Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels

A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
10/15/11 at
11:18:14 AM

While browsing rcdb, I came across this Japanese coaster with some unique pyramid tunnels. It's called the "Boogie Woogie Space Coaster" at Space World. With that name I can't stop thinking about that Dave Chappelle "Clayton Bigsby" skit; If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry LOL. Here's the link below.

www.rcdb.com/1197.htm?p=7238

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 10/19/11 3:52:42 PM

What an unusual coaster. The tunnels with the pyramids are definitely unique. Thanks for sharing!

MarathonRunner

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/19/11 6:38:39 PM

Not that Montu needs anything [as it's fine as is], a pryamid would be a nice fit :)

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/21/11 2:11:01 AM

In speaking of unique Asian coasters, there's a new coaster at Jinling Happy World in China that's gonna break the 10 inversion record with a staggering 11 inversions! The name of the coaster is literally '11 Inversion Coaster' Man, that's REALLY a creative name! Only Asian coasters. LOL

www.rcdb.com/9821.htm

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/21/11 2:14:40 AM

Man, it'd be so awesome if any park in the US would have that many inversions for one coaster. Why settle for tallest/fastest? Go for the most inversions :)

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels Photo Icon by Link Link Profile at 10/21/11 5:23:09 AM

Does this count?:

http://www.rcdb.com/1290.htm?p=10325 User Submitted Picture

Diving Coaster: Vanish

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/21/11 6:10:12 AM

Seen the pic before, and always wondered where it was. Thanks, Link!

Mike

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by MABrider MABrider Profile at 10/21/11 12:59:59 PM

> While browsing rcdb, I came across this Japanese coaster
> with some unique pyramid tunnels. It's called the
> "Boogie Woogie Space Coaster" at Space World.
> > href="http://www.rcdb.com/1197.htm?p=7238">www.rcdb.com/1197.htm?p=7238

Anyone notice that of the five cars on that train, three face one way, the other two face in the opposite direction.
Hit "next" on that page for a clearer indication...

Mike B.

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Coaster316 at 10/21/11 1:20:52 PM

Good catch, Mike. Interesting ride all the way around. Looks like it enters the pyramid twice. The first being the first drop itself and the second being the helix-type turn where the training is exiting the pyramid in the picture Chris linked to.

And a great name to boot. Or should I say, to boog(ie).

Jeff

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by alpengeistno3 at 10/21/11 2:32:39 PM

> Man, it'd be so awesome if any park in the US would have
> that many inversions for one coaster. Why settle for
> tallest/fastest? Go for the most inversions :)

It's interesting that American parks have stayed out of the "inversion game" once the number reached 7. We can probably blame the success of Magnum on that, but I would like to see a major US Park decide to go for it (and with more originality than a string of 4 or 5 heartline rolls).

Paul

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/22/11 7:49:19 PM

I think I am definitely going to have to visit my friend that lives in Japan at some point...

Jen

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 10/23/11 3:13:41 PM

I rode both Boogie Woogie and Vanish before.

Boogie Woogie use cars similar to an Arrow mine train and the layout is really tame, even when you do it backward. The tunnels don't reall add much. The True stars of that park are Zaturn, 205 feet tall Intamin hydraulic launched coaster. Zero to 80 mph in 2.3 seconds! There is also a Schwarzkopf like Maurer-Sohne intense looping coaster and an Arrow hyper coaster.

Vanish wasn't as bad as I through. I panicked when I sat down in the train and the shoulder restraint belt buckle would not come anywhere close to buckling. So, the ride op got a belt extension. I am 6'3 and that was the biggest issue for the restraints.

The ride doesn't go to that curving drop right away. You start with a small drop and go for a bit in the air before going up and into that drop. The train shake a bit in the turn after, but nothing bad. You go up in a helix and then its over. For the tiny plot of land they had to work with, its a great ride!

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/24/11 1:37:40 AM

^^^Thanks for sharing your experiences on those overseas coasters. Yeah, Boogie Woogie does look pretty tame; I'll be surprised if it's over sixty feet in height just by looking at the pics. Did you catch any air on Zaturn's last hill? Zaturn kinda looks like a mini Kingda Ka, or maybe I should say Queenda Ka LOL. KDK definitely doesn't have any air on it's hill. I bet that you got some good positive-G's on Venus GP's loop.

www.rcdb.com/1195.htm?p=7246

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/25/11 7:16:42 PM

> It's interesting that American parks have stayed out of the
> "inversion game" once the number reached 7. We
> can probably blame the success of Magnum on that, but I
> would like to see a major US Park decide to go for it (and
> with more originality than a string of 4 or 5 heartline
> rolls).

> Paul

Totally agreed. Plus adding an extra inversion or two doesn't mean they'd need to add extra track length.
*[I know it's not the same type, but just as an example]: Dragon Kahn has 8 while Dominator has 5, but Dominator is slightly longer.

