Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Worst Coasters?

Worst Coasters?

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
10/14/11 at
1:11:48 PM

Gary's line in his TR about Wildcat at Lake Compounce being in his Bottom 10 wood coasters got me thinking about coasters I'd rank among the worst. But it's kind of difficult for me, as I try to find SOMETHING to like about everything I ride. So this won't exactly be a "Bottom 10" list, but just a handful that jump to mind when I think about the subject..not in any particular order.

Dark Knight..air conditioning in the pre-show is beautiful on a hot day, but that's about it.

Mean Streak/Great American Scream Machine (GAdv)..I lumped these together, because when I first started getting seriously into this "hobby," they were among my favorites. They became very unpleasant to ride in subsequent years.

Whirlwind (Knoebels)..I barely remember this coaster from my first visit to Knoebels, but it certainly didn't leave a GOOD impression.

Viper (SFGAdv).. Never enjoyed it, but I do like its replacement a little bit better :)

Sidewinder (Hershey)...nothing against this particular coaster, but it represents a type of coaster I don't like very much.

Mind Eraser (SFA)..See Sidewinder explanation above.

Mantis..don't like stand-ups in general, although I'm coming around to Green Lantern a little, now that I know how to ride and am willing to wait for the front "seat." But Mantis typifies my overall feelings toward stand-ups, and still ranks as the most unpleasant of the ones I've been on.

Wildcat (Lake Compounce)...the coaster that gave me the idea for the thread. I tried it in multiple seats last year, and enjoyed none. I don't remember it being that bad on my first visit 7-8 years ago. From frontrow's post on my "Awards" thread, it seems they've done some work, so maybe the current version doesn't deserve this spot.

What about you? Any thoughts?

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Worst Coasters? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/14/11 3:57:08 PM

Ninja at SFOG
Iron wolf at Six Flags Great America.
Mind Eraser at SFA.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Coaster316 at 10/14/11 4:37:35 PM

While there are rides that I've ridden that I didn't like, the only ride I've ever promised myself I would never ride again...half way through my first ride on it...was Vortex at California's Great America. Uck.

Jeff

Re: Worst Coasters? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/14/11 9:16:20 PM

1. Dark Knight, or as you like to call it (Mike), POS in a box!
2. Superman UF - HATE flyers
3. Wildcat Hershey - Hate it
4. Mind Eraser SFA - Ouch
5. Anaconda KD - again, Ouch
6. Grizzly KD - hated it

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure more will come to me.

Jen

Re: Worst Coasters? by alpengeistno3 at 10/14/11 11:22:42 PM

I guess I am a "coaster hugger". I love ALL coasters :) Now, I do have my preferences and ones that are on the bottom of my priority list to ride. I generally determine a coaster's worth by how long I am willing to wait for it. Rides like I-305 and Nitro, there is no limit. 2nd tier rides like Wild One or Grizzly, I'd wait a half hour for those on a busy day. Mid Tier rides like Loch Ness Monster or Sooper Dooper Looper, 20 mins is reasonable. Bottom tier rides Shockwave (KD) or Rolling Thunder can't be over a station wait.

Coasters I would refuse to wait for because they are "bad".
1. Wild Mice (with the exception of Hershey's)
2. SLC's (even though I don't mind them, I've had enough walk-on rides on Mind Eraser at SFA that I don't have a need to wait more than 5 mins for any other one.
3. Boomerangs (though I did wait for Sidewinder only to try out the new train. The line never went down from 30 mins the entire day)
4. Impulses (never was impressed with the design, so if Possessed or WT aren't a walkon, I won't bother.

I don't usually discriminate against any coaster at a park I don't frequent (except kiddie rides. Don't need the drama of trying to snatch a kid to get a ride.)

Paul

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/15/11 12:46:42 AM

Wild Lightnin' at Lake Winnie- The laterals on this wild mouse was way too strong; Probably the most uncomfortable coaster I've been on.

Ninja at SFOG- (I agree with Chitlins)

Hangman at Wild Adv- Most will consistently agree that Vekoma SLC's pretty much sucks; No wonder why so many voted for Mind Eraser(SFA).

Hey Jen, although I didn't picked Grizzly(KD) as one of the worst, I do think that it was highly overrated; Now if this thread was 'Most overrated, uneventful, and bland coasters' then the Grizz definitely would meet that criteria for me.

I see a common theme from the thread; Most are picking their worst coasters that felt uncomfortable to them, which of course makes sense.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/15/11 1:11:52 AM

Wow, I just noticed that I picked three coasters all from different parks in the state of GA; Well Charlie Daniels did wrote that song saying that the devil was down there.

Would you pick a coaster (in the worst coaster status) that you thought was boring? I wouldn't. To me 'worst coasters' and 'uncomfortable coasters' go hand and hand.

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/15/11 6:24:27 AM

> Wow, I just noticed that I picked three coasters all from
> different parks in the state of GA; Well Charlie Daniels
> did wrote that song saying that the devil was down there.

> Would you pick a coaster (in the worst coaster status) that
> you thought was boring? I wouldn't. To me 'worst coasters'
> and 'uncomfortable coasters' go hand and hand.

I didn't cite Dark Knight because it was /is uncomfortable.

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/15/11 7:44:45 AM

> Wow, I just noticed that I picked three coasters all from
> different parks in the state of GA; Well Charlie Daniels
> did wrote that song saying that the devil was down there.

> Would you pick a coaster (in the worst coaster status) that
> you thought was boring? I wouldn't. To me 'worst coasters'
> and 'uncomfortable coasters' go hand and hand.

> I didn't cite Dark Knight because it was /is uncomfortable.

> Mike

Ditto!

Jen

p.s. It was in the news that the guitarist from Charlie Daniels was killed in a car crash the other day. That was the only band I've ever seen at an amusement park, SFGAdv back in the late 80's. I'm not a fan of country music but they were very good.

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/15/11 8:25:47 AM

>> Jen

> p.s. It was in the news that the guitarist from Charlie
> Daniels was killed in a car crash the other day. That was
> the only band I've ever seen at an amusement park, SFGAdv
> back in the late 80's. I'm not a fan of country music but
> they were very good.

Joel (Taz) DiGregorio was the band's keyboardist and sometime vocalist..not the guitarist. The Devil Went Down To Georgia is probably my favorite song that I DON'T have in my personal collection. DiGregorio co-wrote the song, too.

