Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > "Slow" Vertical Loop?

"Slow" Vertical Loop?

Link Link Profile

Posted:
12/24/11 at
12:51:09 PM

Have you ever been on a looper that had a vertical loop that seemed to take an inordinate amount of time to ride through?

I remember the loop from Son of Beast....my goodness! It seemed to take forever to make it through. I swear half of the ride time was spent meandering through that loop.

What's your experience?

Re: "Slow" Vertical Loop? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 12/24/11 1:21:20 PM

Batman Knight Flight/Dominator's vertical loop had that feeling as well. You always got good hang time at the crest of the vertical loop. Miss that ride dearly.

G-Dog

Re: "Slow" Vertical Loop? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 12/24/11 2:03:03 PM

> Batman Knight Flight/Dominator's vertical loop had that
> feeling as well. You always got good hang time at the crest
> of the vertical loop. Miss that ride dearly.

> G-Dog

I agree. That was the first coaster that came to mind. Mantis is the other one that pops into my head right away.

Re: "Slow" Vertical Loop? by alpengeistno3 at 12/24/11 6:20:45 PM

I was going to say Dominator as well, especially when it is right above 40* on an October evening. I really felt like we would roll back!

Paul

Re: "Slow" Vertical Loop? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/24/11 11:07:42 PM

Even though it's not a traditional vertical loop, the first loop on G-Force in Drayton Manor has to be the slowest, even though it's a cheater. LOL

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDibFwuWHPE

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: "Slow" Vertical Loop? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 12/25/11 12:13:08 AM

It's not a Vertical Loop but Hydra's Jo Jo roll is super slow.

Re: "Slow" Vertical Loop? by Tomes at 12/25/11 2:53:09 AM

Raging Spirits at Tokyo Disney Sea only goes to something like 38mph at its fastest point, and it's loop is REALLY slow, u feel like ur coming out of ur seat for a second there. I'm guessing it's the same case at Euro Disney's Indiana Jones temple of Peril ride because theyre extremely similar. I'd even say identical layouts but RCDB doesn't recognize it as such.

Anyway that was definitely something I noticed when I rode that ride. I didn't so much notice it on SOB, Dominator or Mantis but next time I'll pay attention (with the exception of SOB)

Re: "Slow" Vertical Loop? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/25/11 6:28:31 PM

I've ridden SOB/w loop, Mantis, and Dominator; Other than them having bigass loops, I didn't find anything alarmingly 'slow' about them, like many big loops, they are a lil' slower than your typical small loop; There's definitely a 'hanging' difference from them and say Hulk's second vertical loop, but to me they seemed typical for large inversions.

Re: "Slow" Vertical Loop? by Link Link Profile at 12/26/11 10:34:58 AM

For whatever reason, we came out from SOB's helix especially slow, so the coaster train felt like it was lumbering up the loop incline.

As alpengeistno3 pointed out, it must have been the cold of the morning air. But man, was that thing moving slow that day!

I almost forgot about the vertical loop on Mantis. That and the dive loop that immediately follows were rickety slow when I rode it for the first time.

Dominator's vertical loop didn't seem especially slow to me, but maybe that's because I was too busy worrying about everything I had stuffed in my pockets sliding out. =/

Re: "Slow" Vertical Loop? by alpengeistno3 at 12/26/11 3:15:06 PM

> For whatever reason, we came out from SOB's helix
> especially slow, so the coaster train felt like it was
> lumbering up the loop incline.

> As alpengeistno3 pointed out, it must have been the cold of
> the morning air. But man, was that thing moving slow that
> day!

Well, in actuality, it is not the air. The grease they use to keep the wheel assemblies lubricated has not warmed up yet, so it is not as viscous as it will be later in the day.

Paul

Re: "Slow" Vertical Loop? by Link Link Profile at 12/26/11 3:19:24 PM

> Well, in actuality, it is not the air. The grease they use
> to keep the wheel assemblies lubricated has not warmed up
> yet, so it is not as viscous as it will be later in the
> day.

> Paul

That's kinda what I figured....lol. I was just speaking colloquially.