Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2

Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2

alpengeistno3

Posted:
12/4/11 at
7:46:24 PM

Island of Adventure
Okay, here is the 2nd day of my Orlando trip on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I had planned to get to the park at the 9:00 opening and do the “running of the bulls” to Harry Potter. Unfortunately, my friend, who was going to Disney with her family had other plans and decided to turn off the alarm clock and NOT WAKE ME UP. WTFreakin’H!!!! I wound up waking up at 9:00 instead of my planned 7:30 and had to ride the trolley over to Universal and take my ¾ of a mile walk which took me until 10:30 to get there, 1 ½ hours late. Needless to say, the line for Harry Potter line was far from reasonable, 2 hours by that time. The entire area was mobbed, like everyone in the park was crammed in those tiny alleys. Even the shops had lines to get in them and we will not even mention the line for Butterbeer!! I am not a Harry Potter fan in the least bit; haven’t seen the movies, don’t know anything about the books. No doubt that this was the best expansion/franchise for Universal to get on board with. I wish Disney luck with Avatar, but no matter how well they do it, it will never come close to creating the stir that Universal has gotten from HP.

Once I pushed through the craziness of Harry Potter (I was unable to find Dueling Dragons at this point due to the ridiculous congestion), I went looking for the Jurassic Park River Ride. Once I found it, it was down, so I had to try to find something else. I decided to attempt to back track to Dueling Dragons, which could not be seen from outside the actual area because the tall gates leading directly to the ride were closed (I found out later that Universal funnels everyone through the Jurassic park area to the side by the Harry Potter ride to manage its line. The other gate is not even opened until almost 12:00.) I wound up at Poseidon’s Fury. It had a 45 minute wait posted, but we were in the 1st chamber in around 20 minutes. The effects were very nicely done, but not particularly worth that much time. Especially with Hulk still left undone.

So, it was around 12:30 now and I decided to get lunch. I knew I was staying in IOA all day, so I sprung for the Meal Deal. $20 for all you can eat at 3 of the “cheap” restaurants came in handy for a quick munch between rides (even if the food was nothing but burgers, chicken, or pizza). For $8 more you can add drinks, so it came out to $30. I would have paid more than that for lunch and dinner, so it was a bargain.

After lunch, it was time to quit playing around and get to Hulk. The line was around 45 mins, but the single rider line took only around 15. Best of all, I got the back row, which is exactly what I wanted. The ride, wow!! I have seen Hulk on video, but video does not do the ride any justice. The launch straight up into the zero G roll was not the most forceful, but it was an exhilarating start to the ride compared to the usual pre-dip that B&M usually employs. The cobra roll was quite forceful, more so than Dominator or Medusa/Bizarro . I didn’t expect so much mist in the tunnel after the vertical loop. The 1st half of the ride never lets up until the block brake. The 2nd half, which is really only about 1/4 of the total ride, kinda meanders, but kept up the intensity. I loved it and ran back around for another ride.

After my two Hulk rides, I decided to see what all the Spiderman hype was about. The line was around 30 mins, but the single rider line was less than 5. I have heard how Darkastle was based on Spiderman, but the ride system is the only similarity between the two. Universal really hit the ball out of the park when they made Spidey. The interaction between the screens, vehicles, and even the props in the room is so much more than the “throwing stuff and pointing knives in your face” that Busch did. I am really disappointed that BGE missed the mark by so much!! I don’t think I have ever ran back around to get in line for a simulator, but I did for Spidey without hesitation. It’s THAT good!!

Since it was next door, I decided to do Doom’s Fearfall. I went to the single rider line since the posted wait was another 45 mins. It was not easy to get to, a trip through the arcade, up the stairs, through the exit doors. It might have been nice to see the story, which I am sure was explained in the 45 min queue line, but other than that, it was just another S&S tower ride. I did like that the door leading to the control room said “Doombots only”. The “Doombots” were quite friendly as they strapped us into Doom’s evil device.

