before breaking down. Out if the three times I went this year it was open maybe enough for 5 trips. So you can go to hell for all eternity.

Now for Superman Tower Of Power. This is one of the best rides in the park. Yes I've never seen it have a wait less than an hour and a half but.its so worth it everytime. So Superman can go to Heaven.

Now for Screaming Eagle. This is one of the firat coasters I ever went on. Now if you ride this nowadays you get so much air time. It's definitly a classic out and back that I will never forget. It.also has a great firat drop.and second drop and third drop. So The Eagle can go to heaven.

River King Mine Train. Now this is a fun ride if you can remember it wasn't made to be real thrilling. The only thing was back I think in the early 80s it was made a standup for 2 years until a lady died on it. So since you do kill someone your going to hell even though since the stand up.cars were taken off there have been no injuries.

Now I'm saving the best 2 for last. First will come Mr. Freeze. Now Mr. Freeze is so much fun. I remember before I went on it I was scared to death if it. The only reason I even went on it is because my dad told me wed go to Six Flags Chicago if I did. Now he never now he never took me but I'm happy I went on it cause that 70 mile per hour launch is nice in the middle of summer. And the line isn't real bad usually. So Freeze is going to heaven.

Now comes The Boss. This is my favorite coaster in the park. From the second you leave the station until you drop down that huge first drop. The drops don't get that much smaller until the end of the ride. It's jerky but but not so bad its unbearable. Now if come to Six Flags St. Louis and can only ride one coaster this should be it. It's two and half minutes long and its exciting all the way until the break run. The line usually isn't too long but it does get annoying if your waiting for the front because flash pass users like to take your spot. But that is only one flaw in a near flawless ride. The boss will get to go to heaven.

Now I hope you all agree with me but if not then I'm sorry

Brandon C

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/7/12 7:05:47 AM

> Green Lantern didn't have enough of a resume at Gradv for
> me to judge it (I only got 1 "real" ride in the
> back row due to my traveling companions' insisting to ride
> in the front.) > Paul

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis??

And while enjoy reading the thoughts about rides that are already gone, I think it defeats the purpose of your original post, in that WE are not making the Heaven or Hell decision. It's already made, even if we do not know the result.

But hey, we're just having fun, so WTF!

Mike, who would be glad to ride even a Hell-bound coaster right now..

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/7/12 11:27:12 AM

> Shockwave- slow loading due to awkward restraints, slowest
> lift next to some Schwartzkopf creations (but doesn't have
> the excuse of using a common "dog chain"), a
> short basic layout that make an old arrow corkscrew seem
> more exciting. After you get over the headshot you take on
> the standup bunny hills and 3-5 minute wait on the block
> brake, make this ride burn!
> Verdict- hell

I dunno about Shockwave's restraints being awkward, but they certainly are comfortable; It's definitely not a thrill looper buy no means, but I wouldn't expect that from one of the oldest Togo stand-ups in the US, that's basically a facsimile to King Cobra. In terms of comfort, Togo's stand up seats are like a Sealy Posturepedic mattress, compared to the B&M stand up's medieval torture devices.

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by alpengeistno3 at 1/7/12 1:24:00 PM

> in the front.) > Paul

> Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis??

You know, "the front of the bus, the front of the bus, the front of the bus SUCKS!!!!!"

> And while enjoy reading the thoughts about rides that are
> already gone, I think it defeats the purpose of your
> original post, in that WE are not making the Heaven or Hell
> decision. It's already made, even if we do not know the
> result.

You're probably right, Mike. It is so rude to publicly speculate whether ones dearly departed "loved ones" have gone to heaven or hell. But so is speculating on the "living" (unless you are a preacher). Just call me a minister of coasterdom and it's all good :)

> But hey, we're just having fun, so WTF!

Exactly :)

Paul

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by alpengeistno3 at 1/7/12 1:35:12 PM

> Shockwave- slow loading due to awkward restraints, slowest
> lift next to some Schwartzkopf creations (but doesn't have
> the excuse of using a common "dog chain"), a
> short basic layout that make an old arrow corkscrew seem
> more exciting. After you get over the headshot you take on
> the standup bunny hills and 3-5 minute wait on the block
> brake, make this ride burn!
> Verdict- hell

> I dunno about Shockwave's restraints being awkward, but
> they certainly are comfortable; It's definitely not a
> thrill looper buy no means, but I wouldn't expect that from
> one of the oldest Togo stand-ups in the US, that's
> basically a facsimile to King Cobra. In terms of comfort,
> Togo's stand up seats are like a Sealy Posturepedic
> mattress, compared to the B&M stand up's medieval torture
> devices.

