Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Most Underrated Coaster?

Most Underrated Coaster?

mugen828 mugen828 Profile

Posted:
1/3/12 at
2:28:04 PM

Ok, so there are a ton of coasters out there, but what are some of the most underrated coasters out there?

I feel like there is a lot of attention to some coasters on this board, and mostly because they are out favorites and they are great! :) so no harm there. But what are some coasters that we may might not have mentioned on here, that deserve some praise?

A coaster that can be new, or not so new, that is a good coaster, but doesn't get a lot of URC love? Maybe it's a favorite of yours to hit when you go to a park. It could be the ride that has that short line usually, but you'd actually wait a while for if you had to.

For me, it's Talon at Dorney Park. I love that ride and I would gladly wait 30 minutes for it, but I've never had to wait that long! I mentioned Talon in the helix thread the other day and it just got me thinking about coasters that are cool and fun, but not the major attraction at a park.

So what's your most underrated coaster? It doesn't have to be old, it can be new, but it's gotta be something that isn't the MAIN attraction at a park, or at least the main attraction at a big park.

- mugen828

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 1/3/12 2:47:32 PM

One that I hear now and then from friends (and in my book it's an okay coaster) is the Backlot Stunt Coaster, AKA Italian Job at KI and KD. The launched triple helix in place of a lift hill is truly unique. There are a couple pops of good air, some decent laterals and even though most of the effects are dismal if not nonexistent, the layout is a lot of fun. Loading is slow, especially if there is a disability rider (only one accessible seat and it requires a special tool to open the side) but often you can find only a short wait because the ride really isn't very popular anymore.

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/3/12 3:45:03 PM

Talon's my favorite coaster at Dorney (but not my favorite ride..that's Meteor) Talon doesn't get a lot of love, but the only invert I enjoy more is Afterburn at Carowinds. I still love the intensity of Batman, but it's the lack of length that keeps it from that top echelon.

As far as rides I'd consider underrated...and that's a very loose term:

Comet at Hershey
Loch Ness Monster at BGE
Wild One at SFA
Avalanche at KD

Right now, while at work, that's all I got.

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 1/3/12 6:30:01 PM

> Talon's my favorite coaster at Dorney

I totally agree. Talon is a great invert. It's my #3 favorite invert behind Afterburn and Alpengeist.

> As far as rides I'd consider underrated...and that's a very
> loose term:

> Loch Ness Monster at BGE

I agree. Nessie is one of the few Arrows that still run smooth, is very picturesque, and has a great first drop.

> Avalanche at KD

I agree. One of my favorites at KD I still don't understand how this style of bobsled never took off in America.

There's a lot of coasters that could be considered underrated. My list in no particular order...

1. Screamin' Eagle - SFStL
2. The Boss - SFStL
3. Mindbender - SFOG
4. Great American Scream Machine - SFOG
5. Viper - Darien Lake
6. Silver Comet - Martin's Fantasy Island

G-Dog

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 1/3/12 6:55:38 PM

I'll cast my vote for Wolverine Wildcat. It's always been overshadowed by Shivering Timbers (which coincidently, I post frequently about). It has a great mix of airtime combined with a rough ride and a cool tunnel to kick it all off. Not to mention it's influenced by Phoenix, and we all know how well enthusiasts see that coaster.

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/3/12 7:27:58 PM

Speaking of Phoenix, as gvlaker did above, I'll cast my vote for two more underrated coasters. Twister and Raven are excellent rides, but I think being in the same parks with Phoenix and Voyage hurts their reputation. If they were in other parks, away from their (respectively) older and younger siblings, they'd be marquee attractions (depending, of course, on which park they inhabited.

I've had some great rides on Phoenix, but prefer Twister. And, while I do prefer Voyage to Raven, that opinion is based on 50 rides over two days in '07, with more than 20 Raven circuits during the same time frame. But from what I've read, here and elsewhere, Voyage is not the ride it used to be.

Mike

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 1/3/12 7:50:08 PM

Top 5 underrated wooden coaster:
1) Jack Rabbit: Kennywood
2) Cyclops: Mt. Olympus
3) Kentucky Rumbler: Beech Bend
4) Great American Scream Machine: SF Over Georgia
5) Skyliner: Lakemont

Top 5 underrated steel coasters
1) Storm Runner: Hershey
2) Talon: Dorney Park
3) Volcano: Kings Dominion
4) Superman Krypton Coaster: SF Fiesta Texas
5) Behemoth: Canadas Wonderland

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 1/3/12 10:49:34 PM

> Top 5 underrated wooden coaster:
> 1) Jack Rabbit: Kennywood
> 2) Cyclops: Mt. Olympus
> 3) Kentucky Rumbler: Beech Bend
> 4) Great American Scream Machine: SF Over Georgia
> 5) Skyliner: Lakemont

> Top 5 underrated steel coasters
> 1) Storm Runner: Hershey
> 2) Talon: Dorney Park
> 3) Volcano: Kings Dominion
> 4) Superman Krypton Coaster: SF Fiesta Texas
> 5) Behemoth: Canadas Wonderland
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

I definitely AGREE on Cyclops! That coaster was insane in the danger department and it was just too much fun! "18 or older for back row" is definitely an awesome sign, and it's actually necessary!

