Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-(
Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/2/11 7:19:30 PM

Sorry to see it go, but to be honest, we haven't been on that attraction in nearly ten years. We skipped it on our visit to USF last month as well as two years ago. I don't even know it my kids will remember seeing it (we did walk past it last month but nobody expressed an interest).

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by alpengeistno3 at 12/2/11 7:30:18 PM

Well, having just ridden Jaws last week, I can say it won't be missed by me. Cute concept, but like Twister and Earthquake (Disaster, now), it's time for an upgrade.

Paul

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/2/11 8:03:01 PM

Jaws is one of my favorite movies, and still holds up 36 years later. I don't imagine the ride has done the same. On my first visit, somewhere around 1993-94, my buddy and I waited nearly four hours..still the longest I've ever waited for a ride. It kept breaking down while we were on line, including for an hour and a half when we would have been next to board. On my second visit about seven years ago, there were no issues and I enjoyed it. But those were my only two rides. While I appreciate its historical value as one of USF's original and signature rides, I guess its time is past. I didn't find it anything super-duper special, but I liked it.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 12/2/11 9:25:51 PM

I'm a little surprised they're pulling the plug without a replacement attraction announced. Universal Studios Florida is a little short on attractions in my opinion. That area of the park is really going to be a dead zone.

I'll have to check out Jaws again this week.

-Eric

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/2/11 11:11:04 PM

> Sorry to see it go, but to be honest, we haven't been on
> that attraction in nearly ten years. We skipped it on our
> visit to USF last month as well as two years ago. I don't
> even know it my kids will remember seeing it (we did walk
> past it last month but nobody expressed an interest).

I totally agree with you and Paul. I can't even remember the last time that I rode Jaws; I believe that I skipped it on my last two visits. IMO USO has been doing a good job in 'weeding out' the outdated afterthought attractions; Back to the Future was another one.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/3/11 4:50:26 PM

> Sorry to see it go, but to be honest, we haven't been on
> that attraction in nearly ten years... (we did walk
> past it last month but nobody expressed an interest).

> I totally agree with you and Paul. I can't even remember
> the last time that I rode Jaws; I believe that I skipped it
> on my last two visits. IMO USO has been doing a good job in
> 'weeding out' the outdated afterthought attractions; Back
> to the Future was another one.

We always rode BTTF on every visit (also T2/3D and Twister) and have ridden Simpsons enough times that we now know "what happens next" just like the others. But Jaws... yeah, it wasn't even that thrilling the first time.

I remember on the Universal Hollywood tour back in the eighties, the shark would surface and splash the tram (no real rides back then... just the Psycho house, BTTF clock tower and the Bionic Man "time tunnel"). Experiencing an actual Jaws "ride" at USO was fun at first but after maybe 2-3 rides in the 90's and early 2000's we'd had enough and would zip over to IOA for some real rides LOL.

The Mummy is a great replacement for Kong, esp given the limited space available. And the Disaster reworking of Earthquake was good enough for a few kicks (it's now much like DHS's Backlot tour) but eventually will need to come out as well. Heck, even MIB is getting old now given the saturation of shootemup dark rides in the market.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/4/11 12:43:23 AM

Jen, I feel ya concerning wanting to ride an attraction that you haven't been on, regardless of mediocre reviews by many. I'm also a 'gotta check it out for myself' type of person too; There are some rides that alot of others don't like and I love. With that being said, you're not missing much with Jaws; Now I could be wrong and you might've liked it, but I would be suprised.

Jungle Cruise a similar ride at Magic Kingdom isn't nothing to write about either, but it's in untouchable Disney World, and everything there is 'vastly superior' to any other park in the world *sarcasm filter required*.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by depotrat at 12/4/11 7:08:19 AM

We were there in April and had planned to skip Jaws. As we passed we noticed it was walk on so we rode. Glad we did now but it really won't be missed by us.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/4/11 10:16:10 AM

> but it's in untouchable Disney
> World, and everything there is 'vastly superior' to any
> other park in the world *sarcasm filter required*.