You must not have tried to ride that many times in the back. I still see various people struggle to figure out how to get in the restraints. Let's break it down. You have a lap bar that is spring loaded, so you have to hold it open to get behind it. You have shoulder restraints that don't open all the way, so you either have to slide behind them one arm at a time or pull a chicken wing to get both arm in (even more awkward if you have someone riding next to you trying to do the same). You have a seat belt to buckle across your chest instead of across your waist.

Plus, if you have been little or know someone little, when you hold onto the handles, the restraints automatically close tighter. Instead of closing on your shoulders, like traditional restraints, they close on your head. My little 11 year old brother would always come back to the station encaged behind the restraints because he would involuntarily squeeze on them during the more brutal parts at the end.

Are they more comfortable than B&M's "jumbo seats"? Yes, but not comfortable enough to justify the 5 minutes you wind up standing on the brake run waiting for the other train to clear because everyone is still trying to figure out how to get in.

Paul

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/7/12 2:02:38 PM

> in the front.) > Paul

> You know, "the front of the bus, the front of the bus,
> the front of the bus SUCKS!!!!!"

Oh. Somehow or other I thought you were talking about Me, Jen, and Gee. My bad. ;)

Just call me a minister of coasterdom and it's
> all good :)

OK, you're a M.O.C!

Mike

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by alpengeistno3 at 1/7/12 4:03:55 PM

> in the front.) > Paul

> You know, "the front of the bus, the front of the bus,
> the front of the bus SUCKS!!!!!"

> Oh. Somehow or other I thought you were talking about Me,
> Jen, and Gee. My bad. ;)

I seem to remember being the only one to head for the back for our 2nd ride. Something about "roughness". Sound familiar? :)

Paul

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 1/7/12 5:02:16 PM

Since my home park has already passed on I'll pick the other one - Cedar Point. Since it is a long list I'll just post what should go to Heaven.

Maverick
Millennium Force
Raptor
Magnum
Wicked Twister
Blue Streak

What, no Dragster? It's already hurt people once by shredding its cable so it should go to hell. ;-)

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 1/7/12 6:13:05 PM

Naturally, I'll do Michigan's Adventure...

Mad Mouse: One of the last Arrow Mice with surprising pops of airtime and nice strong laterals that are unfortunately killed by block brakes by the time you get to the third switchback. It also broke down my first 'ride' once I had already been strapped in, and for that, ye shall go to hell!

Corkscrew: Simple, fun, not too head-bangy. Not to forget the double ride I got when the ride-op in training didn't stop the train in time. And it was the coaster that took Michigan's Adventure from petting zoo to amusement park! Destination: Heaven.

Wolverine Wildcat: Great setting on the lake, good airtime, and a pretty cool layout. This cat's one of the few coasters that brakes the stereotypical painful ride typical of Dinn coasters. Heaven for sure.

Thunderhawk: If personal experience can come into play here, Thunderhawk goes to heaven. My first ever short marathon on a coaster unexpectedly came on this. You really get thrown through the inversions, and it's intense throughout. From what I've heard, it's much smoother than at its previous home at Geauga Lake. Is the reputation of other Vekoma SLC's poor enough to drag Thunderhawk to hell? I don't think so. I'll be kicking the sky in heaven.

Shivering Timbers: Enough airtime that the trains try to launch themselves to the clouds on every hill! Complimented by an intense helix, some nifty (fast!) trick track, and an amazingly rough ride that hurts so good! HEAVEN!

I've got one more thing I'd like to send down to the depths. The landscaping/scenery (or lack thereof)! Burn it all! At least what little of it is there! No shade, no gardens, the lake is usually filthy and Shivering Timbers even runs next to the parking lot, making for slightly less than a cool view. At least let the landscape grow on the opposite side! Shame on Cedar Fair for having a park with such potential to be beautiful that is so ignored! It really ticks me off. Stepping down from the soapbox.

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by alpengeistno3 at 1/7/12 6:30:08 PM

> Since my home park has already passed on I'll pick the
> other one - Cedar Point. Since it is a long list I'll just
> post what should go to Heaven.

> Maverick
> Millennium Force
> Raptor
> Magnum
> Wicked Twister
> Blue Streak

> What, no Dragster? It's already hurt people once by
> shredding its cable so it should go to hell. ;-)

>

GD, Nice short list. CP has always shown that quantity does not equal quality. What about Gemini? Other than posing as a wooden coaster, what did it do to deserve condemnation?