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/15/11 9:01:15 AM

I get that Dark Knight isn't a popular ride, but IMO too much negativity surrounds this coaster. If it was built in 94' none of this overwhelming negativity would exist. Factors like "how much a coaster cost", "what year is was built" and "what it replaced" shouldn't be a factor in lampooning a coaster as "the worst". Most disappointing new edition? Yes. Worst? Hardly. I know that's it's blasphemy to say, but Space Mtn. at WDW bored the crap outta me probably even more than DK, and Blazing Fury at D-wood is not exactly blazing excitement, but just because they were built eons ago and DK wasn't, DK is the worst? I don't think so. IMO if you think that a boring coaster qualifies as "the worst" then all of your worst coasters should be junior coasters.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/15/11 9:01:19 AM

Sorry about the double post. I'll use this time efficiently and ramble on some more. LOL. If you don't believe me on what I said above, take an unbiased little seven year old whos naive concerning the amusement industry; Have him to ride Dark Knight, and any run of the mill wild mouse like Ricochet; It's a no-brainer as to which one the he will like more. Don't let your industry knowledge obscure your decision making as to what coaster is "worst". I respect everyones opinions; Yall know that I'm not one to hold back. :)

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/15/11 9:39:36 AM

> I get that Dark Knight isn't a popular ride, but IMO too
> much negativity surrounds this coaster. If it was built in
> 94' none of this overwhelming negativity would exist.
> Factors like "how much a coaster cost",
> "what year is was built" and "what it
> replaced" shouldn't be a factor in lampooning a
> coaster as "the worst". Most disappointing new
> edition? Yes. Worst? Hardly.

I couldn't care less how much it cost.

I couldn't care less when it was built.

I couldn't care less what it replaced.

Those factors have absolutly nothing to do with the ride experience I've had. You mention Space Mountain and Blazing Fury. I liked both of those rides a helluva lot more than Dark Knight. I find it boring, unimaginative, not thrilling, and most importantly, not fun. To each his own. I've always respected your opinions, Chris, and I continue to do so.

"IMO if you think that a boring coaster qualifies as "the worst" then all of your worst coasters should be junior coasters."

I've been on many junior coasters that I enjoyed MUCH more than coasters 20X the size and 50X the cost.

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/15/11 10:08:17 AM

> I couldn't care less how much it cost.

> I couldn't care less when it was built.

> I couldn't care less what it replaced.

> Those factors have absolutly nothing to do with the ride
> experience I've had. You mention Space Mountain and Blazing
> Fury. I liked both of those rides a helluva lot more than
> Dark Knight. I find it boring, unimaginative, not
> thrilling, and most importantly, not fun. To each his own.
> I've always respected your opinions, Chris, and I continue
> to do so.

> "IMO if you think that a boring coaster qualifies as
> "the worst" then all of your worst coasters
> should be junior coasters."

> I've been on many junior coasters that I enjoyed MUCH more
> than coasters 20X the size and 50X the cost.

> Mike

Ahh, I gotcha Mike, you mentioned the cost. LOL. I'm not saying that you're one of these people Mike, but I do think that there's a large segment of people who will give a not-so-thrilling nostalgic coaster a "historical status label" of sorts (like ACE) and once a coaster has that label, it's deemed untouchable. I'm not one of those people. I definitely respect your opinions Mike, and it's always fun respectfully going back and forth with a lil' debate. :)

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/15/11 10:08:18 AM

Another double post.

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/15/11 10:46:42 AM

> Ahh, I gotcha Mike, you mentioned the cost. LOL. I'm not
> saying that you're one of these people Mike, but I do think
> that there's a large segment of people who will give a
> not-so-thrilling nostalgic coaster a "historical
> status label" of sorts (like ACE) and once a coaster
> has that label, it's deemed untouchable. I'm not one of
> those people. I definitely respect your opinions Mike, and
> it's always fun respectfully going back and forth with a
> lil' debate. :)

>
Only mentioned cost because you brought it up :) And I think my dislike for the Wildcat at Compounce shows that I may not be a card-carrying member of the segment you refer to. But you're right, that segment does exist. We all like different things, look at things in different ways, and that's not gonna change. It's one of the things that make us human (or Beast)

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/15/11 2:51:45 PM

> Sorry about the double post. I'll use this time efficiently
> and ramble on some more. LOL. If you don't believe me on
> what I said above, take an unbiased little seven year old
> whos naive concerning the amusement industry; Have him to
> ride Dark Knight, and any run of the mill wild mouse like
> Ricochet; It's a no-brainer as to which one the he will
> like more. Don't let your industry knowledge obscure your
> decision making as to what coaster is "worst". I
> respect everyones opinions; Yall know that I'm not one to
> hold back. :)

> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Excellent point. I personally can't stand Dark Knight and hate that The Chiller was torn down to make room for that coaster. On the other hand while we were there in June my 6 year old son loved DK. He has been on several wild mouse coasters, but he really did like DK alot more.

Re: Worst Coasters? by alpengeistno3 at 10/16/11 1:45:00 AM

> I get that Dark Knight isn't a popular ride, but IMO too
> much negativity surrounds this coaster.

That is because it is a stock Wild Mouse in a poorly lit box.

If it was built in
> 94' none of this overwhelming negativity would exist.

Yes they would (because it would still be a stock Wild Mouse in a poorly lit box).

> Factors like "how much a coaster cost",
> "what year is was built" and "what it
> replaced" shouldn't be a factor in lampooning a
> coaster as "the worst".

They aren't. It is because IT IS A STOCK WILD MOUSE IN A POORLY LIT BOX!!!!

Most disappointing new
> edition? Yes. Worst? Hardly. I know that's it's blasphemy
> to say, but Space Mtn. at WDW bored the crap outta me
> probably even more than DK, and Blazing Fury at D-wood is
> not exactly blazing excitement, but just because they were
> built eons ago and DK wasn't, DK is the worst?

Well, that is disappointing because neither one of those coasters are "stock wild mice in a poorly lit box." They are very well themed to hide what the coaster is, thus very exciting rides for most people on the planet. Sorry you were more impressed with the cardboard cutouts used to conceal parts of DK.

A better example would be Kennywood's Exterminator, but the difference is, Kennywood took the time to build a very coherent theme to their "cutouts" and the bottom half of the ride is very nearly concealed in darkness, adding a very interesting dimension to what would otherwise be a stock crazy mouse ride. Had SF done the same with DK, no one would complain about it in that case.

I don't
> think so. IMO if you think that a boring coaster qualifies
> as "the worst" then all of your worst coasters
> should be junior coasters.

Frankly, almost all of my bottom ranked coasters are junior coasters, but I don't hold that against them. (Roller Soaker is the only exception, but to even consider that a coaster can be a stretch.

Paul

Re: Worst Coasters? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/16/11 4:05:07 AM

> I couldn't care less how much it cost.

> I couldn't care less when it was built.

> I couldn't care less what it replaced.

> Those factors have absolutly nothing to do with the ride
> experience I've had. You mention Space Mountain and Blazing
> Fury. I liked both of those rides a helluva lot more than
> Dark Knight. I find it boring, unimaginative, not
> thrilling, and most importantly, not fun. To each his own.
> I've always respected your opinions, Chris, and I continue
> to do so.

> "IMO if you think that a boring coaster qualifies as
> "the worst" then all of your worst coasters
> should be junior coasters."

> I've been on many junior coasters that I enjoyed MUCH more
> than coasters 20X the size and 50X the cost.

