Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Worst Coasters?

Worst Coasters?

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
10/14/11 at
1:11:48 PM

Gary's line in his TR about Wildcat at Lake Compounce being in his Bottom 10 wood coasters got me thinking about coasters I'd rank among the worst. But it's kind of difficult for me, as I try to find SOMETHING to like about everything I ride. So this won't exactly be a "Bottom 10" list, but just a handful that jump to mind when I think about the subject..not in any particular order.

Dark Knight..air conditioning in the pre-show is beautiful on a hot day, but that's about it.

Mean Streak/Great American Scream Machine (GAdv)..I lumped these together, because when I first started getting seriously into this "hobby," they were among my favorites. They became very unpleasant to ride in subsequent years.

Whirlwind (Knoebels)..I barely remember this coaster from my first visit to Knoebels, but it certainly didn't leave a GOOD impression.

Viper (SFGAdv).. Never enjoyed it, but I do like its replacement a little bit better :)

Sidewinder (Hershey)...nothing against this particular coaster, but it represents a type of coaster I don't like very much.

Mind Eraser (SFA)..See Sidewinder explanation above.

Mantis..don't like stand-ups in general, although I'm coming around to Green Lantern a little, now that I know how to ride and am willing to wait for the front "seat." But Mantis typifies my overall feelings toward stand-ups, and still ranks as the most unpleasant of the ones I've been on.

Wildcat (Lake Compounce)...the coaster that gave me the idea for the thread. I tried it in multiple seats last year, and enjoyed none. I don't remember it being that bad on my first visit 7-8 years ago. From frontrow's post on my "Awards" thread, it seems they've done some work, so maybe the current version doesn't deserve this spot.

What about you? Any thoughts?

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Worst Coasters? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/14/11 3:57:08 PM

Ninja at SFOG
Iron wolf at Six Flags Great America.
Mind Eraser at SFA.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Coaster316 at 10/14/11 4:37:35 PM

While there are rides that I've ridden that I didn't like, the only ride I've ever promised myself I would never ride again...half way through my first ride on it...was Vortex at California's Great America. Uck.

Jeff

Re: Worst Coasters? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/14/11 9:16:20 PM

1. Dark Knight, or as you like to call it (Mike), POS in a box!
2. Superman UF - HATE flyers
3. Wildcat Hershey - Hate it
4. Mind Eraser SFA - Ouch
5. Anaconda KD - again, Ouch
6. Grizzly KD - hated it

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure more will come to me.

Jen

Re: Worst Coasters? by alpengeistno3 at 10/14/11 11:22:42 PM

I guess I am a "coaster hugger". I love ALL coasters :) Now, I do have my preferences and ones that are on the bottom of my priority list to ride. I generally determine a coaster's worth by how long I am willing to wait for it. Rides like I-305 and Nitro, there is no limit. 2nd tier rides like Wild One or Grizzly, I'd wait a half hour for those on a busy day. Mid Tier rides like Loch Ness Monster or Sooper Dooper Looper, 20 mins is reasonable. Bottom tier rides Shockwave (KD) or Rolling Thunder can't be over a station wait.

Coasters I would refuse to wait for because they are "bad".
1. Wild Mice (with the exception of Hershey's)
2. SLC's (even though I don't mind them, I've had enough walk-on rides on Mind Eraser at SFA that I don't have a need to wait more than 5 mins for any other one.
3. Boomerangs (though I did wait for Sidewinder only to try out the new train. The line never went down from 30 mins the entire day)
4. Impulses (never was impressed with the design, so if Possessed or WT aren't a walkon, I won't bother.

I don't usually discriminate against any coaster at a park I don't frequent (except kiddie rides. Don't need the drama of trying to snatch a kid to get a ride.)

Paul

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/15/11 12:46:42 AM

Wild Lightnin' at Lake Winnie- The laterals on this wild mouse was way too strong; Probably the most uncomfortable coaster I've been on.

Ninja at SFOG- (I agree with Chitlins)

Hangman at Wild Adv- Most will consistently agree that Vekoma SLC's pretty much sucks; No wonder why so many voted for Mind Eraser(SFA).

Hey Jen, although I didn't picked Grizzly(KD) as one of the worst, I do think that it was highly overrated; Now if this thread was 'Most overrated, uneventful, and bland coasters' then the Grizz definitely would meet that criteria for me.

I see a common theme from the thread; Most are picking their worst coasters that felt uncomfortable to them, which of course makes sense.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/15/11 1:11:52 AM

Wow, I just noticed that I picked three coasters all from different parks in the state of GA; Well Charlie Daniels did wrote that song saying that the devil was down there.

Would you pick a coaster (in the worst coaster status) that you thought was boring? I wouldn't. To me 'worst coasters' and 'uncomfortable coasters' go hand and hand.

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/15/11 6:24:27 AM

> Wow, I just noticed that I picked three coasters all from
> different parks in the state of GA; Well Charlie Daniels
> did wrote that song saying that the devil was down there.

