Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!!

Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!!

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
12/19/11 at
3:24:32 PM

I've ridden the coaster at Universal Studios Florida 'Hollywood: Rip Ride & Rockit' two times, and didn't notice this fact; It has a whopping FOUR brake runs; a quarter brake run, a MCBR, a three quarter brake run, and finally and mercifully, the last final brake run. That just don't make any sense, no wonder why people complain of roughness on H:RRR, that sounds like a badly planned layout to me, it's WAY too brake laden; It's like stop & go driving in Manhattan's rush hour. IMO H:RRR's first drop is too tall for this 'extreme family ride' of sorts; They hafta compensate all of that unwanted speed for FOUR brake runs. I predict that some of yall are gonna play it down with the conservative 'it's just fine' approach, and say that it's meant to be, but I'm sorry in my book, four brake runs is three too many; Just think, a 93 MPH coaster in Ohio has none!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjI2a8wRe34&list=HL1324324188&feature=mh_lolz

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/19/11 6:34:26 PM

I think the only reason for having four brakes blocks is so they can have three trains on the track at one time... which itself is only necessary because of the very low-cap trains.

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/19/11 7:01:08 PM

Exactly, I commented this in preivous threads about it. RRR, has short trains and to have so many trains at the same time, they need that many stops. I guess if they had a 4-car train, it would be too great a strain on the lift hill, but I would've preferred a longer train with less breaks than the current ride. But I guess given the location, the vertical lift hill was all they could have.

Sum it up - It could've been better, but if space being the issue, then that's probably the best they really could do and that is a shame.

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 12/19/11 7:43:05 PM

The multiple block brakes are not the problem. There are plenty of other "exceptional" roller coasters that have more block brakes than Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain are two that immediately come to mind.

The problem with this ride is a poor layout, jolting transitions in the track, lousy track fabrication and excessive use of block brakes to trim the speed. The restraints are excessive and uncomfortable. I'm not a fan of the vertical lift hill and then the layout for this coaster is just terrible. The ride is a total bore after the non-inverting loop.

Rockit has four block brakes between the station and the final brake run, and it can run seven trains.

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by alpengeistno3 at 12/19/11 8:14:19 PM

I agree with Eric. If the ride was designed better, the park could use the block brakes as emergency brakes rather than trim brakes. Two facts, the ride has low capacity that can only be boosted by running an excessive number of units (to make up for the short trains) and it is so short the only way to stretch the dispatch interval out is through using the blocks as trims.

It's not a bad ride, but it could clearly have been done better by B&M or Intamin.

Paul

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/19/11 8:53:30 PM

> If the ride was designed better, the
> park could use the block brakes as emergency brakes rather
> than trim brakes.

The way that coaster is (badly) designed, that first block brake HAS to be used as a trim; I can't imagine plummeting down the 167 ft first drop, into the large non-inverting loop with all of that speed & momentum going into that treble-clef thingy; Talk about hitting a bad note! LOL I agree with you & Eric about H:RRR being poorly designed. Like Eric said, the non inverting loop was definitely the highlight, and IMO with the good first drop.

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by alpengeistno3 at 12/19/11 9:19:36 PM

> If the ride was designed better, the
> park could use the block brakes as emergency brakes rather
> than trim brakes.

> The way that coaster is (badly) designed, that first block
> brake HAS to be used as a trim; I can't imagine plummeting
> down the 167 ft first drop, into the large non-inverting
> loop with all of that speed & momentum going into that
> treble-clef thingy; Talk about hitting a bad note! LOL I
> agree with you & Eric about H:RRR being poorly
> designed. Like Eric said, the non inverting loop was
> definitely the highlight, and IMO with the good first drop.

I know a certain B&M hyper right here in Virginia that does almost the exact same manuever coming off a 130 ft drop (with a light trim brake, but that is another point.) Another designer could have done it with no problem. The trims are really there for spacing, not forces (as the ride produces very little other than the jarring transitions into the blocks)

Paul

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/20/11 12:06:54 AM

> The multiple block brakes are not the problem. There are
> plenty of other "exceptional" roller coasters
> that have more block brakes than Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit.
> Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain are two that
> immediately come to mind.

> The problem with this ride is a poor layout, jolting
> transitions in the track, lousy track fabrication and
> excessive use of block brakes to trim the speed. The
> restraints are excessive and uncomfortable. I'm not a fan
> of the vertical lift hill and then the layout for this
> coaster is just terrible. The ride is a total bore after
> the non-inverting loop.

> Rockit has four block brakes between the station and the
> final brake run, and it can run seven trains.
>

But for Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain, both are more family oriented rides and had better theming without the need to be more ride intensive. RRR has mainly the music blaring in the headrests while the train is going thru the elements of the ride. Therefore, RRR pretty much needed a better ride since the music was it's only other feature.

I totally agree, the ride layout was poorly designed. I am not a fan of vertical lifts either. The restraint wasn't comfortable, but I didn't think it was that horrible and think they could've made the notches a bit more roomier [not too tight/not too loose].

Yes, the ride may as well have been just that non-inverting loop, or maybe 2, and then have the train return back to the station. They should've just made it an outright hyper coaster if the floor plans made it restrictive to expand the layout. It is such a waste of a fairly good height - all that energy just being sucked up by the breaks. It's a wonder if the trains have to be stopped at one of them that they have enough energy to make it back to the station.