I have one, but the sarcasm still came through.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/4/11 11:41:05 AM

It just stinks that I was there in 1984, 1990, 2000 and 2005 and all of those times the attraction was not working. I was at the Hollywood one twice and saw the mini-version on the backlot tour there but it would have been nice to see the extended version. I just watched a POV video of it (never watched before b/c I wanted to be surprised when I eventually rode it) and it didn't look that bad. Sure, it's a bit cheesy but most of those attractions are. I just wish they gave more notice that they were removing it. There is no way I'd be able to get there in a few weeks.

Jen

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 12/4/11 11:55:35 AM

> It just stinks that I was there in 1984, 1990, 2000 and
> 2005 and all of those times the attraction was not working.
> I was at the Hollywood one twice and saw the mini-version
> on the backlot tour there but it would have been nice to
> see the extended version. I just watched a POV video of it
> (never watched before b/c I wanted to be surprised when I
> eventually rode it) and it didn't look that bad. Sure, it's
> a bit cheesy but most of those attractions are. I just wish
> they gave more notice that they were removing it. There is
> no way I'd be able to get there in a few weeks.

> Jen

USF was swamp land in '84.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/4/11 12:06:15 PM

> USF was swamp land in '84.

> Joe
> Great_Ump

I asked my mother when we went and she said 1984 and 1990 - just called her back and she said it was 1994 or 95 when we went back with my brother. I swear she said 84 originally but there's no arguing with mom. Sorry!

Jen

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 12/4/11 1:51:04 PM

> USF was swamp land in '84.

> Joe
> Great_Ump

> I asked my mother when we went and she said 1984 and 1990 -
> just called her back and she said it was 1994 or 95 when we
> went back with my brother. I swear she said 84 originally
> but there's no arguing with mom. Sorry!

> Jen

No worries!

I spent quite a bit of time this weekend reading up on USF's history and found a number of sites that were devoted to the opening of the park.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/4/11 2:33:22 PM

You helped me realize, Joe, that my timetable was off by a few years. It thought my first visit to Universal was around 1993-94. But I know I was there about 2-3 months after the Studios opened, so I guess it was actually '90.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Tomes at 12/4/11 3:36:37 PM

Here is my opinion:

Just to put it in perspective
- Simpsons replacing Back To The Future: An AMAZING improvement! BTTF was painful and not very interesting
-Revenge of The Mummy replacing Kong: Again, EXTREMELY well done! Was worth the loss of a decent ride

What did MIB replace, and what about H:RRR?

But based on the Universal track record - I'm really excited that they're going to put something updated and awesome in place of Jaws. Don't get me wrong, it was fun.. The one time I rode it when I was 13. But when I went back to Orlando a year and a half or so ago, we almost didn't go to the studios and just went to IOA. Until I looked at all the new rides that have been installed and updated since my first visit and luckily decided to do a 1-day-2-park expedition. I was extremely pleasantly surprised with the work that Universal is doing. You can tell they are anything but neglecting the studios in favor of IOA (and vice versa of course)

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/4/11 5:44:30 PM

> - Simpsons replacing Back To The Future: An AMAZING
> improvement! BTTF was painful and not very interesting

BTTF was rough, and Simpsons is not? It's the same ride!

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Tomes at 12/4/11 7:48:32 PM

Nope. BTTF hurt, from what I remember. The Simpsons was done in good taste. At least in my opinion.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/4/11 7:48:57 PM

> but it's in untouchable Disney
> World, and everything there is 'vastly superior' to any
> other park in the world *sarcasm filter required*.

> I have one, but the sarcasm still came through.

LOL, I messed up, I meant to say *turn off your sarcasm filter* :)

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/4/11 7:52:26 PM

> Nope. BTTF hurt, from what I remember. The Simpsons was
> done in good taste. At least in my opinion.