After Doom, I decided to head to try Jurassic Park again, (the lines for Dudley Do Right and Bluto’s Barges were ridiculous at 45 mins apiece, but the sign for Jurassic Park said 15 mins.) I started to get my locker for my souvenir cup when I realized there was a charge at JP (none of the coasters charged until after the posted wait time. I was like “Hell-to-the-no” and went to get a bite to eat at the restaurant while I made my plan. After a itsy-bitsy grilled chicken sandwich, I went back to Jurassic and decided to just see if they would let me take it with me. They did and the wait was down to less than 5 mins, so I walked on. Jurassic Park reminded me of an extended version of Escape from Pompeii at BGE. You had the ride-though the “peaceful” dinos, then the ride though the compound before the big drop at the end. It’s amazing how little of the ride is actually in that big huge building, but Universal can afford that. The T-Rex was the only animatronic that was impressive.

After JP, I decided to give Harry Potter another try. No doing, the wait was only down to 1 ½ hrs, but the area was not as congested, so I decided to look around. Came up on the “no longer dueling” Dragon Challenge, which had a post ½ hour wait. I rode Fire as everyone has raved about that side being the best. The grouper stuck me in row 5 which offered nothing in terms of forces. The wait was down to 15 mins, so I figured I would go ahead and get Ice out of the way while I was there. I didn’t ride Ice until my 3rd ride. For some reason, the Fire line was moving way faster than the Ice side (I really HATE groupers when I am a single rider as I can usually find my own seat a lot quicker than they can assign them. FoF is a prime example of that.) When I got to the split, I opted for that and requested the back. I got it :) My impression of a “real” Fire ride actually in a way mirrors Rip Ride Rockit at Studios. They put a lot of non-standard tricks like the camel back over Ice’s zero G roll and the wraparound Immellmann. They were neat to look at, but did nothing to enhance the ride (the wraparound was cool, but I preferred the exit from Ice’s cobra roll. Over all, I give the edge to Ice as the better dragon.

After my 3 rides on Dragons, I went to get another bite to eat in the Suess café. The pizza was borderline edible, but “free” to try, so I couldn’t complain. I found it weird that the Suess train actually runs through the ceiling of the restaurant, ala Disney’s Tomorrowland People Movers going through Space Mountain. Only Dr. Suessland could have such a wacky park attraction! After dinner, I went back to Superhero Island to get some more Hulk rides and another look at Spiderman. Hulk was less than 5 mins at this point and Spidey was a complete walk on.

I, against my usual judgment took a night ride on Dudley Do-Right. Normally out of the question for me to ride any water ride after 6:00 PM, but I have heard good things about the ride being a water coaster of sorts and it was still around 70 degrees. Dudley turned out be a tight fit for my long legs to fit behind the added restraints (don’t know if it opened that way, but it was clearly just a standard log flume boat with lapbars bolted on.) I had to slide my feet on the wet floor to get in behind them. The ride was very reminiscent of Splash Mountain with some kind of story that I don’t remember, ending with the splash down which had an underground tunnel with simulated wooden roller coaster track and a speed bump before hitting the water. Cute, but hardly a water coaster as Hershey’s flume does the same maneuver without all the theming.

I decided to check out the "disgusting" Asian cuisine at the Cartoon café and suck it up for HP. The line was still 1 hour, so I went to try the Hippogriff coaster right next door with its 15 minute wait. I have no idea what a hippogriff is, but it wasn’t important for the ride on this junior coaster. I got assigned a middle seat near the front, so there was nothing to write home about. It was a bit speedier than it looked so maybe if I had gotten a back seat ride, it might have been a decent ride on the level of Runaway Train at Gradv.