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/25/11 8:38:29 PM

> Dragon Kahn

Any relation to Madeline Kahn?

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/25/11 9:27:58 PM

lol, sorry, too young to understand the referrence. Now if you said Kahn of Star Trek 2, then maybe :)

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/25/11 9:44:31 PM

Mike, you're really aging yourself. JK. I'm also too young to know anything about Madeline, so I wiki'd her and she was an actress (unfortunately passed away at the age of 57) and she played 'Mrs. White' in the movie 'Clue'. Who knew about Clue the movie? I was only familiar with the board game. Apparently the board game inspired the movie.

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/26/11 6:19:35 AM

> Mike, you're really aging yourself. JK. I'm also too young
> to know anything about Madeline, so I wiki'd her and she
> was an actress (unfortunately passed away at the age of 57)
> and she played 'Mrs. White' in the movie 'Clue'. Who knew
> about Clue the movie? I was only familiar with the board
> game. Apparently the board game inspired the movie.

I never saw Clue. I actually don't think I ever even played the game. But she was in a handful of Mel Brooks (heard of HIM, young 'uns?) movies, notably Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/1/11 8:57:56 PM

I at least know of Mel Brooks and have seen blazing saddles [though a watered down version on basic cable], just didn't know the character that lady played.

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/1/11 9:20:17 PM

> I at least know of Mel Brooks and have seen blazing saddles
> [though a watered down version on basic cable], just didn't
> know the character that lady played.

Lily Von Shtupp...the cabaret singer in the saloon..and sometime lover of Governor Hedley Lamarr (Harvey Korman)

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 11/2/11 12:17:56 AM

I'm only 22, and I know exactly who Madeline Kahn was. Clue is one of my favorite movies (if you haven't seen it, watch it!!) And I'm also a fan of the Mel Brooks movies. It is a shame she died so young. I have a feeling she would have been one HILARIOUS old lady!

-Josh

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/5/11 1:21:18 AM

I'm going to the continent of Asia again. Check out this greatly themed mine train. I love how many Chinese parks utilize waterfalls in the theming on dry rides, something that you don't see too much in American parks.

www.rcdb.com/4124.htm?p=23898

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/6/13 11:21:08 PM
This is what tunnels can do to a Vekoma SFC. Orkanen, easily the most thrilling of it's type that I've seen so far.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ_kU7IesSQ

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by antikythera antikythera Profile at 6/7/13 10:05:30 AM
Overbanked said:

This is what tunnels can do to a Vekoma SFC. Orkanen, easily the most thrilling of it's type that I've seen so far.

Looks like fun. Cost and maintenance aside, I've always wondered why no park has built a good portion of a coaster underground, ala classic RCT style. Having it weave underground for more than a few seconds always seemed like it'd be exhilarating.

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by alpengeistno3 at 6/7/13 2:41:10 PM
antikythera said:

Overbanked said:

Looks like fun. Cost and maintenance aside, I've always wondered why no park has built a good portion of a coaster underground, ala classic RCT style. Having it weave underground for more than a few seconds always seemed like it'd be exhilarating.

Well, in actuality, this is what Nemesis and Oblivion at AT are. Of course every park can't afford to blast a hole in the ground every time they need a large new attraction. Doubt you will see anything to that measure here in the US.

Paul

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels Photo by Link Link Profile at 6/7/13 2:52:28 PM
Well, in actuality, this is what Nemesis and Oblivion at AT are. Of course every park can't afford to blast a hole in the ground every time they need a large new attraction. Doubt you will see anything to that measure here in the US.

Paul

Reminds me of Black Mamba at Phantasialand.

User Submitted Picture

Black Mamba at Phantasialand

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/27/14 1:43:51 PM
The first wing coaster with underground tunnels (Flying Over the Rainforest) opened in China. It looks awesome. The camera POV isn't so great.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=asHlcN7mYQw

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 2/2/14 3:24:57 PM
We have two crazy ones in the U.S.

If you need more room for your big coaster, why not go outside the park. That's right, there is a parking lot there.

http://rcdb.com/2667.htm#p=25642

I guess because it's an Arrow that's pretty rough and has a bad paint job, we have forgotten this.

http://rcdb.com/92.htm#p=160

-----------------------------------------------

* This post was modified at 2/2/14 3:39:08 PM *

Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels Photo by blaughlin at 3/14/14 7:16:05 AM
how you like this one! it's in the "heidepark" in Germany..its called "die Krake", which basicly means "the octopus". you are literally going inside the octopus' mouth:D User Submitted Picture
Re: A Coaster with Interesting Tunnels by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/21/14 9:30:00 PM
^^^That is an awesome tunnel. Far as I know, Krake has the only splashdown before an inversion.