I don't recall BTTF hurting, but you're right, Simpsons is a helluva better ride experience. Hell, I would rather ride Jaws than BTTF.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/4/11 9:27:57 PM

To me BTTF wasn't 'that' rough, but as much as I enjoyed the films, it was necessary to replace the ride and thankfully the Simpsons was actually pretty fun theming wise. I can only wish I could say the same about the current seasons of the show. BTTF, if that line was over 30min, I wouldn't get on the line. Simpsons in the first year or 2, I would wait 45min-1 hr. Now it must be 30 min or less unless I am finished with all the other rides there.

I would've liked to have rode Kongfrontation one more time before they closed it down so that I could appreciate the ride when I was older, but I enjoy the Mummy ride - despite it being short.

I think MIB replaced the Bates Hotel? As far as it being 'dated' maybe, but it's still one of the better rides at that park. Other than 'improvements' [change course or stuff], I think it is fine as is.

Disaster is ok, but the only 'imrpovement' over Earthquake is the 'trailer' you see when the train returns to the station. That was totally worth waiting for the ride. But unless it's a walk on for me, I refuse to wait over 30min for it.

As for Jaws: honestly, I am kinda surprised they are pulling the plug on this ride. But otoh, if you rode it once, then that is enough. You get the idea and the next ride, it's all the same. THe only thing Jaws has over Jungle cruise is a grenade launcher, man eating shark and flames. I'm not gonna miss it.

Now the big question is: How much time does ET have left? I'm sure Spielburg wants that to stay [from what i read], but if Jaws is gone, what's to stop Universal from replacing ET as well? ET sits on a pretty big spot - same goes for Fivel's playground [which I'm surprised has not been rethemed/named after all these years.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/4/11 9:57:24 PM

> Now the big question is: How much time does ET have left?
> I'm sure Spielburg wants that to stay [from what i read],
> but if Jaws is gone, what's to stop Universal from
> replacing ET as well? ET sits on a pretty big spot

NOOOOO!!! I really do LOVE that ride. It's one of the attractions I still look forward to riding when I visit - I don't get sick of that one. I was SO upset when they pulled it from Hollywood. There's just something so awesome about hearing "Goodbye Jennifer" in ET's voice at the end. It makes me feel like I'm 12 again and brings me back to a different place and time.

And as I said in Paul's TR, it really is a serene, relaxing ride that has been kept in good condition and a nice break from being in the heat and on your feet as well. I think a place like Universal has to keep some of the classics and that is surely one of them.

Jen

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/4/11 10:26:27 PM

> LOL, I messed up, I meant to say *turn off your sarcasm filter*

In ine episode of the Big Bank Theory, one character says "do I need to pull out my sarcasm sign? and the other asks "you have a sarcasm SIGN?"

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/4/11 11:12:45 PM

Lol, Wall St has a TV show? I know you meant Big Bang theory, funny show. The sheldon character is irreplacable. It won't be the same without him. On a semi-related note, 2 and a half men just sucks without Sheen, that is his show the way Spin City was Mike J Fox's show.

> NOOOOO!!! I really do LOVE that ride. It's one of the
> attractions I still look forward to riding when I visit - I
> don't get sick of that one. I was SO upset when they pulled
> it from Hollywood. There's just something so awesome about
> hearing "Goodbye Jennifer" in ET's voice at the
> end. It makes me feel like I'm 12 again and brings me back
> to a different place and time.

> And as I said in Paul's TR, it really is a serene, relaxing
> ride that has been kept in good condition and a nice break
> from being in the heat and on your feet as well. I think a
> place like Universal has to keep some of the classics and
> that is surely one of them.

> Jen

I do agree about those points, but I don't see Universal as the sentimental type anymore. If they can find something new to bring in the crowds, they will put something new there.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/5/11 12:00:39 AM

> LOL, I messed up, I meant to say *turn off your sarcasm
> filter*

> In ine episode of the Big Bank Theory, one character says
> "do I need to pull out my sarcasm sign? and the other
> asks "you have a sarcasm SIGN?"

I've never heard of Big Bank Theory - is that about the mortgage crisis and bailouts? (takes out sarcasm sign, LOL!)