> Would you pick a coaster (in the worst coaster status) that
> you thought was boring? I wouldn't. To me 'worst coasters'
> and 'uncomfortable coasters' go hand and hand.

I didn't cite Dark Knight because it was /is uncomfortable.

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/15/11 7:44:45 AM

> Wow, I just noticed that I picked three coasters all from
> different parks in the state of GA; Well Charlie Daniels
> did wrote that song saying that the devil was down there.

> Would you pick a coaster (in the worst coaster status) that
> you thought was boring? I wouldn't. To me 'worst coasters'
> and 'uncomfortable coasters' go hand and hand.

> I didn't cite Dark Knight because it was /is uncomfortable.

> Mike

Ditto!

Jen

p.s. It was in the news that the guitarist from Charlie Daniels was killed in a car crash the other day. That was the only band I've ever seen at an amusement park, SFGAdv back in the late 80's. I'm not a fan of country music but they were very good.

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/15/11 8:25:47 AM

>> Jen

> p.s. It was in the news that the guitarist from Charlie
> Daniels was killed in a car crash the other day. That was
> the only band I've ever seen at an amusement park, SFGAdv
> back in the late 80's. I'm not a fan of country music but
> they were very good.

Joel (Taz) DiGregorio was the band's keyboardist and sometime vocalist..not the guitarist. The Devil Went Down To Georgia is probably my favorite song that I DON'T have in my personal collection. DiGregorio co-wrote the song, too.

Mike

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/15/11 9:01:15 AM

I get that Dark Knight isn't a popular ride, but IMO too much negativity surrounds this coaster. If it was built in 94' none of this overwhelming negativity would exist. Factors like "how much a coaster cost", "what year is was built" and "what it replaced" shouldn't be a factor in lampooning a coaster as "the worst". Most disappointing new edition? Yes. Worst? Hardly. I know that's it's blasphemy to say, but Space Mtn. at WDW bored the crap outta me probably even more than DK, and Blazing Fury at D-wood is not exactly blazing excitement, but just because they were built eons ago and DK wasn't, DK is the worst? I don't think so. IMO if you think that a boring coaster qualifies as "the worst" then all of your worst coasters should be junior coasters.

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/15/11 9:01:19 AM

Sorry about the double post. I'll use this time efficiently and ramble on some more. LOL. If you don't believe me on what I said above, take an unbiased little seven year old whos naive concerning the amusement industry; Have him to ride Dark Knight, and any run of the mill wild mouse like Ricochet; It's a no-brainer as to which one the he will like more. Don't let your industry knowledge obscure your decision making as to what coaster is "worst". I respect everyones opinions; Yall know that I'm not one to hold back. :)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Worst Coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/15/11 9:39:36 AM

> I get that Dark Knight isn't a popular ride, but IMO too
> much negativity surrounds this coaster. If it was built in
> 94' none of this overwhelming negativity would exist.
> Factors like "how much a coaster cost",
> "what year is was built" and "what it
> replaced" shouldn't be a factor in lampooning a
> coaster as "the worst". Most disappointing new
> edition? Yes. Worst? Hardly.

I couldn't care less how much it cost.

I couldn't care less when it was built.

I couldn't care less what it replaced.

Those factors have absolutly nothing to do with the ride experience I've had. You mention Space Mountain and Blazing Fury. I liked both of those rides a helluva lot more than Dark Knight. I find it boring, unimaginative, not thrilling, and most importantly, not fun. To each his own. I've always respected your opinions, Chris, and I continue to do so.

"IMO if you think that a boring coaster qualifies as "the worst" then all of your worst coasters should be junior coasters."

I've been on many junior coasters that I enjoyed MUCH more than coasters 20X the size and 50X the cost.

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/15/11 10:08:17 AM

> I couldn't care less how much it cost.

> I couldn't care less when it was built.

> I couldn't care less what it replaced.

> Those factors have absolutly nothing to do with the ride
> experience I've had. You mention Space Mountain and Blazing
> Fury. I liked both of those rides a helluva lot more than
> Dark Knight. I find it boring, unimaginative, not
> thrilling, and most importantly, not fun. To each his own.
> I've always respected your opinions, Chris, and I continue
> to do so.

> "IMO if you think that a boring coaster qualifies as
> "the worst" then all of your worst coasters
> should be junior coasters."

> I've been on many junior coasters that I enjoyed MUCH more
> than coasters 20X the size and 50X the cost.

> Mike

Ahh, I gotcha Mike, you mentioned the cost. LOL. I'm not saying that you're one of these people Mike, but I do think that there's a large segment of people who will give a not-so-thrilling nostalgic coaster a "historical status label" of sorts (like ACE) and once a coaster has that label, it's deemed untouchable. I'm not one of those people. I definitely respect your opinions Mike, and it's always fun respectfully going back and forth with a lil' debate. :)

Re: Worst Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/15/11 10:08:18 AM

Another double post.

* This Post Has Been Modified *