Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Getting Sick On Roller Coasters

Getting Sick On Roller Coasters

Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile

Posted:
10/11/11 at
11:44:34 AM

I've never gotten sick from riding roller coasters...but I know it's not uncommon for some people to get sick and throw up on, or just after riding a roller coaster. I've always wondered...What part(s) of roller coasters tend to make riders nauseous? Is it the drops? Inversions? G forces?

Re: Getting Sick On Roller Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/11/11 1:21:53 PM

> I've never gotten sick from riding roller coasters...but I
> know it's not uncommon for some people to get sick and
> throw up on, or just after riding a roller coaster. I've
> always wondered...What part(s) of roller coasters tend to
> make riders nauseous? Is it the drops? Inversions? G
> forces?

I second your opening line. I fall in that category too, so I can't really answer that question. The only rides that have ever made me sick (and that sickness did not "manifest" itself, if yaknowhuttimean..just queasiness)...were my first rides on an Enterprise (now a favorite of mine); A Zipper, which I still like, but rarely find and probably couldn't fit if I did; and the Wonder House at Dutch Wonderland. These instances go back to my pre-teen years. I even had hair then.

Mike

Re: Getting Sick On Roller Coasters by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 10/11/11 2:03:53 PM

> forces?

> I second your opening line. I fall in that category too, so
> I can't really answer that question. The only rides that
> have ever made me sick (and that sickness did not
> "manifest" itself, if yaknowhuttimean..just
> queasiness)...were my first rides on an Enterprise (now a
> favorite of mine); A Zipper, which I still like, but rarely
> find and probably couldn't fit if I did; and the Wonder
> House at Dutch Wonderland. These instances go back to my
> pre-teen years. I even had hair then.

> Mike

I know that certain flat rides tend to induce nausea/queasiness/vomiting more than roller coasters, which is why many refer to them as "spin 'n' spews", "whirl 'n' pukes", etc..
Up until I was around 19, I used to be afraid to go on roller coasters, with my main fear being getting sick from that "butterflies in the stomach" (or "leaving your stomach on top") feeling while going down the first drop, which I used to hate! Now when I ride a roller coaster I don't get the "butterflies" anymore.

Re: Getting Sick On Roller Coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/11/11 9:55:33 PM

> forces?

I don't personally get sick on coasters but some spinning rides and many of the motion simulator rides will do me in. Mostly the ones where the images move around you when you are still - rides like Back to the Future, Star Wars, DarKastle, etc I'm fine on. Houdini at SFGAdv completely ruined my entire day when I went on it and I spent the day seriously nauseated laying on a bench. I get EXTREMELY sea sick so for me it's a visual thing. If I focus on one thing on spinning rides I'm usually OK but I don't care enough about them to even bother. Enterprises are fine, Round ups and Rotors not so much.

My friend who gets sick on coasters says it's the inversions that do her in. Hills are fine. Griffon made her a little queasy but she was OK then Alpengeist did her in at BGE. Later in the day she went on Apollo's Chariot and handled that well.

Thank God I don't get sick on them - how horrible would that be?! I have read that you can condition yourself to get over it by riding frequently and then your body will learn to adjust. I guess similar to "sea legs".

Jen

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Getting Sick On Roller Coasters by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/12/11 12:16:20 AM

Interesting topic, so far the only reason I puked was this past July after my 3rd trip on the Air Race at Coney Island. THat was only because I didn't eat till just an hour before going on the ride [went to the doctor for my blood test]. So my stomach was pretty empty and the constant swinging around made me sick. THankfully I didn't puke in the ride, but it was near a bench on the park's grounds.

As for roller coasters, I have to say it wasn't till I was about 18-19 that my cousins dragged me on the Fire dragon at IOA. I was freaked out, but I didn't lose my lunch on it. THe following year after riding my first major coaster, I was ready to take on all the major coasters in Florida including the Hulk, which I was initially afraid of due to its height and launch.

Looking back at it now, I've changed a whole lot in 6 years. I can't get enough of the coasters and a ride like CHeetah hunt [which could scare some folks] didn't even phase me at all.

Re: Getting Sick On Roller Coasters by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 10/12/11 5:27:01 PM

I have never gotten sick on a ride. I can eat a whole thanksgiving meal and then go on anything! I am so grateful for that. Some of my friends get head aches on rough rides, not sick, but those don't effect me either! :)

The only thing that has changed with my age and getting diabetes is tolerance on "graying out".

Helixes (Nitro) get to me now, especially when I haven't or need to eat. My body can only take so much without eating now and it seems like my limit may be 25 consecutive rides on Nitro without moving. Still though, most normal people can't do that so I should be okay for a while. :D

- mugen

Re: Getting Sick On Roller Coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/12/11 7:33:53 PM

> Helixes (Nitro) get to me now, especially when I haven't or
> need to eat. My body can only take so much without eating
> now and it seems like my limit may be 25 consecutive rides
> on Nitro without moving. Still though, most normal people
> can't do that so I should be okay for a while. :D

> - mugen

Only 25? LOL! What is wrong with you people?! How can you stand to ride the same coaster 25+ times consecutively?! On our 5 rides on El Toro the other day: The first ride I thought "Awesome start to the day", the second, I thought "cool", the third, I thought "wow, no one is trying to ride the back seats?" and was starting to get bored, the fourth time I said "You guys are killing me!!!! and asked for a nail file so I could do my nails, the fifth I begged for reading material and stopped putting my hands in the air. When we came back to the station and someone was in the queue I shouted "Oh, Thank God!". I get SO bored riding the same coaster over and over again - no matter how great is it. It just gets old really fast for me and I enjoy each consecutive ride less and less. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Jen

Re: Getting Sick On Roller Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/12/11 7:47:35 PM

> the fourth time I said "You
> guys are killing me!!!! and asked for a nail file so I
> could do my nails,

Sorry, I didn't have one.