> Mike

Ditto to everything except the Kiddie Coasters Mike likes (LOL!) And ditto to everything Paul said. No one mentioned the hype that surrounded it either which would naturally let most people down. There is NOTHING inside that ride to give it any character or substance. And it's a sub-par Wild Mouse at best. Yes, Free Fall was one of my favorite rides in the park but I don't fault DK with it's demise - that's an easy ride to relocate had they wanted to and The Chiller, while another of my favorites at the time, was doomed for a while plagued with mechanical issues.

Also failed to mention that they already have an "in the dark" coaster in Skull Mountain, which blows DK out of it's "poorly lit box". If DK did anything positive, it made me appreciate Skull Mountain much more than I did.

I don't know how you can compare DK to Space Mountain, not even close IMO. I LOVED Space Mountain as a kid and still enjoy it as an adult.

Jen

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/16/11 6:11:20 AM

Note to self, Paul insists that the Dark Knight is a stock wild mouse in a poorly lit box. I can't argue with you on that Paul.

> Most disappointing new
> edition? Yes. Worst? Hardly. I know that's it's blasphemy
> to say, but Space Mtn. at WDW bored the crap outta me
> probably even more than DK, and Blazing Fury at D-wood is
> not exactly blazing excitement, but just because they were
> built eons ago and DK wasn't, DK is the worst?

> Well, that is disappointing because neither one of those
> coasters are "stock wild mice in a poorly lit
> box." They are very well themed to hide what the
> coaster is, thus very exciting rides for most people on the
> planet. Sorry you were more impressed with the cardboard
> cutouts used to conceal parts of DK.

VERY exciting rides for most people! (Space Mtn, and Blazing Fury) C'mon Paul who are you kidding. Space Mtn is nothing more than a token ride that you have to atleast ride once just for the sake of being in Disney. To me the favorite part of Space Mtn was the "futuristic" (in a 60's Jetsons sorta way) tunnel with ring lights and blaring alarm just before the lift hill; That's pretty sad that a fav part of ride is pre-lift hill; I was REALLY "blown away" by Space Mtn's 20 some odd MPH top speed, boring "dark turns in a dome" layout, it's hopefully outdated theming (shooting stars in the sky, and retro futuristic architecture). Oops, I forgot, I'm not supposed to tell it like it is because everything Disney is untouchable; Damn, I'll probably get struck by lightning later on today. I'm still not sure why a coaster being "poorly lit" (I can see a dark back alley or something) is a bad thing; Hell Space Mtn's dome isn't exactly well lit. I'm not gonna even touch the VERY exciting ride that is Blazing Fury. I definitely gotta check out Exterminator one of these days.

Re: Worst Coasters? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 10/16/11 10:19:58 AM

I can honestly say I enjoy Blackbeard's Treasure Train wayyyy more than the dark knight.

I dislike "mouse" type coasters because of the layout. you go up....then you zig zag down the whole thing, with maybe 1 or 2 normal drops.

The only mouse ride I enjoyed was the Ricochet at KD. That one was fun.

I HATE the dark knight because of those said reasons above. But in just comparing rides and such I don't take those reasons into consideration. I just think of the ride itself and such. I rode it once, and probly won't ride it again because of the other choices around it to ride.

If there was a park with just mouse coasters I probly still wouldn't ride the dark knight. Like I said I enjoyed Ricochet more, and also the one at Hersey, which the name escapes me atm.

- mugen

Re: Worst Coasters? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/16/11 10:25:09 AM

> VERY exciting rides for most people! (Space Mtn, and
> Blazing Fury) C'mon Paul who are you kidding. Space Mtn is
> nothing more than a token ride that you have to atleast
> ride once just for the sake of being in Disney. To me the
> favorite part of Space Mtn was the "futuristic"
> (in a 60's Jetsons sorta way) tunnel with ring lights and
> blaring alarm just before the lift hill; That's pretty sad
> that a fav part of ride is pre-lift hill; I was REALLY
> "blown away" by Space Mtn's 20 some odd MPH top
> speed, boring "dark turns in a dome" layout, it's
> hopefully outdated theming (shooting stars in the sky, and
> retro futuristic architecture). Oops, I forgot, I'm not
> supposed to tell it like it is because everything Disney is
> untouchable; Damn, I'll probably get struck by lightning
> later on today. I'm still not sure why a coaster being
> "poorly lit" (I can see a dark back alley or
> something) is a bad thing; Hell Space Mtn's dome isn't
> exactly well lit. I'm not gonna even touch the VERY
> exciting ride that is Blazing Fury. I definitely gotta
> check out Exterminator one of these days.

I don't agree with your interpretation of Space Mountain but don't you think nostalgia has something to do with it? I know I enjoy rides like Nessie, Rebel Yell, and probably Space mountain too because of their longevity and I rode all of them when I was very young. When I ride them now, it brings me back to a different time and just makes me feel good and puts a smile on my face.

I personally don't care for Wild Mouses to begin with (except Hershey's) so that didn't help either. They could have made that ride much better with effects and theming inside but there is virtually nothing. The best part is the pre-ride and that's sad.

Jen

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/16/11 5:08:40 PM

> I don't agree with your interpretation of Space Mountain
> but don't you think nostalgia has something to do with it?

I pretty much described Space Mtn's ride experience down to the tee; What is it that you don't agree with me on? Yeah, Space Mtn has a nostalgic vibe to it, but I was expecting something magical, and left the station with an 'eh' feeling. I've been on other nostalgic coaster/flats (Cedar Downs Racing Derby, Boat Chute at Lake Winnie, CI Cyclone, Nessie to name a few) that I've rode as an adult that had me impressed considerably more than Space Mtn. BTW all of Magic Kingdom's "Mtn's" are overrated IMO; I call them the "overrated trifecta". LOL

> I know I enjoy rides like Nessie, Rebel Yell, and probably
> Space mountain too because of their longevity and I rode
> all of them when I was very young. When I ride them now, it
> brings me back to a different time and just makes me feel
> good and puts a smile on my face.

I feel ya. Although I lived in FL since 86', my first time riding Space Mtn was just in 06', So maybe that's why I didn't feel a strong nostalgic connection with that coaster. Coney Island (and Rockaway's Playland RIP) is the only places that I've ridden rides as a kid, so I definitely felt that nostalgic connection going back to CI in 08'.

I might be wrong, but IMO most who have a strong hate for Dark Knight, loved the ride that was there before in SFGavd, The Chiller. I've never ridden the Chiller before, so maybe that's why I don't have a strong hate for DK; That's being said, DK is mediocre at best. Good luck Verbolten.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/16/11 5:08:40 PM

Double post

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/16/11 6:08:09 PM

> I might be wrong, but IMO most who have a strong hate for
> Dark Knight, loved the ride that was there before in
> SFGavd, The Chiller.

And there you go with your "ride it replaced" reasoning again. I have no special feelings for Chiller. I liked the Batman half, didn't care for the Robin side, and didn't shed any tears when it was taken out.