It was now 8:00 and with the park closing at 9:00, if I’m going to do HP, it is now or never. I went up to the ride and the line was down to 15 minutes. Definitely do-able. Even better, there was a single rider line. The ops were nice enough to let me walk the regular queue and bounce over to the single rider line once I got to the split point. Having not known anything about Harry Potter than it is about a boy wizard and his friends, most of the fine points of the queue area were lost on me. I can see how Harry Potter fans would wet their pants as there were lots of details that I am sure are seen in the movies/books. I got in the single rider line which was less than 5 minute wait and boarded the continuously moving bench. One word, WOWWWWW!!! I’m amazed that Universal is able to sync each one of the Robocoaster arms with the screen action to create a Haunted Mansion style conveyance system with all of the detail and immersion of the Spiderman ride. I never though Disney could be outdone in creating an experience, but HP is easily the best attraction in Orlando. I can’t imagine the price tag on even one of those Robocoasters, but I’m sure they must be a beast to keep operating all day long. I immediately went back for another ride. Then we had a shutdown right before our bench entered the ride area. We sat there for around 10 mins when the ride op announced she was going to turn on the lights. Darn, I’m in the station still, so there was nothing to see. I would love to get a good look at the inner workings of the ride area (and the robocoasters themselves.) Apparently this happens often as many people have told me that it has happened to them, so I just was “unlucky”. They got the ride operational again after another 5-10 mins.

At this point, my feet were starting to feel the wear and tear of 2 straight days of walking parks and I still had my 30+ minute walk from the back of Harry Potter World back to the City Walk and to the trolley stop outside of Universal, so I skipped a final ride on Dragons.

Overall, the coasters at IOA were top notch (despite my being less than impressed with Fire, it was still only as “bad” as Great Bear at Hershey, which is not a bad ride at all.) I was impressed with a lot of non-coaster attractions as well in Spiderman and Harry Potter and overall the lines were not too bad. Back at the hotel, I arranged for 2 wake-up calls and set my phone to ring 3 times to make sure my friend could not mess with my Busch Gardens Tampa plans for Thanksgiving Day. This was the highlight of the whole trip.

Thanks for reading and I’ll workon the BGT TR this week.

Paul

PS
Looks like the Redskins are going to lose this game, too, 34-19. At least I got this TR done, since we haven't played hardly anything this entire game (a couple "Hail to the Redskins" after the field goals.) Jets fans are really excited to show they passed their spelling test last week (chanting J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!) as everyone else is heading to the parking lot to get an early start on the traffic. Oh well, "Suck for Luck"!!

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/4/11 8:36:34 PM

> Looks like the Redskins are going to lose this game, too,
> 34-19. At least I got this TR done, since we haven't played
> hardly anything this entire game (a couple "Hail to
> the Redskins" after the field goals.) Jets fans are
> really excited to show they passed their spelling test last
> week (chanting J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!) as everyone else
> is heading to the parking lot to get an early start on the
> traffic. Oh well, "Suck for Luck"!!

I was thinking about you while watching the game. J-E-T-S Jets, Jets Jets!! I CAN spell too! :~)

OK, back to topic. I haven't ridden HP yet but I can't wait to do so. I hear it's fabulous. I've seen most of the movies but haven't read the books. As far as non-dueling dragons, I'm pretty sure I like Ice better too. Can't remember for sure though. I LOVE Spidey too - best simulator out there IMO. A lot of fun. How were Jurassic Park's animations running? The last time I was there very few of the dinos were functional. They are all pretty much supposed to do something. As I've said in previous posts the one in Hollywood was in MUCH better condition, but that was many years ago and it may be deteriorating now too. Have they darkened the house where the T-rex is? That was my biggest complaint - that you could clearly see him when the boat enters. At USH you could not until he came down. The first time I rode it was there and it really took me by surprise - was not expecting it. It was awesome.

I love the Hulk too - good, solid all around coaster with a launch!

Curious to see how you compare Sheikra to my new love Griffon in your next installment.....

Jen

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/4/11 9:41:19 PM

Great TR! I wished I were more on time with mine, but I'll make my comments about the rides:

Hulk, indeed, I love that ride. Launch is what makes it so awesome! THank god for that single rider line. I couldride 3 times compared to about once if I had to wait on the regular line.

