Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Coasters That Got Away...

The Coasters That Got Away...

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
1/4/12 at
7:39:29 PM

The board has been a bit stagnant of late, and I had been thinking posing this question for a while now.

Over the years of traveling to experience new parks and coasters, there have been a number of rides that I was anticipating, but was unable to ride for whatever reason.

I refer to these as "the coasters that got away". These coasters reside at parks that would really take some time and effort to get to, and are not close to home.

They can be coasters that have since been removed from the park since your last visit, or simply coasters that you unintentionally left on the table during a visit.

My list looks like this:

Gwazi, Busch Gardens Tampa.

For some reason, on my visit in June of 2005, both Gwazi coasters were down for the day. Odd for June, even at a year-round park. Still sticks in my craw.

Orient Express, Worlds of Fun.

I visited in April of 2003. I was disappointed to not ride the Arrow ride, as an admitted Arrow Fan. This ride looked to have a few good elements too. Upon leaving the park, I thought I'd be back through Kansas City another year to try again. I was disappointed to hear that at the end of that same season, it was to be removed.

Zonga, Six Flags Marine World.

Closed the entire time of my brief visit, and I was really looking forward to riding this ride. I intentionally left Kong on the table for time concerns, but I was not happy to leave Zonga unridden. Now it's in Mexico.

What was particulaly painful, was that as I was driving away from the park, I looked back to see it testing. Time was of the essence and turning around wasn't an option.

American Eagle, blue side, Six Flags Great America.

Neither side was initially open during my visit in the Fall of 2010. But the red side was open by the middle of the day. Very fun ride, and I wanted to give the blue side a shot. I should get the opportunity this spring, if X-Flight opens on time.

Double Loop, (then) Six Flags Worlds of Adventure.

Closed all day, and it's another Arrow I regretably never rode. Scrapped at this point. I also had to pass on a closed Superman (which I have since ridden at Dorney) and a single train Serial Thriller (which I have since ridden at Michigan's Adventure).

Colossus, right side, & Flashback, SFMM.

In two visits to Magic Mountain, the right side of Colossus was shut down. And of course Flashback was always closed.

I intentionally passed up on Lake Compounce's boomerang. No big deal.

Missing out on a ride that I've traveled to experience is always a concern. I've been pretty lucky in recent years, but these are a few of my misses from over the years.

I'm curious to see what roller coasters (and please don't list kiddie rides) others here have missed out on.

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 1/4/12 7:48:21 PM

Drachen fire - when I first went to the park I was too young and was still afraid of coasters. The next visit was in 2009, well after it was demolished.

Batman & Robin the chiller, same reason - too young at the time and my next visit to that park was in 2008.

El Toro - it was down when I went to the park, otherwise I would've been on it.

I was fortunate to get at least 1 ride on GASM, but I didn't know then the ride was going to be scrapped and regret not taking another ride on it.

Hypersonic: closed way before I got there in 2009. Was kinda looking forward to riding it, having seen it on the Ultimate Thrill special. But happy to ride Dominator [ex: Batman Knight Flight] instead.
=
edit:
I am very fortunate to have rode BBW in 2009. I never thought it was going to close that same year especially given it was its anniversary. 2010 I would've been out of luck. But of the 4 days I visited, only 3 of those days it ran. The 4th, I don't remember if it opened later in the day as I was well past that part of the park.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/4/12 9:33:34 PM

There may be others, but the only one I can think of offhand is Shockwave at SFGAdv. I wasn't yet the coaster junkie you see before you today, although even then I'd ride most anything. But Shockwave just intimidated me for some reason...I just didn't feel a pressing need to go on it. I'll get on the couch now, Dr. Freud.

Mike

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by alpengeistno3 at 1/4/12 10:54:10 PM

I've been fortunate as most parks I have traveled to outside of the regulars have had most of the rides operating at some point. Only 2 I can think of that I missed

Deja Vu- SFOG
I think the reason is obvious to most around here. Most SFOG TR's seemed to indicate that I experienced the norm rather than the exception.

