Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > RobLec finally rides Space Mountain

RobLec finally rides Space Mountain

RobLec RobLec Profile

Posted:
11/9/11 at
9:46:21 AM

Some here may recall my tale of woe that I tell from time to time. I've been trying unsuccessfully to ride Space Mountain for twenty years now. On our first visit to WDW in 1992 our kids were just too small... if not for the ride itself, then at least for the wait time.

On our next visit in 1995 we waited in line for two hours and had just got up to the gate when they shut down the ride. We weren't offered return passes or anything (there were no fast passes back then). This began a decade long period of "Disney will never get another cent out of me".

Then in 2009 we spent two weeks in Orlando but SM was closed for rehab, and was to reopen the day we had to leave. Just missed it.

Finally this past Monday I finally got to ride it. I had already been told by several others not to expect much from it, that it's not that great of a coaster. Well, I did thoroughly enjoy it.

We rode twice, grabbed some fast passes before our first ride, 30-40 minute wait to ride Alpha. It was a bit jerky, but I liked the ambiance. The next ride with fast passes was on Omega and we liked it a bit better. I think it was a slightly different layout, or maybe we were just better prepared for it.

Anyway, now I can check it off my bucket list. I doubt I'll ever ride it again. I can tell a big difference compared to just two years ago as far as my endurance goes... not so much with coasters, but with crowds.

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/9/11 11:20:40 AM

Congratulations, Rob! You're now officially a Space Cadet!! :)

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/9/11 12:01:09 PM

> I've been trying unsuccessfully to ride Space
> Mountain for twenty years now.

Wow, and I thought that my three lil' years without a ride on the broke down Deja Vu(SFOG) was something! I agree with some others were saying that Space Mtn isn't all that great; I also agree with Rob about Space Mtn being bucketlist material that you hafta atleast ride twice (once on each side like Rob did) I'm glad that you finally got to ride. :)

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 11/9/11 6:25:39 PM

Congrats on finally getting your rides in!

I can understand your feelings. "Big" coaster rides have become such a rarity for us the last couple of years, with the ones at Disney being almost all we were able to get in thanks to my job there. Having finally made it over to Silver Dollar City and getting rides in on Powder Keg, Wildfire, and Thunderation, it was a great reminder of what we have been missing.

Space is a fun ride, but it doesn't hold a candle to the big boys.

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/9/11 6:56:09 PM

Unfortunately SM will likely be the "highlight" of the year coasterwise. Those coasters we rode at SDC last spring were fun, but other than Powderkeg were mostly too much like other B&M and Arrows we've ridden in the past. Between SDC and Disney I had one day at KI and just two rides at CP. Been somewhat of a down year.

Re: Just got back from Blue Man Group! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/10/11 10:47:41 PM

Front row seats... they took me up on stage and I was part of the act. Now I have a pair of souvenir drumsticks with a little blue paint smeared on them (and also on my hand). Great birthday present!

Scratch another one off the bucket list.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/11/11 11:15:34 AM

Congrats! I remember you mentioning this when I told my tale on how I have never been able to ride Test Track - been down every time I've been there. Maybe someday I'll have a success story like yours! :~)

Jen

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 11/11/11 7:41:03 PM

So now you know what you've been missing. Not much.

I enjoy Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom, but in my opinion it really comes across as a crappy Disney ride. Pretty dismal queue. Minimal theme throughout the station and ride and the ride system is really in your face compared to most Disney rides. The recent sound addition is what I'd expect from a park like Conneaut Lake. Stick a coaster in a warehouse with a few disco balls and a ghetto blaster on a tripod.

Even Matterhorn at Disneyland Park from the 50s has more going for it.

I'm glad you got to try it though!

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/11/11 9:33:22 PM

Congrats on finally riding it!

But like the others have said, it isn't all that great or worth the 'hype'. Other than the darkness, the ride's theme and 'effects' haven't really changed that much. For all that down time, a complete track change would've been better, but it's just the same ride experience imo. I would not go on SM unless it was really early in the day or late at night when there's little to no wait. Fastpass would be the only reason I'd go other times.

Space Mountain - YAY! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 11/25/11 1:32:48 PM

> Some here may recall my tale of woe that I tell from time
> to time. I've been trying unsuccessfully to ride Space
> Mountain for twenty years now. On our first visit to WDW in
> 1992 our kids were just too small... if not for the ride
> itself, then at least for the wait time.

