Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > For Those Who Drive To GrAdv...

For Those Who Drive To GrAdv...

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
12/25/11 at
9:35:44 PM

..get ready to pay more, depending which way you come to the park. On January 1, tolls on the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway will increase by up to 53%.

When I'm riding to the park WITH somebody, whether driving or as a passenger, one or both of those roads are usually in play. When I drive by myself, I'm more likely to take non-toll roads. Takes a bit longer (15 minutes or so) but to me the little bit of extra driving and small amount of gas offsets what will now be up to $10 or more in tolls.

Here's an article:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/12/parkway_turnpike_commuters_bra.html

Incidentally, I was about 15 minutes from GAdv today. I loathe being that close and not being able to ride Kin..I mean, El Toro.
But the food and company were good.

Mike

Re: For Those Who Drive To GrAdv... by alpengeistno3 at 12/25/11 11:44:34 PM

If this was Facebook, I would strongly dislike. I used to take 2 trips to Gradv every year. But between the park no longer accepting other parking passes and now the tolls doubling, I may have to make Gradv an every other year trip.

Hopefully PA won't follow suit so I can still go to Dorney.

Paul

Re: For Those Who Drive To GrAdv... by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 12/26/11 4:20:49 AM

From the south, I always avoid the toll on NJ Turnpike by taking 295 north from the NJ side of the Deleware Memorial Bridge. It's only like seven miles longer and there are more places to stop and gas/eat cheapier with no toll.

Exit 60 is NJ 195.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: For Those Who Drive To GrAdv... by alpengeistno3 at 12/26/11 3:11:03 PM

> From the south, I always avoid the toll on NJ Turnpike by
> taking 295 north from the NJ side of the Deleware Memorial
> Bridge. It's only like seven miles longer and there are
> more places to stop and gas/eat cheapier with no toll.

> Exit 60 is NJ 195.

> Joe
> Great_Ump

True. I haven't been on the turnpike in 5 years since learning that from a friend in Jersey.

Here's another secret he showed me. When coming back, you can avoid the Delaware Memorial Bridge toll by taking 195 up to Rt 1 (about 5 miles past the exit to get on the turnpike. Rt 1 will take you to I-95 where the toll was only .75.

I wouldn't recommend it if you are going home early as I-95 can be a zoo during Philly rush hour, but if you stay at Gradv until closing, it is a breeze that time of night.

Paul

Re: For Those Who Drive To GrAdv... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/27/11 3:30:59 PM

> Hopefully PA won't follow suit

> Paul

From what I read elsewhere, they are doing so.

Mike

Re: For Those Who Drive To GrAdv... by alpengeistno3 at 12/27/11 10:19:22 PM

> Hopefully PA won't follow suit

> Paul

> From what I read elsewhere, they are doing so.

> Mike

That sucks. Anyone know a short cut to Dorney around I476?

Paul