Doom - yeah I had to ask the employee where the single rider line was. I had no idea it was thru the arcade. Also they never really check the 'back' as much - so if a person wanted to, they could get a reride by just getting on the single rider line and not have to go thru the regular line. You really don't miss much of the preshow stuff. The vids are just 'propaganda' clips 'all hail Dr. Doom' etc.. THe ride was standard, and although the theme looks nice, it just feels like a disappointment overall.

Spiderman is fantastic, I am a fan of the character and the villains were pretty good [except for Scream who does nothing other than scratch at the window]. Hobgoblin's pumpkin bombs are great when they hit something. Compared to Darkastle, yes Spidey's effects are much much better. Who knows, maybe the new owners of the BG parks might make adjustments?

Dudley Do-right, yeah, not a fan of the seating. I usually go for the last seat if possible because I don't like the feeling of someone's shoes on my sides. Also I like water rides, but on the same coin, I hate getting soaked. Other than splash mountain [where I don't get that soaked] any flume type rides, I avoid the front row like the plague.

Jurassic park, last time I was there [last year]: all the dinos were working, even the V-raptor cage dropped above the boat. I rode JP for several years, and it was in the past few years that they finally worked that/turned it on.

HP - I did get stuck at the 'cave' segment. SO the ride will have a hiccup, but it isn't too bad for a new ride. But yeah, it is a very fun ride. Disney must be fuming they didn't get a ride like that :)

Hippogriff or ex-unicorn was meh. Standard Jr. coaster, I was fortunate to get a 'back row' seat - last car was the 'tail' [no one can sit in it] which seems like a waste of a seat. The only thing good about it was theming with the creatures near the lift hill.

I'm more a fan of a smoother over rough ride, so I still prefer Fire over 'Ice' because I hate the cobra roll on inverts.

Yes, i found it neat about the Dr. Seuss train goes thru the restaurant. The pasta there was pretty good too.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by alpengeistno3 at 12/4/11 11:48:06 PM

> Looks like the Redskins are going to lose this game, too,
> 34-19. At least I got this TR done, since we haven't played
> hardly anything this entire game (a couple "Hail to
> the Redskins" after the field goals.) Jets fans are
> really excited to show they passed their spelling test last
> week (chanting J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!) as everyone else
> is heading to the parking lot to get an early start on the
> traffic. Oh well, "Suck for Luck"!!

> I was thinking about you while watching the game. J-E-T-S
> Jets, Jets Jets!! I CAN spell too! :~)

I have the gold stars I give my students if you would like one :)

> OK, back to topic. I haven't ridden HP yet but I can't wait
> to do so. I hear it's fabulous.

It's funny that no one has been able to adequately describe it before my report. It is Spiderman done even better!

As far as non-dueling
> dragons, I'm pretty sure I like Ice better too. Can't
> remember for sure though.

Yay, I'm not crazy. Everyone I have heard from before felt Fire was better, but I felt like it was not even close. Ice was way more intense with the snappy zero-G roll and the forceful cobra roll.

How were Jurassic
> Park's animations running? The last time I was there very
> few of the dinos were functional. They are all pretty much
> supposed to do something.

Having never ridden the ride before, it seemed as if everything was working as it should. The T-rex came up sooner than I thought (big huge building, but very little of the ride was actually in the building) There was a small lift, like on Pompeii before the big drop that was pretty much lighted, so it's not like you could not tell it was coming. I did feel like with the exception of the T-Rex, all the other animatronic were "Pirates of the Caribbean" level of sophistication (especially the ultrasaur). For a ride built almost 40 years later, I expected better.

> I love the Hulk too - good, solid all around coaster with a
> launch!

It's so interesting that Universal could have got a launched Intamin or even a Premier. It would have been easier, but none of those companies could at the time build a ride that embodied the power of the Hulk like a 4 across roaring Beemer. And to say, "you build the ride, we'll get the launch done ourselves", that is just awesome ingenuity. Just to show you why they are the ones who came up with Spiderman and Harry Potter :)

> Curious to see how you compare Sheikra to my new love
> Griffon in your next installment.....

