Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hully Gully at Cedar Point

Hully Gully at Cedar Point

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
11/10/11 at
7:24:55 PM

While browsing through flatrides.com, I came across Hully Gully, a flatride that's similar to a Chance Wipeout, but Hully has an aesthetically pleasing, graceful ballerina whirling in the middle. Flatride.com said that Hully Gully (from Heinrick Mack GmbH & Co KG; Boy that's a mouthful!) was removed after the 02' season. Two questions; Why was it removed, and what replaced it? CP removed quite a few flats relatively recently including the sorta infamous Chance Chaos.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Hully Gully at Cedar Point by ray_p ray_p Profile at 11/10/11 8:20:40 PM

The ride in question was the Mack Schwabinchen, which originally was added in 1972 and stood where the helix of the Wildcat currently stands across from Iron Dragon. The ride was moved to its location across from Oceana (replacing a Chance Rotor in the process) in 1985 when Avalanche Run was added, which replaced the Wildcat and remained until 2002 when Chaos moved there from its original location where Top Thrill Dragster's entrance now stands. Chaos was removed last season and was replaced with a three-point challenge game. Confusing? ;)

Schwabinchen apparently had "low ridership" which was the reason for its removal. Chaos was removed probably due to maintenance issues as the ride suffered quite a bit of downtime, not to mention the infamous incident at Michigan's Adventure where the wheel broke off.

I believe in 2003, the park placed the woman from the center of the ride in their HalloWeekends ride graveyard display, and dressed her in a black "mourning dress". And if I'm not mistaken, Schwabinchen was sold to Stricker's Grove, but the ride was never installed.

Hope my jumble of info helped!

Re: Hully Gully at Cedar Point by frontrow frontrow Profile at 11/10/11 8:55:19 PM

I was actually at Michigan's Adventure the day after that Chaos incident happened. I was scheduled to be there on the day it happened on a coaster trip, but I was running s day behind. Chaos was a flat ride I really liked. Chances are I would have rode it that day. I guess it's a good thing I was running a day late.

Re: Hully Gully at Cedar Point by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/10/11 9:53:50 PM

> I was actually at Michigan's Adventure the day after that
> Chaos incident happened. I was scheduled to be there on the
> day it happened on a coaster trip, but I was running s day
> behind. Chaos was a flat ride I really liked. Chances are I
> would have rode it that day. I guess it's a good thing I
> was running a day late.

I love Chaos. I also like the ride.

Re: Hully Gully at Cedar Point by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/10/11 10:22:07 PM

> Hope my jumble of info helped!

Thanks Ray for the informative info.

Re: Hully Gully at Cedar Point by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 11/12/11 2:53:29 PM

Not that this thread is about Chaos, but it greatly saddens me that it's now gone. It was my favorite flat ride of them all. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one?

Re: Hully Gully at Cedar Point by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/12/11 3:14:25 PM

> Not that this thread is about Chaos, but it greatly saddens
> me that it's now gone. It was my favorite flat ride of them
> all. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one?

I second that question. I somehow didn't realize they'd pretty much disappeared. It wasn't my FAVORITE flat, but Top 5 easily. I THINK the last one I rode was CP's in June of '09...I may be off on that timeline. I rode one with Judy P. that year, but I'm unsure if it was CP or Kennywood..or both..or neither...

Mike

Re: Hully Gully at Cedar Point by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/13/11 12:33:40 AM

> Not that this thread is about Chaos, but it greatly saddens
> me that it's now gone. It was my favorite flat ride of them
> all. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one?

The Adventuredome in Las Vegas is the only place that I know of. Certain fairs in the U.S. might have em' not sure though.

Re: Hully Gully at Cedar Point by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/13/11 12:39:58 PM

Yes, I know of that Chaos as well. It was very fun to ride. Only downside was my ankles did feel sore a few days later and if I rode it too many times in a row, I would feel very dizzy.