I've never ridden the Chiller before,
> so maybe that's why I don't have a strong hate for DK;
> That's being said, DK is mediocre at best. Good luck
> Verbolten.

So your implication is that Verbolten will automatically be disliked by fans (and there are many) of Big Bad Wolf? You're determined to make this "ride it replaced" a reason some of us dislike certain coasters, aintcha?

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/16/11 6:27:17 PM

> And there you go with your "ride it replaced"
> reasoning again. I have no special feelings for Chiller. I
> liked the Batman half, didn't care for the Robin side, and
> didn't shed any tears when it was taken out.

I didn't say everybody was like that, but I did say most; I probably should've said "some"; Frontrow already said that he hated the fact that the Chiller was removed to make room for DK.

> So your implication is that Verbolten will automatically be
> disliked by fans (and there are many) of Big Bad Wolf?
> You're determined to make this "ride it replaced"
> a reason some of us dislike certain coasters, aintcha?

I didn't say that Verbolten will be disliked, that's why I'm hoping that it will be good thus me saying "good luck". :) I'm a BBW fan myself. Mike, you know how the coaster community works; There's always an uproar when a beloved ride is replaced with a mediocre one. Again, I'm not saying that Verbolten will be mediocre, and I know that you aren't a "ride it replaced" guy, but there are some who are.

Re: Worst Coasters? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/16/11 8:49:58 PM

I don't think I have ever disliked a coaster because of the one it replaced. I've gotten upset that some were removed, but I've never "taken it out" on the new one. I wish they could all stay forever but obviously that's not possible. I loved the Chiller, it was my first launch, but I completely understand why they removed it and I think it would have been gone with or without the DK.

As for Space Mountain, I don't think it's a great coaster but it was the first "in the dark" coaster (that I'm aware of anyway) and was just about the only "real" amusement ride at Disney back in the day. I think that's why it may seem so much better than it really is but I still stand by it is much better than the DK! I agree that Thunder Mountain isn't that great but I really liked Splash Mountain. I thought the theming was really cute.

Jen

Re: Worst Coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/17/11 2:18:25 AM

> Excellent point. I personally can't stand Dark Knight and
> hate that The Chiller was torn down to make room for that
> coaster. On the other hand while we were there in June my 6
> year old son loved DK. He has been on several wild mouse
> coasters, but he really did like DK alot more.
>

I also agree that my bias against DK is mainly because it replaced the Chiller [which I never got to ride]. THe ride itself was standard of any WM, but otherwise it is not something i'd ride again unless it was a very hot day and I need some indoor rides to pass the day. It doesn't help that the day I went to SFGadv was when I had my longest wait [40+min] because the ride was shut down and I still have no idea what it was about [sick rider? etc]. So I basically waited even longer for a ride I could get at another park and waited for just the preshow and the theming.
The only reason I'm neutral [not really pissed off or really happy about it] is because that day I had a bunch of great rides on all the major coasters there [also concidering the park was kinda packed].

Even though the Cyclone at Coney Is is my namesake, I have to say that ride in the last seat was the worst experience on any coaster in terms of being uncomfortable and being 'violently' thrashed around. THat's not to say I can't take a rough ride, but I draw the line at being 'thrown out' of the car.

Hurler [KD] has horrid screeching at the corners and is a rough ride, but compared to the Cyclone, it is 'smoother' even at the back row. I still would not care if KD were to knock that down and put up a decent coaster in its place.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/17/11 2:32:38 AM

> I didn't say everybody was like that, but I did say most; I
> probably should've said "some"; Frontrow already
> said that he hated the fact that the Chiller was removed to
> make room for DK.

> I didn't say that Verbolten will be disliked, that's why
> I'm hoping that it will be good thus me saying "good
> luck". :) I'm a BBW fan myself. Mike, you know how the
> coaster community works; There's always an uproar when a
> beloved ride is replaced with a mediocre one. Again, I'm
> not saying that Verbolten will be mediocre, and I know that
> you aren't a "ride it replaced" guy, but there
> are some who are.

Hem, that's a good point. Concidering the leaked info about Verbolten, it's basically another junior coaster, but with launching. I had hoped for more like Cheetah Hunt and making use of the river, but with that length of track [given how they could've used land that Drachen fire used to occupy to make a really awesome ride, it's like they've settled for 'good enough'. Now I'm really less enthusiastic about it. THis could've been a good chance for BGW to try and outsplash KD.

Had it been a B&M flyer on the scale of Tatsu replacing BBW, I would've been like: "BBW what?". Now if VB comes up short to BBW, I would feel very disappointed at a classic being replaced by a gimick. - In this case more because supposedly VB was to be 'similar' to CH and I kinda liked CH.

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/17/11 7:06:18 AM

> > I also agree that my bias against DK is mainly because
> it replaced the Chiller [which I never got to ride].

It's funny how these threads develop. Earlier, Chris used "warm feelings for the ride it replaced" as a reason for not liking a particular coaster or ranking it among one's "worst." While I may not fall into that category, I understand some feel that way.

But to dislike a ride because it replaced something you NEVER EVEN RODE???

That's a little lame, and an even poorer reason for animosity toward a ride than anything mentioned above.

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/17/11 10:11:28 AM

NM

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/17/11 10:12:54 AM

> But to dislike a ride because it replaced something you
> NEVER EVEN RODE???

> I'm totally confused; Explain specifically what you're
> talking about. I never said anything about someone(or
> myself) disliking a ride that they(or I) had never ridden
> before because it replaced a ride that they(or I) liked.

>
That was for Phil re: his post above. You didn't say anything like that.

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/17/11 10:18:02 AM

My bad Mike. Sorry about that.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/17/11 10:35:46 AM

> Concidering the leaked info about
> Verbolten, it's basically another junior coaster, but with
> launching.

It also has a 'Thirteen' style elevator drop, and most likely other unknown special effects inside of a dark event building. That's enough to atleast keep me interested to see how things are gonna play out.

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/17/11 10:38:41 AM

> My bad Mike. Sorry about that.

Apology unnecessary. Sometimes it's it's difficult navigating a thread and knowing who's "speaking." :)

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/17/11 10:48:53 AM

I admit that I'm guilty of having a bias opinion of a coaster that is built in an area that required another coaster to be removed, especially if I really liked the former coaster. In June I refused to wait 30 minutes for Green Lantern because not only have I ridden GL in Kentucky numerous times, but I really liked Scream Machine. I don't have a problem with parks removing coasters to make room for a new one, but the new coaster should be alot better than the coaster it replaced. I believe in upgrading, in all aspects of life. I wouldn't trade my car in for a car that was inferior to the one I already have. I recognize that this comes from my own stubborn personality that doesn't like changes if I feel changes are not necessary. For example I really liked Steel Phantom. It was my favorite Arrow Looper. When Kennywood reconfigured it into Phantoms Revenge I was disappointed with the result. I love hyper coasters, but I think PR is a weak version of a hyper coaster and IMO it wasn't enough of an improvement from the old Steel Phantom. If Kennywood would have put in something like Millennium Force or Nitro in then I would've been extremely happy about that change. The point I'm trying to make is that if you're going to make a change then the results should be considerably better from the previous situation. For me this goes beyond coaster preferences. It's just how my mindset is.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/17/11 11:47:51 AM

> I admit that I'm guilty of having a bias opinion of a
> coaster that is built in an area that required another
> coaster to be removed, especially if I really liked the
> former coaster.