It's coming. No teasers this time :)

Thanks for reading.

Paul

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by alpengeistno3 at 12/5/11 12:14:18 AM

> Great TR! I wished I were more on time with mine, but I'll
> make my comments about the rides:

> Hulk, indeed, I love that ride. Launch is what makes it so
> awesome! THank god for that single rider line. I couldride
> 3 times compared to about once if I had to wait on the
> regular line.

Black Friday was absolute nirvana!! No line for Hulk at all from 6:00 to 10:00 close (oops, I sort of spoiled my last day at IOA TR.) Oh well, it had to be said.

> Doom - yeah I had to ask the employee where the single
> rider line was. I had no idea it was thru the arcade.

I didn't even pretend to know, so I asked right off the bat. Never would have guessed that you had to do all of that to get there.

Also
> they never really check the 'back' as much - so if a person
> wanted to, they could get a reride by just getting on the
> single rider line and not have to go thru the regular line.

It is unfortunate they were only running 1 tower, so even the single rider line was somewhat long.

> Spiderman is fantastic, I am a fan of the character and the
> villains were pretty good [except for Scream who does
> nothing other than scratch at the window].

I only know Spidey from Spidey and His Amazing Friends and the 90's cartoon, so Scream was new to me. Apparently she wasn't important since she played the least role in the ride action as well.

Compared
> to Darkastle, yes Spidey's effects are much much better.
> Who knows, maybe the new owners of the BG parks might make
> adjustments?

Darkastle basically recycles the effects that King Arthur's challenge used when it replaced Questor before becoming Corkscrew Hill (and now Europe in the Air). As bad as that ride was, (it only lasted one season.) it is laughable that Busch would use the same tricks on such a modern ride system. As for them being replaced, well we'll have to wait and see what Busch will want to do after they get done with Verbolten.

> Dudley Do-right, yeah, not a fan of the seating. I usually
> go for the last seat if possible because I don't like the
> feeling of someone's shoes on my sides. Also I like water
> rides, but on the same coin, I hate getting soaked. Other
> than splash mountain [where I don't get that soaked] any
> flume type rides, I avoid the front row like the plague.

I hardly got a drop on me until the row of guest operated geysers at the end. I wish there was a "disable" button that you could press if you didn't want them to soak you.

> Jurassic park, last time I was there [last year]: all the
> dinos were working, even the V-raptor cage dropped above
> the boat. I rode JP for several years, and it was in the
> past few years that they finally worked that/turned it on.

It was working just fine when I rode.

> HP - I did get stuck at the 'cave' segment. SO the ride
> will have a hiccup, but it isn't too bad for a new ride.
> But yeah, it is a very fun ride. Disney must be fuming they
> didn't get a ride like that :)

Agreed. I wonder if they will try to build some variation once they get their Avatar area up.

> Hippogriff or ex-unicorn was meh. Standard Jr. coaster, I
> was fortunate to get a 'back row' seat - last car was the
> 'tail' [no one can sit in it] which seems like a waste of a
> seat. The only thing good about it was theming with the
> creatures near the lift hill.

As Jen will tell you, I have nothing against Jr. coasters as long as the line is short. It was pretty speedy compared to Blackbeard at Gradv or Trailblazer at HP, so it wasn't the worst Jr. coaster I have ridden. So it used to be a Unicorn, eh?

> I'm more a fan of a smoother over rough ride, so I still
> prefer Fire over 'Ice' because I hate the cobra roll on
> inverts.

Inverted cobra rolls are the best (see Alpengeist), but you didn't like that one either, so I can understand your feelings.

> Yes, i found it neat about the Dr. Seuss train goes thru
> the restaurant. The pasta there was pretty good too.