> On our next visit in 1995 we waited in line for two hours
> and had just got up to the gate when they shut down the
> ride. We weren't offered return passes or anything (there
> were no fast passes back then). This began a decade long
> period of "Disney will never get another cent out of
> me".

> Then in 2009 we spent two weeks in Orlando but SM was
> closed for rehab, and was to reopen the day we had to
> leave. Just missed it.

> Finally this past Monday I finally got to ride it. I had
> already been told by several others not to expect much from
> it, that it's not that great of a coaster. Well, I did
> thoroughly enjoy it.

> We rode twice, grabbed some fast passes before our first
> ride, 30-40 minute wait to ride Alpha. It was a bit jerky,
> but I liked the ambiance. The next ride with fast passes
> was on Omega and we liked it a bit better. I think it was a
> slightly different layout, or maybe we were just better
> prepared for it.

> Anyway, now I can check it off my bucket list. I doubt I'll
> ever ride it again. I can tell a big difference compared to
> just two years ago as far as my endurance goes... not so
> much with coasters, but with crowds.

So glad you finally got to 'see for yourself' what you'd been missing this whole time. No matter what people say, I ride something to suit my curiosity --- but I most certainly listen and heed what I'm told ("Watch out for the jerk in the 2nd turn!" etc., etc.), just doesn't mean I'll forfeit it altogether.

Endurance and crowds---ah, yes. Wears on me much differently from prior years as well. But I'll even go further to say that some rides I just can't 'enjoy' much anymore --- THE BEAST being one of them :(.

Glad you checked an item off your bucket list :)

~MommaBeast

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by chris92se chris92se Profile at 11/25/11 8:31:34 PM

Wow, that's quite a story of bad luck with one ride. I am glad you finally got to ride it.

I have always liked Space Mountain and think it is still fun because of the inside/dark factor. Now I have a 10 year old son that has been to Disneyland four times and WDW once, so I have been on it maybe 30 times.

I have been lucky enough that of all the parks I have been to, there have only been two rides I wanted to go on that was shut down -- Rip, Ride, Rockit at Universal Orlando and Superman at SFMM (it was under rehab when they turned it around).

I have even been lucky enough to go to Disneyland and ride Space Mountain in the "Halloween" theme a couple of years ago.

It seems like with all Disney rides it is important to use the Fast Pass system or Single Rider Line (for California Screamin' especially). The wait times for the good rides are far too long.

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/25/11 11:10:06 PM

> there have only been two rides I wanted to go on that
> was shut down -- Rip, Ride, Rockit at Universal Orlando

FWIW Rip Ride Rocket was a walk-on last week when we rode it.

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/26/11 8:54:56 AM

> FWIW Rip Ride Rocket was a walk-on last week when we rode
> it.

Hey Rob, I was curious. What songs did you pick, if you indeed did pick?

Re: Space Mountain - YAY! by looper77 at 11/26/11 1:17:31 PM

> Endurance and crowds---ah, yes. Wears on me much
> differently from prior years as well. But I'll even go
> further to say that some rides I just can't 'enjoy' much
> anymore --- THE BEAST being one of them :(.

> Glad you checked an item off your bucket list :)

> ~MommaBeast
>

I also feel that I have less patience for the crowds and lines as I get older. It's one reason I haven't even thought about a coaster tour for about 3 years, and only go to local parks about once a year.

I'm curious, why do you say you can't enjoy The Beast anymore? For me, I don't enjoy it as much as I used to since it's been tamed so much that it's no longer fun.

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/26/11 1:31:26 PM

> Hey Rob, I was curious. What songs did you pick, if you
> indeed did pick?

ZZ Top "Gimme all your lovin" (though Laurie prefers "Devil went down to Georgia")... it didn't make the ride any better though ;)

I had fully intended to pass up the ride but then saw it was a walk-on. But we did get in many re-rides on the Mummy!

Re: Space Mountain - YAY! by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 11/26/11 1:35:42 PM

> I'm curious, why do you say you can't enjoy The Beast
> anymore? For me, I don't enjoy it as much as I used to
> since it's been tamed so much that it's no longer fun.
>

Well, way back when, the trims ticked me off, but I learned to accept it.

Nowadays, it's THOSE SEATS that are unforgiving to my body coupled with the jostling that almost makes this unbearable for me.