Gwazi: Tiger - BGA
As I mentioned in my recent TR, Lion was running, but Tiger's trains were nowhere to be seen. Thanksgiving hours were short, so I never got a chance to get back into that part of the park again until after close, but I feel confident that I didn't have a chance of getting on it anyway. Too bad because it seemed the consensus is that it is the more intense of the pair.

Paul

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 1/5/12 12:24:42 AM

Big Bad Wolf (BGW) - Was scared at the time of my first visit way back when. By the time I visited in 2011 it was the year after it's removal :(

Carolina Cyclone - Carolina Cobra - and Thunder road were all coasters I missed on multiple visits to Carowinds and mainly due to visiting in October :( They weren't worth the wait and we wanted to hit the better attractions. Hopefully if they get a new coaster in the next couple of years I can make the trip.

Runaway Reptar (Carowinds) - Didn't really care if I rode it or not but I was too tall for it :(

Ghoster Coaster (KD) - Too tall :(

That's all I can think of for now. BBW is definitely the one I wish I could have gotten on and I'll never get the chance now :(

- mugen828

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by alpengeistno3 at 1/5/12 12:57:54 AM

> That's all I can think of for now. BBW is definitely the
> one I wish I could have gotten on and I'll never get the
> chance now :(

> - mugen828

I'm sure BBW will be available again in the afterlife. All good rides go to Heaven (and you can probably request for a day pass to the "other place" ride crappy ones like Hercules and Psyclone :)

Paul

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by Link Link Profile at 1/5/12 6:01:49 AM

I know I've shared this before, but one year, for whatever reason, my older sisters decide to take my younger brother to Kings Island with them. They would not wait for me to get ready, and I can't remember what caused me to miss the opportunity to leave with them.

Well, you see, my brother was a big fat coward, and wouldn't get on any of the cool roller coasters. Unfortunately for me, that was the last year that The Bat operated.

I had been totally cheated.

I can't say much, though: As a child, I was too scared to ride the Jumbo Jet at Cedar Point! (Yes, i know my age.) It made such a loud noise, and to a little pipsqueak like me at the time, the thing looked like a giant, mountain-sized torture device! I remember the night sky was pitch black behind the thing, which you could imagine in the mind of a creeped-out 7 year old how eerily surrealistic it looked. Or maybe not. ;-)

Also, the year that I drove all the way from Dayton, Ohio to Lexington, Kentucky to meet the author of a book who I had written the forward for. We hung out all day and night, but instead of visiting Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, which was literally right across the street from the hotel I was at, I decided to rush home. I have no idea why I was in such a hurry, but I figured one of these years I'd get around to checking out the park. (It didn't look particularly impressive, as the skyline was not loomed-over by any enormous, Beast-sized hills.) Needless to say, that chance would never come again.

Also in the mix: The only time in my life I had ever been to Geauga Lake, I only rode the "adult" coasters and didn't bother with the smaller wooden coasters. More tragic, I had looked forward to riding The Villain, but I was so distracted trying to impress a couple of lady friends that I didn't really pay attention to the ride layout....lol.

Alas.

Great topic!

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by Link Link Profile at 1/5/12 6:01:50 AM

*Somehow posted twice....?*

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/5/12 6:04:47 AM

> I'm sure BBW will be available again in the afterlife. All
> good rides go to Heaven (and you can probably request for a
> day pass to the "other place" ride crappy ones
> like Hercules and Psyclone :)

> Paul
>
LOL!

Based on that theory, I imagine Batman and Robin have split up. BURN, Boy Wonder, BURN!!!

Your post reminded me that Ninja was closed on my lone visit to SFOG. From what I've read and heard, I didn't miss much.

And I've been to Carowinds twice. First time, Borg was running but I wouldn't wait in a slow line for at least an hour in that heat (I was still in "flying coasters bother me" mode, but was trying to get over it.) On my second visit, it was in an extended down period.