There's nothing wrong with that. I have no problems for any of your opinions at all. You sound like you're big on large Arrow loopers (Steel Phantom, and GASM)

Re: Worst Coasters? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/17/11 12:51:32 PM

> I admit that I'm guilty of having a bias opinion of a
> coaster that is built in an area that required another
> coaster to be removed, especially if I really liked the
> former coaster.

> There's nothing wrong with that. I have no problems for any
> of your opinions at all. You sound like you're big on large
> Arrow loopers (Steel Phantom, and GASM)

I really do like those mega Arrow loopers, although they're not in my top 10 list, I still consider them awesome coasters. Other than The Vortex at KI and Viper at SF MM, most of them are gone. They were built in an era that was about how many inversions a coaster had. With the disappearance of these looping monsters, a roller coaster era is also disappearing. They're not the smoothest or the best coasters, but they represent the coaster evolution. I understand parks must keep up with the times and install coasters that will be more appealing to GP in order to generate capital, but they must also take coaster preservation into consideration. When SF Great America was going to install Superman original plans had The Wizzer to be the victim, but due to public outcry Shockwave was removed. I personally just have a problem with changes like that. Of coarse I want to see new coasters built, it's what I look forward to all winter long. I'm only 35 years old and there are probably about 50 coasters I've ridden that no longer exist. Like I said, it's mainly my personality that causes this frustration. The bottom line is that parks must make the necessary changes in order to stay in business and that's the most important thing.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/17/11 9:24:08 PM

> It's funny how these threads develop. Earlier, Chris used
> "warm feelings for the ride it replaced" as a
> reason for not liking a particular coaster or ranking it
> among one's "worst." While I may not fall into
> that category, I understand some feel that way.

> But to dislike a ride because it replaced something you
> NEVER EVEN RODE???

> That's a little lame, and an even poorer reason for
> animosity toward a ride than anything mentioned above.

> Mike

My 'reasoning' is that if a park was replacing a pair of unreliable coasters, then don't replace them with some standard wild mouse coaster and bill it as a thrill ride on the same level as Nitro or KK. The ride itself was standard and the preshow was underwhelming. To me anything more than a 10 min wait for it is a major fail. So it isn't just because it replaced the chiller, the whole thing is a marketing mess. If it was located in the looney toons area I wouldn't have had a problem with it. I hope this makes my point clearer.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/17/11 9:27:14 PM

> Concidering the leaked info about
> Verbolten, it's basically another junior coaster, but with
> launching.

> It also has a 'Thirteen' style elevator drop, and most
> likely other unknown special effects inside of a dark event
> building. That's enough to atleast keep me interested to
> see how things are gonna play out.

Well it is enough to keep me partially interested, but I still feel they could've done more with the land they have. Of course the next time i visit BGW, I keep an open mind about it.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/18/11 11:23:48 AM

> If it was located in the looney toons area
> I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

"Elmer Fudd's Folly" would've been an appropriate name to fit that section. LOL

Re: Worst Coasters? by drachen drachen Profile at 10/18/11 10:40:21 PM

> I guess I am a "coaster hugger". I love ALL
> coasters :) Now, I do have my preferences and ones that are
> on the bottom of my priority list to ride. I generally
> determine a coaster's worth by how long I am willing to
> wait for it.

Wow. That is me in a nutshell. I like any ride, really.

There have been a few roller coasters that I've ridden, that I would not wait again for. These would be the rides that I enjoyed least.

I won't wait long for boomerangs or SLC's either, whether I've ridden them or not. 15-20 minutes max.

The Zamperla flyers fall into this group too. Those rides just aren't as fun as others.

Which brings me to the Superman flyers. They would have to be a walk-on for me to ride them again, though I would ride SFoG's to see how it runs. I'm just not a fan of the design.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/19/11 2:35:35 PM

Having finally been on a Zamperla flyer, I will be adding that to my list of 'do not ride'. The S:UF clones, those I will not ride either [unless they have wait times of less than 10min]. The only flyer I've been on [Manta] is the only one that I'd have no problems waiting for as the ride is very good and if I go during certain times, the wait can be b/w 10-30min thanks to the shows running at certain times.

> If it was located in the looney toons area
> I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

> "Elmer Fudd's Folly" would've been an appropriate
> name to fit that section. LOL
>

LMAO! Brilliance! :)
I mean granted to a thrill junkie like me, a wild mouse hardly cuts it anymore other than if I need a 'breather' [yes, that's just a breather]. SO it does tick me off to hear the ads lumping that ride in with the likes of Nitro and El Toro. DK is hardly thrilling other than for little kids or people that are too afraid of the big coasters.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Coaster316 at 10/20/11 7:30:22 AM

> SO it does tick me off to
> hear the ads lumping that ride in with the likes of Nitro
> and El Toro.

Why does how an amusement park markets itself upset you? Does it change your enjoyment of the product?

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/20/11 11:26:43 AM

SO it does tick me off to
> and El Toro. DK is hardly thrilling other than for little
> kids or people that are too afraid of the big coasters.

Well, at least it's not really a focus of the advertising anymore, now that the movie has come and gone. That's why I wouldn't be 100% surprised if it gets tweaked a little to tie in with the upcoming Dark Knight Rises..maybe a Catwoman theme, as Anne Hathaway's feline form is featured in the film (Hooray for alliteration!!)

Mike, who firmly believes that ALL movie and TV Catwomen pale in comparison with Julie Newmar...but I liked Barbara Craig as Batgirl even more!

Re: Worst Coasters? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 10/20/11 12:59:38 PM

> but I liked Barbara Craig as Batgirl even more!

Wasn't that Yvonne Craig playing Barbara (Batgirl) Gordon?

Mike B.

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/20/11 1:10:55 PM

> but I liked Barbara Craig as Batgirl even more!

> Wasn't that Yvonne Craig playing Barbara (Batgirl) Gordon?

> Mike B.

Oooops. What makes it even funnier is that a co-worker of mine is named Barbara Craig.

You're absolutely right. I met Yvonne once at a TV/movie memorabilia convention..she'd be SOOO disappointed in me.

I won't bother editing it, because then NEITHER of the Mikes' post would make any sense...

Mike G.