A sad day in Hooterville :( . . .
~MommaBeast

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/26/11 6:58:40 PM

> FWIW Rip Ride Rocket was a walk-on last week when we rode
> it.

Nice! well with the opening day hype and teething issues mostly solved, lines shouldn't be as bad as the ones I encountered when it first opened. Last year I think I waited no more than about 30 min on the regular line. Vast contrast to the year before that at nearly 2 hrs.
=

> ZZ Top "Gimme all your lovin" (though Laurie
> prefers "Devil went down to Georgia")... it
> didn't make the ride any better though ;)

> I had fully intended to pass up the ride but then saw it
> was a walk-on. But we did get in many re-rides on the
> Mummy!

I'm not a big country song guy, but those would be the type of songs I'd pick as well. I'm not into the rap or other stuff that are listed.

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/26/11 7:24:37 PM

> Mummy!

The last time I was at Universal Orlando (in Jan. 2005) I was walking around very confused looking for King Kong (one of my favorites). I found a worker and asked where it was and he pointed to the Mummy! I lost my mind. I was SO pissed. They could have removed Twister instead. Just saying....

Jen

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/26/11 10:21:43 PM

> The last time I was at Universal Orlando (in Jan. 2005) I
> was walking around very confused looking for King Kong (one
> of my favorites). I found a worker and asked where it was
> and he pointed to the Mummy! I lost my mind. I was SO
> pissed. They could have removed Twister instead. Just
> saying....

Hey... we like Twister! We ride the twister every visit to USF.
I know what you mean though... it's not much of a ride. On our first visit to USF about fifteen years ago, King Kong was the longest wait of all. Though it was an interesting attraction, by the time it ended we found ourselves asking "is that all there is?"

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/26/11 10:26:14 PM

Our first ride on RRR two years ago we waited 30 minutes, and that was the longest wait of our entire trip... equal to Soarin' at Epcot. When we boarded RRR they dispatched the train right away and I did not have time to choose a song and had to endure something like electronica. Biggest complaint though is that even though the ride is a unique concept, it's not much of a thrill ride.

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/26/11 10:47:43 PM

> Hey... we like Twister! We ride the twister every visit to
> USF.
> I know what you mean though... it's not much of a ride. On
> our first visit to USF about fifteen years ago, King Kong
> was the longest wait of all. Though it was an interesting
> attraction, by the time it ended we found ourselves asking
> "is that all there is?"
>

LOL! I felt the same way about Twister :~)

I never had to wait for Kong - maybe that's why I loved it so much. First time we were on line and it was LONG (but we were only on line for about 10 min.) and the ride went down. They gave everyone who was waiting a pass to cut the line to ride later. Then I just always hit the ride at the right time. But Jaws was always down whenever I went and the last time I was there they were remodeling it so I have yet to experience Jaws at USO.

Jen

Re: RobLec finally rides Space Mountain by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/27/11 12:34:48 AM

I rode Jaws last year and honestly, I can't figure out the differences. To me it's basically the same as it always has been. But that one can still get the crowds. I forgot the reason [if it was due to an earlier problem or they just wanted to evenly distribute the crowds], but they had 'passes' where people would walk up to the 'cast member' and get an 'appointed' return time. Inconvenient, but better than waiting 'hours' on the line.

> Mummy!

> The last time I was at Universal Orlando (in Jan. 2005) I
> was walking around very confused looking for King Kong (one
> of my favorites). I found a worker and asked where it was
> and he pointed to the Mummy! I lost my mind. I was SO
> pissed. They could have removed Twister instead. Just
> saying....

> Jen
Twister was ok, but the fact it was more just standing and getting wind blown around [and the platforms 'collapsing'].. i would've preferred they kept the Ghostbusters show.

I agree that it was a shame they removed King Kong. I would've loved to have rode that one more time. But if the part about all the breakdowns was true, then so be it.

I know I might get some heat for this, but: I still think the ET ride could've been replaced by the Mummy. Yes, I get it that there needs to be a few kiddie rides, but the thing is just a 'rip off' of the Peter Pan ride. If Ghostbusters is 'dated', then it's a matter of time till Universal decides to retheme or build a new attraction where ET is. Lines are not what it used to be. It's almost a walk on - 15min waits.

The Mummy is a fun ride, but it just feels too short and could've worked better if it had more space.