Mike

Mike

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by MABrider MABrider Profile at 1/5/12 8:04:08 AM

I'm sure there are more that "got away" from me over the years, but two come to mind right off the top.

First was when I was not really an enthusiast, and the second was...well, I'd come a long way by then.

1998, July. First ever visit to BGW (now BGE).
Drachen Fire had been down for about two weeks.
There was no indication as to why, but it certainly was not expected by the paying public that it would never operate again.

2011, late March. Tuesday, first week of daily ops.
First ever visit to SFMM.
Colossus was down for the day.
Yeah, I've heard all about it of course, but still would have liked to ride, it being a woodie and all.

Mike B.

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/5/12 11:09:10 AM

Although my intention is not to hi-jack this rather interesting discussion, I wanted to note a non-coaster ride that fits here. When I made my only visit to Dollywood in '07, Timber Tower was not operating. From what I've read, that was far from an unusual (non) occurence. Too bad..it looked like a helluva lotta fun.

Mike

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by alpengeistno3 at 1/5/12 6:36:04 PM

> Based on that theory, I imagine Batman and Robin have split
> up. BURN, Boy Wonder, BURN!!!

Come on, Mike. While Robin was not as good as the Batman side of Chiller, it wasn't THAT bad. Have a heart :)

Now Viper at Gradv, let the flames rise!!

Paul

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by frontrow frontrow Profile at 1/5/12 6:49:53 PM

Deja Vu: SF Great America: closed
Deja Vu: SF Over Georgia: closed
La Vibora: SF Over Texas: Long line
Texas Tornado: SF Astroland: closed
Cyclone: SF New England: closed
Hypersonic XLC: Kings Dominion: closed
Drachen Fire: BG Williamsburg: closed
Wooden Warrior: Quassy: park was closed

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/5/12 7:27:22 PM

> Come on, Mike. While Robin was not as good as the Batman
> side of Chiller, it wasn't THAT bad. Have a heart :)

> Now Viper at Gradv, let the flames rise!!

> Paul

Now you got me thinking...I disliked both Robin and Viper. If I had to choose between the two..NO!! DON'T MAKE ME!!! STOP IT!!!

Mike

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 1/6/12 3:45:58 PM

X and X2:
First time I went it was not quite finished but looked impressive. Came back to SFMM for Coaster Con 2002 and the doggone thing was DDM all week!

XLR8R: Silly thing was testing in 2002 but was not available for ERT because it hadn't been inspected yet. Flight left too early the next day to make another try.

Both of those were ten years ago, and do you think I'm going all the way to the West Coast again? I'd be nuts....

Palisades Cyclone: I chickened out as a small kid.

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by drachen drachen Profile at 1/6/12 6:22:03 PM

> Your post reminded me that Ninja was closed on my lone
> visit to SFOG. From what I've read and heard, I didn't miss
> much.

That reminds me... of my childhood and visits to Wildwood. I was far too intimidated by Kamikaze, but I was fascinated by it. It was the biggest coaster I had every seen as a 9 year old. I always thought that I'd ride it "next year". Well, in the spring of 1992, we came down to find the coaster gone. I was so disappointed in myself.

Even though I've now come to know it as just another Vekoma head-banger, the ride in it's current location as Ninja at Six Flags Over Georgia, is near the top of my priority list, if for nothing more than some closure.

It bothers me enough that if I were to find out it was to be removed, I would find a way to Atlanta to ride it.

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/6/12 6:51:56 PM

Didn't know Ninja was a relo..from my home state, no less. I don't believe I ever rode it in Wildwood.

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 1/6/12 6:52:42 PM

In my short three years of considering myself an enthusiast, my only big miss was Son of Beast back in 2009. I'd arrived the week after it's most recent 'incident' and coincidentally the last time it's run since. I'd ridden SOB back in 2002 with the loop, but was too young and naive to appreciate it for how groundbreaking of a coaster it was.