Re: Worst Coasters? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 10/20/11 3:45:46 PM

Viper - SFGADv

Dark Knight - SFGADv

Sidewinder (?) - Hershey Park

Anaconda - KD

Back Lock Stunt Coaster - KD

Those coasters all dissapoint me and I really could care less about them. Viper nearly killed me pretty much xD

- mugen

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/20/11 3:59:30 PM

> Viper - SFGADv

Mr. October on my kitchen-wall-mounted calendar, which this year features defunct coasters. So I see it and am reminded of it every day. I didn't like it, but since it was a relatively unique (for its time) ride, I didn't put it on my list. After all, it did leave a space for El Toro upon its departure.

> Back Lock Stunt Coaster - KD

You mean Back Hurt Nut Buster. But I forgive your error.

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/20/11 4:51:55 PM

Has anyone mentioned Predator at Darien Lake? That's a coaster that ranks near the bottom of my wooden coaster list.

Re: Worst Coasters? by alpengeistno3 at 10/20/11 5:18:09 PM

> and El Toro.

> Why does how an amusement park markets itself upset you?
> Does it change your enjoyment of the product?

>

Dark Knight was the most egregious, but here is another example. KD marketed FOF as the "darkest" thrill ride, complete with video completely enshrouded in darkness. Expecting something like Chaos at Opryland or even Space Mountain at WDW, I was very disappointed to see myself shot into a room with the track almost completely lit up by colored lights in the floor.

Still to this day have not forgiven them for their "false" advertising.

Paul

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/20/11 7:54:39 PM

^^^I never been to Opryland. Dang, even Chaos was better than DK? Chaos looked kinda cheesy on the outside(just looking at pics) I guess that exterior looks can be deceiving. :)

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/20/11 8:07:09 PM

> You mean Back Hurt Nut Buster. But I forgive your error.

I actually thought that BLSC was pretty smooth esp. for a positive-G coaster; I didn't feel any discomfort at all. I still like the wordplay on the nickname though. :)

Re: Worst Coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/21/11 12:22:30 AM

> and El Toro.

> Why does how an amusement park markets itself upset you?
> Does it change your enjoyment of the product?

Like I said in my other posts, the day I went, I had the misfortune to end up waiting over 40min because the ride had some problems with either a person being sick/injured or the ride having problems. SO it made me more mad that I ended up waiting so long for a preshow and a standard wild mouse ride. At least if I'm waiting 40+min, it'd better be worth the wait like Kingda Ka or Nitro.

SO, yes, my 'reason' for hating DK was based on when the ride was just new. Obviously these days DK isn't being mentioned [maybe because it was a flop :shrugs:] as GL is given the main focus. BUt it being a standard mouse with no change in the track layout or any real theme [besides the preshow], it all adds up into being a very disappointing ride experience. As the ride itself, I'll say it again, it was a standard mouse and being that I've rode a bunch of them already, it isn't worth spending more than 10min in line for. In a park like GAdv, time is precious especially on a busy day. I don't have the luxury of coming back for another visit to the park, I want to make the most of my time and that means riding the likes of Nitro, KK, BTR, etc.

Dark Knight was the most egregious, but here is
> another example. KD marketed FOF as the "darkest"
> thrill ride, complete with video completely enshrouded in
> darkness. Expecting something like Chaos at Opryland or
> even Space Mountain at WDW, I was very disappointed to see
> myself shot into a room with the track almost completely
> lit up by colored lights in the floor.

> Still to this day have not forgiven them for their
> "false" advertising.

> Paul

Thank you! If a park makes ads to hype up a ride, at least have some basis of 'fact'. To the GP, they wouldn't know the difference of ride experience like some of us would. However, for the few of us that knows the coasters like the back of our hands, we expect something better than 'standard'.

DK was just a mouse in the box with 'cardboard cutouts' attached to the ends. "what excitement", I hope whomever thought up the whole theming for DK was fired.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/21/11 12:47:31 AM

> Anaconda - KD

> Back Lock Stunt Coaster - KD

> - mugen

Anaconda, wasn't too bad. Rough and not worth a reride if the line is more than 10min. But for me 2 rides tops and I'm done with it. I would not shed a tear if it was replaced.

'Italian Job' wasn't too bad. Before someone calls me a hypocrite about 'liking' this and hating Dark Krap, let me explain.
IJ is a 'unique' coaster [not too common even with its clones compared to all the wild mouse layouts in the world]. It has some launching and special effects like the helicopter and flamethrowers. So theming is fairly good. Unlike DK where it has a preshow and cardboard cutouts decorating the track, IJ has some nice themes [when they work - not sure if the helicopter works].
Finally, when I went to KD, I didn't see any ads about the park or that ride, so I didn't know what to expect with IJ and I didn't have any preconceived 'hype' about it.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Coaster316 at 10/21/11 4:39:44 AM

> Still to this day have not forgiven them for their
> "false" advertising.

> Paul

I guess I just don't get it and perhaps its just word choice, but when I think of anger and unforgivable acts, I don't think of amusement park commercials.

Have fun.

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/21/11 6:14:19 AM

>> 'Italian Job' wasn't too bad. Before someone calls me a
> hypocrite about 'liking' this and hating Dark Krap, let me
> explain.
> IJ is a 'unique' coaster [not too common even with its
> clones compared to all the wild mouse layouts in the
> world]. It has some launching and special effects like the
> helicopter and flamethrowers. So theming is fairly good.
> Unlike DK where it has a preshow and cardboard cutouts
> decorating the track, IJ has some nice themes [when they
> work - not sure if the helicopter works].
> Finally, when I went to KD, I didn't see any ads about the
> park or that ride, so I didn't know what to expect with IJ
> and I didn't have any preconceived 'hype' about it.

Aaaaand...it's not a mouse.

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by alpengeistno3 at 10/21/11 2:45:19 PM

> ^^^I never been to Opryland. Dang, even Chaos was better
> than DK? Chaos looked kinda cheesy on the outside(just
> looking at pics) I guess that exterior looks can be
> deceiving. :)

I almost completely missed Chaos when I was there. To say the building did not "scream roller coaster" is quite an understatement. I was expecting a simulator when I got in line for it. The ride used vehicles similar to Blackbeard at Gradv (30 car trains) and the experience could be compared to Gradv's Skull Mountain, ie ride that wouldn't be worth 2 cents in the middle of a lot. Being enshrouded in darkness with 3D effects like a diamond cavern and fire filled helix, made the ride SOOO much more than its parts. I was so sorry I only got 2 rides after spending most of the day riding the standard Arrow Corkscrew, Wabash Cannonball so many times ignorant of what a gem of a ride was on the other side of the park.

Paul

Re: Worst Coasters? by ray_p ray_p Profile at 10/21/11 3:07:26 PM

> ...but when I think of anger and unforgivable acts, I
> don't think of amusement park commercials.

Then you are obviously not an enthusiast Jeff. ;)

And my vote for worst coaster goes to any Chance Toboggan. Those were an absolute nightmare for claustrophobics like me, and the "drop" after the descending turns will realign the spinal cord. I have one Toboggan credit on my list. I hope to not have anymore!

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/21/11 3:21:22 PM

> And my vote for worst coaster goes to any Chance Toboggan.
> Those were an absolute nightmare for claustrophobics like
> me, and the "drop" after the descending turns
> will realign the spinal cord. I have one Toboggan credit on
> my list. I hope to not have anymore!