I haven't ridden Superman Krypton Coaster or Behemoth, but they both look like awesome coasters.

Here are some more of mine with short reasons why I feel they are underrated.

1. Kraken - it's at Sea World Orlando, not a coaster park, but it's got a great location and it's a great floorless coaster.

2. Super Dooper Looper - Hershey. This guy is old, but it's a damn fun ride and I love a loop with only a lap bar. It's tame, but really fun for everyone I think.

3. The Great White - Morey's Piers Wildwood NJ. The wooden coaster starts off with a drop into a tunnel and half of the ride is on the beach. A cool setting along with nice speed and decent layout make this a favorite of mine. I could be biased though as I grew up going to Wildwood as a kid.

> I'll cast my vote for Wolverine Wildcat. It's always been
> overshadowed by Shivering Timbers (which coincidently, I
> post frequently about). It has a great mix of airtime
> combined with a rough ride and a cool tunnel to kick it all
> off. Not to mention it's influenced by Phoenix, and we all
> know how well enthusiasts see that coaster.

I did like Wolverine Wildcat on my trip to Michigan's Adventure. It was good. It just wasn't fast enough for my liking, it's a good ride though.

- mugen828

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by drachen drachen Profile at 1/3/12 11:09:11 PM

I'll bite, though I know this thread has been done before (ages ago). And I like frontrow's top 5 format. I'll list 5 as well, but in no particular order, since I can't really rank them.

Wood

Cyclops, Mt. Olympus - such a stinkin' good ride with arguably the best drop in coaster-dom.

Screamin' Eagle, Six Flags St. Louis - a very underrated ride. It's a long out and back with great drops throughout. The best coaster at an underrated park.

Wildcat and Comet, Hersheypark - Comet is, again, a very long out and back with fun hills. Wildcat has a fabulously twisted air-filled layout that gets mostly negative attention in enthusiast circles.

Wild One, Six Flags America - one of two very bright spots at a relatively hated park - a park that I actually like quite a bit. Great hills, head choppers, and a wickedly underbanked helix.

The Legend, Holiday World - I know that there are a lot of people like me that love this ride. But there are not enough. I really feel that it is the best of three really good wooden roller coasters at that park.

Steel

Loch Ness Monster, BGW - one of my all-time favorite rides. The first drop is excellent in the back, and the enclosed triple helix is one of those coaster experiences that everyone needs to experience.

Xcelerator, Knott's - the best accelerator coaster to date. It boasts the best launch, the best top-hat, two overbanked turns, and some mean head-choppers. Short? Yes, but so is the line.

Canyon Blaster, Adventure Dome - one of Arrow's best rides. Sure it's just a double-loop, double-corkscrew ride, but it's completely indoors, and hugs that mountain so tightly. The dark helix finale is lots of fun too.

Ninja, Six Flags Magic Mountain, I loved this ride, and while I didn't feel it was quite as good as the beloved Big Bad Wolf, I thought it was close enough that it deserved more attention. The ride feels like it is downhill the entire way, just constantly gaining speed throughout the entire ride, which is why the main lift is at the tail end.

Gemini, Cedar Point - these two coasters are just excellent rides, and a lot of fun. They are silky smooth and full of speed, negative G's, and head choppers. To boot, it opened as the tallest coaster in the world... as a twin coaster. Can you imagine a park opening a racing coaster as the world's tallest? Crazy.

I'm going to see if I can find that old thread and post it here. It would be fun to see what others said way back when.

*Edit

I found a few of them, in one of which I participated.

From 2002:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=107767

From 2001:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=64843

From 2000:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=35498

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/3/12 11:16:22 PM

Dania Beach Hurricane- Although it will not operate at the Boomers location anymore, there are rumors that it might be relocated the the Miami MetroZoo; Hopefully those rumors will become reality.

Swamp Fox at Family Kingdom, SC

Journey to Atlantis(SWO)

Rampage at Alabama Adventure

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/3/12 11:19:35 PM

I heard a coupla people say that Nessie is underrated I disagree, I think that it get plenty of love, rightfully so.

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/4/12 5:57:08 AM

I'll add Superman at SFA. It gets overshadowed by its Massachussetts cousin, but to me is a better ride. I wouldn't have said that after my first (and only) ride on Supes Agawam, but I didn't enjoy Bizarro much when I got back there.