It
> just gets old really fast for me and I enjoy each
> consecutive ride less and less. Am I the only one who feels
> this way?

> Jen

No, you're not. It's just that when the opportunity comes up to marathon...which isn't very often..I take it. At parks that are new to me..or not terribly familiar..I'll rarely do it, unless a ride just really grabs me and won't let go..like Comet at Great Escape did this summer.

Mike

Re: Getting Sick On Roller Coasters by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 10/13/11 8:25:47 AM

> Helixes (Nitro) get to me now, especially when I haven't or
> need to eat. My body can only take so much without eating
> now and it seems like my limit may be 25 consecutive rides
> on Nitro without moving. Still though, most normal people
> can't do that so I should be okay for a while. :D

> - mugen

> Only 25? LOL! What is wrong with you people?! How can you
> stand to ride the same coaster 25+ times consecutively?! On
> our 5 rides on El Toro the other day: The first ride I
> thought "Awesome start to the day", the second, I
> thought "cool", the third, I thought "wow,
> no one is trying to ride the back seats?" and was
> starting to get bored, the fourth time I said "You
> guys are killing me!!!! and asked for a nail file so I
> could do my nails, the fifth I begged for reading material
> and stopped putting my hands in the air. When we came back
> to the station and someone was in the queue I shouted
> "Oh, Thank God!". I get SO bored riding the same
> coaster over and over again - no matter how great is it. It
> just gets old really fast for me and I enjoy each
> consecutive ride less and less. Am I the only one who feels
> this way?

> Jen

To a certain degree. But I love just riding. It's not so much about the thrill anymore, especially on my favorite coaster Nitro. I have been on it probably close to 700 times if I had to guess....so the thrill is almost gone, even on the first drop somehow. I just love the rush of the air, the view, and the fact that going 80mph while being 100+ feet in the air is even possible just makes it an enjoyable experience!

So idk, I do understand where you are coming from, but coasters are a lot more than just that feeling in the stomach you got when you first conquered your fear.

If that makes sense.

One of the best times to ride is when someone new is going on the ride for the first time. Those rides are always fun!!

- mugen

Re: Getting Sick On Roller Coasters by chris92se chris92se Profile at 11/25/11 9:01:35 PM

I only get sick on rides that spin. I cannot ride the tea cups at Disneyland, but I can ride California Screamin' 10 times in a day. As a young kid and today, I cannot ride anything at the county fairs -- Gravitron, Tilt-A-Whil, etc. Instant nausea.

However, I love big, fast, tall coasters. One time I got a pretty bad headache at SFMM after riding several coasters consecutively early in the morning with no lines. I think it was from Goliath. I took some Advil and it went away about 45 minutes later.

I wonder if it is like getting car sick for people in the back seat? Some people can't ride in the back seat at all.

Re: Getting Sick On Roller Coasters by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 11/26/11 2:16:38 PM

I've noticed it a little more as I've gotten older, but for the most part still pretty much have a rock hard stomach.

Only actually been sick on a ride once in my life- and that was when I was in college and with some friends at the fair. I'd just bought a big cherry slurpy and they insisted on going on the pirate ship. I wasn't going to throw my slurpy away, so I chugged it. Ooops, big mistake. Didn't even feel sick, but I did have to run home for a change of clothes.

Coasters have never bothered me- with one exception, and I was far from alone on it. That was Manta at it's press publicity day. They had us sitting on the coaster for ride after ride, and after several rides it really started to get to some of us. There were people in the FLCC that were getting very sick on it. I found I could do 3 rides fine, but then I had to take a 15 minute break before riding again or I would definitly start to feel nauseaus. There were at least 2 in the coaster club that lost their stomachs on the break run. I guess it's just something about the riding position and the way the forces acted on you. Some were fine (my son got a huge number of rides in that day), but others of us felt almost like wimps.

Re: Getting Sick On Roller Coasters by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/26/11 7:03:31 PM

Same here. I can ride maybe 5 times strait [no breaks] on the extreme coasters, but I would feel a bit light headed and 'out of breath'. For the most part I'm not in any hurry anyway, so to me I never feel I HAVE to ride so many times and so often in a short period of time.

I guess I am in a 'marathon' mode. I'm at the park for at least open to almost closing time so I have to pace myself.

Re: Getting Sick On Roller Coasters by maelstrom-xiii maelstrom-xiii Profile at 11/30/11 4:57:54 PM

The only time I've ever gotten sick from a coaster (not on it, thank goodness) was at Kings Dominion. I had just ridden Tomb Raider: Firefall with some friends, and then we rode Flight of Fear about 6 times consecutively...that did it for me. Lucky for me there's that restroom next to the Congo Grill...