Thanks for bringing back the pain, Ray. Much obliged. I rode my one and only Toboggan (I dunno if it was Chance) at Lakemont in 2009. I'm not claustrophobic, but it was cramped, tight, uncomfortable, painful...and, to top it off, I hit my head getting in AND out of the damn thing.

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 10/21/11 4:53:04 PM

I say Anaconda mainly because the restraints are terrible. I did like the water rocket at the beginning but besides that it's like the scream machine but 10 times worse.

I loved the Scream Machine (SFGADv) but the restraints and cars on the arrow loopers are REALLY hard on tall people. ('6"5) So that's a huge reason on why I dislike Anaconda so much.

On the corkscrews the ride was so slowwwwwwwwww and I felt like I was going to fall out. Which...actually was kind of fun...but I'd rather die on Nitro!

- mugen

Re: Worst Coasters? by ray_p ray_p Profile at 10/21/11 6:14:50 PM

> Thanks for bringing back the pain, Ray. Much obliged. I
> rode my one and only Toboggan (I dunno if it was Chance) at
> Lakemont in 2009. I'm not claustrophobic, but it was
> cramped, tight, uncomfortable, painful...and, to top it
> off, I hit my head getting in AND out of the damn thing.

Yes Mike, I believe all Toboggans were fine Chance products. My lone experience was at Conneaut and as much as I despised it, I rode it twice more the same day. I had a chance to ride Lakemont's for the credit but I actually showed restraint and passed. Chance's "cage" rides (Zipper, SkyDiver, Turbo and Toboggan) don't seem like "amusement" rides, they seem like torture devices!

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/21/11 8:16:10 PM

> (Zipper, SkyDiver, Turbo and Toboggan) don't seem
> like "amusement" rides, they seem like torture
> devices!

LOL, Chance caged rides does kinda seem like torture devices. Of the three Chance caged flats that you listed, I've only ridden the Zipper, and I still haven't ridden Toboggan. I really wanna ride Skydiver one of these days. Wow, the Chance Turbo! Where did you ride Turbo at, Miracle Strip Amusement Park, or another park? For those that don't know what the Chance Turbo looks like, here's a youtube link below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvV7UR_r4x4

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/21/11 8:24:30 PM

> Thanks for bringing back the pain, Ray. Much obliged. I
> rode my one and only Toboggan (I dunno if it was Chance) at
> Lakemont in 2009. I'm not claustrophobic, but it was
> cramped, tight, uncomfortable, painful...and, to top it
> off, I hit my head getting in AND out of the damn thing.

> Mike

Yeah Mike, I definitely remember you talking about that pain from your Lakemont TR. I'm surprised that you didn't bring up Toboggan on the first post.

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/21/11 8:39:14 PM

>> Yeah Mike, I definitely remember you talking about that
> pain from your Lakemont TR. I'm surprised that you didn't
> bring up Toboggan on the first post.
>
I've tried to forget it...but as the thread developed, and Ray P mentioned it, my efforts have been in vain :)

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by five613 five613 Profile at 10/24/11 3:11:31 AM

Iron wolf at Great America. Actually come to think of it almost every standup I've been on have caused some minor head trauma. But yet I always get on.

Re: Worst Coasters? by ray_p ray_p Profile at 10/24/11 1:30:29 PM

> Where did you ride Turbo at, Miracle Strip
> Amusement Park, or another park?

Can't say I've ever ridden a Chance Turbo. The only two places I ever saw one were at a local fair many years ago and at the now-defunct Maple Leaf Village in Niagara Falls, Ontario. When I saw the ride vehicles, I said there is no way I'd be riding that. I have also never ridden a Zipper for the same reason. Putting a cage in front of my face doesn't seem like a good time to me. I have been on a Chance SkyDiver (Bates Amusements once had one back in the 90's) and didn't enjoy it at all, again due to my claustrophobia. It is a very visually appealing ride though and stands out on any midway it is a part of.

Back to the Turbo, I seem to recall that Chance made a handful of rides called the Radar, which was essentially a Turbo but instead of round cages, there were Ferris Wheel cars (perhaps of the Chance Sky Wheel variety?) on the spokes. That looked interesting and a lot more rideable than a Turbo. I believe they also made a lone model where there were Turbo cars on one wheel and Radar cars on the other.

Other flats I don't do because of the cage include the Rock-O-Plane, Loop-O-Plane, and Roll-O-Plane. I did ride a Fly-O-Plane many years ago at Geauga Lake and don't remember much about it other than my dad crushing me and not being able to turn the plane over!

Re: Worst Coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/25/11 7:08:37 PM

> Aaaaand...it's not a mouse.

> Mike

Exactly :)

Re: Worst Coasters? by maelstrom-xiii maelstrom-xiii Profile at 11/30/11 4:52:52 PM

I actually only have 2 coasters that I'll never be riding again...the first is Mean Streak at Cedar Point. They should install a chiropractor at the exit. For the second one, I should give a bit of background...I recently moved to Australia to continue my education, and there are a few theme parks close to Brisbane (where I'm living)...at MovieWorld, there's a "Lethal Weapon" roller coaster...as a steel hanging coaster, I was hoping for a great ride...it rides like a horribly maintained wooden coaster (see Mean Streak)...absolutely horrible. Free concussion with every ride!

Re: Worst Coasters? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 11/30/11 5:26:01 PM

You gotta love those hang and bangs (Lethal Weapon). There is one thing about the Vekoma SLC's are consistent about- delivering a good headache.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Tomes at 12/4/11 4:53:51 PM

To me, the worst ride was Trail Blazer because it was slow and boring. Mean Streak is also a non-favorite because it actually hurts, if you're sitting in the back. Not to mention the smell of rotten wood. I swear that ride is going to fall apart one day. Please, Cedar Point, replace it with an El-Toro-like coaster! Maybe re-claim KI's attempt at the world's only hyper woody?

But other than that, roller coasters are just roller coasters! They are not meant to appeal to only YOU. Some are meant to appeal to kids and families! I like the Dark Knight in Chicago. When it first opened I thought it was very neat and different. Yes it's a wild mouse... But it had holograms, and some creepy effects like the bus at the end. Plus, yes, it's air-conditioned/heated when it's cold. But yes, the GAdv DK is very poorly maintained and was not a good coaster. But not enough for me to HATE it or be mad at it....

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/4/11 5:21:56 PM

> To me, the worst ride was Trail Blazer because it was slow
> and boring.

> But other than that, roller coasters are just roller
> coasters! They are not meant to appeal to only YOU. Some
> are meant to appeal to kids and families!

These two statements are kinda contradicting each other don't ya think? I admit, I haven't hidden Trailblazer at Hershey, but I've ridden quite a bit of similar Arrow mine trains; They are designed for kids & families, but I digress.