Mike

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by Link Link Profile at 1/4/12 10:30:49 AM

Adventure Express at Kings Island.

It gets no love, but I enjoy this ride immensely! Very forceful. I love how out of control it feels. The layout fits well with the theming. I think most people are miffed by the ending being such a letdown. Probably not the smartest move when it comes to public relations, but I have a warped sense of humor, so it doesn't bother me one bit. =)

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by gad198 gad198 Profile at 1/4/12 11:40:43 AM

> I'll add Superman at SFA. It gets overshadowed by its
> Massachussetts cousin, but to me is a better ride. I
> wouldn't have said that after my first (and only) ride on
> Supes Agawam, but I didn't enjoy Bizarro much when I got
> back there.

I actually would agree with you THIS year only. Our rides on Superman at SFA for our two visits this year were all sensational. Let's be clear, I still think that the Bizarro layout is superior to Superman and has the potential to provide better rides but I absolutely, positively despise the restraints on Bizarro. It's still good, but I'd imagine with the old T-bars that ride would have kicked some serious...well, you know...

In the spirit of things...

Underrated Wood:

Hellcat/Avalanche/whatever Timber Falls is calling it these days
Wild One at SFA
Shivering Timbers
Renegade
American Thunder at SF St. Louis (thought about putting in Screamin' Eagle here but the rides are too inconsistent)

Underrated Steel:

Silver Bullet at Knotts
Behemoth (outside of SFOG Goliath this gave the most fun rides on a steelie this year)
Superman at SFA
Mindbender at SFOG
Kumba

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by Tomes at 1/4/12 11:53:45 AM

I couldn't agree more about Storm Runner and Volcano!
Even though they seem to always be a topic of debate.

Kraken in my mind is also underrated, and so is Montu because it's awesome.

Nobody ever talks about Lightning Racer, but I love the ride.

Sheikra always falls short underneath Griffon's newer impression with its slightly better stats. But in reality it's also very awesome.

The Riddler's Revenge is also an amazing ride in my opinion which is extremely underrated, and I'd even throw Green Lantern into the mix.

Also, (probably to everybody's surprise), whenever it's not broken, Deja Vu is effing awesome. Too bad I will have to travel far nowadays to ride one.

Another one to mention is V2 in the back seat. To differentiate from Wicked Twister which is IMO not nearly as awesome.

One last one to mention is Hades in Wisconsin Dells.

Just while we're on the topic...

Most overrated cosaters in my opinion:
-Magnum XL200
-Raven
-Legend
-Appolo's Chariot
-Grizzly
-Fahrenheit (even though it really is very fun, just the hype is too high for the experience)

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by Link Link Profile at 1/4/12 12:50:00 PM

I forgot to add Wicket Twister at Cedar Point. I love the weightless sensation that it produces!

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/4/12 12:57:55 PM

> I forgot to add Wicket Twister at Cedar Point. I love the
> weightless sensation that it produces!

Especially when you have a croquet mallet in your hand!! LOL!

Mike

Re: Most Underrated Coaster? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 1/4/12 4:42:18 PM

> One that I hear now and then from friends (and in my book
> it's an okay coaster) is the Backlot Stunt Coaster, AKA
> Italian Job at KI and KD. The launched triple helix in
> place of a lift hill is truly unique. There are a couple
> pops of good air, some decent laterals and even though most
> of the effects are dismal if not nonexistent, the layout is
> a lot of fun. Loading is slow, especially if there is a
> disability rider (only one accessible seat and it requires
> a special tool to open the side) but often you can find
> only a short wait because the ride really isn't very
> popular anymore.

I totally agree, the theming was very nice [if they helicopter works, it'd be great]. The overall ride was fun, nothing spectacular, but something that makes it a step up over a wild mouse with cardboard cut outs at the edge of the tracks.

I do agree about the slow loading. I also don't understand why the KD one had an all red, all white, and all blue trains compared to before when each train had one of each. Did they switch the cars or just gave all of them a repaint?
=
I agree with Mike about Nessie - i enjoyed that enclosed helix and of course the interlocked loops. If only they ran two trains at the same time...

Avalanche is another fun ride. Other than the loading 'issues' which can cause long waits, I'd ride it if the line isn't too long. Very unique and it's a shame there are not more of them.
=
Canyon blaster at Adventure dome was one of my favs when I was at Vegas. I love how it snakes around the park the way it does. Totally worth getting an all day pass for along with the other flat rides there.

The Manhattan express, was also pretty good, but since it's almost 4-5 yrs since i last rode it, I have no idea if it's any rougher or smoother. But the big hills of the first half were awesome, almost like a hyper coaster feel, but then the rest was soso as the rest of the ride was on the roof of the building. Space killed its potential.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.