Now that I think of it, I did get the spaghetti and meatballs from there. (the pizza was somewhere else, maybe the Cartoon Café.) I usually prefer meat sauce to giant meat balls, but it was quite good (hopefully that wasn't the train grease I was tasting. Do you think any of the Northern area parks could get a train to drive though one of their restaurants every 2 minutes?)

Thanks for reading, Phil!

Paul

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/5/11 12:31:37 AM

:D

Yeah, they really could've done a better job as far as signs for the single rider line for Doom. Also for me they usually used just the one tower when I was there. I guess it isn't that popular a ride?

Scream is new to me as well, the ride was the first time I saw that character. Obviously Venom or Carnage would've upstaged Doc Oc, so they couldn't be used. [Not to mention give kids nightmares :)]

Oh I so hate those geysers, I was on the Atlantis ride at Sea world and was more or less unscathe till a 'jerk' popped in a quarter to splash us. I forgot if he set off two in a row, but I got soaked more that way than the big drop.

I am actually looking forward to see what Disney does with the Avatar stuff. I can only hope they can top the stuff with Twilight Zone or Dinosaur, etc. Then again doesn't Universal have 'ex-Imaginieers'? Wouldn't surprise me they'd take Disney's "loss".

Quite the contrary, if not for the cobra, Alpengeist was very enjoyable. The first drop is just wonderful. I had no idea it was that high till i looked up the stats on wiki.

Lol, nothing comes to mind. It is interesting, but then again, I don't want people to be taking pics/vids while I'm eating. Hehe. Let me eat in peace.
Speaking of eating places, the Fantastic 4 cafe had some pretty good pasta food as well. The main downside is that place can be packed and noisy. The Seuss one [maybe granted it wasn't lunch hour] seemed quieter.

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by alpengeistno3 at 12/5/11 12:56:40 AM

> :D

> Yeah, they really could've done a better job as far as
> signs for the single rider line for Doom. Also for me they
> usually used just the one tower when I was there. I guess
> it isn't that popular a ride?

Popular enough for a 45 minute wait!! Ironically, they had both towers going Black Friday and it was a total walkon. More on that later.

> Scream is new to me as well, the ride was the first time I
> saw that character. Obviously Venom or Carnage would've
> upstaged Doc Oc, so they couldn't be used. [Not to mention
> give kids nightmares :)]

She was so pointless in the ride, any villain from Lizard to Vulture could have filled her role. Wonder why they picked such an obscure one?

> I am actually looking forward to see what Disney does with
> the Avatar stuff. I can only hope they can top the stuff
> with Twilight Zone or Dinosaur, etc. Then again doesn't
> Universal have 'ex-Imaginieers'? Wouldn't surprise me
> they'd take Disney's "loss".

Hmm, ex-Imagineers working for Universal? That explains a lot of their vision (and Disney's recent lack of it. Everest could have been a lot more than what it turned out to be.)

> Quite the contrary, if not for the cobra, Alpengeist was
> very enjoyable. The first drop is just wonderful. I had no
> idea it was that high till i looked up the stats on wiki.

Alpengeist doesn't seem like it's almost 200 feet high until you you take the time to look straight down at the top of the lift. That ravine does not do the ride any favors in the intimidation factor.

> Lol, nothing comes to mind. It is interesting, but then
> again, I don't want people to be taking pics/vids while I'm
> eating. Hehe. Let me eat in peace.
> Speaking of eating places, the Fantastic 4 café had some
> pretty good pasta food as well. The main downside is that
> place can be packed and noisy. The Seuss one [maybe granted
> it wasn't lunch hour] seemed quieter.

Totally agree about the Café 4 being a mad house. Fortunately, it was not included on the meal plan, despite having the exact same food as the other restaurants that were included. Go figure!!

Paul

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/5/11 11:41:00 AM

> Oh I so hate those geysers, I was on the Atlantis ride at
> Sea world and was more or less unscathe till a 'jerk'
> popped in a quarter to splash us. I forgot if he set off
> two in a row, but I got soaked more that way than the big
> drop.