Anyway, you hit the nail on the head on what you said. "All coasters aren't meant to appeal to only you; Some are meant to appeal to kids and families!" I wholeheartedly agree. That's why the only coasters that I list as 'worst' are the painful ones; Pain is pain, no matter who rides it, a kid, or adult. Many kids enjoy milder coasters that an adult would consider 'boring', to me a coaster like that shouldn't qualify as 'the worst'. That's just my opinion, I already know that others disagree.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Tomes at 12/4/11 7:52:43 PM

I do tend to agree with you.

I think trail blazer is the most boring of all the mine trains i've ever ridden.. But yeah, I don't know. Slight discomfort is acceptable if the rest of the ride makes up for it. Like on X2 I got a bruise on my thigh that lasted for 2 weeks... On I305 everyone blacks out or grays out, same with Goliath at SFMM. But I don't consider those bad rides. I actually love all 3 of them.

THat's why I was a little taken back by the subject "worst" roller coaster...

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/5/11 3:02:07 AM

^^^I saw a youtube POV on Trailblazer, you're definitely right about it being boring. I wouldn't rate it as a worst coaster because it's for families & kids, but it's definitely the most boring, and short (1600ft) Arrow mine train that I've seen. The first thing that I noticed was the pretty lofty looking terrained lift hill; I'm thinking man, is gonna be a pretty good ride; Then you get up there on the hill, and all that you experience is crawling speed, ultra-mild helices, and no drops at all. They say that T-Blazer goes 45 MPH; That's the slowest 45MPH that I've ever seen. Carolina Goldrusher at Carowinds is an older Arrow mine train than T-Blazer, and it's hella more fun. Most Arrow mine trains lengths are in the 2000 to 3000 ft range with about two lift hills; T-Blazer just has one lift hill that goes on top of a hill and that terrain eats away at any chance of decent momentum. I still would ride it for the cred, although someone might hafta wake me up when the ride is over. LOL

Re: Worst Coasters? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 12/5/11 5:46:28 PM

Here's mine:

Hurler - KD
Viper - SFGAdv
Shockwave/King Cobra - KD/KI
Predator - DL
Thunderhawk - Dorney
Vortex- KI
Roar - SFA
Python - SFA

Hurler- even with all the work that's been completed over the past few years, I still have no love for Hurler. Everytime I get off that ride, I swear that I'm going to need to get my back realigned.

Viper- think plenty has already be said in the thread.

Shockwave/King Cobra- these are my own fault, really. I'm a fat man with bad knees, nuff said.

Predator and Thunderhawk- see Hurler

Vortex- think plenty has already been said.

Roar- my local park hasn't kept up on maintaining this coaster. Such a shame. When the coaster debuted in '98, it was a terrific ride. I've been hoping for at least the Gwazi treatment the past few years. Maybe, just maybe, one day Roar will get topper track.

Python, or one half of Lightning Loops- If the five flights of stairs didn't kill you with Maryland's humidity in the summer, you were lucky enough to board this contraption that violently threw you into your OTSR going forward, head banging worst than a SLC in the loop and crawl to the other platform. Then you got to experience this all again in reverse.

I personally don't hate Vekoma Hang and Bangs. They're ok.

I don't understand why still to this day there is so much hate for Dark Knight. It's a Wild Mouse. I chalk it up to the Great Adventure fanboys who expect a large coaster installment every year. Now that most of the "War on Lines" rides are gone, the park needed another family attraction.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Worst Coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/5/11 10:05:40 PM

I want to point out: I don't hate wild mouse coasters. Yes I also understand the need for a family oriented ride. And I will admit I went overboard about hating the ride. But maybe I'm just too opinionated which is another fault of mine.

That said I still stand by my claim that if that ride had been in the looney toons area and given a looney toons type theme, then no problem. What disappointed me was dk replaced a pair of "extreme" coasters and that the theming was a total disappointment. It literally was just a mouse in the box with a preshow. They couldve done a bit more like adding effects such as flame throwers or whatever to make the ride more thrilling and puts u into a "city in chaos" than just riding in a dimmly lit building. All that surrounded the tracks were cardboard type pictures like with disneys primeval whirl. Big waste of 7.5 mil IMO.

I'm no sf fanboy, I just expect that if I must wait over 30 min for something then the ride better be worth the wait. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/6/11 1:07:23 AM

IMO bad coasters that don't exist should be excluded; No use in kicking a 'coaster' when their down; Let them RIPieces. :)

How bout Carotex; That's a gawd-awful stand up coaster to say the least. (Hopefully I didn't break some kinda copyright infringement for biting off of Mike G's coined 'CaroTim'. :)

Re: Worst Coasters? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 12/6/11 3:40:48 AM

> IMO bad coasters that don't exist should be excluded; No
> use in kicking a 'coaster' when their down; Let them
> RIPieces. :)

> How bout Carotex; That's a gawd-awful stand up coaster to
> say the least. (Hopefully I didn't break some kinda
> copyright infringement for biting off of Mike G's coined
> 'CaroTim'. :)

I agree kinda, but if you rode it, it kinda counts. Ah who cares!

I actually didn't think vortex was too bad. I absolutely hated corkscrew at Michigan's Adventure. The line was slow and the ride was like...20 seconds? if that! Just not a great ride at all.

- mugen

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/6/11 5:55:57 AM

(Hopefully I didn't break some kinda
> copyright infringement for biting off of Mike G's coined
> 'CaroTim'. :)

You'll be hearing from my attorneys at the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe.

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/6/11 1:16:36 PM

^^^Aw man, dang!!! LOL

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/6/11 1:39:53 PM

> I actually didn't think vortex was too bad.

My problem with Vortex(Carowinds) is the high positive'G's on it that forces you towards the ground, which lead to groin pain on B&M's awful, and uncomfortable stand-up trains. It probably wouldn't be to bad not it didn't have those high positive-G's. I like high positive-G's on everything except stand-up's for obvious reasons. It's not much ride time either, as it's short. The stand up Togo at KD Shockwave is short too, but I liked it considerably more than Vortex. No groin pain to speak of on Shockwave.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 12/6/11 4:03:06 PM

> That said I still stand by my claim that if that ride had
> been in the looney toons area and given a looney toons type
> theme, then no problem. What disappointed me was dk
> replaced a pair of "extreme" coasters and that
> the theming was a total disappointment.

So, the press release was incorrect and overexaggerated the ride?

I think all parks are guilty of that.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Worst Coasters? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 12/6/11 8:37:46 PM

> I actually didn't think vortex was too bad. I absolutely
> hated corkscrew at Michigan's Adventure. The line was slow
> and the ride was like...20 seconds? if that! Just not a
> great ride at all.

> - mugen

Compared to Anaconda, Vortex is smooth as silk! I didn't particularly love it but I didn't hate it either. Been on better, been on worse....

Jen

EDIT: Oops - I thought we were talking about the one at KI. My bad!

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/7/11 12:08:07 AM

EDIT: Due to Jen editing hers. A domino effect. LOL