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 12/20/11 1:22:18 AM

I rode that coaster a year ago and it was as bad as I was imagining it to be! I rode this over in Japan http://www.rcdb.com/3621.htm and it was so much better. B&M used the limited space they had to work with so much better and the ride is a lot more thrilling. Plus, it can run 4 trains using a single mid course brake run and double stations, Big Thunder Mountain Style.

The reason I heard why Maurer Sohne ended up with the contract to design it is because B&M would not deal with Universal Orlando! The lack of upkeep on Hulk must give B&M a bad name so B&M refused to bid on it. Plus, Maurer gets the contract, Universal pushes that moving carpet load and things get so bad Maurer can't even finish the ride.

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 12/20/11 2:17:55 AM

Despite me not even knowing it had four brake runs on it, I still think back to how enjoyable it was.

It wasn't a super thrilling ride but the lift was cool, the music wasn't something dumb imo. I mean, you at least get a choice. Also it just being a coaster in a "non coaster" park is refreshing.

I really like the ride and I can't really remember brakes in it at all. So I think whoever designed it has done something right! haha (I did ride it in 2010 so not tooo long ago)

- mugen

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/20/11 10:27:58 AM

> It wasn't a super thrilling ride but the lift was cool, the
> music wasn't something dumb imo. I mean, you at least get a
> choice. Also it just being a coaster in a "non
> coaster" park is refreshing.

All good points. IMO it isn't a bad ride, just not very good.
One should ride it for the experience, and of course anyone is allowed to like it (heck, even SOB has its fans!)

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by gad198 gad198 Profile at 12/20/11 10:38:41 AM

Interesting point about B&M, Absimilliard. The space that Hollywood Dream over in Japan and Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit both occupy appear very similar, and I couldn't help but wonder if that was coincidental. A mini B&M hyper would have worked AMAZINGLY well at Universal. It would have given the Orlando/Tampa area a sorely needed (and super high capacity) airtime machine and would have been much more aesthetically pleasing. It's one of the great "what if"s.

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by alpengeistno3 at 12/20/11 6:47:51 PM

I agree, Absimilliard and gad197. If B&M had got the contract, they could have built an awesome ride in the same limited footprint.

Just out of curiosity, does Hollywood Dream allow you to select your own music? I noticed a lot of ride operation decisions were influenced by the whole music selection thing. While I think any song could have been played over the layout, it did seem like there was a bit of cutting and editing to the songs in order to make it "fit" the elements of the ride. If that is the case, then the only way to consistently make sure those edits fit throughout the operation day is through using trim brakes to make sure the train is at the optimum speed throughout. While the music is a cool idea, it really bothers me that the ride quality suffers because of it.

I agree with Rob, too. It is not a bad ride. The problem is it is not a good one, either.

Paul

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 12/21/11 3:29:10 AM

To give you an idea where Hollywood Dream does over in Japan, imagine this: the entrance, waiting line and station is where the Terminator 2 show is in Florida now. The lift hill and most of the ride is behind the Hollywood facade. The Helix is down by the lake and the overbanked turn in a backstage area next to the entrance. I actually rank it among the best B&M hypers I rode (I rode everyone of them except Intimidator and Goliath SFOG). This picture shows you the whole layout: http://www.rcdb.com/3621.htm?p=18659

Hollywood Dream does seems to have a storyline. You're attending some kind of movie premiere and the coaster trains are the shooting stars you ride to stardom from what I could understand. I do feel bad for the ride operators through! Back in 2007 when I rode it, the men had to wear black and white tuxedos and the ladies EVENING GOWNS!

You can also pick your music on Hollywood Dream! The lap bar got two buttons and 5 lights. You just push the button to scroll down to the number you want (the waiting line is covered with posters stating which number is which song) and then push the other button to select it. Simple and works out great. I through I could hear the music clearer than on HRRR over at USF. The 5 songs you can pick:

Bon Jovi - "Have a Nice Day" - Track 1 (Rock)
Eminem - "Lose Yourself" - Track 2 (Hip-Hop)
The Beatles- "Get Back" - Track 3 (Classical Rock)
Dreams Come True - "Osaka lover" - Track 4 (J-Pop) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vm-8b8Nq5Q
Kobukuro - "The Wing Named You" - Track 5 (J-POP)

My favorite was Osaka Lover strangely. Its the one that I felt the ride was designed around. They also change some songs seasonally.

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by alpengeistno3 at 12/21/11 5:53:33 PM

It looks like quite an impressive layout for an almost straight out and back hyper. Lots of low to the ground hills in rapid succession. There is considerably more room being used for Hollywood Dream, but if Universal Orlando had thought outside of the box (either running the extra track above or around the City Walk or in that area that appears unused between Jaws and MIB), they could have got another impressive B&M instead of that mess Mahrer Sonne sold them.

Paul

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by Tomes at 12/25/11 3:04:39 AM

Hollywood Dream has series of low to the ground hills probably because that's all they have momentum for. The ride is only 144' so it's not a true hyper. HRRR is 167'. I didn't ride HD (though I saw it from the entrance to the Osaka Aquarium) but it doesn't look very impressive to me. RRR has something unique to offer that u don't get on 10s of coasters around the states, and despite its four break runs I think it's a good ride..

I always seem to disagree with most of the opinions in this forum... Different taste I guess :-)

Re: Hollywood: Brake Run Rockit?!!! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/25/11 6:18:21 PM

^^^I agree that there are some unique/uncommon aspects to H:RRR (on board audio, vertical lift & drop, non-inverting loop) but IMO all of the other supposed 'elements' after the first brake are average at best; Them being overbraked certainly doesn't help either.