Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely)

Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely)

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
11/21/11 at
7:32:04 PM

What are yalls opinions on painting an entire woodie a vivid color? I have no problem with hints of color on the track (like Belmont Park's 'Giant Dipper' in San Diego) but IMO woodies that are painted entirely in a bright color is an eyesore to me. It's like ruining a woodies aethetics, and no I don't buy that "more appealing to the kids" argument. So what do ya think, go or no-go? Unfortunately they have double trouble (classic woodies to make the matters worst) over the pond in the UK (Pleasure Beach Blackpool) Eekkkkk!!!!!

www.rcdb.com/797.htm?p=37573

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/21/11 8:39:08 PM

Don't bother me. If it's a good coaster, I couldn't care less if it was purple and green with orange polka dots and zebra stripes.

Mike

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by drachen drachen Profile at 11/21/11 10:46:57 PM

Don't forget...

Kingdom Coaster at Dutch Wonderland

I thought the new color scheme was hideous at first. Now, I kinda' like it.

My preferred color of wooden coaster is white, because that usually means the ride is old. But, like Mike, it really doesn't matter to me. The natural color wooden coasters are gorgeous to me.

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/22/11 7:14:59 AM

> Kingdom Coaster at Dutch Wonderland

> I thought the new color scheme was hideous at first. Now, I
> kinda' like it.

> My preferred color of wooden coaster is white, because that
> usually means the ride is old. But, like Mike, it really
> doesn't matter to me. The natural color wooden coasters are
> gorgeous to me.

I was boldfacing some key words because I agree with alot that you said.

I must admit, at first I too thought that Kingdom Coaster pretty hideous, but I kept looking at it and had a change of heart, and the color scheme is pretty cool, and it's definitely one of the better fully colored woodies out there; IMO what set it up nicely is the purple horizontal crosstrack in combo with the teal overall structure; It has the old Charlotte Hornets colors. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally in love, and blown away with Kingdom Coaster's color scheme, but it looks pretty decent.

You said that your preferred woodie color is white. I agree.

You said that natural colored woodies are gorgeous. I agree.

You and I sound like we have alot more in common concerning this matter than you think. You sound like you can 'deal' with any colors, but you 'prefer' a woodies' superstructure in the classic non-vivid colors (white, brown etc)

IMO unnatural is the perfect word for woodies with vividly colored superstructures.

No one is changing my mind concerning that trouble twosome over at Blackpool; They are just gawd-awful!

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by MABrider MABrider Profile at 11/22/11 7:51:19 AM

All I ever think of when a woodie is painted/stained in any fashion is that the park has now forced itself to keeping the coaster looking good over time.
Which means extra $ needed in the budget.

Way way way back when (!) I assume a coating of paint was more a necessity to prolong the (life of) the wood.
But not so much anymore.

A painted woodie in need of a paint looks awful.
Especially if painted white.

Otherwise, no matter the physical appearnce, the ride is what is important.
Kinda like what's "inside" a book, no matter its cover.
Or a person. ;-)

Mike B.

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/22/11 8:19:11 AM

> A painted woodie in need of a paint looks awful.
> Especially if painted white.

Which coaster to you is a good example of this? To me, white, brown, tan etc. is better than some bright unnatural eyesore color like orange.

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/22/11 9:28:10 AM

> Which coaster to you is a good example of this?

See: Thunder, Rolling.

As a side note, I found out the other day that Rotting Lumber ran backwards for a short time back in the early 1980's. The fact I didn't remember it bothered me, but then again, I hadn't yet become an enthusi-ass :)

Mike

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/22/11 9:47:11 AM

^^^I never thought of Rolling Thunder(SFGAdv) as bad looking coasters at all. They are a lil' weathered I'll give you that much, but so are many older painted woodies. We definitely have a difference in taste if you think that Kingdom Coaster, Nick Streak, and Blue Flyer looks better than Rolling Thunder. LOL.

IMO this is a weathered pic(1) of Rolling Thunder, and a great pic(2) both still looks better than those eye squinters over the pond and in PA IMO.

(1) www.rcdb.com/132.htm?p=244

(2) www.rcbd.com/132.htm?p=19147

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/22/11 10:04:14 AM

You asked for an example of a woodie in need of paint. I gave you one. I'm not comparing RT aesthetically to anything else. Since I spend so much time near it when I'm at GAdv, it's really noticeable to me...even with MY eyesight!

Mike

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/22/11 10:09:35 AM

^^^I gotcha. No denying that RT can use a paintjob.

