Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Coney Island Cyclone vs. Santa Cruz Giant Dipper

Coney Island Cyclone vs. Santa Cruz Giant Dipper

Johnny2762 Johnny2762 Profile

Posted:
11/20/11 at
12:30:26 AM

I've been to the Santa Cruz Beach Boarldwalk and rode the Giant Dipper and I thought it was amazing. I've also been to Coney Island but unfortunately the Cyclone was closed because of rain. I was wondering how the 2 would compare in ride experience (airtime, smoothness/roughness , laterals) . Both are around the same age and are boardwalk coasters on the opposite sides of the country, so which is better?

Re: Coney Island Cyclone vs. Santa Cruz Giant Dipper by MABrider MABrider Profile at 11/21/11 8:21:07 AM

> I've been to the Santa Cruz Beach Boarldwalk and rode the
> Giant Dipper and I thought it was amazing. I've also been
> to Coney Island but unfortunately the Cyclone was closed
> because of rain. I was wondering how the 2 would compare in
> ride experience (airtime, smoothness/roughness , laterals)
> . Both are around the same age and are boardwalk coasters
> on the opposite sides of the country, so which is better?

"Better" is in the heart of the rider, so to speak.

I have not ridden Cyclone in over three years.
I last rode Giant Dipper in 2008.
So the following opinions could very well be different had I ridden them this year.

Cyclone is way more intense, and some say too rough.
I don't like "washboarding" roughness (who does?) and Cyclone did not have that issue. Provides decent moments of good air, which I "live for."
The only thing I remind myself about it is to never sit in row 4 of any car. Those rows seemed to slam hard at the bottom of the drops, probably because they are the rear axle seats; but that's just me.
And let's not forget Cyclone's old trains, with the extra thick padding which makes you feel really snugged in. Different than any other coaster I have ridden.

Giant Dipper is a nice smooth woodie all the way around. Falls short on good air, but I would never bypass multiple rides on it.
Has those ugly "plastic" Morgan trains tho, which always seem to be a bit lacking in more ways than one.

Put it this way: a "non-experienced" rider would probably take Giant Dipper over Cyclone.

Mike B.

Re: Coney Island Cyclone vs. Santa Cruz Giant Dipper by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/21/11 11:30:22 AM

^^^Hey Mike, can you (or anyone else) tell me what 'washboarding' means? I always have heard that term, but never knew what it meant.

Re: Coney Island Cyclone vs. Santa Cruz Giant Dipper by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 11/21/11 11:38:16 AM

Although it's been several years (like 7 or 8) since I rode the Dipper... I have to say my memory prefers it to CI Cyclone.

I rode the Cyclone as recent as 2 years ago - for the first times - and found it to be shockingly rough. Severe jackhammering and not at all a pleasurable ride. Nostalgic - indeed, memorable - absolutely! A highly enjoyable ride? No.

From what I recall of the Dipper, it was easily re-ridable and actually surprised me. I have often wished I was able to visit the Boardwalk on a routine basis. It's a great park, and was a really unexpected perk to me.

As age creeps up on me, I simply don't enjoy being beaten up or having to ride defensively. That factored into my feelings of the Cyclone.

Shaggy

*Oh, and washboarding refers to a feeling of uneveness or bumpiness of a ride/track.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Coney Island Cyclone vs. Santa Cruz Giant Dipper by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/24/11 3:44:29 PM

As in my TR few months back, Cyclone is like riding a raging bull.

I may be a thrill nut, but I am not riding the very last row on the last car. You will be ejected out of that seat! I'm still wondering how no one has been 'killed' like that. I was holding on the metal bar very tightly.

Sure the seats are 'sofa' soft, but when you land back down, it will hurt like landing on a stack of bricks. As stated, ride in one of the 1st 3 rows of any car if you DON'T want to feel pain.

Haven't been on the other coaster, but despite Cyclone being my namesake, it isn't my favorite, but it is a must ride for at least once in your life. It can make anyone appreciate even crap coasters like Hurler.

Re: Coney Island Cyclone vs. Santa Cruz Giant Dipper by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/24/11 4:45:04 PM

> As in my TR few months back, Cyclone is like riding a
> raging bull.

I enjoy it..on the rare occasions I get to ride it..a helluva lot more than I did Raging Bull. :)

Mike