Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Question about the Oldest Coaster on RCDB

Question about the Oldest Coaster on RCDB

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
10/26/11 at
9:54:45 PM

While tampering with Paul's post on the 'Inversion record' thread :) I was researching, and came across the oldest coaster on RollerCoaster DataBase; They have the coaster 'Rutschebanen' at the Tivoli Gardens in Denmark as the oldest coaster on record; That coaster was built in 1843 and it closed in 87'...1887 that is. What I wanna know is what kinda coaster was Rutschebanen? Was it a switchback railway? I always thought that the switchbacks came out in the late 1800's. To say that this coaster was revolutionary at the time is an understatement. That link on the coaster is below. BTW this is the 1st Rutschebanen at Tivoli on the link below; The coaster that's currently still in operation at Tivoli is the 4th Rutschebanen.

www.rcdb.com/8619.htm

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Question about the Oldest Coaster on RCDB by alpengeistno3 at 10/26/11 10:02:04 PM

One can only assume it was a scenic railway, similar to Mauch Chuck (I know I butchered the spelling, but didn't feel like looking it up). Train ride down a mountainside with a brakeman to keep it from getting too wild.

Paul

Re: Question about the Oldest Coaster on RCDB by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/26/11 10:11:46 PM

Sounds right to me. Thanks for the info Paul.

Re: Question about the Oldest Coaster on RCDB by alpengeistno3 at 10/26/11 10:33:55 PM

No problem. I'm just speculating. Maybe I'll dig out one of my coaster books and look it up just for certainty. I don't think Dwayne would include any "Russian Ice slides", but it is a possibility :)

Paul

Re: Question about the Oldest Coaster on RCDB by rocketmover at 10/27/11 12:25:57 PM

From the Tivoli history site

Amusements

There were two rides in Tivoli of 1843, a merry-go-round and a switchback (roller-coaster). The merry-go-round's cars were shaped like a small train (this was four years before Denmark's first railroad was built). The switchback was just a giant slope, but even so a great attraction for the public. Apart from these rides there were games like billiards and shooting galleries to amuse oneself with.

I would guess that it was a "wheeled" rather than an "ice" version of the original Russian Mountains, similar to the one in Paris earlier in the 1800's

Re: Question about the Oldest Coaster on RCDB by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/27/11 4:12:39 PM

I haven't seen you post in a while Rocket. Thanks for the informative info.

Re: Question about the Oldest Coaster on RCDB by rocketmover at 10/31/11 1:53:53 PM

still lurking, just busy mostly or "out of the loop" with some of the new stuff

Re: Question about the Oldest Coaster on RCDB by MABrider MABrider Profile at 11/2/11 12:44:15 PM

> still lurking, just busy mostly or "out of the
> loop" with some of the new stuff

LOL
No loops where you are!
;-)

Mike B.