Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk!

Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk!

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
11/17/11 at
6:17:59 AM

Not much of an article, but some artists renditions, models and a coupla stats.

Mmmmmmmmm...this is the kind of thing that makes the off-season worthwhile..unfortunately, THIS particular off season doesn't end in 2012 :(

I'm impressed by what I see so far, this early in the game.

The darn thing still needs a name, though. I've heard and read rumors of "Wild Woodie" but I'm rather partial to "Boardwalk Flyer." Also, since it apparently crosses a small section of the beach, how about "SANDBLASTER?"

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/15/news/la-trb-moreys-piers-wooden-coaster-11201115

Mike

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/17/11 6:52:26 AM

Whatta great looking layout! Definitely not your average seaside compact coaster. I love everything about this; 'Wild Woodie' in Wildwood NJ, sounds good to me!

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/17/11 7:29:37 AM

> Whatta great looking layout! Definitely not your average
> seaside compact coaster. I love everything about this;
> 'Wild Woodie' in Wildwood NJ, sounds good to me!

And, Chris, I guess you could even say it has a TUNNEL!...under the boardwalk..BOARDWALK!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by MABrider MABrider Profile at 11/17/11 7:42:57 PM

I have found out this is not going to happen, certainly not in 2013.
2015 may even be optimistic.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I will not divulge where I got that info.
It is nothing secretive or clandestine, but since I heard of it outside of URC I don't want to step on anyone's toes, etc.

Just know that trusted sources know the scoop...said sources being way more in tune with the coaster community than I...and Morey's will not have that coaster any time soon.

Perhaps some of those sources will chime in here at some point.
Or perhaps you who are reading this will come across the same information I did by some other means.

Mike B.

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/17/11 8:16:59 PM

For what it's worth, here's a link to a blog post supposedly written by Jack Morey, in which he makes passing reference to the possible new woodie. I understand that this could be a hoax, written by someone other than Jack.

http://www.moreyspiers.com/blog/moreys-piers/you-gotta-break-some-eggs-to-make-an-omelet

However, I understand that things can change rapidly in this industry, as in many others. How many times have we read about a movie in development, then ten years later, we say, "Hey, weren't they supposed to make a movie of....? You know, like Spielberg and Romero's respective adaptations of The Talisman and The Stand by Stephen King.

I posted what I found. This coaster, if built, would probably mount a strong challenge to be my #1, based on GCI's reputation for great woodies...Lightning Racer, Thunderhead, Kentucky Rumbler. If Mike B's sources are right, and it never gets built, or it happens much later on...hell yeah, I'll be disappointed.

But it wouldn't be the first time, and it won't be the last.

Mike

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by Patripman Patripman Profile at 11/17/11 10:00:00 PM

This past summer didnt go to Wildwood, that would be the first time in 17 years. The rumors for a 2 pier coaster goes back 12 years, now we see what is to come. I am very happy to see a wood coaster the rumor has always been a large steel coaster. Just looking at the pictures this maybe the wood coaster the east coast has been waiting for since ET at 6 Flags.

By the way if anyone does visit Wildwood please support the small mom and pop motels, especially in North Wildwood. The Florentine at 19th and Ocean is one of our favorites.

Patripman

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/20/11 2:30:12 PM

I hope this happens - it looks awesome! And I live SO much closer to it now!

Jen

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 11/20/11 7:22:13 PM

THAT. IS AN AWESOME RENDITION of a coaster.

HOLY! If that was there, I would visit Wildwood more often. I go there at LEAST once a year. I love the rides they already have in place, but obviously that would be an awesome awesome addition. Yes I meant to say awesome twice.

I don't like the 'Wild Woodie' name though. "Boardwalk Flyer" sounds golden to me!

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by drachen drachen Profile at 11/29/11 5:50:53 PM

I guess I could chime in here.

There is evidence to suggest that this ride is coming in 2013, but there is also heavy evidence to suggest that it will not come until later on.

Reasons to be optimistc for 2013:

- Morey's Pier has already been extended to make room for station and lift.

- Hunt's Pier attractions are being relocated for 2012 to make room for the new coaster.

- There are some markings on Morey's Pier that would suggest that the ride has been plotted out, at least in part.

- Through the grapevine, I've heard that parts are already showing up. If that is true, it would suggest that construction is planned if materials have been purchased.

Reasons to be pessimistic about 2013

- There is a new hotel sucking up Morey's capital dollars for the next 18 months or so.

