Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Rides Vs. Haunts

Rides Vs. Haunts

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
10/23/11 at
6:06:56 PM

Went to Dorney Yesterday w/ Judy P. On the drive home I got to thinking...we got a lot done. We did every walk-through Haunt (Asylum, Mansion Hotel, and Backwoods were the best) and got at least one ride on all the major coasters, and a handful of flats as well. We skipped Death Trap under Thunderhawk, as that was last year's worst. Some of the zombies in Gravewalkers really went above and beyond the call of duty.

Which brings me to my question: When you visit an amusement park at this time of the year, do you concentrate more on the rides or the haunted attractions Or is it a pretty even split?

At GAdv, I barely perceive the Fright Fest events, especially since they discontinued Wheel Of Fright. I usually try to catch the Hypnosteria show. But I don't do any haunted mazes, upcharge or no upcharge. But at Dorney it's pretty much a toss-up. The only other parks I've been in around Halloween are Hershey, KD, Knoebels (for PPP) SF America, and Kennywood. At all of those, I concentrated mostly on rides. GAdv next Sunday? It's all about closing down Nitro for the season, baby!!! I may decide to go later that day, understanding how crowded it will be during the day. Last year, that day was Halloween itself, but the park was close to emty the last two hours or so. And I'm off Monday...:)

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Rides Vs. Haunts by RobLec RobLec Profile at 10/23/11 7:27:10 PM

> When you visit an amusement park at this time of the year,
> do you concentrate more on > the rides or the haunted attractions

Rides by day, Haunts at night.

Re: Rides Vs. Haunts by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/23/11 8:44:52 PM

> Went to Dorney Yesterday w/ Judy P. On the drive home I got
> to thinking...we got a lot done. We did every walk-through
> Haunt (Asylum, Mansion Hotel, and Backwoods were the best)
> and got at least one ride on all the major coasters, and a
> handful of flats as well. We skipped Death Trap under
> Thunderhawk, as that was last year's worst. Some of the
> zombies in Gravewalkers really went above and beyond the
> call of duty.

> Which brings me to my question: When you visit an amusement
> park at this time of the year, do you concentrate more on
> the rides or the haunted attractions Or is it a pretty even
> split?

> At GAdv, I barely perceive the Fright Fest events,
> especially since they discontinued Wheel Of Fright. I
> usually try to catch the Hypnosteria show. But I don't do
> any haunted mazes, upcharge or no upcharge. But at Dorney
> it's pretty much a toss-up. The only other parks I've been
> in around Halloween are KD, Knoebels (for PPP) SF America,
> and Kennywood. At all of those, I concentrated mostly on
> rides. GAdv next Sunday? It's all about closing down Nitro
> for the season, baby!!! I may decide to go later that day,
> understanding how crowded it will be during the day. Last
> year, that day was Halloween itself, but the park was close
> to emty the last two hours or so. And I'm off Monday...:)

> Mike
So you were at Dorney also last night?We are probably at Six Flags or Dorney a lot at the same times and never know it,lol.It was ok last night but I am not used to waiting that long for any rides at Dorney.Most of the rides at Dorney are walk ons in the summer,lol.I did enjoy a great Cherry Wheat beer and crab fries at Chickie's and Pete's.That is the best new addition at Dorney.Have you ever had the great Chickie's and Pete's Crab Fries?I went to the haunt last year way earlier in the season and it was much more enjoyable.I will most likely never go on a Saturday night again.

Re: Rides Vs. Haunts by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/23/11 8:47:40 PM

Years ago I would visit parks this time of the year because of the short lines. With the growing popularity of Halloween events at theme parks, those short lines are no longer short. I enjoy seeing the parks decorated for Halloween and the weather this time of year is ideal, but I'm an enthusiast who loves coasters. I have gone through some haunts at parks, but for the most part I'll spend the day riding coasters. At night time the lines for the haunts get longer, which makes the lines for the coasters shorter. I always try to plan my coaster trips when I think there will be the least amount of people at the park. I'm not attracted to concerts or special events at a park or even the haunts, although the haunts are fun. I visit parks in order to ride coasters and thrill rides. The more rides I can get on my favorite coasters, the more I enjoy the day.
I just can't wait in a long line for a haunted attraction when I can see and hear coasters running. It's like putting a steak and dog food in front of a dog. The dog isn't going to be able to resist that steak. He won't give that dog food a chance. Coasters have that affect on me.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Rides Vs. Haunts by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/23/11 8:56:26 PM

> So you were at Dorney also last night?We are probably at
> Six Flags or Dorney a lot at the same times and never know
> it,lol.

Yeah. We should try to meet up sometime. I think we're friends on Facebook, but I hardly ever look at it.

Mike