Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Orlando - dry coasters?

Orlando - dry coasters?

rollerrab

Posted:
11/7/11 at
9:17:13 AM

Hi - call me soft - but I don't like wet coasters. Are there enough dry ones in (and around) Orlando to keep me busy for a couple of weeks? Cheers!

Re: Orlando - dry coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/7/11 11:01:55 AM

The only wet coaster in Orlando is 'Journey to Atlantis' at Sea World Orlando; The other three coasters there, Kraken, Manta, and Shumu's Express are dry. All of the others parks in the Orlando area, Walt Disney World, Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure, and Old Town have nothing but dry coasters; 'Coasters' not the be confused with flumes, raft rides etc.

Re: Orlando - dry coasters? by rollerrab at 11/7/11 11:28:21 AM

Thanks - the videos I've seen have loads of flumes, raft rides etc which made me wonder. Thanks.

Re: Orlando - dry coasters? by sparky sparky Profile at 11/7/11 4:15:42 PM

> Thanks - the videos I've seen have loads of flumes, raft
> rides etc which made me wonder. Thanks.

As mentioned above, Sea World has Journey to Atlantis, which is a water coaster. There is a similar ride at Islands of Adventure called Ripsaw Falls which is a water coaster also, although more like a traditional log flume than water coaster. Rapids rides exist at Islands of Adventure (Popeye), DAK (Kali River Rapids), and BGT (Congo Rapids). More traditional flume rides exist at Magic Kingdom (Splash Mountain) and BGT (Stanley Falls). BGT also has Tidal Wave- an extended Shoot the Chutes ride.

Coaster-wise, all are dry with perhaps the exception of SheiKra at BGT. It has a large splashdown finale (used for show but also to trim speed off the trains prior to entering the ride's final 270 degree descending helix). But as it may look spectacular (and wet), riders don't get wet at all- onlookers standing by the area can get drenched.

Re: Orlando - dry coasters? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/7/11 8:21:56 PM

BTW we are in Orlando this week and last night there was speculation on the evening news that Seaworld might be announcing a new ride.

Re: Orlando - dry coasters? by sparky sparky Profile at 11/7/11 8:51:17 PM

My money is on an innovative dark ride ala spiderman.

Re: Orlando - dry coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/8/11 2:42:45 AM

Although Manta is a 'dry' ride, your pant leg might get 'soaked' depending on where you are seated. For me it was the right side towards the middle of the coaster [row 4, far right]. So the splash from the water jet shooting up isn't that bad, I'd thought I'd chime in on that.

Sheikra, you don't get wet at all [well, the 2nd 'dive' there's some water drips because the pool is above]. Even on the edges, you won't feel a thing other than maybe the mist from the water splashing.
=

As for this 'dark ride'. I wonder if it'll be located near where that Atlantis Stadium is at? There's nothing much there especially since that stunt show ended years ago. Putting it near Shamu's happy Harbor would over crowd that area especially with wild artic there.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Orlando - dry coasters? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/8/11 8:30:57 AM

> As for this 'dark ride'. I wonder if it'll be located near
> where that Atlantis Stadium is at? There's nothing much
> there especially since that stunt show ended years ago.
> Putting it near Shamu's happy Harbor would over crowd that
> area especially with wild artic there.

Press conference is scheduled for this afternoon.

Re: SWO: TurtleTrek and Empire of the Penguins by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/8/11 6:06:22 PM

> Press conference is scheduled for this afternoon.

Animal attractions, not a new ride... they're also expanding the waterpark.

Re: SWO: TurtleTrek and Empire of the Penguins by sparky sparky Profile at 11/8/11 8:52:30 PM

Wasn't there some vague mention of a ride as part of the penguin village?

Re: Orlando - dry coasters? by salejerseys at 11/8/11 9:30:03 PM

good

Re: SWO: TurtleTrek and Empire of the Penguins by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/8/11 11:03:08 PM

> Wasn't there some vague mention of a ride as part of the
> penguin village?

Dunno... I didn't see the press conference, just a summary on the news.

Edit: just saw the news again and they did mention that it would be the "world's coldest thrill ride".

Re: SWO: TurtleTrek and Empire of the Penguins by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/9/11 6:41:31 AM

> penguin village?

From what I read...YES. Very vague.

Re: SWO: TurtleTrek and Empire of the Penguins by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/11/11 11:43:46 AM

> penguin village?

> Dunno... I didn't see the press conference, just a summary
> on the news.

> Edit: just saw the news again and they did mention that it
> would be the "world's coldest thrill ride".

The penguins are going to LOVE that - a thrill ride screaming by them. I seriously hope they are not building this to incorporate live penguins around it.

Jen

Re: SWO: TurtleTrek and Empire of the Penguins by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/11/11 3:42:37 PM

> Edit: just saw the news again and they did mention that it
> would be the "world's coldest thrill ride".

> The penguins are going to LOVE that - a thrill ride
> screaming by them. I seriously hope they are not building
> this to incorporate live penguins around it.

> Jen

Maybe they'll rebuild the Chiller...and change the name to Chilly Willy.

Re: Orlando - dry coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/11/11 9:29:11 PM

Lol! Well if not, then best to get a Mr Freeze clone, at least that version works.