That same visit, I waited for Firehawk for about 30 minutes before it being shut down, and we opted to ride the Beast one last time before we had to hit the road. That being my last visit to KI, and the only flyer that's relatively close to me, I wish I'd given it a chance. I still have yet to ride a flyer.

Cool topic!

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 1/7/12 4:54:55 PM

Great topic, drachen. From what I can recall in my old age (lol):

Cedar Point:

Jumbo Jet - Was much too young to ride it. By the time I was tall enough it was long gone. The only coaster at CP I've missed.

Kings Island:

Bavarian Beetle

SFGAdv:

My 2005 visit had me not riding...

Kingda Ka - due to a major malfunction that crippled the ride a couple weeks prior to my visit. My very early plans right now have me getting that credit this year (this could change).

Batman: Chiller - Closed with no train on the track. I am thankful to have ridden Robin.

Skull Mountain - I passed on it as I didn't feel like riding it.

Kings Dominion:

My last visit in 2003 resulted in me not riding...

Ricochet and Flight of Fear - Like Skull Mountain I just passed on those rides as I didn't feel like it.

Canada's Wonderland:

My one and only visit in 2002 resulted in not riding...

Top Gun/Flight Deck, Skyrider, The Bat

Six Flags Magic Mountain:

My 2001 visit resulted in me not riding...

X and Deja Vu - both still under construction at the time

Flashback - SBNO and rotting away. Despite its bad reputation I would have liked to have experienced it.

Six Flags Marine World/Discovery Kingdom:

My 2001 visit resulted in me not riding Boomerang. The one at Knott's the week before left a bad impression on me even though I do like boomerangs.

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by drachen drachen Profile at 1/7/12 8:30:21 PM

> Didn't know Ninja was a relo..from my home state, no less.
> I don't believe I ever rode it in Wildwood.

Found this online at "Dark in the Park"

You can still see a few of the footers in the sand underneath the back of old Hunts Pier.

Dark in the Park - Wildwood

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/8/12 6:13:15 AM

For whatever reason, I've been pretty lucky as far as park coaster reliability, and last minute rides on notable coasters before being removed or altered. The Hard Rock Park coasters with uncertain futures, SOB/w loop(last day!), Dania Beach Hurricane, Starliner, and BBW are a few that comes to mind; Also the third time was a charm concerning the constantly broke down Deja Vu(SFOG).

The Big One...
Wicked Twister. It was down on both days we visited.

No Biggie Facsimiles...
SUF(SFGadv)
Batman(SFGadv)
Ricochet(Carowinds)

Too young in a stroller...
Atom Smasher at Rockaways' Playland.

The park closed in 85' so it was doable for me to ride, but we never got back to the park when I was old enough to ride.

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by Ligtnin78nic Ligtnin78nic Profile at 1/8/12 10:00:07 AM

Lightnin Loops is the only one that got away.The first time in 89 I never rode a coaster and wanted to ride GASM but mother wouldn't let me,line,plus nobody else was heading that way.I kept bugging her so we came by Lightnin Loops and she said if I wanted to do a looping coaster do this one first.I didn't like the backwards part.Went back in 94 and was gone.Burned over it for years,though I now don't because I rode many now other defunct coasters(Drachen Fire,Chiller both sides,Steel Phantom,Laser,GASM(my favorite),BBW(miss it so much).So thats where my screen name came from.So close to going to Maryland to ride it (Python other side Diamondback and still operating)after they were relocated but decided to go to Great Adventure instead.Don't regret it either after loosing GASM,Viper,Chiller,and flats.

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/8/12 12:27:34 PM

Great topic!

The ones that have gotten away from me are:

Kings Island:
Son of Beast - closed for good a few weeks before I went

Flight Deck: Was up and running but then there was a major thunderstorm that went through. It never came back up.

