Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Coaster types with Watersplashes

Coaster types with Watersplashes

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
11/6/11 at
4:35:25 PM

I'm just curious to know all the types of coasters that uses/used the watersplash element.

The coaster types that I know are Water Coasters, Dive Machines, Launched Coasters (LSM, and Air compressed) a Hyper, and a Flyer. Free free to chime in if you know any more types.

The meat of my curosity is, has there ever been a watersplash on a woodie, or is that something that's just created on Rollercoaster Tycoon?

Re: Coaster types with Watersplashes by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 11/7/11 8:48:11 AM

Depending on how you classify them, the splashdowns on Fire in the Hole at SDC and Blazing Fury at Dollywood might fit the bill of a water splash on a woodie. I don't know if you'd call them a woodie or not, or even a coaster or not (I don't), but it is a similar style of track and has the splash.

Re: Coaster types with Watersplashes by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/7/11 10:51:13 AM

^^^Thanks for mentioning those two Herschend Powered coasters; They do have watersplashes, but they're in no way, shape, or form considered woodies.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Coaster types with Watersplashes by sparky sparky Profile at 11/7/11 4:28:08 PM

> I'm just curious to know all the types of coasters that
> uses/used the watersplash element.

> The coaster types that I know are Water Coasters, Dive
> Machines, Launched Coasters (LSM, and Air compressed) a
> Hyper, and a Flyer. Free free to chime in if you know any
> more types.

> The meat of my curosity is, has there ever been a
> watersplash on a woodie, or is that something that's just
> created on Rollercoaster Tycoon?

While none remain in operation, the old wooden shoot the chute rides featured a water splashdown, which like the Dive Machines seemed to act more as a trim brake than anything else. Pleasure Beach Blackpool had one up until about a decade ago and the last remaining ride of this type closed in 2007:

http://rcdb.com/2817.htm

POV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ds60OGigcw

Re: Coaster types with Watersplashes by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/7/11 5:31:03 PM

Thanks for the info Mark! I was surprised to know that those rides where built in the seventies; They look like something in the sixties, atleast. LOL. I'm quite sure that they were some of the last side frictions to be built. Here's the other one, Vikingar at PBB.

www.rcdb.com/2739.htm?p=11486

Re: Coaster types with Watersplashes by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/7/11 5:52:22 PM

I can't believe that I left out the legendary steelies, Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland; Those are 'bucketlist' type coasters that I definitely gotta ride one of these days.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Coaster types with Watersplashes Photo Icon by d_n_s_u at 11/8/11 4:46:31 PM

I loved Vikingar at Blackpool. :-)

"..The original concept was invented by German Showman Hugo Hasse, designer of Great Yarmouth’s Scenic Railway. (UK)

His first ride appeared at the Munich Festival of 1928, and was then rebuilt at the Pleasure Beach, Great Yarmouth in 1929.

A second German chute from the 1928 Cologne Exhibition went to the 1929 Newcastle Exhibition - and in 1930 went to Pat Collins' Barry Island.(Wales)

The concept was then adapted by amusement park entrepreneur Leslie Joseph, who opened similar rides at several of his parks. The first was at Coney Beach (Porthcawl Wales) in 1936.

The key difference was to 'switch' the location of the station and the trough. On the German version, the stations were on the right and the trough on the left, with cars running anti-clockwise.

The Leslie Joseph Chutes were the opposite way round, with the cars running clockwise.

The Porthcawl chute was followed after the War by larger rides at Battersea Fun Fair (London, 1956), Belle Vue (Manchester UK, 1957) and the Kursaal (Southend-on-Sea, UK 1958).

The Water Chute’s last full season of operation at Belle Vue, Manchester UK was 1978, but it briefly reopened in 1979, operated by a concessionaire.

The ride was then moved to the Pleasure Beach and reopened in Blackpool in 1979 / 1980..."

(Nick Laister from the article "Vikingar's Last Stand" on themagiceye 2006)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I took the offbeat photo below of the ride in 2003 as it was coming towards the end of its life at Blackpool.

Just to add: The Save Dreamland Campaign has long term plans to rebuild such a ride at Dreamland Margate UK.

The main mechanical parts, including gears, motors, pumps and boats from the ride at Ocean Beach Rhyl Wales were all rescued by the The Dreamland Trust when it was demolished.

Pictures of the Rhyl ride being demolished can be viewed at

http://www.joylandbooks.com/themagiceye/galleries/waterchutedemolitionstart.htm

* This Post Has Been Modified * User Submitted Picture

Vikingar's Last Stand