Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Winter Withdrawals

Winter Withdrawals

gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile

Posted:
11/30/11 at
12:26:20 PM

Hey All, I'm sure this is a pretty common feeling right about this time of year, and the end of winter feels ages away. It's been 2 months since I've been lifted or launched up a hill, and I miss the hell out of it.

How does everyone on URC deal with it? How do you get your coaster fix (or a substitute to it) in the winter months? Do you head south? Find alpine slides? Anything?

Right now I'm considering heading south for a weekend (within driving distance). Suggestions? I'm in Michigan, so my only thought so far has been Dollywood and I'm not even sure what stays open down there at this time of year.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Re: Winter Withdrawals by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 11/30/11 5:26:09 PM

View POV videos on Youtube.

Not the same as actually riding one, but helps for a quick fix.

Personally I try to avoid the ones with the douchie commentary.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Winter Withdrawals by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/30/11 7:49:14 PM

> It's been 2 months since I've been lifted or launched
> up a hill, and I miss the hell out of it.

We just returned from two weeks in Orlando so I'm sufficiently charged up for a while. April is only four months away!

Re: Winter Withdrawals by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 12/1/11 3:59:30 AM

I edit pictures I have taken through the year / look at all of the new rides coming in for the new season!

When you think about it the season isn't ever "over" but sadly all regions just don't have the weather to be open all year...hopefully April will get here faster than you think!

I'll end this post with one of my favorite shots from this year. I took this in September at Mt. Olympus in Dells, WI. The coaster is Cyclops!

- mugen

Re: Winter Withdrawals by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/2/11 12:02:33 PM

> I'll end this post with one of my favorite shots from this
> year. I took this in September at Mt. Olympus in Dells, WI.
> The coaster is Cyclops!

> - mugen

What an AWESOME picture!

I just try not to think about it or I get depressed.....

Jen

Re: Winter Withdrawals by maelstrom-xiii maelstrom-xiii Profile at 12/2/11 8:36:01 PM

You could always move to Brisbane, Australia! Movieworld and Dreamworld, while not having the greatest selection of Roller Coasters, stay open year-round.

Re: Winter Withdrawals by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 12/4/11 2:24:48 PM

> I'll end this post with one of my favorite shots from this
> year. I took this in September at Mt. Olympus in Dells, WI.
> The coaster is Cyclops!

> - mugen

> What an AWESOME picture!

> I just try not to think about it or I get depressed.....

> Jen
>

Thank you Jen! I have more that I took from my trip to Mt. olympus and Six Flags Great America but I get sooooo lazy when trying to type out the TR....lol

Re: Winter Withdrawals by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 12/6/11 12:40:57 PM

> You could always move to Brisbane, Australia! Movieworld
> and Dreamworld, while not having the greatest selection of
> Roller Coasters, stay open year-round.

Why go that far? Southern California and Florida parks are open year round. There is no off season for them.

Re: Winter Withdrawals by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 12/6/11 7:05:40 PM

A nice photo of one of the only coasters I rode during the summer 2011 season. I made a trip to Mt Olympus (posted a trip report too). Hades was my draw as I am a fan of Holiday World's Voyage. Hades was my third Gravity Group coaster after Hades, and the Ravine Flyer II of Waldemeer. The cyclops may have been my 2nd favorite coster at Mt Olympus.

MM

Re: Winter Withdrawals by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/6/11 8:32:14 PM

> You could always move to Brisbane, Australia! Movieworld
> and Dreamworld, while not having the greatest selection of
> Roller Coasters, stay open year-round.

> Why go that far? Southern California and Florida parks are
> open year round. There is no off season for them.

Valid point. And us northerners can get there for a long weekend MUCH cheaper! Have you ever seen the prices of flights to Australia?! Never mind flying for 24 hours is not my idea of a good time unless it's on a roller coaster. :~)

Jen

Re: Winter Withdrawals by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/6/11 8:54:02 PM

> Never mind flying for 24 hours is
> not my idea of a good time unless it's on a roller coaster.
> :~)

> Jen

But...but...you were done after 5 rides on Toro. YOU'RE gonna go 24 hours? If that happens, I'll need to be sedated...:)

Re: Winter Withdrawals by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/6/11 8:58:47 PM

> Never mind flying for 24 hours is
> not my idea of a good time unless it's on a roller coaster.
> :~)

> Jen

> But...but...you were done after 5 rides on Toro. YOU'RE
> gonna go 24 hours? If that happens, I'll need to be
> sedated...:)

LOL! Not 24 hours straight (I'd need to be sedated too) but 24 hours with breaks and all (and probably a nap) and I'm in!

Jen

Re: Winter Withdrawals by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/6/11 9:08:55 PM

> Never mind flying for 24 hours is
> not my idea of a good time unless it's on a roller coaster.
> :~)

> Jen

> But...but...you were done after 5 rides on Toro. YOU'RE
> gonna go 24 hours? If that happens, I'll need to be
> sedated...:)

> LOL! Not 24 hours straight (I'd need to be sedated too) but
> 24 hours with breaks and all (and probably a nap) and I'm
> in!

> Jen

Always wondered if I could do that. I'm sure I could, depending on the ride. I actually think, though, that I WOULDN'T be able to do it on Toro. Nitro and Wooden Warrior would probably be my candidates.

Re: Winter Withdrawals by frontrow frontrow Profile at 12/8/11 8:59:54 AM

In the off season I have other hobbies that keep me busy. Riding coasters is my favorite thing to do, but fly fishing for Lake Erie Steelhead is probably my second choice. Just like I travel the country to ride coasters, I travel to fish the finest fisheries in the US. I also keep busy by tying my own flies. The difference between the two is when I attend an amusement park I'm going to have a great time. It's a given that I'm going to ride coasters. With fishing, the amount of success you have determines how fun it is. But I'm like the rest of you in that I count down the months to the next coaster season.

Re: Winter Withdrawals by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/8/11 6:41:45 PM

> In the off season I have other hobbies that keep me busy.
> Riding coasters is my favorite thing to do, but fly fishing
> for Lake Erie Steelhead is probably my second choice. Just
> like I travel the country to ride coasters, I travel to
> fish the finest fisheries in the US. I also keep busy by
> tying my own flies. The difference between the two is when
> I attend an amusement park I'm going to have a great time.
> It's a given that I'm going to ride coasters. With fishing,
> the amount of success you have determines how fun it is.
> But I'm like the rest of you in that I count down the
> months to the next coaster season.

Isn't it a bit chilly to be fly fishing on Erie now? Isn't that called ice fishing LOL!

Jen

Re: Winter Withdrawals by frontrow frontrow Profile at 12/8/11 7:46:36 PM

I actually fish the tributary creeks as the the steelhead and brown trout make their journey up them.

Re: Winter Withdrawals by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 12/9/11 6:42:32 PM

Dollywood is still open. I was told that as long as it's at least 34 degrees, they'll run Thunderhead. Heck, it's only a 9-hour drive for me!