Disney:
Test Track: has never been working when I've been there

Universal:
Although not a coaster, Jaws - now I will never see it.

Dorney:
Everything. OK, really just Posessed, Free Fall (the reason I went), Meteor and most of the other coasters were down most of the day but came up occasionally. That park is still dead to me.

That's all I can really think of.

Jen

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/8/12 12:30:35 PM

> Come on, Mike. While Robin was not as good as the Batman
> side of Chiller, it wasn't THAT bad. Have a heart :)

> Now Viper at Gradv, let the flames rise!!

> Paul

Hey, I loved that first drop and I would ride it again in a heart beat. That was the only "whee" in the park at the time so it served its purpose. Along with bruising tops of shoulders....

And the Robin side was NOT bad after the OSTRs were removed. Not as smooth as Batman but hardly rough enough to banish to the fiery pits of hell!

Jen

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 1/8/12 9:53:34 PM

I've been pretty fortunate in this regard.

I missed Drachen Fire's last day of operation by a week and missed SWO's soft opening of Manta by a day.

I'm not a huge fan of B&M flyers and Seaworld's outrageous cost of admission isn't worth one credit. That's probably a coaster I'll never get to ride.

In 2011, I took the year off from parks as I needed to get some priorities straight in my life. 2012 will probably be the same until I graduate college in September.

With this being said, I managed to get to KD in September for a private event and Volcano had not operated at all during the daily operation of the park. That was by far the biggest disappointment of them all. Volcano is my favorite steel coaster in that park, even with I305 being there now.

Only spent three hours riding coasters all year last year and the one that I spent weeks getting hyped up when it wasn't open.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/8/12 10:11:37 PM

Volcano is my favorite
> steel coaster in that park, even with I305 being there now.

I can't believe someone else feels the same way I do regarding Volcano and I-305 and on top of that it's Joe Great_Ump! That's twice we've agreed on something in the past few weeks. This is getting scary. LOL!

8~)

Jen

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/8/12 10:34:27 PM

^^^Jen, you know that Test Track isn't a coaster right? :)

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/9/12 7:19:13 AM

> ^^^Jen, you know that Test Track isn't a coaster right? :)

Not really. I don't know exactly what it is. All I've heard is it's really good (for Disney anyway) and I like to be surprised with rides I've never been on. I thought it was something like race cars on a track so I thought it had some coaster element to it.

Jen

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 1/9/12 9:26:53 AM

> Volcano is my favorite
> steel coaster in that park, even with I305 being there now.

> I can't believe someone else feels the same way I do
> regarding Volcano and I-305 and on top of that it's Joe
> Great_Ump! That's twice we've agreed on something in the
> past few weeks. This is getting scary. LOL!

> 8~)

> Jen

Scary yes, but I still hate your ballclub of choice (and I am a baseball umpire).

=)

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by Tomes at 1/17/12 8:45:02 PM

The only thing I want to tell Great Ump is that one day when you decide to check out Sea World afterall, you will NOT be disappointed with Manta ;-)

It's SO much better than the lame SUFs.

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 1/21/12 1:24:04 PM

This should take you back a few years...Cedar Point's "Jumbo Jet". I don't know
if this counts as one which got away, but, it had this weird 60" height requirement. I was not 60" yet and so would ride the double ferris wheel while my older sisters would go ride the Jumbo Jet. Over time I grew and just as I reached the magical 5 foot mark, they took it out. It was replaced by the Demon Drop, which went up nearly as fast as it came down. The Jumbo Jet can be seen memorialized in the Ride Graveyard which goes up for Halloweekends.

Mikey Mad

Re: The Coasters That Got Away... by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 2/1/12 10:42:11 PM

Mine are:

Drachen Fire - moved to VA to late and only saw it SBNO.

SoB - car problems on my Ohio tour. After CP and GL I had to cancel my KI plans.

Expedition Everest - broke down that day

Top Thrill Dragster - broke down

MarathonRunner