Jen

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/5/11 2:12:58 AM

I saw a RUMOR on screamscape saying that Jaws at USO will be replaced basically what will be Phase 2 of Harry Potter, but this time on the USO side. It supposed to have an indoor coaster, more butterbeer stands among other things; Here's more info below.

www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_florida.htm#Potter2

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Coaster316 at 12/5/11 4:57:15 AM

Just got back from a trip to Orlando. Did not go to Universal Studios. Had I known of the shutdown it would have changed my plans. By far, my favorite ride at the park. I understand the business decision here, because it hasn't had a line the last few times I've been there, but personally I think it sucks.

Jeff

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Coaster316 at 12/5/11 4:57:15 AM

Double post, but while I'm editing it...

CyclonePhil wrote, "I know you meant Big Bang theory, funny show. The sheldon character is irreplacable. It won't be the same without him."

Is he leaving?

Jeff

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/5/11 10:50:03 AM

> CyclonePhil wrote, "I know you meant Big Bang theory,
> funny show. The sheldon character is irreplacable. It won't
> be the same without him."

> Is he leaving?

This is the first I've heard of it. I didn't understand where his post came from. I had mentioned Big Bang Theory in this thread regarding sarcasm: http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=218935 but then out of the blue he mentions Wall Street and this. I just saw him (Jim Parsons) on late night talk shows last month and he didn't mention anything about it. I don't think he has any other roles (movies etc) that would be more lucrative, and his current role is perfect for him.

Too bad you just missed your favorite USF attraction :(

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/5/11 11:02:06 AM

Rob, Jen and Phil were yanking your chain about Wall Street and financial matters due to your really cool typo of "BANK" for "BANG" You'll notice I didn't pile on. Us older folks gotta stick together! :)

Mike

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/5/11 11:25:19 AM

> Rob, Jen and Phil were yanking your chain about Wall Street
> and financial matters due to your really cool typo of
> "BANK" for "BANG" You'll notice I didn't pile on.

Thanks - I appreciate that. And I never even noticed my typo til you just now pointed it out. The confusing part is that Phil threaded his comment to Jen's post regarding ET, which is several lines down from mine. And there's still no indication of where his comment about "the show won't be the same without him" came from.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 12/5/11 5:51:26 PM

Re: ET

Is ET the only original ride left once Jaws is removed?

Seems like everything else has been replaced?

Joe
Great_Ump

p.s.- bring back the Hanna Barbara simulator!! I loved that ride!

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/5/11 6:07:43 PM

> Is ET the only original ride left once Jaws is removed?
> Seems like everything else has been replaced?

How about T2/3D? I'm not sure when it was installed, but the movie came out in 1991 which I think is around when USF was built.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Tomes at 12/5/11 6:49:53 PM

I really hope ET stays too!

I think it might stay for at least a few more years since it truly is a classic and many people ride it despite its age. It's almost never a walk-on, if I'm not mistaken.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/5/11 8:05:58 PM

> How about T2/3D? I'm not sure when it was installed, but
> the movie came out in 1991 which I think is around when USF
> was built.

T2 was not an original attraction. The park opened in June of 1990. I checked with my buddy and he's sure it was in June we went down, shortly after opening.

Mike

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/5/11 9:40:35 PM

My comment about the big bang was in good natured jest. Nothing malicious about it- honest. And nothing about the character leaving. I just wanted to say he is what makes the show good. IF he were to leave then it won't be the same without him. I never said he was leaving.

As for a Harry potterization of the jaws area, that wouldn't surprise me as it could help relieve the crowds a bit over at ioa. Of course it depends on what kind of ride goes up over jaws though.

Re: Looks like I'll never get to see the Jaws ride now :-( by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/5/11 10:06:46 PM

> How about T2/3D? I'm not sure when it was installed, but
> the movie came out in 1991 which I think is around when USF
> was built.

Mike's right - wasn't there when it opened. Mike and I were actually there around the same time. Small world (Oh wait, that's Disney. LOL!)

According to Wiki it opened in 1996 in Orlando and 1999 in Hollywood.

Looks like ET is the only remaining attraction that opened with the park when looking at the list list of past and present attractions.

Jen