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/22/11 10:14:40 AM

> ^^^I gotcha. No denying that RT can use a paintjob.

Or a wrecking ball. It's been a part of my life for a long time, but it simply ain't much fun anymore (although I'd still rather ride IT than you-know-what...)

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/22/11 10:27:35 AM

^^^(Dark Knight) LOL

Although I'm not overly wild about the former name, IMO when Kingdom Coaster was Sky Princess it looked better, kinda plain though. Just call me old school....Back in my day, I walked fifteen miles to school in a blizzard....:)

www.rcdb.com/251.htm?p=8313

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/22/11 10:47:52 AM

Just call me old school

If you're old school, then I must be ancient school. Anyone wanna jump in for the "pre-historic school" category?

I went to Dutch Wonderland once or twice as a kid. I'd like to get back one of these years. I understand that it's not really geared to me, but I can ride the coaster and conquer the only one of three rides in my life that made me sick that I have yet to revisit..the Wonder House (if it's still there)

*EDIT*..Wonder House is still there! Maybe next year in conjunction with a certain Rush to the Sky ;)

Mike

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 11/22/11 4:00:40 PM

> Which coaster to you is a good example of this?

> See: Thunder, Rolling.

Big Dipper at Camden Park in WV. Sure looked terrible with the white paint peeling off, but unlike the above it was a great ride!

I haven't been there in over ten years, so I sure hope that ACE Classic has been repainted!

Roz

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/22/11 5:05:19 PM

^^^That coaster look like it'll give a great ride. That 'U' shaped tunnel looks awesome; Is it a lateral-G flat turn inside, or a banked turn? Like you said, it definitely can use some TLC.

www.rcdb.com/315.htm?p=25068

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by drachen drachen Profile at 11/22/11 8:45:32 PM

> You and I sound like we have alot more in common corcerning
> this matter than you think. You sound like you can 'deal'
> with any colors, but you 'prefer' a woodies' superstructure
> in the classic non-vivid colors (white, brown etc)

Yep, I prefer looking at a white or natural wooden coaster. But I'll ride any one I can find.

Aren't the former Paramout junior wooden coasters all funny colors too?

Regarding the white/natural thing, I believe someone already said it. Coasters were white washed back in the day as a form of protecting the wood and as a means of longevity.

With the quality and pre-treatment of lumber nowadays, that is no longer needed.

Roller Coaster at Lagoon is actually both colors. Built in the 1920's, it was originally white. As the park has replaced lumber over the years, they've left it unpainted, since it doesn't need it. The thought is that eventually the whole coaster will transition from white to brown.

Today's modern wooden coasters are often better than most of the old white ones. When I said I prefer a white wooden coaster, I was simply stating that I like old wooden rides a lot.

The white paint requires a ton of maintenance as it really shows the dirt, rust, grease, what have you. Natural wooden rides don't show it as much. I don't think we'll see many new white wooden rides for a variety of reasons, that being one of them.

And for the record, I actually find Rolling Thunder to be a pretty fun ride and a great design. It's running much better now than it was 10 years ago.

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/22/11 11:30:32 PM

> Yep, I prefer looking at a white or natural wooden
> coaster. But I'll ride any one I can find.

Hell yeah, I'll ride anything too, pretty or ugly! I never said anything about 'boycotting' a horrendously colored woodie, although it's worth the consideration JK LOL.

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/23/11 12:10:37 AM

Question to anybody; When painting a woodie in a darker or vivid color (not white) does it require considerably less maintenance than painting it white? To me it seems the white will show more minor issues like dirt, rust etc more quickly overtime than a colored woodie, but in regards to problems like chipped paint, that shouldn't make a difference as to what color is painted; Chipped paint is chipped paint.

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 11/24/11 10:36:17 AM

I'm surprised that Blue Streak at Cedar Point hasn't been mentioned. My first trip to Cedar Point was in 1989 and I can remember how impressive that color scheme was. Another painted woodie that looks really cool is The Racer at Kennywood.

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/24/11 1:41:12 PM

^^^Blue Streak looks awesome; CP does a great job maintaining that woodie's appearance. Kennywood Racer's paintjob looks decent.

Re: Vividly Colored Woodies (entirely) by KHTOExtreme at 11/24/11 7:19:19 PM

Speaking of Blue Streak at Cedar Point. In the past few years it has received a paint job and a nice new lighting package. Also, if nobody has noticed the trains have had extensive work on them.