I think if they are going to shoot me I get to shoot them back - with REAL weapons! Those idiots can completely ruin my entire day at a park if I'm walking around in soaked clothes and uncomfortable. Whoever came up with that brilliant idea needs to be fired....

Jen

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/5/11 11:58:38 AM

Paul said: "She was so pointless in the ride, any villain from Lizard to Vulture could have filled her role. Wonder why they picked such an obscure one? "

I'm not familiar with the character, but is she good-looking? That may go a ways toward answering that question...the comic book world is very much male-dominated, and a change of pace is nice.

Mike, still waiting for the Batgirl coaster...

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 12/5/11 12:07:03 PM

My best experience for Harry Potter was when it had a 45 minute queue, not a walk-on. There is so much to see and look at in the queue and it is part of the overall ride experience. Plus, the line on this ride keeps moving at a nice pace, so the wait doesn't get on your nerves.

I think an hour is still a very reasonable wait for Harry Potter because of the queue experience (it's a show itself) and beyond that it starts to get a bit long. The longest I would be willing to wait would be about 75 minutes.

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/5/11 12:23:33 PM

The longest I
> would be willing to wait would be about 75 minutes.

As a Potter fan..books, not so much flicks...if it was my first visit and first time on the ride, I'd wait 90 minutes or so.

Mike

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by alpengeistno3 at 12/5/11 7:09:10 PM

> Paul said: "She was so pointless in the ride, any
> villain from Lizard to Vulture could have filled her role.
> Wonder why they picked such an obscure one? "

> I'm not familiar with the character, but is she
> good-looking? That may go a ways toward answering that
> question...the comic book world is very much
> male-dominated, and a change of pace is nice.

> Mike, still waiting for the Batgirl coaster...

>

Picture Venom with "hair-like" headress and implied boobs. Not exactly a looker, I'm afraid. You maybe saw her for 10 seconds during the entire ride, 5 seconds up close.

Would that Batgirl coaster have lots of hills or curves?

Paul

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by alpengeistno3 at 12/5/11 7:13:21 PM

> My best experience for Harry Potter was when it had a 45
> minute queue, not a walk-on. There is so much to see and
> look at in the queue and it is part of the overall ride
> experience. Plus, the line on this ride keeps moving at a
> nice pace, so the wait doesn't get on your nerves.

> I think an hour is still a very reasonable wait for Harry
> Potter because of the queue experience (it's a show itself)
> and beyond that it starts to get a bit long. The longest I
> would be willing to wait would be about 75 minutes.

Seeing how I had no knowledge of or interest in the "Harry Potter" part of Harry Potter, an hour of that during what was prime riding time would have killed me. Maybe if I had an hour to kill, it may have been worth it.

Paul

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/5/11 9:50:36 PM

Well Paul pretty much summed up the scream creature. But technically I would use carnage as a better reference as far as patterns goes.

Lol. I could imagine a batgirl or wonder woman type coaster :wink wink: but that's another story.

As for hp: I would not get on the regular line so long as the single rider line is open. My cousin is a big hp fan and even I would think anything over 45 min waiting over a single rider line is too much for her. Plus even on the single rider line u still get to see some of the interiors like the talkig paintings and the talking hat. So it's not like u must wait in the regular line to get the pre ride experience.

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 12/8/11 7:42:24 PM

Great TR Paul. It sounds like you had a great time. I also like Ice Dragon more than Fire Dragon. Ice Dragon just seems more extreme. I also agree Hulk sort of calms down on the second half, but it's still an awesome coaster. The thing I don't understand is that they built DD and Hulk before the park opened, but they haven't built a major coaster since then. I was also impressed with Spiderman. I also really liked Jurassic Park. I would like to get back and see the new HP area. From what you described, it sounds awesome. Can't wait for your BG TR.

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by alpengeistno3 at 12/9/11 4:11:31 AM

> Great TR Paul. It sounds like you had a great time. I also
> like Ice Dragon more than Fire Dragon. Ice Dragon just
> seems more extreme. I also agree Hulk sort of calms down on
> the second half, but it's still an awesome coaster. The
> thing I don't understand is that they built DD and Hulk
> before the park opened, but they haven't built a major
> coaster since then.

