Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Northeast Snow Affects Parks

Northeast Snow Affects Parks

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
10/29/11 at
1:02:51 PM

I'm dreaming of a white Halloween...

I understand, as a result of this little snowstorm blowing through the Northeast, that GAdv, SFAm, Dorney, and HersheyPark are closed.

Forecast looks pretty decent for Jackson tomorrow to close out the season! :))

Mike

Re: Northeast Snow Affects Parks by alpengeistno3 at 10/29/11 2:52:06 PM

I was planning to ride up to Dorney to get one last blast from my Platinum pass Sunday. Going to have to keep my eye on the Northeast weather as I won't be leaving until after church and stopping at Chap's in Baltimore. Hope Dorney doesn't pull a "Wally World" on me!!

Paul

Re: Northeast Snow Affects Parks by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/29/11 5:50:54 PM

You two psychos do realize that it is NOT going over 40 with the wind chill tomorrow, right? I mean it may be OK to ride your kiddie coasters (LOL) but you'll get frost bite on ET.

I was planning on going to SFGAdv for a few rides tomorrow in the morning when the forecast was for a high of 57 last week but NO WAY am I riding in 30 degree weather. Brrrrr!!!!

Jen

Re: Northeast Snow Affects Parks by alpengeistno3 at 10/29/11 8:22:37 PM

> You two psychos do realize that it is NOT going over 40
> with the wind chill tomorrow, right? I mean it may be OK to
> ride your kiddie coasters (LOL) but you'll get frost bite
> on ET.

> I was planning on going to SFGAdv for a few rides tomorrow
> in the morning when the forecast was for a high of 57 last
> week but NO WAY am I riding in 30 degree weather.
> Brrrrr!!!!

> Jen

A good coaster enthusiast is ALWAYS prepared, Jen. I've ridden Drachen Fire in light snow and loved it (though ice crystals on I-305 Friday night at midnight was not so fun)

Paul

Re: Northeast Snow Affects Parks by KHTOExtreme at 10/29/11 8:38:47 PM

I have ridden Magnum, back in the early 00's before TTD was built, it was 32-34 degrees out windchill around 20-25 degrees, almost left the last thing out it was snowing lightly out.

The snow lasted for about 15 minutes. But hearing over the Grand Prix Go Carts speil "We are sorry but we are down due to snow."

Re: Northeast Snow Affects Parks by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/29/11 9:06:45 PM

Only time I ever rode a coaster in the the snow was GAdv's Runaway Train, early season a couple years ago. Snow squall, front of train, not another soul aboard.

Mike

Re: Northeast Snow Affects Parks by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/29/11 9:47:13 PM

> I have ridden Magnum, back in the early 00's before TTD was
> built, it was 32-34 degrees out windchill around 20-25
> degrees, almost left the last thing out it was snowing
> lightly out.

> The snow lasted for about 15 minutes. But hearing over the
> Grand Prix Go Carts speil "We are sorry but we are
> down due to snow."

In October of 2000 we had the same weather conditions at Cedar Point. We were bundled up in coats and hats and had the best time because there was hardly anyone there. We got to stay on Raptor and Magnum. We only had to wait a train or 2 for MF. It was one of the best times I've ever had.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Northeast Snow Affects Parks by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 10/30/11 9:03:59 PM

I remember that weekend. I saw Don Meiars wearing a heavy sweater instead of his suit. Ice pellets Sunday morning.

Re: Northeast Snow Affects Parks by MABrider MABrider Profile at 10/31/11 8:17:16 AM

A lot of us have memories of riding large steelies in cold weather, maybe even with some snow falling, as noted in previous posts.
I have mine, too.

But it seems those memories are of times long ago, like the early 2000's (timeframe for my memories).

Now? Heck, if its "only" a low of 40 parks tend not to run steelies.
What's happened?

Probably nothing more than parks being burned once or twice with stalled/stuck trains, over time, sometimes years.
So new policies with new temp minimums are set that seem too extreme to us nutty enthusiasts with such memories.

That's my take on it.

Mike B.

Re: Northeast Snow Affects Parks by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/31/11 10:21:40 AM

In 2002 we were at Cedar Point. My oldest son was 2 years old at the time, therefore we were in Camp Snoopy. MF was stuck in between hills. The high winds were what caused that problem.

Re: Northeast Snow Affects Parks by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 10/31/11 3:48:09 PM

We went to Kings Dominion last night to do some of the haunts and rode I305 at closing time with temps right around 40 or so. I seem to think it was colder but not sure. Talk about the perfect mixture of pain and adrenaline...lol

Re: Northeast Snow Affects Parks by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/1/11 9:04:02 PM

So KD made it the whole year without needing to put trims on I305? I hope it stays that way for next year.

Re: Northeast Snow Affects Parks by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/3/11 7:55:25 PM

The closest that I ever came to riding anything in snowy temperatures was a zipline at a retreat in Capitan, New Mexico when I was in the service; It was awesome! It went over a pond.