- A coaster with this type of layout probably requires more by way of permits, as it is going under the boardwalk and crossing the beach to the other pier.

- I have no inside info on this whatsoever. But I just get this vibe that maybe the Morey's family (and maybe even the two brothers) don't see eye to eye on this ride, and that a trigger has yet to be unanimously pulled.

At any rate, I will be saddened and even a bit frustrated if this ride doesn't show up the season after next. I've been looking forward to a new major coaster in Wildwood for far too long.

Additionally, this ride looks incredible. Throw these new 2012 steel coasters out the window. Morey's ride is the most anticpated new ride for me. I was really holding out hope for 2012, and I'll do the same for 2013.

My vote is for Boardwalk Flyer, by the way. Wild-Woodie is clever, but horrible. "Flyer" would be a throw-back to the old Hunt's Pier Flyer that once stood in part of this coaster's footprint.

Another thing to consider is that this may be a Knoebel's-esque slooooooow build that starts in 2012 and ends at some point in 2013 or 2014. Who knows?

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/29/11 10:23:12 PM

^^^LOL, I love that phrase 'Knoebel's-esque'. I hafta retract what I said earlier, 'Wild Woodie' is a pretty dull, and unoriginal sounding name.'Boardwalk Flyer' sounds like a good throwback name.

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/30/11 5:37:16 AM

> ^^^LOL, I love that phrase 'Knoebel's-esque'. I hafta
> retract what I said earlier, 'Wild Woodie' is a pretty
> dull, and unoriginal sounding name.'Boardwalk Flyer' sounds
> like a good throwback name.

No love for Sandblaster? :(

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/30/11 12:25:24 PM

^^^It's not a bad name, although IMO it sounds kinda 'steelie-ish'.

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by drachen drachen Profile at 11/30/11 1:46:31 PM

> No love for Sandblaster? :(

The name brings up a good point. I remember in Great White's earlier days, that's exactly what happened to you as you exited the tunnel and engaged the lift. You got blasted with sand. It seems that the problem has been resolved.

But I can only imagine how painful getting the same facial at the bottom of a 90 ft drop at 50+ mph. If that's the case, then Sandblaster would be most appropriate.

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/2/11 12:04:45 PM

> ^^^LOL, I love that phrase 'Knoebel's-esque'. I hafta
> retract what I said earlier, 'Wild Woodie' is a pretty
> dull, and unoriginal sounding name.'Boardwalk Flyer' sounds
> like a good throwback name.

That one would definitely need a launch!

Jen

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/2/11 12:41:22 PM

> That one would definitely need a launch!

> Jen

I wonder if there'll ever be a launched woodie. Or maybe there already is one that I'm not aware of?

And speaking of launches...not to make you jealous..okay, it IS to make you jealous..I get to see Chiller every day through the rest of this year..It's Mr. December on my Defunct Coasters Calendar.

Mike

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by sparky sparky Profile at 12/2/11 1:22:29 PM

> - A coaster with this type of layout probably requires more
> by way of permits, as it is going under the boardwalk and
> crossing the beach to the other pier.

Perhaps someone more in the know with Wildwood like Bernard can confirm, but I also believe this ride would be crossing over the border (and back again) between North Wildwood and Wildwood. I always thought the border was directly inbetween Morey's 25th St Pier and Hunt's Pier.

Point being, your point on permitting challenges may be more of a challenge than any of us can imagine.

Re: Moreys 2013..It's Official! New Wood On The Boardwalk! by drachen drachen Profile at 12/6/11 4:18:04 PM

> Perhaps someone more in the know with Wildwood like Bernard
> can confirm, but I also believe this ride would be crossing
> over the border (and back again) between North Wildwood and
> Wildwood. I always thought the border was directly
> inbetween Morey's 25th St Pier and Hunt's Pier.

That is correct, and it's something that I hadn't thought of before.

> Point being, your point on permitting challenges may be
> more of a challenge than any of us can imagine.
>

Perhaps it's more of a challenge, dividing up tax dollars generated by the pier, or whatever the case may be. I don't know.

Also to be considered, however, that there are also a few coasters that travel across the North Carolina/South Carolina border too. I understand it's a different situation, but those two municipalities worked it out back when the park was designed.

I hope whatever is impeding Moreys from breaking ground on this thing is resolved soon. Again, I haven't anticipated a new ride like this in a long time.