Thanks, it's interesting how much support there seems to be for Ice now. I seem to remember it being the other way around when the ride just opened back in 99 and the early 2000's when I got into URC.

One thing about the Orlando parks (and you can probably blame it on Disney); they don't need a new coaster to keep people coming. Seriously, when is the last time Disney has built one in the Magic Kingdom? Though I bet you a new coaster would have cost IOA a lot less than Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey, there is no doubt they are getting a better return on their gate than if they had just built a regular coaster in the castle.

Wait no longer, it is up :)

Paul

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/9/11 7:49:46 PM

I dunno about roller coasters, now if you mean something 'tame' like a mouse or 'hippogriff' at IOA just snaking around inside the castle, maybe. But there are some people that I knew that won't get on a coaster because the very thought of it freaks them out. Robo-coaster, not a problem. But that's just my take on it.

Heh, well I guess i'm alone on support for fire it seems. lol. But that's fine, if we had a trip to IOA, I know i'll have less seats to fight over :)

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/9/11 8:31:36 PM

> Heh, well I guess i'm alone on support for fire it seems.

Not at all... great coaster, right up there with Montu and Afterburn. And it'a aged fairly well for a twelve year old invert.

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/9/11 9:26:37 PM

Cool. Good to know :)
For me it's a limited list of B&M inverts so top down: Montu, Fire dragon, Alpengeist [i can forive the cobra, but for goodness sakes make the MCB smoother!], Ice dragon, Batman TR.

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by alpengeistno3 at 12/9/11 10:40:42 PM

> I dunno about roller coasters, now if you mean something
> 'tame' like a mouse or 'hippogriff' at IOA just snaking
> around inside the castle, maybe. But there are some people
> that I knew that won't get on a coaster because the very
> thought of it freaks them out. Robo-coaster, not a problem.
> But that's just my take on it.

People are willing to venture into the unknown. As soon as you say "roller coaster," everyone has some idea in their mind, good or bad of what it is (and whether they are willing to ride it). When you say "robo coaster," or "new interactive ride" as the park map says, people don't have any preconceived idea what that is. And because of all the trappings in the queue line, they are willing to try it out.

I must admit Harry Potter made me somewhat sick after 2 near back to back rides. It really is a very "aggressive" simulator due to the wide range of motion the arms are able to achieve. I wonder how many people are less able to hold down their cookies or wind up boarding the ride expecting something tamer.

> Heh, well I guess i'm alone on support for fire it seems.
> lol. But that's fine, if we had a trip to IOA, I know i'll
> have less seats to fight over :)

Nothing wrong with Fire. It is a great ride, like Great Bear, IMO. Just not as aggressive as Ice.

Paul

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/9/11 10:57:04 PM

Very true, HP is not a ride I'd want to do a marathon on. I can take a few 'spins' but eventually I might get dizzy and even ready for a 'protein spill'. Exactly, people have no idea what to expect with a 'robo coaster', so right away they have a blank slate in terms of love/hate feelings towards it.

I guess I am 'old' in the sense that I don't enjoy the 'rougher' rides. Not like I can't take it, but I prefer smooth rides. Whenever I have to brace my ear from getting slammed into the otsr, it ruins the ride experince slightly for me.

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by alpengeistno3 at 12/9/11 11:53:31 PM

> I guess I am 'old' in the sense that I don't enjoy the
> 'rougher' rides. Not like I can't take it, but I prefer
> smooth rides. Whenever I have to brace my ear from getting
> slammed into the otsr, it ruins the ride experince slightly
> for me.

See, I told you didn't really miss anything by missing Drachen Fire. It had a nasty tendency to do EXACTLY what you hate!

Paul

Re: Orlando Trip report Thanksgiving 2011: Day 2 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/9/11 11:59:57 PM

lol! True :)