Paul

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by alpengeistno3 at 1/7/12 6:38:39 PM

> Home Park: Kennywood
> Little Dipper (my first coaster): This junior woodie is
> already up stairs, waiting for me and Judy P to ride it
> again.
> Racer and Jackrabbit: These 2 have coaster immortality. If
> they were to perish, they would become saints or guardian
> angles of classic coasters.
> Thunderbolt: The Pipen had to die in order for it to be
> born. It has lived a good life and has always honored the
> sacrifice The Pipen made for it's existence. Heaven for
> sure.
> Exterminator: Promised a unique coaster ride, but deceived
> us. It turned out to be a spinning mouse in the dark. Hell
> for the deception.
> Sky Rocket: Just an innocent baby. To young to be
> accountable for it's faults. Heaven for now, but must
> continue it's twisted, inverted path.
> Phantoms Revenge: Forced out the man of the house (Steel
> Phantom). Not only did it take the house, but it it tried
> to run the house the same way, at least half way. Just
> because it was younger and better looking, it thought it
> could make everyone fall in love with it and forget about
> the man it replaced. Dammed to Hell for sure.

Frontrow, harsh words for the Kennywood steelies! I liked Exterminator since even though it was a stock Crazy Mouse, it really didn't feel like one with Kennywood's (at the time) excellent theming. Has that gone South since 2004?

Phantom surprised me. Most around here believe it one of the most airtime filled hypers in the country. I was impressed by the gorgeous views and some of the ending hops. Just felt like it was too short and ended once it got going. I'd definitely send it to heaven.

Racer and Jack Rabbit both suck for their ride experiences, but get in on nostalgia. Thunderbolt is damned only because of the stupid no single rider rule, so I have never got the front or back seat either time I've been there.

Haven't done Sky Rocket, so I can't say. Word on the street is that it could be more but is acceptable.

Paul

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/8/12 5:28:11 AM

> You must not have tried to ride that many times in the
> back. I still see various people struggle to figure out how
> to get in the restraints. Let's break it down. You have a
> lap bar that is spring loaded, so you have to hold it open
> to get behind it. You have shoulder restraints that don't
> open all the way, so you either have to slide behind them
> one arm at a time or pull a chicken wing to get both arm in
> (even more awkward if you have someone riding next to you
> trying to do the same). You have a seat belt to buckle
> across your chest instead of across your waist.

> Plus, if you have been little or know someone little, when
> you hold onto the handles, the restraints automatically
> close tighter. Instead of closing on your shoulders, like
> traditional restraints, they close on your head. My little
> 11 year old brother would always come back to the station
> encaged behind the restraints because he would
> involuntarily squeeze on them during the more brutal parts
> at the end.

> Are they more comfortable than B&M's "jumbo
> seats"? Yes, but not comfortable enough to justify the
> 5 minutes you wind up standing on the brake run waiting for
> the other train to clear because everyone is still trying
> to figure out how to get in.

> Paul

Fair enough. Paul, you sound like you've ridden Shockwave many times; I only rode it once. Although there's alot of Beemer stand-ups that have boring layout too, like Vortex(Carowinds), and GA Cyclone; The one B&M stand up I've ridden that has a decent layout is the painful Mantis.

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by alpengeistno3 at 1/8/12 1:48:51 PM

> Fair enough. Paul, you sound like you've ridden Shockwave
> many times; I only rode it once.

Once should have been enough. In my younger, crazier days, I rode it 12 times in a row, just to say I could. (I think that was the same year I rode Flight of Fear 20 times in a row, with the OTSR restraints, so I was a glutton for punishment.

Although there's alot of
> Beemer stand-ups that have boring layout too, like
> Vortex(Carowinds), and GA Cyclone; The one B&M stand up
> I've ridden that has a decent layout is the painful Mantis.

I assume you meant GA Scorcher, but we agree. The standup is the one design that B&M has not been able to improve upon (ironically, it is their 1st.)

Paul

>

Re: Coaster Judgment Day by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 1/8/12 7:46:57 PM

> > GD, Nice short list. CP has always shown that quantity
> does not equal quality. What about Gemini? Other than
> posing as a wooden coaster, what did it do to deserve
> condemnation?

> Paul

Other than the good first drop Gemini has become a little boring to me. It doesn't really deserve to be in heaven nor does it deserve to be in hell. I guess it will be that spirit stuck between both worlds.

G-Dog